Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

gently caress yeah, let's GOTY.

Look at that beautiful OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

goddamn lookit those fine rear end gifs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Your list is so good, Morally. I used the soundtrack. :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you can list any game you played this year, but 5 is the minimum :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

we're only on page 2 and people are already curbstomping their own lists by not reading the rules. absolute degenerates

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Hmm kinda wish I played Forspoken this year

There's still time to add one more RPG from Japan to your 2023 roster.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Whenever BG3 decides to autosave that usually means you're about to get owned.

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lisztless posted:

4. Valkyrie Profile

1. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

Such a great list you wrote, but especially this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Valkyrie Profile 2 is such a gorgeous game, but I simply couldn't stand the battle system. OTOH it feels like new rpgs are still trying to discover the secret sauce that made VP1's battles so engaging, Octopath II comes immediately to mind...and it that case it's largely successful. Square-Enix ended up having to take a look backward to make any headway on new titles it seems.

So yeah, Valkyrie Profile is goated.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You're insane if you think I will continue to help you shove numbered lists directly down your cavernous pink gullet. I've seen what kind of monster you become when you've eaten all the lists!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

Reading through the thread now. We wouldn't have so many blasphemers making ascending lists if we were still under the Rarity Regime :colbert:

:hmmyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ET you've done a bang up job this year making me extremely hype about my eventual BG3 playthrough. Thank you!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

2. Valkyrie Profile – 1999, tri-Ace. Composer: Matoi Sakuraba ♫https://youtu.be/cnDDTg_xqhs?si=H3TLLIdV8owzOQVT
Time played: 40 hours
Completed: yes

There isn’t anything quite like Valkyrie Profile, at least not that I’ve come across. It combines a rich narrative with a peculiar cross section of game mechanics that include a tactical battle system, 2d platforming, and menu futzing with character skill points and item crafting. Fans of the Star Ocean games will recognise tri-Ace’s predilection for a deep yet somewhat clumsily organised skill and crafting system making an appearance here. The battle system is fast paced and feels great in the hands with beautifully animated spritework, coming complete with battle barks that are a pure distillation of the 90’s VA scene, while the appreciation of which is entirely subjective it lends itself to the game perfectly. The 2d platforming is not the best, but something that adds a quintessentially “gamey” gamefeel. Sakuraba’s soundtrack here is the peak of this era of his career and the driving synths and beats would feel just at home pumping out into the arcades as it is into your living room. What I’m trying to say is that Valkyrie Profile is unapologetically a video game. It is not meant to be a subversive deconstruction of what a video game is or can be. It is just a video game meant to be played and enjoyed. And yet…

It is absolutely oozing with vibes, and the way it chiefly communicates its vibe is through its narrative, though not through the text alone, but with its structure and presentation. Valkyrie Profile does not have a straightforward narrative. Yes, the plot is simple: you are Lenneth, a Valkyrie tasked with sending einherjar to Asgard to fight for the Æsir during Ragnarok. But that is not what Valkyrie Profile is about. For each einherjar you recruit to the cause you bear witness to the final moments of their mortal lives, emotionally charged scenes of regret, desire, longing, bitterness, and death. This sets the tone of the entire game. As Lenneth comes to witnesses these scenes time and time again her business-like detachment from the anguish of the recently deceased begins to falter and a meta-narrative begins to form. Valkyrie Profile is about searching for meaning in a world which has none. Rich with allusion and symbolism Valkyrie Profile is perhaps the most Literary video game I’ve ever played. It is a discussion of themes and concepts in a broad frame work that presents questions and challenges to the viewer. When trying to draw comparisons to Valkyrie Profile’s narrative what comes to mind are things like George Saunder’s Lincoln in the Bardo – in other words, literature, not other video games.

And yet again… This is a video game! Some players may not even come across some of the game’s most pivotal scenes, especially not on a first playthrough or without using a guide. The true and complete nature of Valkyrie Profile only reveals itself after spending a significant amount of time with it and steeping yourself in its systems and mechanics. This is a game that wants you to play it like a video game. It doesn’t care about making sure you witness all the content it has to offer, this isn’t a curated guided tour of set pieces and plot points. It’s not a video game attempting to use the medium to ape the experience of other art forms like some games’ attempts at emulating film or prestige TV. It’s not even attempting to emulate literature despite how literary it is, it just the closest approximation I have to describe what its doing. Valkyrie Profile is the most artfully constructed video game I have ever played. A true representation of video games as art that will forever rank as one of the greatest of all time.

1. Octopath Traveler II – 2023, Square Enix/Acquire. Composer: Yasunori Nishiki ♫https://youtu.be/cuVV-_-HKzM?si=EpcIX5NDZhCZk5bA
Time played: 120 hours
Completed: platinum

And here we are. Presenting the fridge corn Year of RPGs from Japan number 1 RPG from Japan: Octopath Traveler II. This is a game that has it all – a complete package. Everything this game had to offer was on point. The visuals, the gameplay, the narrative, the music (especially the music) was spot on. 10 out of 10s across the board. The thing that struck me the most while playing Octopath Traveler II (having never played the first one, mind) was how much it felt like playing a Final Fantasy game, and by that I mean the sheer level of care and quality that went into the game’s design. Final Fantasy 6 blew me away with its presentation in 1994. Octopath Traveler II did the same in 2023. Octopath Traveler II is obviously an homage to the 16-bit era games, which is what the whole design philosophy behind HD-2D is all about, of course. But it nails that homage so well that you could almost mistake it for the real thing. An alternate timeline where Square waited a bit before committing the series fully to 3D graphics. Final Fantasy 6.5 as it were.

Can you imagine what it would have been like playing Final Fantasy 6 with excellently directed voicework? Play Octopath Traveler II and you’ll get at least an idea. I love the voicework in this game. I started off playing it in Japanese but I switched to English early on just for a quick listen but I never switched back. The VAs do a tremendous job bringing these characters to life. Can you imagine Partitio without his infectious twang? Agnea without her unabashed drawl? Temenos without the sassiness of his dry wit? How about Castti without hearing her soothing and practised bedside manner slip into something a little more comfortable (THESE HANDS :black101: )? The combat barks are also second to none and quite intricate. Characters will compliment each other by name when someone lands a breaking blow. There are unique spell incantations for every character in every class. Such a little touch but adds so much to the characters and combat.

Speaking of combat, Octopath Traveler II boasts one of the punchiest turn-based battle systems I’ve had the chance to play. On PS5, the game makes good use of the DualSense haptics to give a real tactile feel to what is essentially just scrolling through menus – a subtle but welcome addition. Turn order manipulation is a thing here, as well as the weakness-based break system, giving combat a tactical bent. With a plethora of skills, spells, classes, and weapon loadouts, there is a lot of playing around that can be done, although the class system is perhaps not as in-depth at FF5’s is. All in all the combat is a lot of fun, and with the freeform manner of the scenario selection the difficulty can be pretty much adjusted to taste. The massive boss sprites are pure delight.

But what I really want to talk about and what really stood out to me almost immediately as I booted up the game; the thing that communicates the vibe of Octopath Traveler II most vibrantly: the soundtrack. Yasunori Nishiki’s chops are on full display here and his score for this game is a perfect showcase for why he just may be the biggest up and coming talent in the industry at the moment. Nishiki’s soundtrack borrows from a wide variety of styles and influences to give character to not only each of the main cast with their own leitmotifs but also each and every location that the party visit – bustling cities, snow-capped peaks, dusty backwaters are all bursting with aural character. Some of the influences are typical of video game sountracks – celtic, country, jazz, etc., others are a bit more on the nose such as Temenos’ continually modulating detective noir theme, or Osvald’s theme which I swear is more than just a wink and a nod to Ramin Djawadi. But while any distinctive style from Nishiki is hard to pin down, his mastery of composition, orchestration, and instrumentation is clearly and immediately evident. I mean who on this godforsaken earth couldn’t listen to this all goddamn day? I expect to hear a lot more great work from Yasunori Nishiki in the future. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he ends up scoring a mainline Final Fantasy title one day. Easily the best soundtrack all year and by default that makes Octopath Traveler II the best game I played all year.

God, what a showdown. It shall be engraved upon your soul! :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

The hardest thing was deciding where to place those two :sweatdrop:

I mean, you chose wrong and I forgive you...but that's two hella great games in an epic face off and I really think your wonderful write-ups did them justice. Congrats on the year-long project, goon, you are legend.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TimberJoe posted:

#1 – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

I hated Sekiro. Hated it. Stupid game. Unfair.

Skill issue.

But for some reason I persevered. Continued smashing my head against the combat system. And dear reader, the strangest thing happened: I got it.

Not only did I get it, but I got it to the extent that I no longer had to think about what I was doing but I could actually see the game as was in front of me. It’s good. It’s the rare sort of good that when you go back to something else, it feels like a step down.

First run? Probably 40 hours, can’t remember how long but it took forever. Second run? Sub 10. By the third and fourth runs I was one with the game. I felt like Jack Torrence and The Overlook Hotel, we were simpatico.

Just some good lads messaging each other about video games.

It’s not like other From Software titles, it’s not really like most other action games really. It’s not for everyone. But if you have made it this far into this post and you’re struggling with Sekiro, thinking you’re going to drop it, I promise you if you stick with it it’s worth it. It has given me a satisfaction like few, and I mean very few, games I can think of. It’s downright bizarre, one moment it feels like you’re trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle with your feet against the clock while a howler monkey yells at you and the next it is so zen it’s practically relaxing. The jump from “I will never beat Owl” to “Huh, I just no hit Owl” is the blink of an eye it seems. And when you get in that flow, oh my loving god. You’re a combination of Jonah Lomu, Didier Drogba and Randy Moss just running through motherfuckers. You’re Adrian Peterson and Barry Sanders. You’re 90s Michael Jordan. You’re 80s Mike Tyson. You’re King Kong with a 20 tonne nutsack. I could probably go through Genichiro now by sound alone, clang clang clang (delay) clang clang clang check and jump, mikiri or parry. Beating Owl (Father)? God it’s good. Shadows may die twice but Sekiro won’t do, what a loving game.

this owns

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:eyepop:

wowza

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sally posted:

this is a good'un. probably my fav of the whole series. it has a great arcadey shooter feel to it that the other games fail to eger replicate. the weapon wheel, the speed Hale moves around, the semiregenrating health, the weird weapons themselves... even the goofy one-off stuff like driving around the jeep and taking sick jumps... it all rules.

not perfect. game takes a bit to get going. the first four missions feel like one long prologue and ehile relatively short feel interminably long. once you are through though the game really opens up.

also for the first PS3 FPS I played i was absolutely blown away by the fact that you could shoot out pieces of a glass pane rather than have the whole thing instantly shatter. next level graphics lol.

you play a New Game+ campaign? it adds a bunch of new weapons for subsequent playthroughs. also coop is a blast if you can find someone for it.

dont get me wrong... R2 and R3 are good in their own ways but just different enough from R1that i was disappointed

this is also how I felt about R1, best in that series by a good margin and just fantastic co-op. still remember how awesome the spike-ball grenades were and how interesting the enemy variations could get when they teamed up. this is the only game that ever came close to being a :airquote:Halo-Killer:airquote: imo, but it never really got much recognition in that sense

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

only a few days left :kingsley:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm freakin out here

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That's way too much Nintendo music. The 90s edgelord in me is getting upset!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Well veeg did play mostly Nintendo games this year.

I know, a horrible state of affairs. :hmmno:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Veeg's Year of the PS3 FPS.

Wherein he plays nothing but games like HAZE and Timeshift.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

been feeling very anxious, soon feeling very empty

:mad:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

susan b buffering posted:

8. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
This was the first or second game I beat this year, and I had a blast the whole way through. The asteroid mission in particular is one that will stick with me, much like Titanfall 2's time travel mission. I do feel it could have used another mission or two, but that's a minor sin all things considered.

Yup.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

All that time is just failing to do a jump in one room in Xenogears, lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah i need to pee out this post

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

welp

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

2023andMe

Don't really know how to start this off, I guess it's worth reiterating that this year really did have something for everyone: heaps of groundbreaking indies, AAA smashes and flops, AA surprises, underdog victories, great DLC, multiple smash hit fighting games, hype shadowdrops, successful live service launches as well as many live service open graves. There were more good games released than any one person can discover and play in 365 days, and more people fired in one year than just about at any time in the industry's history. The great delayed COVID development tsunami finally smashed over us all and we get to pick through the debris throughout the entirety of 2024.

In past years I've managed to play a big chunk of notable games from the year whereas in 2023 I had to be more selective due to time, mental state, exhaustion, etc. So it's fair to say that there are at least half a dozen notable games from this year that I will probably be getting to late and listing in 2024 instead. I've also just been trying to go a bit outside my own box and not rate things as high based on pure thrill, bombast, or prestige chops, but moreso on whether a game made me feel good inside, or was cathartic in some way, because otherwise I've been feeling pretty sad, spent, and a bit over the hill. So here are games which helped me defy that dark aura in 2023 and helped me deal with the swirl of emotions, or just kill a little time between work days.

Thanks in advance if you gonna read this tl;dr poo poo, thanks to VG for all the effort that goes into hosting, and thanks to the community for always being cool as gently caress.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

MISC

-

:d: You've Been Here Before...

I revisited numerous ongoing titles in 2023 to fill in the blanks or simply to reaffirm my affection. Obviously a big one is TLOU Factions, which I logged upwards of 100 hours in this year playing with goons weekly, and will continue to do on a limited basis going forward even though the dream of Factions II is officially done and dusted. I also helped a friend through some master rank quests in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, a game that has ranked on my GOTY list 3 of the last 5 years, and put in some time starting a new run of Elden Ring before summer. However, the actual winner of this unranked category is:

Titanfall 2

Hours played = 826 / 46 in 2023

Some Respawn engineer accidentally removed the chewing gum from a network port on a server stack and all of a sudden we're matchmaking again! Playing this in 2023 is a good reminder of how much we took for granted in 2016. They simply don't make multiplayer games like this anymore. Welcome back, pilot.

:d: The Love Affair That Wasn't

Gonna leave the category blank this year because there were very few games that I bounced off of or had real negative feelings about, and almost everything I took the energy to play I also ended up completing. There were a few freebies I downloaded that I knew I wasn't into in under 15 minutes flat, but that's kind of a different thing.

:d: ...But For The Lack Of Time; There's Always Next Year!

Star Ocean The Second Story R

Hours played = 1

I hyped myself up to go out and grab a disc on release, installed it, and subsequently ignored the game due to the end of year rush. What I played so far is gorgeous, charming, snappy, everything a good remake should be. I think this will be a perfect game for next May.

:d: 2023's Fall From Grace

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1

Hours played = 14

The Master Collection picks up the mark of shame this year. I played MGS1 off of this collection and while it reaffirmed how loving goated those first 3 games are it is utterly shameful to release such classics in this poor of a condition. If you are resolute on getting this particular package it appears that the PS5 version has the fewest number of issues, but honestly let this post be another sad reminder to never give Konami any loving money.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

PLAYED, LIKED, AND CONSIDERED

The following games aren't necessarily in a hard order, but I suppose if pressed I would say that the farther down you scroll the closer a game probably came to making the top 10 list.

-

:d: ## OlliOlli World

Hours played = 12

Fun skating game that's hard as nails. Very cool in-house art style and humor. This was a title that I just did the bare minimum in to see all the levels and never got good at. I skate-or-died, but mostly died.

:d: ## Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

Hours played = 10+

Spiritual successor to Jet Set Radio that I was extremely hyped for. It has a similar energy and style, along with some great mechanics and a phenomenal soundtrack. It also has some real design flaws that continue to nag at me. I'm glad I got it and I intend to finish it up early next year but there's a part of me that now just wants to play actual Jet Set Radio. Luckily, Sega seems to have taken the bait.

:d: ## Resident Evil 4 (2023)

Hours played = 25

Similar to my time with the original Resi 4 this was just a one-and-done for me. I had a good time but I enjoy the remakes of 2 & 3 quite a bit more. I will admit that Survival Horror is not a genre which grabs me all that much, but Resi 4 was also sort of a weird outlier of a game for me, one that I respect for its innovations but am still not really into. Still, no real overt negative feelings here. My dumbo outsider's take: both versions of this game have different merits.

:d: ## Blasphemous II

Hours played = 32

The best series of castleroids outside of Castlevania itself, SOTN being on the shortlist for my favorite game of all time. This sequel delivers more of what you'd expect if you've played the first, gorgeous pixel art, beautiful music in a style all its own, and tough, gore-fueled gameplay amid fantastic/weird scenery and relentless body horror. The innovations to gameplay from the first are a mixed bag imo, some better and some worse. The bosses are a bit of a downgrade while the level design has gotten a bit better. No big complaints here. If they make a third one I'll buy that poo poo, too.

:d: ## Live A Live

Hours played = 30

A remarkable, experimental 90s RPG brought back to life. Insane amount of character and charm, totally iconic soundtrack, and an open ended structure that pays homage to many other games and genres. In the end it's a bit disjointed, sort of an anthology of mini-rpgs that doesn't fully come together. But man is it ambitious. Kudos to Square for bringing this one back out of obscurity.

:d: ## Dead Space (2023)

Hours played = 19

A better breed of Survival Horror. I definitely enjoyed my time with this game even though it's also kind of another one-and-done. The setting is fantastic, full of dread and cruel industrial novelty, and the sound design is some of the best I've heard in the last few years. I've seen enough of the original game to know that they did some pretty major overhauls to the structure of the world in order to ensure it all connects in a way that makes sense, and Motive deserve a lot of credit for staying faithful to the original vision that everyone remembers while also making it look (and feel) impossibly good. You know what, maybe I'll even come back to this one in a few years.

:d: ## The Finals

Hours played = 24 (open beta) / 12 (release)

Anyone who knows me also knows how much I gush over the Mirror's Edge games whenever I'm given the opportunity. Well, a bunch of former Mirror's Edge/Battlefield devs made a Mirror's Edge rear end looking F2P live service shooter (those cursed words) with Battlefield rear end environmental destruction, and they finally put it out just a few weeks ago. I've logged several dozen hours in it over the beta period and into the full release and yeah, the server side technology underneath it all is extremely loving cool and the art style is very Swedish. I think it's a bit barebones on content at the moment but from what I can tell the game is already a hit with broader audiences, and you know what...good for Embark. Hell of a debut title.

:d: ## Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores

Hours played = 70 (in 2022) / 70 (in 2023)

One of my top 10 from last year, I literally doubled my playtime in 2023 going for plat and topping it all off with the Burning Shores DLC. Unbelievable looking environments return for more ooohs and aaahs via The Power of the Clouds™, and Aloy's new ladyfriend is a darling. Guerilla continues to demonstrate their fundamental understanding of both amazing graphical technology and the capitalist bastard class who kills the world. RIP Lance Reddick, you will be missed.

:d: ## Jusant

Hours played = 12

Gorgeous, wordless, meditative AA indie game about climbing a spire for...some reason, I won't spoil it. More climate fiction ahoy! There are notes of Ico, Journey, The Last Guardian, etc in here, as well as some really cool and methodical physics-based exploration. There are two ways to play, read all the notes on the way up for historical context, or ignore them all and try to piece things together through environmental storytelling. Another indie win for DONTNOD and a beautiful test case for what AA games can look like in Unreal 5.

:d: ## Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Hours played = 48

Gaming step-child of 2022, you know it, you love it. SoP is everything they say, a throwback to AA gen 7 game development, a dope hardcore Japanese action RPG where you can build your own movesets, a meta-celebration of the humble origins of the FF universe, and perhaps in the running for funniest game ever released. Jack Garland henceforth will be appreciated as one of Nomura's best designs, an outright iconic character within the Square Enix canon. Accidentally on purpose.

