Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Getting in under the wire. Thanks for taking this on VG!

10. Roadwarden - I'm honestly not sure where I happened upon this, possibly a steam review from a friend? It has a compelling and engaging story with enough content that you'll probably need multiple runs to see everything. I also enjoyed the pixel art style they chose to go with.

9. FTL: Faster Than Light - FTL is like comfort food to me. I can always rely on this to provide me with a good time and it helps that it can run on just about anything.

8. Total War: Warhammer III - Hard to put this on the list given how awful the developer has been with handling the game this year but I played it a lot and had fun when I did. The modding community is one of the best around vastly increasing the longevity and quality of the game.

7. I Was a Teenage Exocolonist - Picked this up based on last year's thread and glad I did. I appreciate how LGBTIQA+ friendly the game is and have had a lot of fun exploring the possible paths you can take on your journey. I can't bring myself to befriend Vash, gently caress that guy.

6. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon - Pretty shocked a FromSoftware game is this far down my list. I had a lot of fun with the game but it didn't sink its hooks in me like other FromSoft games have.

5. Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - This game is a lot of fun with friends and has come a long way from its release. They seem to be making an honest attempt at a live service game and their recent updates have been packed full of great stuff. This is the closest I have gotten to a successor for L4D2, if only there was an 8-player versus mode...

4. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - I haven't paid attention to CD Projekt Red's redemption arc but I must admit the final version of Cyberpunk 2077 is a lot of fun and the DLC a worthwhile expansion. I am cautiously optimistic for the sequel.

3. Fear and Hunger 2: Termina - This is a gem that a group of friends clued me in on and I'm glad they did. The original is awesome but I ended up mainly watching Super Eyepatch Wolf play through it which was immensely entertaining. This is the type of RPG I'm here for, something that is merciless, weird, and compelling as gently caress.

2. Starsector - I had seen the thread for this game for years, this was the year that I finally dived in and am I ever glad I did. The game is loving incredible. I love that the developer has been working on this for ages and refuses to list in on Steam until they are satisfied it is ready. I can't think of any game that really scratches the same itch and the countless mods only elevate the game to greater heights.

1. Baldur's Gate 3 - What's there to say that hasn't been said already? I'm glad I waited for the full release. I started my second run immediately after finishing my first which is incredibly rare.

Levin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

Top 5 things I listened to while playing video games

5. Revolutions

Mike Duncan's follow up to his History of Rome podcast. I get confused by all the names while playing video games. Bolivar was a fascinating guy tho.

4. Trueanon

Great podcast! One of my favorites. But the subject matter is often much darker than the fun times you are having with pixel people while listening, creating a dissonance. But still if you want to learn about JFK conspiracies while playing Tiny Rogues, good choice! Brace mentions metal gear a lot.

3. The Mountain Goats, Jordan Lake Sessions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Se76S0XH-I
My favorite band ever! I love the Jordan Lake sessions! Everyone who has ever been sad loves the Mountain Goats. In this song in particular John mentions playing video games which is why I picked it for this post.

Exquisite taste but I would have gone with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmsCDVTvOcI

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Picked up Hi-fi Rush during steam sale based on the thread and having a blast! I imagine I will also pick up Lies of P and Alan Wake II when they are more heavily discounted. Love thread, thanks again VG and Rarity for all your efforts.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Glad to find the thread still open and sorry I couldn't participate during the countdown. Thank you Rarity for starting and running the thread for so long, I understand needing to make changes and I hope those changes are serving you well. Thank you VideoGames for picking up the torch and all the work you've done to make this yet another great iteration of one of my favourite threads on the forums. Thanks to everyone who participated also, it's a true pleasure to see so many posters share their thoughts and feelings so passionately.

Games I have picked up so far, in part, based on the thread and am thoroughly enjoying:
Hi-fi Rush
Against the Storm

Games I plan to pick up, largely, based on the thread and anticipate enjoying:
Octopath Traveler II
Super Mario Wonder
Alan Wake II
Lies of P
Pizza Tower
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Welp, guess we have to keep this party going until we hit 169 at least, Rarity start cracking the whip.