Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Got into this from last year's Year of the Game thread, but sure I'll try and throw some stuff in for Game of the Year instead.

Absolutely no illusions held that any of these is going to win, as expected from the taste of someone who spent 1/6 of the year playing Palia and clicker games. Really, this is more dumping my personal retrospective for the year than anything else.

Honorable Mentions

Aka, "I realized that I had more than ten games, but still wanted to include these guys in somewhere." Main defining features are shortness and not having some relation to 2023 itself.

Meltdown is a cover arcade shooter with an excuse plot about defeating out of control robots, that only exists to lead you into the game. But it's extremely well built, comes with a wide variety of enemy robots and weapon builds with which to take them on, and going into bullet time as you leap over obstacles is always amusing. After playing it on-again off-again for a while, managed to finally beat and 100% Meltdown this year, which is going to be a theme going forward. Funny enough, for all the new games that came out this year, 2023 was really more of a spring cleaning year for me than anything else.

I'm sorry, Ineffiable and Kull the Conqueror! I really did like Sayonara Wild Hearts, but I was also kind of bad at it, so I just settled for clearing the game, which took about an hour and a half. It's a wonderful little experience, but you also have to really vibe with it to be more than a passing fancy, and sadly I did not.

So I played a decent amount of modded Minecraft this year. But the mod in question was a big complicated mess that hasn't been updated in several years. Honestly, this and the number 10 on my formal list could be swapped out pretty interchangeably, but Minecraft will be here as a dark horse contender forever, and I'd rather save putting it on a list for a year where it felt like it deserved the placement more. Did manage to beat the Ender Dragon though, which I've never done before. So props to that.

Edit from the Future: Balatro is probably gonna be one of my games of 2024, but no matter how much time I've already sank into this addictive poker roguelike, I just can't bear to give a full game of the year spot to a demo.

Top 10 Games of the Year

10) Putting Eco here feels like cheating, as it's basically a Minecraft mod that managed to hit escape velocity and break free of its parent game. The only thing that drags it ahead is the promise of the big 10.0 update in a little over a week, which promises a ton of content after the rest of the year was spent mostly focusing on performance updates. But as a continuation from 2022, it's the game I always find myself returning to when I'm not in the mood for anything else. Like Minecraft and Meltdown, also managed to finally force myself to reach the endgame (blowing up the meteor) after spending the last couple of years screwing around.

Edit from the Future: 10.0 did change the game significantly, and in theory I like the changes, although in practice it feels like the game has only exacerbated the necessity of having a lot of players, most of whom ought to be stacked on top of one another in a single town with the exception of the iron miners.

9) I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in Apollyon: River of Life, and that's part of the charm. It's an RPG where you're constantly rotating the board to alter planar influence in the hopes of modifying card selections as well as triggering a bunch of other miscellaneous effects. Then you go and resolve whatever the cards say as measured by RNG, choice selection, and tests against your various attributes. You can tell death to screw off with the right set of equipment and banishing the influence of the negative energy plane for a round! There is also multiplayer, which I must imagine makes Apollyon even more of a mess as people just slap the board around like idiots, until everyone fails physical tests against The Horrors two turns in a row and dies. I feel like once you fully understand what's going on here, the game is functionally (although not perfectly) solved, but Apollyon is about the journey towards acquiring knowledge regarding its world and systems more than the destination. And what a magical one it is at that.

8) I'm pretty sure I mentioned Waves of Steel elsewhere as a "goon-made arcade cavalcade of naval destruction", and I stand by that statement. Fans of truly accurate naval simulators had better get out of the way, before my giant surfboard stacked with 20 missile launchers and blasting off at 140 knots bowls them over while I fight this air-train boss that lays down its own railroad tracks in the sky. Everyone else, welcome aboard! ...Okay fine, the naval folks can come back and mess around with the ship designer if they want to min-max the carnage, this is an all-inclusive fleet, after all. The one downside that the game has is that there isn't really much to do outside of its 10-ish hour campaign and a few bonus missions, but it's a blast while it lasts.

7) Although I have personally grown tired of Yi Xian: The Cultivation Card Game, I cannot deny that it's a very well designed card-based autobattler that provided me with a lot of high-flying challenges this year. Even now, I still think that making the main game mode an 8-man round robin where your goal is as much based on surviving a wide variety of matchups as it is outright crushing your opponents is an interesting choice. Can lead to some satisfying stories where you were getting clowned on by everyone, until one amazing turn let you ramp back up to win the match or at least get back into the winners' circle. And of course, can't forget about the PvE dungeon, puzzle and story modes, and frequent gimmick events too. Against all odds, still has 1-2 fanatically obsessed fans here on the forums, who would absolutely name it their GOTY. Planning on going F2P at the beginning of next year, which is an interesting choice, although it seems like they're banking on people buying cosmetics as the main revenue source anyway.

6) I played a bunch of Survivors games in the middle of the year, and so they form the middle of my list. Brotato is the least power-trippy, because you can only increase in power so much from metaprogression, but that just makes victory against the endless hordes of aliens all the more satisfying. Funnily enough, for everything except the big V, what I value the most in these games is diversity of play, and like the spud which inspires it, Brotato is endlessly nourishing on this front. You've got your classic murder-machines, dodge-tanks, boss-killers, money-makers, turret-constructors, multi-weapon builds, single-weapon builds, even a dedicated pacifist. Some of these are more viable than others, especially on higher difficulty levels, but it's definitely possible to win with them all, which makes the replayability on Brotato absolutely astounding.

Edit from the Future: The Brotato dev just announced that there's going to be more mods and DLC coming up for the game in 2024. Guess a Survivors dev is never truly done with the game after all!

5) Boner. Alright, there, I got my obligatory quota out of the way when talking about Boneraiser Minions, now let's discuss the game. While I still think that Brotato has more playstyle diversity within its particular framework, Boneraiser Minions is the much more interesting game from a genre-wide perspective, because for nearly all of the classes you aren't controlling your damage output directly. That's what the eponymous minions are for. This lack of control, combined with the game's difficult graphical design and blatantly puerile humor makes Boneraiser Minions a lot more of a challenge to get into than other Survivors games. But if you can manage to get past all that and figure out how the game works, then you'll find that there's a lot of content to reward a sufficiently dedicated player. As a measure of that and its ranking, was prouder of having managed to complete NGF+2 here than my Danger 5 win on Brotato.

From here on out, I'll be mentioning my favorite track from each game, and for Boneraiser that has to be The Hero Approaches. A valiant track that, unless you're like me and have it set as your default base music, will be most familiar to players as the music that shows up alongside the Paladins and Royal Guards, marking the last hectic stretch of the game before the final boss arrives.

4) Well, obviously I wasn't going to post those other Survivors without mentioning Vampire Survivors, duh. The king of the genre is here for a reason. Others have done a lot of interesting and nuanced things with it, but you're here to see the screen explode with sixty-three thousand particle effects and watch numbers going up and nobody does that better than Vampire Survivors. I bought it last year, picked at it for a bit, and then became fanatically obsessed with it in 2023. And of course, even moreso than caiys (the Boneraiser Minions dev), Luca Galante and poncle will just not stop updating the thing. In addition to DLC and updates already released this year like Tides of Foscari and Co-Op, we're getting Adventure Mode on the 6th, for crying out loud! Truly no better time to be a Vampire Survivors fan than 2023!

Edit from the Future: Oh, and apparently poncle decided to drop an additional Among Us Collab DLC on the 18th, just before the year ends. Seems sus, but it's only $2.49, so why not.

While the entire Vampire Survivors soundtrack is stunning, my favorite has to be I'm Every Reaper, the B-side track to Capella Magna. A baroque harpsichord start leading to hard rock/metal, which perfectly reflects on the defiled purity of the chapel around you.

3) Tale of Immortal is the perfect embodiment of a xianxia game. I've gotten distracted by other things this year and so have played it a lot less than I would like, and it does have the downside of being very, very grindy and often frustrating. This... isn't really selling Tale of Immortal very well, I know. But man, oh man, if you're the sort of person who's spent hours upon hours reading thousand chapter long webnovels, or played tons of janky kung fu MMOs in the late 00s and early 10s, your soul already belongs to this game in part, and it will eat your life if you let it.

Fitting my inability to describe this game, like the true Dao, the best song I have for it is the mysterious main menu theme. What lurks beyond? You'll just have to dive in to find out.

2) The only game on this list actually released in 2023. Not "came out of early access" or "got a bunch of content updates", but honest to goodness released in 2023. Wandering Sword is a wonderful RPG that, if still a little bit janky, is much less so than Tale of Immortal and can either be a breezy 20 hour experience or a high double digit meander throughout an expansive world. You get to make friends with people, then beat them up and steal their kung fu techniques and teapots. It's the perfect wuxia game, and the devs are committed to making it even better over the course of the next year. I do worry that with the year being so packed and Wandering Sword's plot being a little formulaic, it's likely to be forgotten about altogether though.

Cheating a little bit by posting a violin cover of the battle theme, but this is pretty much on point to what it sounds like. Very stirring, a clear sign that you have entered the world of the Jianghu and best be prepared to perform deeds of martial valor!

1) Has Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition had a good year? Ehhh... Return of Rome was pretty much a complete non-entity of a DLC unless you love the Romans as a civilization and The Mountain Lords is sort of middling even without considering worries of DLC price hikes going forwards. But it's certainly been my game of the year. Even if some campaigns are more fun than others, on the whole it has been a positive experience going through entirety of the thing and the final mission of the Bari campaign was probably the single most emotionally engaging experience I've had with gaming all year:

I was an incredible failure who abandoned the city that I was sworn to protect. I was just doing my duty to the Catepan that I had sworn to serve. Bari was left to stand on its own. Bari rose up to take its defense into its own hands. Nothing I did mattered, until the final charge of Cataphracts to repulse the Normans and save the day. Everything I did mattered, until the final departure to seek help from the Byzantines, after which the siege was lost.

For everyone else, AoEII's year should really be next year. That's the 25th anniversary, and maybe Forgotten Empires will do something really big for it that everyone can acknowledge, like reworking the Chinese into multiple civilizations or one of the many other projects floating around the rumor mill. And I'm only halfway through the campaigns by pure numbers, with the best supposedly yet to come, so I could probably wait and see. But if I wasn't moved enough to fight on its behalf by now, when would I ever be?

As it has always been, the best representation of Age of Empires II is its main theme. I've picked the medley version/extended mix that combines the best of what's old with features of the new elements that the game has acquired over the years.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Nobody's even mentioned all the Minecraft MMOs, quest packs, or modified large-scale multiplayer modes/servers that exist, which at least for a given duration can help to give purpose to an otherwise often purposeless game. There's a reason I said Minecraft is going to be a dark horse contender forever, even if it didn't happen to be my game of 2023. And even then it came really close, only because I was playing a mod from several years ago instead and wanted my list to be all games that had at least some form of content from the current year.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

fez_machine posted:

3.Balatro demo
This game is going to make so much money when it comes out

I love Balatro so much, but it definitely does feel like we're being jerked around a little with respect to its' release. The game is so close to being done! Or at least released into proper early access. Expect this to be on a GotY list of mine eventually.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

ColdPie posted:

What on earth

CUBE

Especially in Definitive Edition, the positioning of certain resources and walls can be difficult to interpret quickly for a game requiring as high APM as Age of Empires II does, so the cubemod makes it so that certain visual aspects of the game are rendered as cubes instead. This is useful to ensure that say... you haven't accidentally cut a hole in your woodline (represented by the green cubes) by early Castle Age without noticing and walling it up, leaving the back of your base open to assault by a bunch of enemy Knights. Also the cubes are pretty cool.

And yeah, glad to see another person put AoEII on their list!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 31, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

If I'd known Balatro was gonna get traction even as a demo, I would have dumped Apollyon into honorable mentions and picked that instead. Might still go back and list it without a number, even though that means nothing mechanically.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Oh, if it's time for stupid lists...

Top 10 Favorite Balatro Jokers

(Subject to change when the game releases, contents may have already changed during playtesting.)

10. Ceremonial Dagger
Rarity: Uncommon
Effect: When Blind is selected, destroy Joker to the right and permanently add its sell value to this Mult

Mechanically this card is very weak - by the time you find it, you'll almost certainly have your playstyle for the run down enough that you don't want to be giving up Jokers for a bit of mult, even relatively useless ones. Maybe if clogging up the joker hand was more of a concern or if you were always guaranteed a "dummy" joker after every blind it would be more useful? Aesthetically and conceptually though, it's neat.

