Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

2023 was stacked this year for gaming. I didn't get half of the games that came out this year because I was too busy playing the other half. And I really struggled with the order for my top 3 this year.

~DemoneeHo's 2023 Game of the Year Rankings~

-Honorable Mentions-

FFXIV
I have not once canceled my subscription. Eventually I will run out of content between now and the release of the next expansion.

Process of Elimination
Nippon Ichi released a murder mystery Visual Novel with a twist: what if the investigation played like a watered down SRPG instead? The story is good with fun characters, but the actual gameplay of the investigation leaves a lot to be desired. You can draw a lot of parallels with Danganronpa with its writing and character designs.

Master Detective Archives: Rain Code
Speaking of Danganronpa, the creators of Danganronpa made a new mystery game. It’s decent enough, but only about half of the cases were interesting. It never quite reaches the highs nor the lows of its predecessor, but it is a fun enough romp. Hopefully they’ll release a sequel on a console with actual processing power.

Wario Land 3
Played this for the first time on the Switch, and I’d say it holds up very well as a Metroidvania-esque game.Tons of stages and secrets to discover.

World of Horror
The not-Junji Ito horror rougelite finally released version 1.0. It’s alright, kinda bs hard. But I’ll chalk that up to skill issue and haven’t had that much time to play it. We’ll see how I feel by next year’s goty list.

Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
RIP Sonic, 1991-2023

Sayonara Wild Hearts
This is not how it ends, this is not goodbye
'Cause wild hearts never die
Wild hearts never die
We're just changing our shape like butterflies
'Cause wild hearts never die
Wild hearts never die

Gravity Circuit
Very cool Megaman X/Zero-inspired game. Instead of shooting or slicing foes, you get to beat them up with your fists. Super fun, would love to see a sequel.

The Roottrees Are Dead
Another game in the Obra Dinn-like genre. I think that makes 3 total? It just barely missed out on the top 10 for me, but that is due to heavy competition this year.. Anyways it’s free and fun. Go play now.

-The Top Ten-

10. No More Heroes 3
Awesome Holiday in the Sky
Travis is back in a crazy, surreal goofball adventure. The trademark Suda51 writing shines throughout the game with offbeat humor and bombastic personality. And I did like most of the combat changes that this game implemented. But I didn’t love it as much as I did with NMH1 and 2. While mowing through a lawn of tall grass was oddly relaxing, I found myself missing the standard stages of mowing through waves of enemies in a bloody orgy of violence as a lead up to each boss. And fighting through shorter, closed-off battles located in a choppy overworld doesn’t scratch that same itch. Still, after Travis Strikes Back had stages that lasted way too long, I can live with the gameplay flow of 3.

9. The Case of the Golden Idol
The Watching Eye
The other game in the Obra-Dinn-like genre. Pick up a bunch of keywords and names, plug them into blanks and hope you got the right combination. Unlike most other mystery games where you determine who killed who, you also have to work backwards and find out the story leading up to each death. All the while picking up on the overarching plot of intrigue that ties each chapter together. It’s a unique and novel way to tell a story. The art and setting are very atmospheric. I just wish the game were longer. Highly recommend getting both of the dlc’s.

8. 30XX
Skybound
Since Megaman games are in a state of constant re-releases, other developers have stepped up to make some really good Megaman clones, like the aforementioned Gravity Circuit. 30XX is both a Megamanlike and a Roguelike that blends both concepts together rather nicely. Unlike 20XX which resembled an old Newgrounds Flash game, this game is fully pixelated and looks fantastic. Bright and vibrant graphics with a really catchy soundtrack. X and Zero, sorry, Nina and Ace let you play with two familiar play styles that have been expanded on. You can run and gun with a buster, and combine boss weapons into absurd attacks. Or you can get up close to enemies and hack them to bits with melee attacks. Add in the usual roguelite elements, you can get some really absurd weapon loadouts, which you’ll need to take down some late game bosses. Lots of replay value, and the fanmade stages on the steam workshop ain’t half bad. I’ll be playing this one years to come.

7. Fire Emblem Engage
Bloom in the Breeze
Straight up, FE Engage is jam packed full of tough maps that push you towards your limits. And yes, the writing of the main story largely exists to move characters from fight to fight with some standard fluff about family. So it is the strategy game equivalent of a Fast and Furious movie. Fortunately the gameplay more than makes up for the main story. A lot of chapters offer up challenging battles and interesting map design. There is a crazy amount of character customization, and combining that with the Ghosts of Emblem Past allows for some galaxy brain strategies. And you can find some fun character writing if you bother to, uh, engage with your units. The game is not without some criticism of its mechanics, but it is a fun strategy game through and through.

6. Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo
The Storyteller
A horror/mystery adventure game/visual novel? Yes please! The premise is that the real life urban legends known as the Seven Wonders of Honjo (actually nine) are in fact curses that have lingered for many years. And one night these curses activate and attach themselves to seven random people (actually nine) in town, who are told to kill each other. Now ordinary people have to utilize their new powers to navigate a deadly web of chaos and figure out how to get out of this alive. By which I mean they engage in Bizarre Jojo Battles.

There is a lot to gush about this game. The cast has a bunch of fun personalities, and the overarching mystery is quite gripping. The writing is top notch. Every twist and turn has the player guessing what comes next. Just a really solid story that I wish lasted longer than the seven hours (actually nine) it took me to complete it.

Side note: someone else earlier in the thread mentioned some mechanical similarities with 428 Shibuya Scramble. I would also put that on my top 10, but I didn’t play that this year.

5. Risk of Rain Returns
Coalescence
Risk of Rain 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I love the chaos of playing as a tiny little person fighting against huge swarms of huge enemies that explode into a rain of coins due to item interactions that I don’t quite understand. And now there is a new version of it with new characters, new modes, and most importantly, a functional multiplayer. It’s all I ever wanted.

4. Vampire Survivors
Forest Night Fever
Today I will select [THE DOG] character and I will pick up the [THOUSAND BLADES] weapon and the [BAYONETTA GUNS] weapon and the [POPEYE VEGETABLE] passive and kill [43827] enemies.

3. Hi-Fi Rush
The Rush
Invaders Must Die
Whirring
This one just came out of nowhere, but I’m glad that it did. Who knew that the studio behind The Evil Within would make a game about a slacker who gets a robot arm and an ipod heart that lets him beat up robots with a guitar? And it just works. Take a simplified DMC or Bayonetta game, blend it with some rhythm minigames, add in a dash of saturday morning cartoon and anime aesthetics, a rockin’ soundtrack, and finally some goofball humor, and you’ll end up with one of the most fun beat em up game released in years.

The game isn’t without some flaws. Enemies with color-coded barriers break the flow of combat. Platforming is vestigial. Some stages could have been broken up into multiple shorter ones. I really hated an escape sequence that has an instant death failure. But I also remember the parts that I loved about the game. How I got better at timing beats to string together some kickass combo attacks. I love the goofball jokes and homages and Chai’s idiotic antics. I love the boss battles and fighting wave after wave of deadly robots set to music by The Prodigy or Nine Inch Nails or a cover of Fiona Apple. It’s a game that knows that it is silly and isn’t afraid to be earnestly silly.

2. Armored Core VI: The Fires of Rubicon
Contact With You
Once again From Software made a game that kicked my rear end and once again I was forced to git gud. Armored Core VI is fast, intense, pulse-pounding. It pushed my reflexes to the limit. I got wrecked more times than I can remember. I died 20 times to the last boss of chapter 2. I swore at the game, put it down for 5 minutes, and came back and beat the fucker. It’s a thrilling game. It’s exhilarating. It’s difficult. It tells the story of humans crushed by rampant capitalism. It tells the story of a race of people struggling to fight for survival. It tells the story of bloodthirsty warriors out for a challenge. It tells the story of those traumatized by the past and their doomed journey to control the future. It tells the story of friendship and loyalty.

