Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

VG posted:

In the past the expansion counts as seperate if you played it seperately.

So you can give phantom liberty a single entry, but if you played them together as one game then I will categorise it under the ultimate edition of cyberpunk. I will fret about these things so you do not have to :)

On this point, I did the same thing (replaying the entirety of Cyberpunk and doing the expansion). If I want to maximize the effect of my vote, would I be screwing Phantom Liberty by listing just Cyberpunk? Feels weird to have to split the vote.

Conversely, I did actually just play the HFW Burning Shores expansion without replaying the whole base game, so for that instance my understanding of the current rules makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Personally, because I replayed Cyberpunk and only played Phantom Liberty for the first time this year, I’m gonna list the expansion. If I had played both for the first time this year, I would list the main game. So list PL with me and let’s get dem points up

Yeah I think this is where I'm leaning as well

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Tosk posted:

It's interesting to see BG3 show up pretty consistently but lower than might be expected. It's only been a few people's #1 GOTY so far I think

Unfortunately all the people who have it at #1 ran out of movement, and have to wait for 10 other lists to be posted before they can post theirs.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Completed 45 games this year, and this was definitely the toughest time I've had deciding on a top ten in a while. So I decided to list my top 15

Honorable mention
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - I replayed this at the start of the year for the current-gen upgrade, and it remains my favorite game of all time. I chose not to include it in my rankings though because while the upgrade is fantastic, a game that I'm beating for the fourth time feels like something outside of a GOTY list for me. But it's still great, and I love it.

15. Assassins Creed Mirage – An extremely polished execution of the old-school Assassins Creed format, focused on stealth and striking from the shadows.

14. Control – This was a replay for me, after dipping into the other Remedy games this year I decided to revisit Control (and play the DLCs for the first time) and found it to be just as good as I remembered.

13. Kentucky Route Zero – What a strange little game, but I was captivated by it all the way through.

12. Hardspace Shipbreaker – This became one of my go-to “chill out and listen to music/podcasts” games this year, and it actually had an interesting story to boot!

11. Night in the Woods – This was a game I'd heard about for a while but never really considered. Picked it up on sale after some recommendations, and found it to be every bit the weird and emotionally-affecting piece of art that everyone said it was.

10. Hogwarts Legacy – This might be one of the best open worlds I've ever seen in a game. The traversal was great, the environments were beautiful and intricately designed, and it was just a joy to play (even for someone like me who has no history at all with the source material).

9. Final Fantasy XVI – The game looks incredible, the combat system is fun and engaging, and the set pieces are nearly unmatched for me this year.

8. Spiritfarer – Easily my biggest surprise of the year. Started it because it was free on PS+ and I needed a game to bridge the gap between some bigger releases. 50 hours later I was at the end of a beautiful and touching journey that had a lot of things to say about death and the ways in which we deal with it. The second I finished Spiritfarer I knew it had a place on my list.

7. Powerwash Simulator – Maybe the best chill-out game I've ever played. There's a fun little story to be followed if you feel so inclined, but mostly I just found it imminently satisfying to clean up every inch of those filthy, filthy maps.

6. Horizon Forbidden West: The Burning Shores – It's rare that I include pure expansions on my lists, but how could I resist when I got more of my #1 game from last year? This extra chapter in Aloy's story actually did a great job of expanding and paying off her emotional arc from the base game, and on top of that featured very cool environments and great action.

5. Citizen Sleeper – One of three games I bought purely on the strength of last year's GOTY thread, and easily the one that hit me the hardest. Once I got into the game's unique mechanics, I was able to really enjoy the story and its delicate balance of beauty and bleakness. An extremely well-told narrative that may have even brought a tear to my eye in the end.

4. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 – This was definitely one of my most anticipated games of the year, and it delivered on the hype. Everything I loved about the first game and Miles Morales was present here as well, with a few new wrinkles that made the experience even better. The only thing kept it from my top two spots is that it felt a little light in terms of content, but what was there was everything I expected.

3. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty – Truthfully, this ranking is also impacted by the massive overhaul the base game received as part of the DLC, which made a game I already loved even better. But even beyond that, the Phantom Liberty story and new location rank comfortably among the best elements that the game as a whole has to offer. Cyberpunk was never a game that I felt needed to make anything up to me, but with this expansion it provided a perfect end to this particular chapter, and made me very excited for what is to come.

2. Alan Wake 2 – Prior to this year, I was only vaguely aware of Alan Wake. I had played Control a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, and I heard people talk about how it was in the same universe as some weird old game about a mystery writer, but I never really looked into it. Then, earlier this year, the remastered version of Alan Wake showed up as a free PS+ game, so I figured I'd give it a try. The game was fine, and in fact just missed my top 20 for the year. But it stuck with me enough that when the sequel came out and was getting rave reviews, I took a chance and bought it. That chance was rewarded in a big way. Alan Wake 2 is a lovingly-crafted and ambitious game that is completely unafraid to take big swings. It builds upon the first game better than maybe any sequel I've ever played, and becomes its own strange, incredible piece of art in the process.

1. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor – I was a big fan of Fallen Order, but it was a game that was limited by technical issues and some iffy design choices. So when Survivor was announced I was cautiously optimistic, but not expecting a game that would top my year-end list. I am a true sucker for a well-done big open-world game, and this is exactly that. Like Horizon Forbidden West last year, Jedi Survivor tops my list because it gave me a nearly-ideal gaming experience. Once I finished it I said to myself “I think this is my GOTY,” and nothing I played the rest of the year made me reconsider.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

2. Hollywood Handbook

The funniest podcast that is impossible to recommend to people.

A fantastic podcast, perfectly described

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I bought Pentiment based on last year's thread, and thought it was okay but didn't love it. I'd try it again if it came to Playstation though, since I think my experience suffered from it being basically the only PC game I've played in years.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'm a giant scaredy-cat who hates horror and survival games, and I absolutely loved Alan Wake 2. There are jumpscares, and you get attacked by things in the dark while trying to manage your resources (really just ammo, you don't have to worry about food or water or anything), but if you're like me you can just turn the difficulty to story and focus on unraveling the mystery and exploring the cool world.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Already achieved a long term gaming goal this year by finally getting the platinum trophy for Red Dead Redemption 2.

Beyond that I don't have any concrete goals for this year besides maybe try to get to platinum #200, which probably isn't going to happen. I think 150 is definitely within reach though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'd be interested in trying both Sekiro and Elden Ring for the right price, but sadly Tokyo Mirage Sessions appears to be exclusive to platforms that I don't own