Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I hardly played any games this year but here are the few that I did and enjoyed:

Most Thrilling Game ---- HUNT: SHOWDOWN

Whilst I'm not typically the competitive FPS shooter type any more, Hunt really does offer the sweetest feeling gunplay and extraction based mechanics out there. Killing someone in this game feels incredibly hard earned and legging it to an extraction point with your bounty is absolutely heart-pounding. Sweaty as hell but in the right way and absolutely best played with friends.

Most Pleasant Game ---- TRIANGLE STRATEGY

Just a really charming game all round. Loved it's cast, the story, the music and it's overall vibe. An incredibly nice, wholesome experience without overstaying its welcome. Sticks the landing plot-wise and leaves you satisfied upon its completion.

Game I Had To Uninstall Because I Was Playing It Too Much Instead Of Other Games ---- SLAY THE SPIRE

The definition of finely tuned. Because of its "just one more run" nature and the absolutely perfect length of time it takes, I ended up just playing this and virtually nothing else for months so I had to axe it. Have reached Act 20 with all characters so I'm going to chalk this down as complete for now.

Best Non-Serious Co-op Game ---- VOID CREW

This one is a blast with some friends. Essentially, it's FTL meets Deep Rock Galactic meets Sea Of Thieves. Highly recommended with 3 - 6 people.

Game Of The Year ---- DWARF FORTRESS STEAM EDITION

If you've ever wanted to know what it's like to build a highly complicated, multi-layered ant farm and then fill it up with alcoholic idiots, this game is for you. Horrendous learning curve but worth it. Never ceases to raise a smile with the unfiltered anarchy that occurs. Quite possibly the greatest value for money proposition in gaming.

Edit: For ranking purposes, let's go with:

5 - Void Crew
4 - Slay The Spire
3 - Triangle Strategy
2 - Hunt Showdown
1 - Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Kerrzhe posted:

there are lots of games that are much better than elden ring

theyhatedhimbecausehespokethetruth.jpg

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Paid 10 bucks to get Pentiment in the Steam sale after finally caving to the endless praise here and in other threads. Alright, alright, you lot... if it's a tenner, fine, let's see eh?

Have just completed Act 1. It's not even the end of the first week of January and I will be very surprised if this doesn't end up being my Game of the Year 2024.

Anyway, gotta go, gotta play some more Pentiment this weekend.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, that's actually pretty wild. It's like Fortnite for 40 year olds

Hey, come on now, I love Hunt Showdown and I'm only... oh no

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

*CHK CHK*

I'm actually going to have a thorough look at Book of Hours - a card game about being a librarian? Sign me up.