9. Oops! All 6s
Effect: Doubles all probabilities

Many of my personal favorite jokers screw around with probability, allowing you to manipulate the odds of other jokers. Oops! All 6s is an unflashy, workhorse joker that I appreciate for making many of my favorite combinations possible, while not being quite as effective as some of the others on this list.

8. Space Joker
Effect: 1 in 5 chance per hand played to upgrade poker hand level

A fun card... when it works. Upgrading poker hand level is one of the quickest ways to make more chips in the early game that still pays off dividends late game (although for the most part you've switched to actively focusing on Mult by that point) and the Space Joker lets you boost the hands that you play the most often without having to rely on Planet cards showing up. One of the jokers that you definitely want to see early on, but toss later.

7. Gros Michel
Rarity: Common
Effect: +10 Mult, 1 in 10 chance this card is destroyed every round

Obviously not to be combined with Oops! All 6s! At least not without a long term plan for its replacement. This humble banana is a staple crop of many early decks for its ability to provide a cheap and easy multiplier effect earlier on. Alas, much like its real world counterpart, the Gros Michel is doomed to eventual failure as it rots itself from the inside, probably due to panama disease. Hopefully by that point you've modified your deck and jokers enough to the point where it is no longer needed. The developer has confirmed that due to the Gros Michel's popularity, more varieties of banana joker will be coming to the main game.

6. Ring Master
Effect: Jokers, Tarots, and Planet cards appear multiple times

One of the Jokers that has nothing to do with hand gameplay but revolves around run meta. A key to unlocking run-shattering combos that stands out from jokers like Oops! All 6s by letting you do something that is otherwise literally impossible within the rules, doubling up on cards.

5. Onyx Agate
Rarity: Rare
Effect: 1 in 4 chance for X2 Mult for each played card with Club suit

The multiplier effect pings each individual card, making this joker truly bonkers. This guy was key to a run during one of the playtests where I ended up with a hand worth 8 digits in chips.

4. Supernova
Effect: Adds the number of times poker hand has been played to Mult

What the Gros Michel usually graduates to in my decks. The endgame of Balatro consists of refining your deck so you play the same hand over and over again, so a card that grows stronger with repetition is always great, and this is one of the better ones. A solid early-joker hand provider of a lot of base mult, to then be multiplied to ridiculous levels by the later in priority order jokers.

3. Dusk
Effect: Trigger each card in final hand of round 2 times when played

I love this card's ability to pull out big flashy finishing hands. Basically changes the game to Yu-Gi-Oh!, right down to encouraging you to point dramatically at the screen as you tell the Boss Blind "don't think you've won this duel just yet!"

2. Chicot
Rarity: Legendary
Effect: Disables effect of every boss blind

"He will be laughing still, at the end."

1. Blueprint
Rarity: Rare
Effect: Copies the ability of the Joker to the right

Yeah, yeah, most powerful joker in the game, real original. Don't care. Due to how order of operations work in Balatro, the rightmost joker in your hand should always be the craziest, post-everything else ability you've got, so the guaranteed ability to play it twice is ludicrous.

More lists to come, hopefully.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 1, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Even though my backlog is incredibly full, nevertheless this and related threads got me to add the following onto/back onto my wishlist:

- Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
- Marvel's Midnight Suns
- Pentiment
- Erannorth Chronicles
- Gordian Quest
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Astraea: Six Sided Oracles
- Hexarchy
- Backpack Battles
- Final Profit: A Shop RPG
- Railroader

Okay, 1-2 of those were basically out of nowhere, but if you did mentioned one of those in this thread, it has at least partially contributed to a future impulse buy.

This, of course, looks nothing like my Top 9 - To Play List

- (more) Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
- (more) Tale of Immortal
- (more) Apollyon: River of Life
- Grim Dawn
- Astral Ascent
- Halls of Torment
- Slay the Spire
- SokoChess
- Pathfinder Kingmaker

This, of course, is completely meaningless and I expect to ramble around my backlog completely at random anyway.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, not the biggest replier here, but I do make sure to go through all the lists. They even got me to add a few more games to the wishlist after that thing I posted (everybody keeps recommending Elsinore, for instance).

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The 7th Guest posted:

alright, here are games I'm looking forward to in 2024!

