Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I've beaten 50 games in 2023 and played maybe a dozen that I didn't beat. The Deck was an amazing buy, being able to take my save off the computer onto a mobile device with sleep mode is a gamechanger.

10. Resident Evil 4 Remake - Great remake with solid gameplay, if you're nostalgic for the original you won't be let down.

9. Darktide - I'm a fan of Vermintide games, and they're managing to turn around a disappointing release in record time.

8. Mario Wonder - Giving it time after playing it has brought Mario Wonder down slightly from where I initially had it on my top-10 list, but only slightly. It's a great 2D platformer and a fun experience, there's a few things I'm not the biggest fan of, but they're minor when compared to what Nintendo pulled off here.

7. Curse of the Golden Idol w/ DLC - Solid story with solid DLC. This, Obra Dinn, and "Don't Feed the Monkeys" are really carving out this genre.

6. Remnant 2 - Went in blind with a friend and ground the poo poo out of it. We're fans of difficult gameplay, puzzles and secrets and Remnant 2 caters to all of that. I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone, but I found it great.

5. Talos 2

In many ways Talos 2 is a direct and amazing upgrade to Talos 1, which some people consider one of the best puzzle games of all time. I'm not that person, I hated Talos 1. After playing the demo for Talos 2 I started thinking about why I'd never managed to beat the original, went and did the thing, and realized the designers must have hated the same things I hated because they changed all of it. Gone are the puzzles with elements that make you wait (or die, restarting the puzzle). Progress constantly unlocks new and interesting mechanics which far outshine the tools from the first game. I personally found the story very compelling. The only step backwards is how shallow and repetitive the "secrets" are. In other years, this game would be on everyone's top-10.

4. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

Holy poo poo someone actually made a legit follow-up to Jet Set Radio. This game is great, and I think it's the perfect size for what it is. The music fits, the characters rock, there's secrets to be found and apparently people managed to get multiplayer modded in. The combat is the game's low-point, but as a fan of JSR I have very few complaints.

3. Hi-Fi Rush

Great and unique gameplay, filled to the brim with heart and character. There's an entirely separate quality soundtrack for streamers worth its own playthrough. I will be buying any sequel in a heartbeat.

2. ToTK

They made GMod, but with reasons to build. I always liked GMod type construction, approached ToTK as such, and had a great time. If you don't like that style construction I have to imagine you'd hate ToTK, and I do think the game suffered for featuring the mechanic so heavily. But as having always been a fan of that kind of gameplay, I'm not complaining.

1. BG3

Four straight months of playing this game with my wife to get through it. We've played tons of other RPGs, or games where imo "choices matter" more than in BG3 (Alpha Protocol certainly a fast example). Nothing's come close to the poo poo we were able to get up to in BG3. We were lucky enough to barely get any bugs in our run, so I don't have some of the annoyances I've heard about. Such a tremendous amount of work and content, so many unique and niche things to discover, and incredible acting. RPGs will be compared to this for years to come.

2023-specific games I liked that didn't make the list for various reasons:

Void Stranger, Payday 3, Diablo 4, Pizza Tower, Dave the Diver, Halls of Torment, Deadlink, Cocoon, Ghost Trick Remake, Blasphemous 2

I haven't gotten to (and probably won't before 2024): Alan Wake 2, Deadspace Remake, Pentiment, Armored Core

Edit: Rain Code? poo poo I'm a big fan of the Danganronpa games and completely missed that this came out, this year has been nuts.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU