Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I've still yet to play many this year (Armoured Core 6, Baldaur's Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, Alan Wake 2, Lies of P, Jedi Survivor, RE4 Remake, Dead Space Remake, Blasphemous 2, The Case of the Golden Idol, Pizza Tower, Cocoon, Chants of Senaar, Teardown)....
.....but these are my top 5 from what I did get around to:

10. Hitman 3
What to say, it's more Hitman, if you liked the others you'll like this.

9. Quake 2 Remastered
This is how to do a remaster! Keeps the spirit, look and feeling of the original but updates everything for modern systems and adds lots of QoL features. Playing at 120fps is super-smooth too.

8. Midnight Suns
XCOM meets Slay the Spire, the mechanics of this game work really well and it's great to play. But there's a lot of stuff around it that's difficult to get through (several different currencies, way too much dialogue, friendship meters, etc.).

7. Hi-Fi Rush
Fun music-beat-em-up game that came out of nowhere, great art-style and music choices.

6. God of War Ragnarok
It's a AAA game that does AAA things really well, definitely the most polished on this list. Extremely impressive visuals, story, acting, sound, music and the one-take thing is neat.

5. The Talos Principle 2
Didn't care much for the story, but a great puzzle game and by far the best value of the year (launched at £25 when others are touching £70). Impressive use of UE5 tech too.

4. Cyberpunk 2077 & Phantom Liberty
What a turnaround this game has had, gone from being a complete mess at launch to becoming CDPR's best game. Update 2.0 was a sensible overhaul of the complex systems and Phantom Liberty was a great expansion - bring on the sequel.

3. Gran Turismo 7
There's a lot wrong with this game, which I'll get to in a moment, but even despite this it's probably the best racing game I've ever played - and I don't really like sim-racers.
It's the first GT game I've ever played and the first racing game I've exclusively played in cockpit mode (I never do that with racers, and I don't even have a VR headset). Every car really does handle differently and their commitment to rendering 1:1 interiors of real cars is ludicrous. The haptics & adaptive triggers on the DualSense really adds a lot to the feel of the game, it's also one of the few PS5 games that renders at a full 4k60fps, so it looks amazing too.

The problems are many: the in-game credits system is a real grind and some cars cost several million to buy (so several hours of grinding to buy just 1 car). It's online-only, so you need a connection even to play the single-player content (it's sold as a full-priced disc game). There's some weird QoL stuff missing like you're completely unable to customise the HUD for some reason. There's no rewind function so if you make a tiny mistake it could end your entire race. You start almost every race right at the back with a rolling start. The menu system is a bit convoluted. There are micro-transactions for buying credits (again it was sold as a full-price game). Certain cars only go on sale at certain times or in rotation. The free roulette tickets are awful and give really low payouts....
.....but it's really fun to drive!

2. Super Mario Wonder
Wonderful from start to finish, great fun to play and full of really inventive ideas built on traditional Mario platforming. My only complaint was that it's slightly on the easy side (apart from the final final secret level) and I wish there was more of it, aside from that it's about a near-faultless game as you can get.

1. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
I wouldn't have guessed at the start of this year that two Switch games would be number 1 & 2 on my list, but here we are.
TOTK really surprised me, they added a bunch of new building mechanics that work really well and add a lot of depth and fun to the established Zelda formula. Compelled me to keep playing even after beating the final boss, there's lots to experiment and have fun with here.
The Switch is really showing it's age however, the framerate and resolution really dips at times - I'm amazed they got this to work on this ancient hardware at all, but that gets forgotten very quickly as it's just so fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU