Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My top games of the year are:
1. Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Can't praise this game enough. My absolute favorite title of the year. Great characters, and story that adds onto the previous game and grows the returning characters and world. Adds so much to the Star Wars universe, and the quality reaches and even surpasses the movies in many ways. This isn't just Star Wars dressing, it thoughtfully improves the universe and at no time feels like fan service. Channels the best of Star Wars, and improves upon it in ways that Lucas Films under Disney has been unable to do. Respawn has crafted a very approachable and player friendly metroidvania like world as well.

2. Super Mario Wonder
Shigeru Miyamoto has always claimed that Mario was based on things he saw in nature when growing up, with some not so subtle hints to drug use. Mario Wonder goes full mask off on the drug use. Such a wonderful fun and outrageous game that blows my expectations away on what a Mario platformer can be. Takes everything best about Mario, and amplifies it 10 fold.

3. Final Fantasy XVI
FINAL FANTASY IS BACK! I was very nervous about this one. The series has gone downhill so hard over the last few console generations, except for Final Fantasy XIV. But between this, and Final Fantasy VII Remake, we are eating well as fans. The soundtrack, characters, graphics, world, and story. All of it is perfect. Was worried about the game being only a party of 1, but that ended up not being an issue at all. The combat, based on Devil May Cry, was perfect, and felt amazing. At no point did I ever get bored.

4. Forspoken
Under appreciated gem. The marketing for Forspoken was SO loving TERRIBLE. It did this game absolutely no favors, and it was unfair to the devs who made this gem. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but what Forspoken focuses on doing, it does really well. Modest open world, and thoughtful story that the marketing failed to convey and set the game up for failure. Very approachable, with industry defining accessibility, fun characters, and straight forward story that doesn't try to do anything crazy or overwhelm the player.

5. the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
I don't think too much needs to be said here. Tears of the Kingdom creates such an incredible, fun to explore, and rich open world. Really not even just one open world, BUT THREE, and does it on a Nintendo Switch, a console that is using mobile Nvidia hardware from 2015. One of Nintendo's most ambitious video games they have ever created. An absolute masterpiece filled with so much thoughtful content. Everything matters, everything is carefully placed, and the game lets you engage with as much or as little of it as you want, making it one of the most approachable and accessible Nintendo games to date as well.

6. Armored Core 6
My new favorite FROM Software game. I love me some big robots, and this is by far the best Armored Core game to date. Immersive world, and just incredibly responsive combat that feels fair but challenging. Perfectly balanced difficulty. Every encounter feels like a puzzle that you can approach in so many different ways. Lots of freedom to craft your mech however you want.

7. Cyberpunk 2077: Phatom Liberty
Cyberpunk 2077 at release was my dream come true open world sci-fi RPG. I was so disappointed though at how broken and buggy the whole experience was. CDPR though has redeemed themselves here. Listening to feedback, and then doubling down and fixing drat near every single player complaint, and adding tons and tons of new content and activities. Not only is a smaller section of night city added, but the rest of night city is added onto as well, with an overwhelming amount of new missions, and side activities to do, all of it feeling really fun to take part in. The world feels alive, and the new endings added, address some of the issues with the main story and V as a character. Its a fantastic finale to this 200+ hour long RPG.

8. Lies of P
This was an absolute surprise hit, and ranks among my favorite souls-likes. Another victim of bad marketing, and the premise just seeming not very interesting, but it actually takes the premise of a well known fairy tale story, and turns it into a meaningfully well done and fleshed out dark and oppressive world. Lies of P does not necessarily do anything interesting with the combat, its competent and works really well. The world design is perfect as well, at no point did I get lost, something I feel like a lot of souls-likes have a problem with, is over designing their levels and being too confusing, I find the most challenging thing of souls-likes is knowing exactly where you're suppose to go! The ending credits to Lies of P, sets up the next game and I couldn't be more excited for it.

9. Spider-Man 2
Takes everything Sony has made over the last 10 years, along with everything great about Spider-Man, and Miles Morales, and combines them to make one of Sony's best games to date. Massive open world that feels perfectly designed for the premise of being Spider-Man, with a thoughtful story that perfectly captures the comic books. Peter, and Miles, are two characters that always have internal conflicts, and how do you tell their stories with that main premise, and still do it in a way that is unique, thoughtful, and feels approachable to newer fans, or those unfamiliar with the source material? Spider-Man 2 does that.

10. Dead Space
I am not even really a fan of horror, even in the sci-fi space. But the original Dead Space was so approachable, fun, and intense. I loved it a lot, and it stood out to me as a really good action sci-fi horror game that was up there with Resident Evil. The Remake addresses the few glaring issues with the original, namely the graphics, and makes it an incredible looking game that feels brand new and unique. Perfect length that does not overstay its welcome, Dead Space is what I expect from remakes now in 2023 and going forward.

11. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
12. Fire Emblem Engage
13. Quake 2 Remaster
14. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
15. Like a Dragon Gaiden: the Man Who Erased His Name
16. Assassin's Creed Mirage
*VG just shave off everything after 10!

Action/Adventure: Star Wars Jedi Survivor
- Runner Ups: the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Assassin's Creed Mirage

Story Drive Action: Like a Dragon Gaiden: the Man Who Erased His Name

Platformer: Super Mario Wonder

Role Playing: Final Fantasy XVI
Runner Ups: Baldur's Gate 3, Super Mario RPG, Octopath Traveler 2, Star Ocean Second Story R

Open World RPG: Forspoken
Runner Up: Starfield

Strategy RPG: Fire Emblem Engage
- Runner Ups: Disgaea 7

Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat 1

Racing: Forza Motorsport

Sports: MLB the Show 23

Action: Armored Core 6

DLC: Cyberpunk 2077: Phatom Liberty

Retro Game: Quake 2 Remaster

Adventure Game: the Expanse

Visual Adventure: Goodbye Volcano High

Open World Action: Spider-Man 2
- Runner Ups: the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

First Person Shooter: Quake 2 Remaster
- Runner Up: Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun

Remaster: Quake 2
- Runner Up: Persona 3 Portable

Best Soundtrack: Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
- Runner Up: Goodbye Volcano High

Best Rhythm: Theatrhythm Final Bar Line

Most Disappointing: Diablo IV
- Runner Up: Starfield, Splatoon 3

Remake: Dead Space
- Runner Up: Star Ocean Second Story R

Souls-like: Lies of P
- Runner Up: Wo Long Fallen Dynasty

Sequel: Star Wars Jedi Survivor
- Runner Up: Kirby's Return to Dreamland, the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Armored Core 6

Story: Star Wars Jedi Survivor

Immersive Open World: the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Voice Acting: Star Wars Jedi Survivor

Accessibility: Forza Motorsport

Difficulty & Approach ability: Forza Motorsport

Graphics: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Best Game of the Year: Star Wars Jedi Survivor

All games completed as of December 3, 2023 (end credits were reached on January 1, 2023 or later):
Witcher 3
Forspoken
Dead Space Remake
Homeworld
Homeworld 2
Fire Emblem Engage
Returnal
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
Aliens FireTeam Elite
Octopath Traveler II
Edge of Eternity
Sakura Wars
Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun
Syndicate (2012)
Like a Dragon: Ishin!
Phantom Brigade
Uncharted 4
Catherine Full Body
Hogwarts Legacy
Terminator Resistance
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Starfox 64 3DS
Fire Emblem Fates - Birthright
Fire Emblem Awakening
Gotham Knights
Fire Emblem Fates - Conquest
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
Greedfall
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Claire
Everspace 2
Persona 3 Portable
Azure Striker Gunvolt 3
Yakuza 0
Granblue Fantasy Versus
Redfall
Daemon X Machina
Marvel's Midnight Suns
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed
Final Fantasy II
Grand Theft Auto V
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun
the Last of Us Part 2
Prodeus
Diablo IV
We Heart Katamari
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Final Fantasy XVI
Final Fantasy V
Front Mission 1st: Remake
Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire
Grimaces Birthday
Orcs Must Die! 3
Exoprimal
Armored Core
World of Warcraft: Dragonflight
Sacred 3
Baldur's Gate 3
Tomb Raider (1996)
Quake 2
Quake II 64
South Park 64
Quake (Saturn)
MLB the Show 23
A Short Hike
Armored Core VI
Starfield
Mega Man X Dive Offline
Mortal Kombat 1
Lies of P
Blazing Star
Goodbye Volcano High
King of Fighters 95
Metal Slug
Shock Troopers 2
Nam-1975
Aero Fighters 2
Die Hard Arcade (MAME)
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Time Crisis
the Expanse
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
ToeJam & Earl
Sonic Adventures DX
Disgaea 7
Assassin's Creed Mirage
Forza Motorsport (2023)
Spider-Man 2
Left Alive
Super Mario Wonder
Star Ocean Second Story R
RoboCop Rogue City
Aliens: Dark Descent
Like a Dragon Gaiden: the Man Who Erased His Name
Achilles Legends Untold
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

tbh... the rules aren't SUPER clear, they're really wordy. Some bold might help?

The rules for lists for example, was put in later. That wasnt there when I last looked at the OP. But regardless I intend to update my original post further (with more lists) (im kidding, will write something).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VG, I updated my top 10 list with some words for each.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VG posted:

??? The rules have not changed. They are copied from the 2022 GOTY and I even originally forgot to change the 2022 to 2023.

That is my bad then for completely overlooking that originally! I have corrected my mistake in my original post.