(Yes, neither has more solid release dates than their quarter and Hades II is just the early access, it's enough.)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Okay checked my wishlist and there's a biiiit more than Balatro and Hades II. I mean, obviously there's those, but here's some other fun stuff promised for 2024.

Songs of Silence: (Q1 2024) My Steam thread review of Songs of Silence was "what if you were playing a slightly less complicated version of Dominions, but the big difference is they let you do your combat orders in real time rather than having to program them in advance" and that's as good as a gist-conveying statement as anything else.

Roots of Yggdrasil: (January 24th, 2024) Deck-based City Builder with limited time before Yggdrasil forces a reboot. Can't really escape comparisons to Against the Storm, but for what it's worth, when comparing the demo-versions of each, I liked this one more. Entirely to taste though.

Earthless: (2024) The Homeworld guys make a sci-fi roguelike deckbuilder with grid-based tactical combat. I know it isn't set in the Homeworld universe, but they're sure pushing the feel as though it is.

Boomerang Jack (2024) I may be the only person in the world genuinely excited for Boomerang Jack, the spectacle fighter/action platformer that looks like an early 2000s flash game.

HeistGeist (2024) This game hacked its way into my heart one NextFest with a very smartly paced setup for cyberpunk heists via two different cardgames played in on-off rounds with interactions between different parts of the heist. Hopefully they make things a little more balanced between sections by the time this releases.

Solium Infernum (February 14, 2024) A little bit less excited for this than I was before League of Geeks decided to can Jumplight Odyssey and half its' employees, otherwise it would have been in my immediate to-buy pile along with Balatro and Hades II. I'm hoping that because there's clearly been more company investment in this game of backbiting, hellish politics it'll be good. But, well... pride goeth.

Baladins (2024) The world's cutest, bite-sized session, Co-OP RPG.

Umigame (2024) Okay, this is the only one I'm absolutely 100% convinced is going to be a disaster no matter what, mostly because the NextFest demo was held together with spit and duct tape. But y'know, complete disaster in a still-kind of fun way. The appeal of bouncing around an aquatic environment at top speed as a Battle Turtle armed with lightsabers is too fun of a concept to not look forward to.

Lightyear Frontier (March 2024) They crash-landed Battlemechs in Stardew Valley.

Nivalis (2024) Cyberpunk Slice of Life Sim. Gonna say it's right in between HeistGeist and Lightyear Frontier in terms of tone. The corps might harvest your organs... but you've got a noodle cart/nightclub/whatever to run!

Starminer (2024) Mine asteroids to build a fleet to defend yourself while you harvest more asteroids to build a bigger fleet to blow stuff up and make money. Numbers must go up, no matter who stands in your way.

Alliance of the Sacred Suns (2024) I feel like this politics-in-space/managing an empire game's been in development hell for a bit, but the developer's promising that it's coming out in 2024 for realsies, so I guess we'll see. Remember, you only get one lifetime to fix the empire!

Helldivers 2 (February 8, 2024) I don't really know anything about this one, apart from it being a big ol' rooty tooty shooty experience but it looks fun enough from screenshots to anticipate playing.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 3, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks to everybody who posted lists this year, I found out about a lot of games that just sailed right under my radar. I didn't realize this thread was a regular thing (I don't really post in this forum with any regularity, though maybe I should) so it was cool to see all the thought and effort that people put into their lists.

And a second thank you to everybody posting their anticipated games for 2024. Is there just like... a thread where people post about cool new games that came out? I've lost a lot of faith/respect for most game news outlets and haven't had much luck finding any that are a good source for "hey this cool thing just came out" kind of news without having to sift through a bunch of "The greatest RAM of 2023 just went on sale, here are twelve affiliate links" articles in the process.

While a lot of the people in genre threads post about new stuff in their particular niche coming out, or the Steam thread generally, I think you're primarily looking for the Fresh Releases thread which is purpose built for this. I'd probably check the Steam thread just as much, though, tbh.

Edit: Beaten, but still think it's worth mentioning the others anyway.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Terper posted:

#1 This shark

is your friend and party member

Gah, it's so tempting!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Oh hey, made it back in time for the list countdown!

Time to see if anything I picked even makes top 60.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The "much more" is doing a lot of work in that sentence, yes.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Also, double checked my list, and indeed nothing's making it to Top 60. Oh well, I remain excited to see what's here in any event.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Kay Kessler posted:

:lol: ing that the Fate mobile game scored higher than the actual Fate game that came out this year.

Probably a lot more people still playing the mobile game though, and it does keep releasing new content!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm pretty sure Cassette Beasts isn't for me, but it's definitely a game (alongside Siralim Ultimate) that is very satisfying for fans of the monster-catching and battling genre.

...I still have to go back and try Temtem again before I even think about poking at one of those.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Ah, the 30s. The ranking list sweet spot of "dudes ordering around other dudes to fight things on their behalf."

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Nice.

Surprised Diablo IV made it, but I guess maybe I just heard too many of those 40,000 word Reddit posts or their SA equivalent.

EDIT: Yeah, Ghost Trick!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 13, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Can't wait for ATS to be one of my games of 2024 now that it's finally out of early access, when I eventually get around to it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Regy Rusty posted:

Stop playing Disco Elysium! It's growing too powerful!

What are you, a cop?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Was confused at Pentiment being so low, but then remembered it was among those getting top marks last year.

Most curious to see where that one Rhythm game that everybody liked ends up.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Ineffiable posted:

You're gonna like anton blast or whatever that other one is.

Also I played jedi survivor in december. I'm not sure it's gonna make my top ten for 2024 either.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1887400/ANTONBLAST/

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

There it is!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Curious to see what the game with the highest overall average is, especially as we head towards the top 10. The highest one so far is Hollow Knight, averaging at 8.8, right?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Ah, whoops. Guess it's been couple hours since I read the Hollow Knight post. Proceed to justly clown on me until the next ranking's up.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 13, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The little non-From Soulslike that could.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Huh. Surprised it didn't make top 5 with how effusive the praise was for it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Regy Rusty posted:

Plagiarism of who?? FromSoft? They don't have copyright on a genre

Lies of IP

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

fridge corn posted:

Absolutely bonkers i honestly wasn't expecting any surprises this year but here we are

I mean, I wasn't expecting Final Fantasy XVI to rank this high, but everybody that I've heard talking about Octopath II loved it, so didn't seem like that much a surprise to me.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

With Hades II's early access and Balatro, feels like it's gonna be another Year of the Roguelike to me.

(also playing Astral Ascent, but that probably isn't gonna win any hit awards)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

FireWorksWell posted:

I won't even mind if Hades 2 EA doesn't show up in Q1 with all the other games coming out.

I have AA wishlisted, what do you think of it so far?

I really like it so far, but I definitely keep getting stonewalled by the end of Zone 2's bosses and I'm not sure if that's me being bad at videogames or not having unlocked enough metaprogression yet (somebody in the Roguelike thread made it all the way to the end of the first difficulty level on their 5th attempt). Definitely encourages you to run through zones as quickly as possible although there is a slight side benefit (earlier leveling of your overall character in time for Zone 2) if you stop and smell the roses/punch mobs just a bit more than the natural flow of the game otherwise encourages.

The bosses are pretty fun and mostly what you're here for with 3 on a rotation per zone. It's not quite Hades-level in its other aspects, but it does come decently close and I'm finding a lot happens in between each run so far, still.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

VideoGames posted:

01. BLOODBORNE (FromSoftware) (2015)

lol

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Thank you, VG. Couldn't have done it without you.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Maybe 2024 will be the year I get back into Runescape 3 as part of the Year of the MMO Comeback, coming to a GOTY list near you, soon.

(I was going to ask that I be probed alongside a picture of 17 points for AoEII, but this is honestly worth the sixer all on its own.)

Also:

Entenzahn posted:

I also did not get quoted, therefore, please quote this post

e: or else

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The data, it is good.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I got dragged back into Eco and am honestly kind of looking forward to being done with it so I can go back to more AoEII and Astral Ascent.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Microcline posted:

Jossar
Your closest match is Lonegar based on a shared interest in: Brotato, Vampire Survivors
Your top 5 recommendations are: Oldschool Runescape, Anbennar, Shadowverse, Higurashi When They Cry, Slay the Princess

Hmmm...

I'm a big Runescape fan, though RS3 rather than OSRS, and have been eagerly following Sybot's Anbennar LP.

But not sure what it says that the metric seems a little too excited to try and get me into horror games.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

No, but I'm finally done playing bad ones, so that means only good ones are left, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cEtn2T449Q