THE LIST

-

:d: 10 - Forspoken

Hours played = 43 / ♫ Frey's Theme

Gaming step-child of 2023, they did Frey dirty, ya hear? This game is fun and unique, it's huge and beautiful to look at, it's weirdly cathartic, and it's chock full of cats. Luminous Productions was put into the grave for this one; ultimately it deserves better and they deserve their reputation back. Frey is a fun fish-out-of-water type (just like Jack Garland) who swears profusely and can't seem to come to terms with her maternal heritage. The story deserves credit for exploring some less common themes (in gaming at least), and there's more than enough climate fiction in here along with the badass magic and traversal systems to keep players interested for the duration of its Japanese RPGness. I've said more than a few words in other threads about how much of a culture clash this game is, sort of a fantasy-tinged exploration of how Japan views black culture in America. But in the end it comes down to the speed and fluidity of the gameplay itself, the cool boss fights, and just having plain old good gamefeel. See those mountains? You can vault them. Another experimental, under-appreciated cult release from Square Enix, currently the most diverse publisher in the industry.

Favorite Moment: Coming home to a house full of cats and they're all sitting in a circle seemingly plotting to murder you

:d: 09 - Karmazoo

Hours played = 30+ / ♫ Ruins Dark

The best 2023 game you've never heard of, Karmazoo is a cross-play, 10-random player, asymmetrical puzzle platformer by French micro-dev Pasta, creators of the fantastic 2014 ps+ freebie Pix the Cat. The centerpiece of this game is the endlessly replayable Loop mode which consists of 4 themed-yet-unique puzzle platform stages, Desert > Oasis > Temple > Machine, with modifiers in between stages voted on by the party. Each level is procedurally generated on the fly based on which characters are in the party. So if one person is a Seal you know there will eventually be blocks to ground-pound, and if another person is a Lantern you know there will be hidden hallways in a level. You cannot communicate with anyone except via emotes, funny character poses, or shouts, or by straight up helping them do poo poo, which is good karma, bro. You can only survive this thing as a team, either because it's a dark and scary world, the only way to progress through a point in the level requires one specific character's ability (there are over 50 different characters each with their own personality), or because the nature of a puzzle demands challenging, ad-hoc, group problem solving.

There's a certain controlled chaos to this game that can get almost frantic at times, but the experience has such good vibes, such funny sprite animation and sound design, and such an immaculate difficulty curve, that you will continually come back to Loop with new characters you've unlocked in order to see what kind of puzzle dynamic the game will throw at you next. And to make friends by shouting at them as an Umbrella. Furthermore, you'll come back to see what the community has unlocked collectively, since the collective loop stats are tied to a Noby Noby Boy style global secret content system that nobody currently knows the true extent of. A chill, relaxing, humorous, and friendly game that will prove to you once and for all that humans can be good, fun, helpful creatures. Even if they look and sound weird, or have unpronounceable names. Genius game design for tenbux.

Favorite moment: Whale Pile!

:d: 08 - Octopath Traveler II

Hours played = 70+ / ♫ The Leaflands (Day)

Probably one of the most flattering homages to the 90s Japanese RPG style yet made, Octopath 2 is dense with myriad bespoke 2D details, animations and easter eggs, and also quite meaty as a turn based battler. Aesthetically, it's Square's most sophisticated application of the HD2D style, if maybe not their most experimental. It has a stunning...I don't even know what to call it...Pixel Chiaroscuro? sense of art direction, where day or night scenes can look extremely dynamic via moving clouds, trapdoored godrays, shining water with bokeh effects and depth of focus, incidental scenery animals, water features, etc etc etc. The localization is quite good all around, with on-the-fly battle chatter that is repetitive enough to sound iconic in that 90s sort of way, and music that while on short loops is also diverse, prolific, dynamic, and some of the very highest quality you can imagine from Square's excellent catalog of composers. Battle is complex and customizable enough to break open with a little effort, but maybe a bit frequent? Story boss encounters are excellent with spritework that is multifaceted and larger than life. A retro-inspired feast for the senses.

I don't know what else to even say. I suppose I feel a little distant to it emotionally due to the game's open-ended structure which can be a bit much, each little story segment playing out in a kind of vacuum, and for the fact that as excellent an homage as it is...it's still trying to recreate a time in our heads that can't fully be recreated as novel. My brain is a bit too cynical sometimes to allow my defenses to go down on that level unless I'm being appealed to by blatant nostalgia, which is why competent remakes or remasters can still hit so hard at times. But there is no denying that this is Square delivering retro chic, turn-based, fantasy pixel opera of the highest quality...and there's a reason everyone is enamored with it. Contemporary Square Enix truly is a marvel.

Favorite moment: That feel at the start of any story boss when a character's custom theme merges into the boss theme, it's :black101: every. loving. time.

:d: 07 - HUMANITY

Hours played = 32 / ♫ Thrive

HUMANITY feels like a PSX game from Japan Studio circa 1997. I say that as a compliment, and as encouragement for Sony to keep this kind of thing coming. Intelligent Qube via Devil Dice via Lemmings, it's a brilliantly realized, perfectly distilled, trance inducing puzzle experience that knows exactly what it's doing and exactly how to train the player to get what they want. For me, it excelled at creating an extremely weird, otherworldly vibe, and setting me loose to play with new systems all while rewarding me for thinking creatively. By the end of its 90 levels I felt like a loving genius. The narrative is fresh and existential, and the physics systems which govern the movement of millions of bodies running, jumping, swimming, fighting, and flowing like rivers toward a light in the sky never fails to consistently impress with its scale and sense of perfect information. Does dog have what it takes to help human not be dumb gently caress? How much gun does it take to kill god? Is there bark at the end of the universe? Play one of the best action puzzle games in decades to answer these important questions.

Favorite moment: Getting all goldy with zero hints. I am the smartest man alive.

:d: 06 - Atomic Heart

Hours played = 42 / ♫ Eleanora

'Soviet Bioshock', as it's been described. This game is less of a Bioshock clone and more of a weighty, first-person bullet hell. Soviet political themes are almost entirely present as aesthetic set-dressing...suggesting the game's true alternate history foothold has more to do with the cornucopia of free-market grift that accompanied the collapse/overthrow of Soviet life, and the fire-sale of every public good out from under its citizenry that followed. So it's a story about the cannibalistic tendency of globalism then, well who knows, maybe that and shooting blobby looking Russian mannequin machinery with a Kalashnikov while listening to premium Mick Gordon electronic sludge or Glasnost era Soviet hits, many of which kick fuckin rear end, babe. In the test chamber facilities the gameplay often takes on Portal style vibes as you solve ambient music industrial room puzzles using a variety of elemental-machine interfaces, but there's still room for prestige tours, larger than life bosses, and hemmed in arena style brickbat scrapes vs angry mobs, all punctuated with the single most satisfying looting mechanic to ever grace a videogame. Some of the best artistic design of the decade and certainly one of the best soundtracks of the year on the one hand, terrible localization and map navigation on the other.

I dunno, I guess the gunplay was so satisfying and cerebral for me that I kind of stopped worrying about flaws in pacing/narrative or whether I might be missing a plot detail here and there. When you're popping a heal-pod, jumping, air dashing, and reloading simultaneously there isn't much time to get analytical about the rather chauvinistic attitude or script malapropisms. I think I'd given up on this game ever releasing some years back and then suddenly it was here and it was exactly what I wanted, a beefy, exotic retro sci-fi shooter that I sunk 40+ hours into. I played it gradually, on hard, in Russian, ...and every big encounter was a complete war of attrition down to the last bullet in every gun. Just glorious. When all of the DLC is available I'll give it another go.

Favorite moment: The first boss, Hedgie, puts the entire gunplay loop into perspective in a few short minutes, an wickedly fun and bold skill check for the rest of the game.

:d: 05 - Hunt: Showdown

Hours played = 123 / ♫ Drowning Water

One thing I can say definitively from having dropped 120+ hours into Hunt in the 2 months since I picked it up, this game hard as hell. Take Deadwood, staple it to the flesh of Bloodborne, season with gilded age cajun voodoo spice rub, and ducttape a rusty single action revolver into its hand. That's Hunt. Nothing is easy, everything is dirty and ragged. Every environmental sound can get you killed, every movement is deliberate, every single bullet is manually reloaded. The technology behind Crytek's custom rain sound effects feels flat out revolutionary for an interactive game. The amount of intricacy involved in team play requires several tens of hours to wrap your brain around in order to not get your friend's cover blown by startling a flock of birds accidentally. And when you gun some filthy thieving motherfucker down face first into the muck you better be stealing everything he has before lighting his corpse on fire. Having facility with anything in Hunt makes you feel electric. Surviving a prolonged gun battle makes you breathe heavily. The huge number of historically accurate weapons in this game means that each one has its own quirks, its own unique behavior that might suit it to a person's individual playstyle. It's one of the deepest, most inscrutable multiplayer games I've played that still has energy left over for things like fantastic art direction, music, and bespoke level design. I honestly can't wait to see what the CryEngine 5 upgrade brings to the game's atmosphere early next year. Maybe by then I'll be able to hit someone with my bullets.

Favorite moment: Being lit on fire and then accidentally brushing up against your friends and lighting them on fire, too :kingsley:

:d: 04 - Final Fantasy XVI

Hours played = 96 / ♫ Indomitable

Rad as hell to be playing a new mainline Final Fantasy in 2023 (more than half a lifetime since I first discovered the series in the 90s) that isn't falling apart at the seams and actually has a cohesive story and cool battle system. FF has seldom been the deepest RPG series on the market, or the most consistent, but its identity as a bellwether for experimentation and aesthetic prestige command a lot of respect from me. Truth be told, there's some tedium here, but it actually works for me. It fits somehow, it's consistent with the game's message of labor through the gauntlet of climate change probably involving a lot of interpersonal work and acceptance of trauma...and the stoicism of this game's characters hit me really hard in the feels right when I needed it this summer. It was therapeutic to have a game say 'this is gonna suck, there's no way around it without sacrifice, let's help each other through." Not to mention that some of the mundanity on offer, whatever the dev's ultimate structural reason for it, ends up selling the contrast between normal living as we know it and huge...god tier, life changing chaos events. Like climate disasters. Like Eikon battles.

It works in the theme and it works in the gameplay, even if they have eschewed numerous systems as an experiment in attracting new audiences (something tells me that stuff will all be back by popular demand). The boss battles feel like the biggest things of all time, they completely command your attention for huge chunks of time and they forever change the landscape of the game's story when through. They are some of the most stunning videogame spectacle moments in recent memory, earning every orchestral crescendo and melodramatic flourish, transforming the build-up of narrative melodrama into propulsive action mechanics and regular old oh poo poo moments. Clive and Company are all a serious, well-written, well-performed lot that give some of the other ensembles from the series a run for their money...even if we can't really control the party this time. In the end I just feel like this game said what needed to be said. It's a serious story that is concerned with mourning and then moving on. The only way out is through. Not all FF games have to be about that, but this one is and that's okay. So that's why it's pretty high on this list despite whatever issues. It continues the series tradition of taking risks and I respect it for that. I think I'll save a replay for when all the DLCs are out.

Favorite moment: It's either '999999' or what's pictured in the gif above lol, both moments were some hype poo poo

:d: 03 - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Hours played = 15+ / ♫ Fair Winds

Pure spectacle. The first, last, and only time CoD will make it into one of my lists. At the time this released I judged it as I judge all CoD titles, and CoD4 was my last specific memory of the series. This is a weird title, you can tell that the main audience was on to something when they panned it, it just doesn't have the same vibe they're used to. There are actual characters who don't come off as complete maniacs. Series staple dipshits like Price and Soap are nowhere to be seen, and there is a sweeping, cohesive plot that only occasionally feels confident in its own propaganda, while at other times it openly mocks the oorah Space Americans attitude. Sure, it's essentially revenge for Space 9/11 against Space Russians who have the audacity to want to control their own colonial resources, but man, the spirit just ain't in it here for blatant manipulative 'boots on the ground' milsim stuff we've come to expect. On the other hand, you pretty much get to play here as the antagonists from Titanfall 2, well-funded intergalactic imperialists...only this time operating on the back foot. It makes for a good double feature with TF2, two sides of the same sci-fi drama coin. And really, at the time that both games were released Infinity Ward and Respawn were locked in a dead heat to deliver the most badass space warfare setpieces, respectful competition between old studio mates.

In my mind Titanfall 2 is all around the best FPS ever made but, while I didn't play any multi in Infinite Warfare, the extended cinematic campaign on offer here is probably one of the most epic singleplayer modes ever made for a shooter. This came at a time when Sony was courting Activision pretty hard, and there were some big dollars sunk into promotion, PSVR content, and exclusive bits for this title...a title everyone making it clearly expected would sell gangbusters, but in the end was kind of shunned and can now be had for under a tenner. There are still stacks of shrinkwrapped copies of this at my local supermarket. Presentation-wise, the scenarios that seamlessly transition you from planetside to orbit to battlecruiser bridge, then back to ship on ship piracy or covert ops or jet battles, it's hard to convey just how big and shiny and confident this whole product is, and the technical tricks that went into making it all work on a PS4 are some serious black magic (it's actually one of the few games that isn't officially supported on the PS5 back-compat, so it isn't sold digitally on the store, but the disc copy worked fine for me. Or maybe that's just another ploy to move more unsold discs lol). Anyways, if you want to play a cinematic singleplayer hard sci-fi shootmans that has few peers even like 8 years later, then look no further. A game I will probably replay several times just for the big screen wow factor.

Favorite moment: Going to the low grav base on Mercury and dodging solar under flares in zero G across molten rivers. Absolutely wild scenery.

:d: 02 - Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Hours played = 80 / ♫ Hearing Things

It had already been a pretty nostalgic year for me by the time August rolled around, but ACVI sure managed to slam that feeling home. Armored Core was one of the first 10 or so PSX games I ever owned, my first FROM title, and one of the games that all of my friends seemingly had to have their own copy of. I don't even know how it caught on, I think I had a demo disc that we all played for a while, and then it hit the store shelves and was this strange combination of forward-thinking, mechanically baffling, unapproachable, and deadly serious. Split-screen competition got pretty involved for us all at one point, and I remember the moment one of us discovered Human+ features and started using them in vs matches. Then all of a sudden everyone was in a race to the bottom. Anyways, I followed the series for another few installments and then kind of drifted away to AAA pastures and online multiplayer experiences of the mid 00s.

Well, I guess by this point we've mostly acknowledged how FROM has pulled off another one of the all time skillful retro resurrections in gaming. It's the best pure mecha game ever, folks, and for a genre that's often been known to cut corners on polish in order to cater to its rather niche audience's desire for depth there is a sick sort of pleasure to be had from just how expensive and optimized this particular robo title feels, or how great an idea it was to put the Sekiro studio talent in charge of making it all happen. So many beats are perfect, the art direction, the endless gun porn of unnecessarily complex reload animations, the weight and scale and speed of your monster, the anger of metal foot on metal face, the bleak cynicism of the world around you, and the flexibility of the featureset at your disposal to tinker with. I must've had 2 dozen distinct builds in a pool to draw from by the end of New Game, a library of offensive options available any time I felt cornered by a challenge. Also, and it should be emphasized, this particular game has some of the finest boss battles in the entire FROMSOFT canon. FROM gets it, they know how to thread that needle. Another year goes by and they're once again the best in the action game biz, one which they've consistently been working to redefine for years, from Souls, through Bloodborne, Sekiro to Elden Ring, and beyond. Burn it all, betray everyone, sell your soul and rebuild its twisted essence up again from scrap metal.

Favorite moment: "I won't miss."

:d: 01 - TReN

Hours played = 20+ / ♫ Stoplight / Trenhop / Early Hours

Around 18 months ago my mom asked me to rebuild the family albums, accounting for the consolidation of numerous photographs once thought to be lost or scattered to the four winds, and just in general as an effort to keep everything in good shape and undamaged for another generation. Rest assured, the relation of this series of impending personal anecdotes to the gaming topic at hand will eventually become clear. The big thing to note right out of the gate is that I tried to get out of doing this chore for a good while, like 6 months at the very least. My mom is getting up there, and personally speaking I'm already half dead, so the significance of this request was not exactly lost on me and I think I was a bit hesitant overall for that reason. That is to say she was... in that moment, with that calm and lovely voice of hers, at once bequeathing a large chunk of our family history to me for safekeeping, but also asking me to do a metric poo poo ton of tedious work.

If you've never rebuilt an album before (or in this case a series of albums) then let me assure you it is an unenviable task, one that must be taken seriously, with a sense of irrational organization that respects the emotional intricacy of past events while also accounting for a potential future viewer's lack of context for them. There is an aesthetic flow that must accompany the historical flow. Archival photo albums are, after all, the kind of thing your great grandmother would run headlong into a burning building in order to save, they should be treated with that same sense of gravity and respect. So building them is a messy task in the sense that you sit in a room with heaps of photos stacked everywhere according to various criteria trying to adjust and straighten and adhere things carefully, craning your neck under lamplight in order to see details with strained eyesight. It's also messy in a mental sense, because you have the bittersweet opportunity (ie, obligation) to relive all of this poo poo you'd sometimes rather not remember...for several hours per day, for weeks on end, ...and in the preamble of buying all the necessary poo poo you need (where does one even buy albums anymore?) to complete the organizational task...sometimes for months at a time. These dead people are all living in your head, they are all telling you to respect the only remaining part of them left to this world, the context of their memory.

A running theme through all this memorial ephemera will undoubtedly be gatherings, or shifting seasonal events, holidays, new children, new marriages. There are other things in there, too. Graduations. Family trips. Memorials. Animals. Those old stoic black and white portraits where people had to stand very still for a long exposure. The 5th birthday when they gave me Lego sets I was too dumb to build on my own. My older sister always built the sets using the printed insturctions, partially because I asked her to and partially because she secretly liked doing it. It went on like this for years. There she is with her headband, her dark eyes, the tired and partially resentful holiday morning expression. There are gifts around a tree, and a train is set up in the vicinity as well. Each year new pieces are added to the train until it becomes its own multifaceted kind of annual engagement, a ritual that goes back into a large cardboard box for the other 11 months of the year. The memories of these childhood events are staged like perfect museum-grade dioramas before the camera's lens, they are material culture demonstrations which are also by nature inherently photogenic, mechanically reproduced. These kinds of things lock in your mind as ritual, they motivate a lifelong relationship with nostalgia...the aspirational recreation of the ideal, of what never was, of perhaps how we think things ought to be. There is mom drinking tea in the background wearing thick wool socks. She had long hair then, held up with chopsticks.

After the parents divorce I have two houses. One of the houses has the train in the attic. Dad likes to build it up different each year and then sketch out the arrangement of parts for whatever layouts in meticulous detail with little written notes, in case I want to build this same shape next year. He has dozens of these. He keeps them in his half of the family album, now divided. Physical keepsakes of organizational flow states. He leaves the train up for a bit past New Year's Day on average. He's attached to the whole idea. I only have a limited amount of specific/crucial wooden pieces available, that is, the setup can only get so large before it's got a bunch of abrupt dead-ends to account for. Male/female, double male, double female. Trestle. Cross. Curve. Long. Mountain. Siding. Nomenclature. Westward expansion. Empire simplified for elementary level engagement. Train track taxonomy. In order for a layout to be 'good enough' it has to be accessible for the freight trucks visiting the container station and also reversible so that trains can double back in different directions without running into each other. Paramount within this equation are the usage of switches, forks, and crosses. Most of the trains have magnets and can mix and match cars, but one of the older trains has delicate wooden wheels and the cars connect with an intricate system of metal hooks. Most of the wooden track pieces are uniform, but there are a few on offer from very old sets. Older than I've been alive. Do you get the picture?

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll take the double female and 3-way

Around the time I finished fully arranging three new family albums this summer I was also playing TReN. This is a game I had not been anticipating whatsoever. I just saw a trailer one day and downloaded it. The game is a digital facsimile of collective human nostalgia, rendered lovingly in Media Molecule's proprietary game-building engine, Dreams. TReN is actually the swansong of the studio's Dreams development project, tools essentially open to the public. It's a walled-garden videogame thinktank that the developers have also been using to release their own projects for some time now. Make no mistake though, TReN is MM's latest full-size release but it also represents sort of a farewell to the Healey-led incarnation of the studio. The project came about because John Beech, MM dev and former construction worker, created a wooden train simulator in Dreams while anticipating the birth of his daughter, a sort of game jam personal project. The rooms it depicts are rooms in the new house he was moving to, the artwork is that of various MM devs. The pictures, people come and gone. Through some turn of events in 2023 he has now become the studio's creative director. TReN ultimately formed within the studio as an attempt to make a supposedly 'AAA' experience using the Dreams toolset. But it's more than that. It's an exploration of the personal histories of the members of the studio. It's a game about the passage of time and about how play inherently shapes character. It's a game about the crystallization of nostalgia. In fact, it is the single most nostalgic game. It's a game about how we think things ought to be. It's joyful, wistful, contemplative, melancholy.

Similar to HUMANITY, TReN is also a return to the kind of small, focused game idea that proliferated across the PSX dev ecosystem in the late 90s, when things weren't so inclined toward the cinematic budget in the hundreds of millions. Despite the photorealism of its environs and the complex physics often at play, you're still on the track, the controls have a deceptive forward/backward simplicity and momentum to them. The goal is to get good times or just have a good time, and for my money TReN made me feel the most complex brew of emotions of any piece of media this year. It is as close to perfect as a game has been for me in a long time. It reaches down inside me and rips out feelings I had successfully buried. It made me dig out my wooden train after 15 years sitting in the attic and build a custom train memory diorama dedicated to this post, an idealized picture, a museum-grade memory in space. TReN is a VHS-filtered love letter to play, and flow, and fun, and our connection to others. It's a photo album of memories rendered as a physics puzzle. It's an arrangement of keepsakes as a time trial. It's 95 levels of painstakingly arranged feelings, with a turbo button.

Favorite moment: Finding the PSX, The Future of Play

trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tBbyRm_jyk

EZ List

01 - TReN
02 - Armored Core: Fires of Rubicon
03 - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
04 - Final Fantasy XVI
05 - Hunt: Showdown
06 - Atomic Heart
07 - HUMANITY
08 - Octopath Traveler II
09 - Karmazoo
10 - Forspoken

glhf see you in '24

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 29, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

8. Hunt Showdown. It is the third year this game has been on my top 10. Since I dared to try it three years ago I still haven't touched a single other competitive game, because after 2000 matches and counting, I've still never had the same fight twice. Some days Hunt is thrilling and incredibly satisfying, some days Hunt is pure psychological torment and misery, but no matter what, Hunt is never boring. The possibility space in Hunt is so big that the game is very resilient to being "solved" and reduced to a repetitive meta. There is no playbook to follow and no single right way to play, which makes it so refreshing to play with teammates who think of different things than you and clutch matches in ways you wouldn't have tried. Every fight is a unique and original challenge, because there are so many random variables and weird things enemy players could try to do that it makes them unpredictable to a degree I haven't seen in any other game. The result is that the matches are so memorable and distinctive that I still think about moments from 500 hours ago. It's also introduced me to some of the genuinely coolest folks I've played any game with through the Awful discord.

I really think this is one of the most remarkable games around today, as countless safer and more conventional multiplayer games have died and vanished in their first year, but somehow this unorthodox niche game for insane people is still going strong in its sixth year and even setting new playercount records. The devs continue to support it with a lot of content and I'm glad Hunt is going to be with us for awhile yet.

Great list, great pics, and everything you say about Hunt is true and right and good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Fucken hell BP I'm literally crying. What a post

:unsmith:

VVVVVVV :unsmith::unsmith:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 29, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Party Boat posted:

3. Dark Souls

Almost exactly a year ago I booted this game up on my Steam Deck for the first time. I'd had the trilogy for years thanks to various bundles but the reputation of the series as a punishing grind had put me off.

I'm not sure what made me try Dark Souls but I'm so glad that I did. I have Terminal Metroid Brain so the moment that I took the elevator down from the Undead Parish and found that it deposited me back at Firelink Shrine I was completely sold on the game's design.

The thing I hadn't realised before I played Dark Souls was how funny it was. Yes, it's full of weird lil guys, but almost every doorway is a practical joke where the punchline is “four skeletons stab you”. Getting killed by a trap or mimic inevitably just made me laugh at my own carelessness rather than get frustrated. My favourite comedy moment was climbing to the top of Sen's Fortress, dodging (and being flattened by) endless rolling boulders and finding that the mechanism was driven by… a giant with a huge pile of boulders.

This was my first experience with Souls bosses and while I definitely tilted a couple of times on the more challenging ones that just made them all the more satisfying to take down. Fighting Artorias and learning his moves was the highlight of my time with Dark Souls, and it seems like Fromsoft agreed as bosses that reference Artorias turn up throughout subsequent games.

As I said at the outset Dark Souls has a daunting reputation and it's not completely exaggerated - I saw the words YOU DIED many, many times this year. But this game kickstarted me, someone who's officially Bad At Video Games, to become a Souls guy.

2. Dark Souls III

At first blush DS3 seems like a slightly desperate attempt to reassure anyone put off by Dark Souls 2. “It's okay, it's like the one you enjoy! Look, Andre’s here! Please don't review bomb us!” I was initially pretty put off by this, but was soon won over by just how good it was to play. DS3 is fast, responsive and brutal. It's filled with references to the previous games but these callbacks feel earned instead of cheap, especially in the Ringed City DLC which acts as a conclusion for the whole series (and contains some of its best battles).

I enjoyed playing this game so much that when my almost-finished save game was lost (victim of a lack of cloud saves) I was excited to play through it all again and complete the sidequests I'd missed the first time. When I finally put Dark Souls 3 down I was satisfied that my Souls journey was over and that it was the best game I'd played that year. Until I played…

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Remember how I said learning Artorias’s moves, figuring out his openings and turning the tide on a battle that initially seemed impossible was my favourite part of Dark Souls? Sekiro gave me a game full of bosses like that. Removing the options for different builds means you can't just out level or otherwise cheese most bosses: you have to learn them.

Every boss that took me multiple attempts went through the same process: I began overwhelmed, began to recognise moves that I had good counters to, put together more and more of the boss’s moves and finally emerged victorious. The handful of bosses that are reused or remixed at points throughout the game could be criticised for being uncreative, but I always enjoyed the opportunity to see how my skills had improved. Genichiro is the best example of this: he made short work of me at the start of the game, the rematch partway through was a tough fight that I eventually overcame, but when he turns up ahead of the final boss he's little more than a warmup act for the main event.

