Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Hello, I'm an old goon who hasn't posted here in like 10 years. I can't remember my OG login info, but I always follow the GOTY threads. I played a bunch of games and am compelled to type words about a few of them this year.

5. Little Goody Two Shoes
Germanic fairytale crossed with 90s anime visuals, what's not to love? An immersive sim / adventure game with no combat but lots of mini-games and some fun horror elements. Add in a dash of doomed (or not?) romantic choices and you've got a solid little game that more people should play.

4. Octopath Traveler II
I wouldn't describe anything in this game as outstanding (except the music), but everything is very good. And all those very good things combine to make something amazing. Good stories and writing - elevated by the fun voice acting - and a combat system that encourages and rewards experimentation. And the music, all the music. I could listen to nothing but the OT2 OST for the rest of my life and be happy doing it. Firing up this game is like slipping into a warm bath.

3. Wo Long
I am bad at the Nioh games, but still enjoy them. If I had posted in last year's thread Stranger of Paradise would have been my #2 game. And now we have Wo Long that tweaks and adds some new twists to the Team Ninja formula. Bigger "battlefield" levels, a greater emphasis on parrying, and a Three Kingdoms setting. Lucky for me, I love all those things and so, of course, I love Wo Long. I'll be playing the DLC well into the new year so it will probably be on my 2024 list as well.

2. Diablo IV
Every bad thing everyone says about this game is true, and yet, I 've still had a blast with it and played it for 500 hours since it released. It feels like a mix of D2 and D3 with some bits of Destiny sprinkled on top. Anathema to some, video game nectar to me. It has the best campaign of the Diablo games, I dig the setting, and the demon clicking is as fun as ever. And you get a fun horse, that mostly works now! The seasonal gimmicks have also been fun so far. The only reason it's not my GOTY is because a super fun robot game came along and blew me away.

1. Armored Core VI
Every time I sit down to play this game I get genuinely excited. I've played through NG and NG+ and am currently about halfway through NG++, and I don't want to stop. I love everything about this game. It is maybe the most "video game" video game I have ever played in my four decades of video gaming.

I love zooming around as a robot in a hyper-capitalistic hellhole, fighting a faction one mission and then getting hired by them for the next. "It's just a job," after all. Sometimes I'm a quick robot with reverse-joint legs and light weapons, and sometimes I'm a literal tank with the heaviest guns and missiles available piled on my bulky frame. Either build is fun, as are the many in between those extremes. And much like other From games, any of them can work.

The fellow pilots you meet are all fully fleshed out without ever seeing them outside of their mechs, and the overall story has enough twists and revelations to keep you playing for multiple playthroughs to see it all. And once you're done with that, there's S Ranks and Combat Logs to chase. That's plenty to keep you boosting and blasting, but there's also a whole PvP mode that's its own wild beast of a thing. Every part of this game compels you to master it, and the process feels good every step of the way. That is why Armored Core VI is my Game of the Year for 2023.

Thanks for reading, now back to lurking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Oh no, I'm caught up! Cool to see me in the blurbs for Wo Long though. :hehe:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
OT2 in the top five. Acceptable :hai:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
DO IT
FOR
RUSTY

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Thank you VG
Thank you Rarity

I left SA before the GOTY was a thing, and now it's what drew me back and got me posting again. So thank you, goons, for posting about your favorite games of the year. My wishlist is now 14 games longer.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Going to give the Special Award to Game with Highest Average Score that was mentioned by more than one person to The Making of Karateka

I bought this game because of this thread. It rules. Will be on my 2024 list for sure.

It's currently on sale for $15 on PSN. Well worth it at that price (and the usual $20 too).

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Good games and whiny meltdowns. The GOTYT has it all!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I'm trying not to buy any more games until I get a PS5 (Pro????) this fall, but I had to pre-order GOTY 2024 Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth.

Other than that it's all backlog all the time...okay maaaaybe Unicorn Overlord, too.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Microline posted:

Paying2Lurk
Your closest match is buddychrist10 based on a shared interest in: Little Goody Two Shoes, Octopath Traveler II
Your top 5 recommendations are: Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon, Baldur's Gate 3, Legend of Heroes: Trails Into Reverie, Fire Emblem Engage, Pokemon Emerald Rogue

Hmmm, never played a Trails game but I trust the data. BG3 should be cheap by the time I have something that can play it, and the other 3...eh, we'll see.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The data is obviously flawed because it should recommend Octopath Traveler 2 to everyone.

There was just an awesome 90-minute speedrun of it at AGDQ where the runner beat the secret extra boss blindfolded. You can even watch it without spoiling anything because the run completely skips 99% of the story.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, I'm gonna go the "rank every drat game I play this year" route so I can feed the machine.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
:patriot:

We made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.