The customization in this game is top notch. You make any mech you want. Lightweight and zippy and frail. Big and tanky and full of ammo. Whatever the situation calls for, you can make any crazy build you want. Make your AC look like EVA 01, or give it the ol’ Spongebob paint job. There is no “right” or “wrong” AC, there are only ACs that defeat the enemies.

At this point I'm rambling. Armored Core Vi is an excellent wait. Rev up those engines, fight against gravity, let the thrill of battle take you.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Colgera Battle
It’s loving Zelda.

Okay, i’ll try to do a proper writeup.

BOTW was in my top 3 Zelda games, below Majora’s Mask and Link’s Awakening. It completely redefined the series in its approach to nonlinearity and freedom to let the player approach any situation however they so choose. The map was huge and had a metric ton of secrets. How were they going to improve on that? Rather than make a new map wholecloth, Nintendo instead revamped the physics engine and turned the game into Zelda Nuts and Bolts. Now players had better powers to play with and more tools to get around any situation. Make a rocket glider or a hover bike or a flamethrowing deathbot. You could create whatever mechanical monstrosity you wanted to in order transport Koroks or fly across ravines. It’s loving insane the sheer amount of options available to you. The sky’s literally the limit.

Dungeons did see improvement in terms of level design. They were still rather easy to beat like in its predecessor, but at least the temples felt like dungeons. I do have to knock on the underground map. It is too big and boring and bland. And the story has absolutely no faith in its characters. Just let Link’s friends have some degree of reactivity to the plot, I beg you Nintendo. And speaking of said friends, wow, they really chose that way to implement the sage powers. Baffling decision.

Despite the fact that I was going through the same Hyrule as before, I still had fun discovering new secrets and shrines. TOTK really gets me in a way that most other open world games cannot. No stupid waymark pointing out every attraction on the field. Just pure freedom to travel the land and sky, wind blowing in Link's hair, however I want.

Anyways, that wraps up 2023 for me. Now I gotta see what all the hype is about for BG3 and Lethal Company.

Top 10 for 2023
10. No More Heroes 3
9. The Case of the Golden Idol
8. 30XX
7. Fire Emblem Engage
6. Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo
5. Risk of Rain Returns
4. Vampire Survivors
3. Hi-Fi Rush
2. Armored Core VI: The Fires of Rubicon
1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Top ten cool/interesting games that I never heard of until reading this thread and added to my steam wishlist

ImpAtom posted:

1. In Stars and Time
Probably my overlooked game of the year. The premise is simple: You join an end-game RPG party as they prepare to fight up to the final boss. However their rogue is killed by a trap moments after entering. They are revived at the start of the day and quickly realize that they are looping back to the start every time they die. Now they have to find a way to the top and to defeat the evil boss!

It's a cute premise but what really sets the game apart is how well it leans into the concept of being trapped in a time loop, the amount of reactivity and flexibility it has, and the gradual way it follows the protagonist as they become increasingly dull and numb to the otherwise charming and delightful world. It's a genuinely excellent and incredibly well crafted game and is probably my non-BG3 game of the year by far.

DalaranJ posted:

10) Chants of Sennaar
Chants of Sennaar is a game about understanding. This is a game where you deduce a series of word based languages based on interacting with written runes and the people who speak the languages. I found the bright colors in the art really distinct and appealing, and the conlang puzzles were great, but I thought some of the other puzzles were a bit weak. Fortunately, the respawn is really generous in the stealth sections.

Nephthys posted:

The Sekimeiya – An interesting form of mystery, I thought this had a lot of potential and I love the quality of life features such as a full reference system and section to write notes about each scene. The writing is good and the mysteries are genuinely really loving difficult. If you want a measure of how good this year was, I was fairly sure this was going to be in my top 3 when I finished it and it somehow didn't even make the top 10.

The Painscreek Killings – I love the idea of this, exploring a deserted town uncovering the truth behind the murders that drove everyone away. It's very atmospheric and while it can be a little frustrating at times, it truly lets you experience the joy of piecing everything together like a real detective. I also managed to make the game twice as scary for myself as it was supposed to be which was a huge plus.

An Actual Princess posted:

6. corru.observer
This one might need a little explanation. corru.observer (stylized that way intentionally) is what initially appears to be a weird internet art project, but turns out to be a kind of ... visual novel, I guess.

The premise is this: in the future, aliens made contact and made a base here on earth, seeming to be largely friendly. At some point however, 'something' happened and the aliens retreated into their base and the whole place went dark, and they haven't been heard from since. Years past that event, an artifact of those aliens is found and you're brought in to examine what turns out to be basically an alien hard drive containing the memories of an alien in the base when the event happened.

You explore this alien's memories, seeing her interactions with humans and her own kind, and then going through the event firsthand. It's extremely dialogue-heavy but the worldbuilding is utterly fascinating, and the presentation is unique, basically presenting everything through the alien's terms and perspectives.

Also, the whole thing looks like this:

Without spoiling too much (as I desperately hope people will see and read this and decide to try it out for themselves) the game shifts genres radically throughout the experience, and doesn't just stay an interactive web story. I was enthralled by the characters, the visuals, the worldbuilding, everything. I played up through everything that was available a few months ago and haven't checked back since, so I don't believe it's finished just yet. Still, there's a ton to explore, and I encourage everyone to do so.

Jossar posted:

Edit from the Future: Balatro is probably gonna be one of my games of 2024, but no matter how much time I've already sank into this addictive poker roguelike, I just can't bear to give a full game of the year spot to a demo.

Erwin the German posted:

6. Shadows of Doubt

Here’s a really good immersive sim that gets to the heart of what it’s all about - offering novel powers, different ways of going about your objectives, and lots of vent crawling and generalized ratfuckery. Gig to live in a low-tech cyberpunk hellscape where soda corporations own everything and the cops no longer give a poo poo about figuring out who did the deed - there’s private detectives for that. Lots of ways to play, and I’m eager to get back to it once there’s a bit more to it. Fortunately they just added more robust mod support, and have been updating it with new content as well. Well worth the money in early access.

Venuz Patrol posted:

9. BOSSGAME: The Final Boss is Your Heart
[Steam]

BOSSGAME is an action rpg about two dirtbag lesbians, Sophie and Anna, trying to earn rent money by taking random mercenary work in the big city. The story is low pressure fun, with a little melodrama mixed in to spice things up. The plot is needs-suiting, even maybe good, but the reason this game is on the list is the gameplay.

BOSSGAME is really, really fun to play. It uses a combat system reminiscent of the Mario and Luigi rpgs in which both party members are controlled simultaneously. Enemies telegraph attacks that need to be blocked using the left or right side of the gamepad based on character, draining stamina. Attacking also drains stamina, so a careful balance of offense and defense needs to be maintained to survive. Most interestingly, there's no turns: enemies repeat attack patterns usually without waiting for a counterattack, so combat becomes a brain-bending routine of multitasking, with one character needing to block attacks while the other sneaks in some damage. A combo system encourages keeping up constant pressure, with the reward being increased progress toward a super attack that can briefly stun bosses and allow some easy hits before returning to defensive play. The end result is fast paced, engaging, and totally unique combat that was fun to learn for each of the dozens of boss fights in the game.

I'm glad this game ended up being good enough to recommend here, not just because I, too, am lesbian, but because I love designers that are willing to take a chance on unique control schemes. Part of the fun of playing BOSSGAME was getting to learn how to play without being able to rely on any of the muscle memory I've accrued over years of playing other action games. I only wish it weren't so short. Of all the games on this list, this is the one I would most want to see expanded into a full 40-60 hour RPG epic.

Oxxidation posted:

7. Turbo Overkill

Turbo Overkill made me feel my age. Frenetic movement shooters have been increasingly trendy for a while now, but I could only clear two or three stages of this at a time before I had to take a break and recharge. From the blistering movement speed, to the neon-soaked cyberpunk locales, to the voice acting where every cast member (including the Duke himself Jon St. Jon) is chewing so much scenery it’s a marvel they don’t choke on it, every part of Turbo Overkill is a celebration of excess, and it keeps all those plates spinning until the credits.

Some games that spend ages in Early Access suffer for it, as they become so focused on appealing to the early adopters that they alienate people who jump on when the final version is released, but I didn’t start Turbo Overkill until it was in 1.0 and I’m glad for it. Its lengthy development time can be felt in the ridiculous amount of innovation it keeps throwing at you – at heart it’s a lower-poly Doom Eternal with a far less restrictive weapons system (no “use x to kill y” proscriptions here, just point your meanest guns in the general direction of whatever you want to gib) and an even faster movement pace, but it keeps changing things up with a huge variety of locales and gameplay gimmicks, all of which mesh well with the core shooting. There’s at least three vehicle sections and all of them are a blast. Even the sewer levels are fun to navigate. Meanwhile the movement and weapon upgrades keep rolling out at a steady pace, until you’re so kitted out that you can barely move without dismembering something.

And Turbo Overkill justifies its excess. The base pistol’s alt-fire can lock onto and insta-gib multiple enemies from across an entire map, and that kind of power is a necessity for the encounters it throws at you – hordes of stampeding melee fodder buff out the huge roster of more sophisticated enemies, and the final kill count for every stage tends to reach the triple digits well before you’re finished. In the last of the game’s three episodes, after I fought through an interspace war between galactic military and the cyborg hordes that culminated with surfing a nuclear missile into an orbital weapons platform, I had to go have a lie down. The episode wasn’t half finished.

Mix. posted:

27. MalViolence

A game jam VN where you find yourself kidnapped by the teenage sidekick of a recently deceased supervillain, and the things you discover while trying to escape from their secret base. I’m being really coy/vague here because I’ve been considering doing an LP of this as a palate cleanser since, well, it’s a game jam game, it’s not that long, but I do actually think this game is really well put together visually and mechanically. The fact it was made in a month but somehow manages to have fully animated sprites for the characters you encounter through the monitors in the base, some actual voice acting in places, and actual puzzles is incredible. They recently released a prequel for an October game jam but I haven’t played that one yet, and if I do end up LPing this I’ll probably just do both in the same LP. :v:

Mix. posted:

5. Methods

Oh hey, it's the VN I'm going to be LPing after I finish Divine Deception! And may already have about a third of the game completely prepared already! That's how much I clicked with this VN just on all levels - visuals, music, aesthetic, and quality of writing. ...And that's not even getting into the respect I have for the creator because the entirety of this game is made by one person - 3d assets, sprites, music, writing, you name it, they did it. Insane. Because I'm going to be LPing this and I DO want people to not know much going in, I'm going to be vague, but the very broad setup is that this is a story about a detective competition - specifically, 100 detectives are competing to solve fake mysteries devised by 100 criminals, with the number of participants reducing after each mystery, over the course of multiple rounds. At the end, the final detective will face off against the final criminal in a mystery of the criminal's sole creation. If the detective can fully solve it, they win, but if they can't, the criminal wins. Regardless of who wins, the winner will recieve a substantial cash prize, but should the criminal win they also will recieve a full pardon of their criminal history, no matter how severe or extensive it may be. As the competition continues, however, questions start piling up, especially in regards to what the purpose of such a competition even holds, or who could be powerful enough to head up such a thing...

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

1. Elsinore

Elsinore is my favorite game of the decade, and perhaps of the century. I do not foresee it leaving the first place any time soon.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Microcline posted:

DemoneeHo
Your closest match is Help Im Alive based on a shared interest in: Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo, The House in Fata Morgana, Gnosia, AI: The Somnium Files, Guilty Gear Strive, Metroid Dread, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Resident Evil 2 (2019), Final Fantasy XIV, Outer Wilds, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, The Great Ace Attorney
Your top 5 recommendations are: Disco Elysium, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Baldur's Gate 3, Lies of P, Hitman 2 (2018)

Those recommendations are all games that I do actually wanna play and haven't yet, so thats pretty accurate.

How does everyone feel about Hitman 2? Better or worse than its prequel or sequel?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Chaos... reigns