And what a main event. Sekiro’s final boss, like so many others, had me playing until late at night. I gave up, went to bed, and then took him apart with my morning coffee. In that moment there was no question - this was my game of the year.

(And don't worry, I've started playing Elden Ring and 2024 will have to be an amazing year for it to not feature on my list.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you love to see it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bone emulator posted:

I can't believe there is another Infinite Warfare defender out there, other than me.

Despite my resistance I was encouraged to play it by some other defenders on here, namely QoP and Veni.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bone emulator posted:

07. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty + Cyberpunk 2077

That's right! It's the best update or DLC of the year! That poster who put Cyberpunk as their game of the year before playing it all those years ago is finally vindicated.

That dude is legend.

Great list btw

I think this might be my favorite FROM questline overall. This image was my gaming moment of 2022.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Awesome. Top 5 is all RPGs, Fridge would be proud. ;-*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tempura Wizard posted:

2023 – The Year of the (Arcade) Rat

The year was 2010 and I was dissatisfied with life. Failing to get into a program a desperately desired to be a part of, I moved back home to while away a few years working on a postgraduate degree.  I had a stipend, so at least I wasn’t burning money, but I certainly wasn’t making much either. Suspended animation.  Purgatory.

While my studies were going well enough, I had begun to lost interest in the things I once loved, primary among them, games.  I had been an avid collector of Famicom games in college, building up a large library and diving deep into the history of games that came before I was born and left their mark on the games I grew up with.  However, stuck where I was, it all felt so trivial.  What was the point of games?  What was the point of anything, really?  I had fallen into a deep nihilistic funk.  I sold the lion’s share of my collection.  I got into some bad habits that I took a long time to recover from.

Eventually enough, I pulled myself out of it, thanks to a few life-changing books, some good friends, and a place that opened in my hometown within a year.  An arcade.  Not just any arcade, but one run by a maniac with a passion for the medium and an eye for quality. One focusing on Japanese sit-down style candy cabinets (loaded with hard-as-nails shoot em’ ups and fighting games) classics from the golden age of the early 80s, and pinball machines from their respective renaissance in the 90s.  There was no other place like it in the entire region, and here it was opening in my backyard.

Closer to its current form, but very much familiar

I hit it off with the owner and soon was part of the circle, stopping by just as much to shoot the breeze and hang out with him and the regulars as much as playing the games.  And what games there were: the owner had an extensive collection of arcade PCBs and was constantly rotating what was in the cabinets on a monthly basis.  I got a crash course in arcade history, interactive style.  There were tournaments and parties, but on any given weekend it felt like a party even if there wasn’t any official one.  It was a truly special time and place, and I feel extremely lucky to have been able to live it, to become, against all odds, a bit of an arcade rat in the 2010s.

It meant a lot to me to have this very special third place – a place where I could leave my troubles behind without resorting to substance use, a place where I could learn fascinating new things about a part of the hobby I had never really known or cared about before.  I tried all the games and would dabble for hours but I wouldn’t say I ever really excelled any of them at all.  For whatever reason at the time I didn’t have the focus for the shmups or the dedication to improve at fighting games.  I was there for the vibes.  And for the puzzle games.

The greatest achievement of these years was not my degree, but winning back-to-back high score contests on Vs. Dr. Mario

Eventually, as things do, things changed.  I had to move away for love and work, and the arcade moved to another location.  It’s still plugging along but has to put up with competition from a barcade downtown and a big multinational chain at the mall.  I’m sure it still holds magic for some, but the magic is different.  I haven’t been back to my hometown in nearly a decade.  May it stay there for many years to come, and be something special to someone else the way it was to me.

Yet here, hundreds of miles and a dozen years removed from that, I had my own little arcade revival, in a year packed with banner release after banner release.  Thanks to modern rereleases I could play those games that saved me, and those I wanted to give my undivided attention to but had to let pass by.

A big part of this is because I’m part of a family now and getting older, and that means less personal time to sit down for a 100+ hour AAA game.  Staying up all hours of the night becomes a more dangerous prospect, both for my personal life and for my health.  Arcade games are immediate because of the intended setting.  You get right into the action to set players up for the failure state, in order to boost revenue.  

Amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fuckin a, great list, great gifs. Thanks for some great recommends this year!

Awesome stuff, such high quality posting ahoy itt

snoremac posted:

1. Inscryption
I only wanted to make this post after playing this. Was hungover and bored the other day. I hated Pony Island, which was also lauded, but I gave this a shot. I've flown through the whole thing in three days and was sad to see it finish. The base card game is extremely fun. I had no inkling of anything that was to come and don't want to hint at it to anyone who hasn't played, but I recommend you get this while the sales are on and jump in blind. A perfect game.

Love to see this game occasionally blow someone's mind. :3:

Party Boat posted:

I'm 20 hours into elden ring and while it's very very good and will almost certainly be on my 2024 list, if I had to make room for it on this year's list based on what I've played so far it would bump DS3 to 3rd place with Sekiro remaining as champion

I think I might like DS3 better than Elden Ring :sweatdrop:

VideoGames posted:

The sheer amount of gaming ambrosia I have absorbed these last 36 months are making me powerful beyond belief, however, and I will consume the world.

Hell yeah, VG, I loved reading your list. Truly a most bless-ed blob.

VideoGames posted:

BP I loved your post so much and read your #1 aloud to LVG and she thought it was wonderful. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself in this one.

:unsmith: Thanks, Veeg, I def lost a couple days of sleep over it. I guess I was worried I'd convey it in a way that came off as insincere, so I'm pleased that it resonated

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lookit all these lists poppin right before the deadline

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veegy must be buried alive in lists like a head sticking out of the sand. and lvg will use the head as a chair

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Time flies and I have a NYE dinner to get to so hopefully I can sneak this in. Alas, I didn't have time to do a wrap up for each of them:

10: EA WRC
9: Terra Nil
8. Advance Wars 1+2: Reboot Camp
7. Street Fighter 6
6. Mortal Kombat 1
5. Gravity Circuit
4. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
3. Cocoon
2. Lies of P
1. Baldur's Gate 3

Happy New Year!

Geo Fixer posted:

Getting a quick list in before the year ends.
12.Jackbox Party Pack 10
11.We Love Katamari + Royal Reverie
10. Helldivers
9. Cadence of Hyrule
8. Suika Game
7. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
6. Super Mario Wonder
5. Super Mario RPG
4. PIZZATOWER
3. Advance Wars: Rebootcamp
2. Deep Rock Galactic (ROCK AND STONE TO THE BONE!!!)
1. Pikmin 4

in order for these lists to count you would need to write a short blurb about each game in the next 90 mins. cheerio!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rusty? :shrug: