Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
1: PIZZA TOWER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlq6fFOqI28&hd=1

- Incredible music. Like legit, one of the best game soundtracks in YEARS. Every single stage has incredible music, and the final boss theme is an all-timer.
- Excellent gameplay, extremely fast and rewards being able to combo into movement tech, from diving to understanding Peppino's momentum, speed is important but understanding that speed is doubly so.
- Visual style perfectly captures a 90's/early oughts cartoon vibe like Courage the Cowardly Dog or Ren and Stimpy, without using grossout humor.
- Animations are unbelievable, Peppino has literally thousands of frames of animation

- perfect game loop, make your way gradually through a stage before reaching the support column at the end and having to escape as fast as you can going backwards through the stage
- taunt is also a parry, very useful but not necessary to enjoy the game
- has ranks for comboing and speedrunning stages but I'm not really into that, but it's cool it's there for those who are
- did I mention the music is loving INSANELY GOOD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gGacb8cO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiCTsIsvcK8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m34Cls1Vmd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bB0FNGlrEs

one of the best games to come out this year, and it didn't even get nominated for Best Indie because Geoff Keighley is a hack who doesn't know what indie games are. :colbert:

-------------------------------

2: HI FI RUSH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgd4aU56Kig&hd=1

- came out of loving nowhere, shadow dropped during a microsoft event, they played the trailer and then were like "YOU CAN PLAY IT RIGHT NOW". ballsy, and I think worked really well for them.
- EXCELLENT soundtrack, both licensed and unlicensed for streaming purposes! It even has Invaders Must Die! I actually like a lot of the unlicensed stuff more than the licensed tracks.
- Phenomenal visual style, definitely the best style and designs in a game I've seen in a while. Perfectly captures a cartoony aesthetic despite being a pretty visually spartan game. Has amazing onomatopoeia effects explode off enemies as you hit them, and I like the main character designs a lot.
- EVERYTHING IN THE GAME moves to the beat, your character, your UI, the environment, the enemies, EVERYTHING. This is a Devil May Cry-style game mixed with a rhythm game, and it works amazingly well.
- Your robot cat, 808, is a reference to the Roland TR-808 and all her noises are from that, it's great
- Combos and extra moves flow seamlessly, and you can refund moves for like 95% of the purchase price, so you can experiment as much as you like. Very much appreciated. Game's real fun and can be very frantic, most enemies are great fun to fight, the only ones I'm not a big fan of the Samurai robots though. great design, but their final attack is a real pain in the rear end on a level no other enemy, including most bosses, is.
- The story is simple but effective, it gives you everything you need and doesn't really break the mold, but it's still very enjoyable.
- EXCELLENT voice acting. They all knocked it out of the park, I even liked Korsica's VA despite the hilariously bad scottish accent
- The humor is top loving notch, got multiple genuine belly laughs from me many many times. seriously excellent jokes throughout, the villains are hilarious, the references to things are spot on, CNMN has so many excellent lines, and Chai is a perfect dingus.

3: HOLOCURE

every single one of the characters in the above image is a playable character with unique super moves and character-specific items! and the dev is planning on adding like 40 more!!!!

I have not played any of the "Bullet Heaven" genre pioneered by Vampire Survivors until the last couple days when I finally gave Holocure a shot, and then proceeded to put like 8 hours into it over the course of two days. I don't really like how Vampire Survivors looks, though I did buy it since it's only two dollars. but do you know what's better than two dollars? ZERO DOLLARS! Holocure is a fangame of the Vtuber agency Hololive, developed almost entirely by Kay Yu, who previously was the animator for River City Girls. And it shows, the spritework in this game is excellent, it's soft and cutesy but powerful and punchy when necessary.

Kay Yu made this as a fangame and has ADAMANTLY REFUSED to accept money, whether it be to buy or as donations, for this game. it's kind of infuriating, really. I understand his reasoning of not wanting to accept money for it because that would make it into less of a passion project and more of an actual obligation, but still. LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY GOD drat IT

as expected, this game becomes a clusterfuck towards the end of a stage/as endless grinds on, to the point it can be hard to see your character amidst the sheer amount of enemies and poo poo flying around nonstop on screen. but it wouldn't be a Bullet Heaven without that honestly.

the music is phenomenal mostly renditions of existing hololive music turned into fantastic chiptune bops that perfectly fit into the endless levels, especially the first stage's theme, Suspect, and the second stage's theme, Candy-Go-Round:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_GAxGs88jQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt9xG8w5_qg

the enemies are basically all representations of a given talent's fans, and the bosses, items, super moves and honestly most other things are generally representations of memes from the various talents. the bosses in particular are great, you get a big warning circle when they arrive and then something like these slams down to cause trouble

also, there's an entire Stardew Valley-alike(I think?) as a side game that he just kinda crammed in there as a bonus, which you can use to either just play on its own as a chill thing or get buffs for the main game. And also apparently the fans you can catch as "pets" have names of actual subscribers of their given talent, which is an honestly neat touch.

also, you can pet the dog.

4: SLAY THE PRINCESS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W4cOiqHxG4&hd=1

- Game is best gone in as blind as possible. If you need further encouragement to try it blind, a minor description from the devs: it's a visual novel with Stanley Parable vibes and a dash of Disco Elysium.
- One of the biggest surprises of the year and would be #2 if not for Hi Fi Rush. Had never heard of it until I encountered a discussion on a podcast about it.
- Made by the husband and wife duo, Tony and Abby Howard.
- also voiced by two people, Jonathan Sims and Nichole Goodnight. The voice acting is nearly perfect, with a few spots I'd say they could've done another take, but it's honestly not a big deal. Most of it's amazing, and both of them did an incredible job doing like 20 different variants of their respective voices
- Storyline choices are fantastic, I greatly enjoyed many of the routes. My favorites were The Adversary, The Razor, The Damsel, The Witch, and The Specter
- I like the pencil sketch artwork. It's usually pretty simple, but boy when they wanna go hard with it, they sure loving do
- Surprisingly good music, very fitting in basically every instance.
- I love the finale and everything that goes down. It's not often you get a dialogue boss fight
- I have seen this type of story before, for sure, but this one was exceptionally enjoyable for me.

My two "I post these every year because I still play them every year" games

5: MINECRAFT
Needs no explanation. I play it heavily modded, but for survival and exploration variety, rather than technological complexity or RPG bullshit. With multiple mods adding dozens if not over a hundred biomes both above and below ground, there's certainly a far more vibrant amount of things to see over vanilla MC.

6: MAGIC THE GATHERING: ARENA
Magic is still the best card game ever made. The new sets have largely been fantastic, even if I'm currently taking a break from it, the latest set looks quite fun and the few drafts I've done of it have been super fun.

edit: added Holocure at #3, bumped Slay the Princess, Minecraft, and MTG Arena down a spot each

1: Pizza Tower
2: Hi-Fi Rush
3: Holocure
4: Slay the Princess
5: Minecraft
6: MTG Arena

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Regy Rusty posted:

Page 1 and you fuckers are already doing them in ascending order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_dXB7PslZs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just noticed pizza tower is not in the OP for notable january releases. I regret to inform VG that I will be confiscating his star, as he is clearly not skilled enough to handle this important task

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VG posted:

In the past the expansion counts as seperate if you played it seperately.

So you can give phantom liberty a single entry, but if you played them together as one game then I will categorise it under the ultimate edition of cyberpunk. I will fret about these things so you do not have to :)
put pizza tower in the list of notable releases for January you charlatan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Your deceptive vagueries confounded me, villain. Curses!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m sorry but if you don’t order your list 10-1 you are literally a cop
10: Baldur's Gate 3.2

9: Postmodern Warfare

4: The Scrimblo Bimblo Conspiracy

1: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War IV

8: Transformers: War for Oil

5: Marvel's Contenders

7: E.T. the Extraterrestrial

8: The Wonderful 100

3: Calzone Obelisk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jordan7hm posted:

This was so cool to watch. Couldn’t happen to more deserving guys either. I bought a copy despite knowing I’m not in my 20s anymore and my ability to devote hours to DF is just nonexistent, but it was payment for the huge numbers of hours I dumped into it 15 years ago. Probably the release of the year for me even if it’s not my personal game of the year.
yeah even if you never wind up playing it I really strongly recommend anyone who can afford it to either buy the game or chip into their patreon. There's nary been a more deserving pair of developers than the Adams brothers, and their work has directly inspired some of the most influential games and developers of all time, chief among them being Minecraft. And if you DO eventually try it out, it's one of the most insanely detailed world simulators that exists.

it is also worth noting that just a scant few days ago, they announced Adventure Mode for Steam DF, coming in 2024. So if you don't want to build a fortress in the most complicated simulation game ever made, you can instead personally explore the ENTIRE WORLD of the most complicated simulation game ever made, step by step. You can also first build a fortress, retire it once you're done with it, then GO FIND IT in the world as an adventurer.

I like how the trailer for it shows this by first having you recruit a giant shirtless hippo-man wrestler as a companion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1e5y4Ipzc&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Saw pizza tower and hi fi rush didn't even crack top 25, immediately discounted rest of list. Also suika game is a clone itself so it's funny seeing people gushing over it and decrying the clones of it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anyone who complains about list layout should be stuffed in a locker until january 2nd like the loser nerds they are

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
number them via pictoglyphs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
buddy when you actually get to the final sequence of events that occur in pizza tower's entire finale you are gonna poo poo if you already have it at #3 of your list. Look forward to it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ShoogaSlim posted:

dear ascending list posters:

why?
hahahahahaha how is ascending list delirium real hahahahaha learn to count in a different style hahaha

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jon Irenicus posted:

9. Minecraft
I say it every year, and it remains true - a permanent Realms subscription among the gang is one of the best values in gaming. There's something so satisfying to the core game loop. I played less this year than normal though because…
I really want to encourage you to switch from Realms to modded online minecraft. like I play using very outdated mods and even then it's incredibly robust, far more than vanilla. Oh The Biomes You'll Go and Biomes o' Plenty both add dozens of biomes each, totaling well over a hundred new biomes that with the requisite Terralith(iirc that's the required core mod for them) create immense, sprawling environments to explore. plus, with things like Yung's improved constructs, it spawns much more elaborate versions of the existing Ocean Monuments, Desert/Jungle/etc Temples, and the like. And that's only scratching the surface. If you want, I can provide my complete modlist(and even make a rar file of it all for you to cut down on getting it all), thanks to the extremely easy to use Prismlauncher, it's incredibly easy to select and update mods and keep a particular build of MC cohesive, it does a ton of the difficult work for you.

I don't even use the technical mods that are for building nuclear reactors or having to whet stones to create stone tools like Terrafirmacraft, all the mods I use are only for enhancing basic Survival mode and exploration, for creating more variety in the core gameplay loop of "wander, discover, loot, build". Like, I have been playing in the same Minecraft World for well over a year now, I've not felt the need or urge to start a new one at all. It's still the game I boot up almost daily as my relaxation game, and the mods make it so, so much better, which Bedrock MC just cannot compare to. Having the ability to craft backpacks that are modular and upgradeable is so unbelievably useful, especially with these mods that increase the total number of block variety to multiple thousands of types.

some screenshots(ones with shaders on aren't mine, the rest are):

I built a sandstone temple to protect the exposed nether portal I appeared in in the middle of a ruby crystal nether biome. the ruby blocks emit light, so can be collected in large amounts to act as bootleg Glowstone in a pinch.

do you like flower variety? because OTBYG and BoP add hundreds of new flower varieties. I have a central village I have fortified and turned into my main beekeeping village and flower town, where I bring all the new varieties of flowers to to expand the flower field there for the bees.

pumpkin patches are a biome, with huge pumpkins!

an unbelievably massive mountainous Dark Forest biome gave way to an even larger cavern beneath it via a massive gorge that cuts through it, somewhat hidden by all the giant mushrooms and dark oaks. it's this huge and the floor doesn't even start getting to Deepslate yet. I spent literally over a week mapping it out and illuminating it.

the Sophisticated Backpacks Mod lets you craft initially small backpacks, which can be upgraded and have tons of modular inserts to increase carrying capacity per stack, automatically pick up and sort specific items, and auto-feed you or auto-smelt things. I wander around with a backpack designed specifically to smelt all netherrack, clay, sand and stone into bricks, glass, and smooth stone, and I only need to swing by the nether every few weeks to load back up on lava buckets and loaded lava sponges to keep the fuel in it going for another few weeks.

one of my favorite biomes in Oh The Biomes You'll Go is called Lush Stacks, and it's huge crags and loopy stone eruptions out of the ocean, which make for incredible build sites:

my PC isn't strong enough anymore to be able to handle the pretty shaders mods, sadly. maybe once I upgrade it, but until then, default visuals it is, which don't really bother me.

but yeah, modded minecraft is still going strong and still phenomenal. I don't think I've put more time into anything as I have modded MC.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that that particular build looks very similar to your avatar, if the belfry was more towards the left it'd be nearly identical :v:

and yes, minecraft is very approachable. you can spend hundreds of hours in vanilla MC before ever needing to know anything you might need to wiki for. most of the stuff like that are for extremely obtuse things like how to breed villagers, how to spawn The Wither, how to find a Stronghold, or stupid trial-and-error things like how not to get detected in the Deep Dark.

also, with mods you can disable The Warden, which in itself is justification enough for playing modded minecraft, because gently caress that thing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I always admire Minecraft from afar but I always just kinda flail around in these sorts of games. I don't have much of a creative brain so I can never make much that looks good and then I just don't tend to vibe with heavy crafting/survival game styles.

I know Creative Mode exists but I still just kinda get overwhelmed and then feel like I'd rather play a game where I have more concrete stuff to do.

But then I see screenshots like those and it seems like such a Chill Vibes game.
in my opinion, never go into minecraft without some idea of what you want to do. whenever I go in, I think to myself, "what is my goal this time? what do I want to accomplish this session?" whether it be acquiring specific resources for adding on to one of the many villages I've fortified, or harvesting a ton of flowers to stockpile for later usage for dyes, or restocking on important supplies like iron/diamonds/nether bricks, etc, I always go in with a specific idea of what I want to do. sometimes my goal is "okay, look at my Xaero's World Map, and see if I want to flesh out an area that's currently fog of war. or maybe I bought a special map from a traveling merchant months ago that's been sitting in my backpack for ages, and decide it's finally time to trek across literally a dozen miles ingame to find what it takes me to. I do sometimes just go "gently caress it, let's wander in an unexplored direction for a few miles and see what we find" which is also valid, but again, at least when you start, something like "I want to build a safe shelter" or "I want to get iron tools" is a great beginning point.

recent session goals I've had:
- build a single nice house for a villager in one of my villages
- organize a new stockpile in a new village to leave a bunch of stuff from my backpacks in, so I can stop by and pick up things I might need later and to make room
- build a bridge with "support beams" across an 80-block-deep chasm between two mountains
- clear around a new nether portal I created on the nether side and build a safe area around it to keep potential Ghast attacks from turning the portal off, and also make the entire area around the portal look like the Overworld is encroaching into the nether around the portal

stuff like this is the kind of thing that keeps me playing the game. I let my creativity give me an idea and then roll with it.

My current character is in fully enchanted netherite gear and netherite tools all with mending, so I no longer need to worry about that stuff(yet, anyways. I recently found there's even further upgrades in some of the mods I have that require...some crazy poo poo), it's purely for building for me now. there's a potion mod I use that lets you craft Oresight potions to see specific ore blocks through walls, so it makes finding resources a lot less bullshit, but you can only see within a 20ish block radius, so it's not TOO ridiculous.

the thing about Minecraft mods is that there's something for everyone at this point. You want more elaborate cooking? Pam's Harvestcraft and Farmer's Delight have you covered. You want insane technological poo poo that looks almost like a completely different game? Create is your mod. Do you just want to loving put Pokemon in Minecraft? Pixelmon is a thing, I guess.

hell, there was a mod that turned minecraft mobs into anime girls you could date at one point, I believe. just...if someone has an idea, it's probably been made a minecraft mod at some point.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 10, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apologies if I've posted too much about Minecraft in here, it's a game that has really helped me stresswise and also a game I feel like has really been discounted more and more over the years despite doing what it does way better than pretty much anything else. I stopped playing it for a couple years, then got back in with a lot of mods, and it's been my mainstay ever since. love that loving game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ShoogaSlim posted:

i literally have no idea what minecraft even is as a game at all. it's been out forever and there's a south park about it and one of my friends like 20 years ago showed me something he built in it. and i've seen people online make, like, recreations of real buildings? and made like machines that work realistically? but there's also zombies and underground lava caves?

wtf is minecraft
it's digital legos. but also if it's too dark on a given block, then monsters can spawn there, so you have to light up the darkness.

so like, you often see minecraft screenshots that look like this:

because there's no object that emits light more than like 8 blocks away, so you have to space things out to light everything up so you don't get swarmed by mobs that spawn at night. or you just poo poo torches all over the place if you don't care about aesthetics

minecraft mobs are kinda lame but they're decent threats and can be turned off if you don't like them. obviously the most famous one is the Creeper, which was born when Notch tried to create a pig in the 3D modeling program, hosed up the dimensions, and it turned out like that, which is a brilliantly hilarious way for one of the most recognizable creatures in all of video games to come into existence. The creeper makes no sound but silently aggros towards you, then once it's close enough it hisses right before exploding. it's an excellent design, if infuriating. from one of the MC devs:

quote:

The story of the Creeper - it was supposed to be the pig, but Notch mixed the height and the width values, or the rotation of it, so it's standing up instead of lain horizontally. But it did have the AI behaviour of looking at the player. So he just thought it was extremely creepy, with this weird thing walking around, looking at you. So he decided to keep it as a monster. He wrote that a friend said it would be cool if it exploded *laughs* and that brought us to the Creeper.

The face was to clearly, with a limited number of pixels, make it look really dangerous. I think the green colour is supposed to be camouflage. But we're still debating - is it flesh? Or is it more like leaves? Or is it fur? You don't really know just by looking at the pixels. I know Junkboy debates that! *laughs*

then you have zombies, which just try to get to the player through the quickest most direct route possible, and aggro from insane distances. and the skeleton, which is slightly smarter than a zombie, and have near perfect aim with bows and arrows, and actively try not to burn to death when exposed to sunlight while zombies will just sit and die. spiders can climb walls to get to you. probably my favorite mob outside of the Creeper is Endermen, which are obviously based on Slenderman, who are passive mobs that can pick up naturally-generated blocks and will wander around harmlessly. until you look at them. then they will teleport behind or as close to you as possible and attack, with a horrific gurgling yell that doesn't consider distance with how loud it is. then there are the mobs for the other dimensions and I don't want to bother describing them.

but yeah minecraft has something called redstone, which allows you to literally code things in the game in a very rudimentary manner. you can also make note blocks, which play different sounds based on the blocks they are placed on when powered by redstone, so there's tons of covers of all sorts of music in minecraft using massive redstone machines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbGsHGaqqdk&hd=1

I don't understand redstone poo poo and don't bother with it. but it's neat that it can do cool stuff if people want to work with it.

there's also command blocks, which is just black loving magic, like someone made this using colored smoke particle effects in minecraft(music is layered over it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwhotujrJqE

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 10, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jay Rust posted:

Giant robots 😬
this almost seems like you do not like giant robots. and really, that cannot be, because who doesn't dig giant robots?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Worth noting there is free DLC coming for slay the princess in 2024 called The Pristine Cut that will add a bunch of things including multiple new routes. Which I am excited for, based on the possible routes already in the game. Plus that also means lots more excellent voice acting by Johnny Sims and Nichole Goodnight.

quote:

It asks you - how do you feel about being told what to do? About other people? About death? About change? About breakups?

and... are women bourgeoisie?
and the most important question: "I dunno, what do you wanna do?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's such a shame robot entertainment tried to pivot the orcs must die franchise into a moba with Unchained and failed spectacularly, leading to an underwhelming orcs must die 3 when they tried to pick up the pieces Unchained left them. I wish they'd just have kept Megamanning it and churning out near-identical sequels with slight improvements and additions each time instead, because the formula the first two games created was basically perfect for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Science_enthusiast posted:

4:SUBNAUTICA
I never finished this game, but only because I found it too scary. But up until I found it too scary it was one of the most magical experiences I have ever had in gaming. It really is one of those games that benefits from going in blind and figuring things out for yourself so I wont say much more apart from: if you have not played this yet and enjoy exploration and light survival mechanics then you should give this a try.
I implore you to finish the game. not only is the story actually decent, but the finale is solid too. in my opinion, Subnautica is one of the most "face your fears" games ever made. thalassophobia is no joke, and Subnautica triggers it like no tomorrow, but I think it is a good enough game to warrant pushing past the fear. The progression you make and the technology and vehicles you unlock eventually leads to building up the ability to take on those threats, and it is so, so immensely satisfying. that on top of some of the later biomes being incredibly beautiful, in particular the underwater tree housing the ghost leviathan egg in the massive cavern had me speechless when I first encountered it, and also putting a grappling hook arm and a drill arm on my Prawn Suit and rodeoing a Reaper Leviathan while drilling its brains out and it constantly tried to get to me until it died was one of the most gently caress YEAH moments in a game in years for me.

Subnautica is one of my all-time favorite games, please power through and finish it! I don't even know where you gave up, I'm guessing either surprise encounter with a Reaper, Crabsquid, or the Jellyshroom cave which all do a great job at never making you want to go down there ever again, but it is absolutely a game worth knuckling down and seeing to the end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VideoGames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pov-AZdt9MY
The Dark World theme is just an all timer. Appearing here the first time was such a suprise to me and this otherworldy version of the main theme is simply the best piece from the game.
allow me to enhance and/or ruin the dark world theme for you forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyUb2uvOv8

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bewilderment posted:

We have three days left to still achieve Slay The Princess PIZZA TOWER sweep

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SCREEEEEEEECH

HOLD IT! LAST SECOND ENTRY FOR MY LIST!

#3 HOLOCURE(bumping Slay the Princess, Minecraft and MTG Arena to 4, 5 and 6 respectively)

every single one of the characters in the above image is a playable character with unique super moves and character-specific items! and the dev is planning on adding like 40 more!!!!

I have not played any of the "Bullet Heaven" genre pioneered by Vampire Survivors until the last couple days when I finally gave Holocure a shot, and then proceeded to put like 8 hours into it over the course of two days. I don't really like how Vampire Survivors looks, though I did buy it since it's only two dollars. but do you know what's better than two dollars? ZERO DOLLARS! Holocure is a fangame of the Vtuber agency Hololive, developed almost entirely by Kay Yu, who previously was the animator for River City Girls. And it shows, the spritework in this game is excellent, it's soft and cutesy but powerful and punchy when necessary.

Kay Yu made this as a fangame and has ADAMANTLY REFUSED to accept money, whether it be to buy or as donations, for this game. it's kind of infuriating, really. I understand his reasoning of not wanting to accept money for it because that would make it into less of a passion project and more of an actual obligation, but still. LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY GOD drat IT

as expected, this game becomes a clusterfuck towards the end of a stage/as endless grinds on, to the point it can be hard to see your character amidst the sheer amount of enemies and poo poo flying around nonstop on screen. but it wouldn't be a Bullet Heaven without that honestly.

the music is phenomenal mostly renditions of existing hololive music turned into fantastic chiptune bops that perfectly fit into the endless levels, especially the first stage's theme, Suspect, and the second stage's theme, Candy-Go-Round:

the enemies are basically all representations of a given talent's fans, and the bosses, items, super moves and honestly most other things are generally representations of memes from the various talents. the bosses in particular are great, you get a big warning circle when they arrive and then something like these slams down to cause trouble

also, there's an entire Stardew Valley-alike(I think?) as a side game that he just kinda crammed in there as a bonus, which you can use to either just play on its own as a chill thing or get buffs for the main game. And also apparently the fans you can catch as "pets" have names of actual subscribers of their given talent, which is an honestly neat touch.

also, you can pet the dog.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
thank you for posting Legend of Wright, I had seen that ages ago in a trailer but at the time it wasn't wishlistable on steam so I completely forgot about it. snagged it so I can play it maybe in a few years!

fez_machine posted:

Slay The Princess
I love Scarlett Hollows but put off this game and now the devs are saying there's going to be a big patch with new stuff integrated so I'm just waiting.
yes, at this point I would definitely recommend anyone curious about Slay The Princess to add it to your wishlist on steam and to then buy it after The Pristine Cut releases. It'll be adding a ton of new stuff including multiple new routes, and the devs have even said to hold off if you've not played it yet until that version releases.

or you could play the current version and experiences the various routes that exist right now since it's obviously quite good as is, and then go back after it releases to see the new stuff, either or!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you have Ghostlore's rating there twice in place of the corgi shmup game's

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can we still post silly lists like top ten music tracks and stuff that won't be part of the proper listing tallies

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
games have really loving good music these days. this ain't news. but it feels like the bar has raised overall with game music, it's rare you hear about good games not having good soundtracks to go with them. the games on my GOTY list are no exception. Well. Besides Magic The Gathering Arena, the music in that is...okay, but I don't really pay attention to it and have turned it off before.

My Favorite Tracks From My GOTY Games:

Pizza Tower

It's real loving hard to pick a favorite, let alone three favorites, from Pizza Tower. There's way too many incredibly good tracks. But I think it's hard not to pick the final boss theme, Unexpectancy(parts 1-3). The first phase is a standard final boss theme, solid, expected, nothing to particularly write home about. Phase 2 starts, and you're confronted with a character mocking you, playing the clown, treating you with disrespect. The music takes a HARSH turn into the absurd, and works so well. And then, phase 3 begins, and Peppino is DONE. the music goes completely out of control, becoming an anime-feeling medley of previous themes in the game, triumphant, furious, heroic. Maybe my favorite theme in years, because it really kicks your rear end into feeling "LET'S DO THIS"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bB0FNGlrEs

It's Pizza Time is the theme that plays during every escape sequence, you get very familiar with it. It's perfect for getting you frantic and panicked, but also goes INSANELY hard. It's obvious why it's the iconic theme of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gGacb8cO4

Those two were basically shoe-ins for favorite themes, but picking a third was much harder. Would it be Peppino's Sauce Machine? Extraterrestrial Wah-Wahs? Hot Spaghetti? Pepperman Strikes!? Oregano Mirage? Were these all excuses to post more in my list than three? sure was! It's hard to pick! I was really tempted to pick Bye Bye There!, the excellent final escape sequence theme, it's hard to not go with it. But there's only one theme I think fits alongside the final boss and "main" theme of Pizza Tower, and that's WAR. A theme for a stage where you're thrown in on a timer, and have to make it through before it counts down to zero, or else you die instantly. Insanely frantic, and even lends a bit of dark history to Peppino, who is a veteran. Weird for a silly pizza man game to go there, but also, this stage goes HARD, and so the music must go just as so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiCTsIsvcK8

HI FI RUSH

A game about music, is expected to have a killer soundtrack. and Hi Fi Rush is happy to oblige. Sporting both a licensed soundtrack and a streamer-friendly version, funnily enough a lot of people found the streamer mode songs more fitting than the licensed ones.

The stage themes don't really get much love compared to the boss tracks imo, but I absolutely adore Production Destruction. one of those ones you can just sit there and go like "whoa, this is actually really good"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfmDIm2ybmY

The fight with Korsica is intense, it's not a normal fight but a parry battle, and that's made all the more on edge with the phenomenally solid theme they gave her. When you reach the final phase, the surroundings are flashing red, the beat is going as hard as it can, the clapping makes its way into the theme, it's so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB-xKoI8URA

The moment where reality hits Chai like a brick, knocking his idiocy out for at least a few moments before he returns to everyone's favorite dumbass, and he has to concentrate, harmonize, and realize what his new friends mean to him, and this music plays as it builds to a crescendo? can't lie man, gave me chills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azn-iY73QME

I specifically only went with non-licensed tracks for my hi-fi rush picks, but I have to give a special mention to the scene where Chai crashes through a window and Invaders Must Die kicks in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrXHMEymHkY

Holocure

The soundtrack of this game is comprised of chiptune renditions of existing Hololive jpop songs, and Eufrik has done a phenomenal job in making them incredibly good themes for intense bullet heaven action that you simply don't get tired of despite hearing for 20+ minutes looping at a time. The most famous example of this is of course Suspect(Roboco, Aki Rosenthal, and Nakiri Ayame), which while a catchy song, I think really shines as the very first stage theme. This track alone makes me want a jukebox option in the game so I can pick the track that plays during my runs:

the other theme that rivals Suspect for my favorite track from Holocure is definitely Candy-Go-Round(Roboco, Yozora Mel, Aki Rosenthal, Minato Aqua, Shiranui Flare), whose Holocure theme is just so somehow perfectly fitting for the second stage theme, it starts slow but when the "chorus" kicks in, it's hard not to nod your head along while you Save all those fans:

Then the Halloween Castle update came out, and with it came a rendition of Halloween Night, Tonight!(Yozora Mel, Murasaki Shion, Yuzuki Choco, Uruha Rushia) which goes incredibly hard for a Hololive song, but the Holocure version goes hard in its own way, especially when it includes Pekora's loving ridiculous laugh as a finale that somehow fits perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39lnsbTf8TE

Slay The Princess

The music for this was mostly atmospheric, in the background, but it was overall very good at amplifying the stakes of the game, and for that I'll give it props. I'd have to try real hard to pick three specific tracks that stood out to me, but the music overall was excellent. Giving the OST a quick once-over, I'd say these three had an impact on me from playing it:

the music that plays during the second phase of The Adversary is bombastic, thunderous, threatening. Perfectly fitting the Princess who wants nothing more than to beat you to death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-sx0KKde0Y

the music for The Thorn is tragic, beautiful, pitiful. A prisoner, hurting herself, but you have the opportunity to help. Do you help? You might hear this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuG-t47eF-4

and the last pick, going into Slay The Princess, you might not be expecting A DIALOGUE FINAL BOSS FIGHT!, but this game provides, and boy, the music for it is something else. Heavenly. Imposing. Final.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oZ_lLIcXE0

Minecraft

A lot of people don't really notice just how incredible C418's work on the original batches of music for Minecraft were. To me, they were an incredibly important aspect of the game, on top of the uniqueness of the game itself, the music lent the atmosphere an unearthly quality, an alienness that was serene, but at the same time, often unsettling. But at the same time, there was beauty in the calm the tracks often provided. One track in particular is not a track you'd hear during normal gameplay, only playing during the End Poem after defeating the Ender Dragon. It is called Alpha and I've sung its praises many times before, it's one of the most impressive pieces of video game music I've ever heard. A ten minute epic, it imparts an immensely nostalgic feeling, while also basically representing a "day" in Minecraft. Adventuring, resting, relaxing, dying. It's an incredibly beautiful piece and probably in my top 5 all-time game themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfm2nnCOpc

Taswell is another long track, made in memory of Ryan "Taswell" Davis, cofounder of Giant Bomb, who was friends with C418 and died suddenly on his honeymoon in 2013. It's an eerie, somber melody, but also hopeful and loving. "Remember the past, both the tragedies and the triumphs", it always felt to me. C418 is so exceptionally good at conveying emotion through music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6jF7I2s10

Dog is a very upbeat, almost silly track. It contrasts the often low-key themes of Minecraft, instead being peppy, catchy, and playful. You could practically skip along to this as you run through fields ingame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMOcqXM_d8o

While I picked three, I think the entirety of Minecraft Volume Alpha and Volume Beta are worth giving a listen to on their own, outside the context of Minecraft itself. They're very unique soundtracks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYJg_CCkYq8
Too Big To Fail - Hi-Fi Rush

Hi-Fi Rush has some fantastic licensed music for a lot of the bosses, but the replacement songs in Streamer Mode aren't anything to sneeze at.
funny enough I had that as my first pick for my three but decided I like Korsica's battle theme more overall in context. but that song does slap

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao that's great

sans transcends

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

haveblue posted:

According to the thread rules we are only allowed to be negative about hentai games and dota
I think it's pretty hilarious what valve did to dota smurfers and extremely toxic players, even pros and major streamers, for christmas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ce1slHZ88&hd=1

Here's your gift, it contains a permaban and also a bunch of really cool emotes you will never be able to use!

And the answer to "what if they didn't open the gift" is it automatically opens if they try to queue without opening it, there is no escape

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Always gotta make sure to point out penny's big breakaway is by the sonic mania team, because that immediately makes it like 5x more intriguing to me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Anno posted:

But my most anticipated game is Caves of Qud finally hitting 1.0.
*doomguy banging table gif*

DWARF

FORTRESS

ADVENTURE

MODE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the steam awards are a joke and very easily manipulated we know

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JonathonSpectre posted:

Thanks to absolutely everyone who recommended this, I would have missed it for sure and I'd have been worse off for it. My buddy is coming over tomorrow thinking we're just going to watch some movies or something and I can't wait to just start the game and hand him the mouse and see what he does on his trip down to the basement to Slay the Princess.
hell yeah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JonathonSpectre posted:

Well, Slay the Princess was loving amazing. Do NOT read this spoiler unless you've beat it, because you don't want to know! Trust me!

I'm not cruel enough to tell him "Hey your plan is loving ridiculous and I'm not going to do it, now die and know you failed," though.
I was! gently caress that guy! he tried to break the fundamental rules of the universe! gently caress'im!!!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While it's basically a 1 of 1, I've definitely played enough games with bad versions of them in it over the years that I want to give it a special shoutout, and it's hilarious that it's something I didn't even engage with in a completely free game until I was going for 100% completion.

Holocure has probably the best fishing minigame I've ever played. Unless fishing is the entire point of your game, I don't want to have to spend immense amounts of time and tedium to catch an appreciable amount of fish that I absolutely will be required to get for [reason] in the game, because fishing minigames almost never are completely optional if you, say, want to platinum a game.

it's a very basic setup: Simon Says on a bar, and you hit the buttons as they reach the circle, like so(the white circles are mouseclick icons, which mix up with the standard Simon Says arrows), and the top blue bar fills as you hit buttons and drains as you miss, until it is full or empty and you win or lose the catch. Sometimes it takes 2 button hits, sometimes it takes 12 for harder catches.

There are combo multipliers that both increase the speed at which things go, and also increase the number of bonus fish(!!!!) you catch with each cast. That last part is what sets it apart from any other fishing minigame I've encountered; things like Stardew Valley or whatever, you're still only catching the one fish per cast, and it's generally a massive waste of time. But if you're catching lower-tier fish with a high-tier rod in Holocure, you will catch a SHITLOAD of them per cast. Like usually a dozen or more if your combo's in the 20s-30s. I reflexively clicked through and forgot to screenshot it, but I caught 18 Shrimp(the bottom tier catch) in one cast once. And caught 10 Clownfish in another:

and if you get your combo modifier high enough, like 50+ with high tier rods, you'll start to catch multiples of the top tier catches at a time as well, like so:

It's entirely a side gig thing, all of Holo House is, but the catches can be either sold for tons of cash(Axolotls especially) or cooked to make buff food for normal Holocure runs. Just a very good optional system they added on to the main game, I'm really impressed. The farming and minion things are barebones as gently caress and not great, but the fishing minigame is basically perfect. Plus NPCs will come and fish nearby too and sometimes leave some of their catches on the shore, which are some nice extra freebies. It's still just a fishing minigame, but it's both decently fun as a reflex game and also doesn't horribly drag on like pretty much every other fishing minigame I've ever encountered, and that it's in a game I literally cannot give money to the dev for is hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have not touched BG3(need to buy a computer that can run the loving thing. someday.) but the things I have seen from that game are simply on another level from others.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, uh, PIZZA TOWER SWEEEEEEEEEEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually, I'm curious, how many people specifically have not tried pizza tower because it's PC only and the dev(s?) which look to be pretty young guys based on the shot of them at the game awards, don't seem to be in a rush to port it to other platforms.