Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Baldur's gate 3 is easily my game of the year. I've played it the most I love everything about I and each new patch just makes it better. Not only my game of the year not only my crpg of the decade but my favorite rpg of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My son's game of the year: Pizza Tower. This might the first game I ever saw him really sink his teeth into. He's six.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If 5 is the minimum here is mine.

1) Baldur's Gate 3
2) Pizza Tower
3) Street Fighter 6
4) Super Mario Wonder
5) City Game Studio

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shard posted:

If 5 is the minimum here is mine.

1) Baldur's Gate 3
2) Pizza Tower
3) Street Fighter 6
4) Super Mario Wonder
5) City Game Studio

In my defense the rules were really long! And also fine I'll put it in descending order because I don't want to be a cop.

5) City Game Studio - I sunk a lot of hours into this game. It dethroned Mad Game Tycoon as my favorite game dev sim. And the best part is it keeps getting new features added to it and has a pretty robust mod page on the steam workshop.

4) Super Mario Wonder- easily the best co-op Mario that's ever come out. A ton of characters to pick from, new animation, fun to play, you don't get in each other's way. I had a lot of fun playing this with my son.

3) Street Fighter 6 - A fighting game so good that I bought it day one even though I haven't done that for a fighting game ever. Modern Controls made it so I could actually learn strategy and the amazing netcode actually let me play like 100 online matches quickly.

2) Pizza Tower - the most unique game I've played in years. Feels hand drawn. The sprite work is immaculate. It feels like something you would watch on cartoon network in the late 90s in the same vein as cow and chicken. Soundtrack bangs so hard. Going for P rank was a ton of fun and challenging. My son got this before me and we played it so much together that it made it into my list. One of my favorite memories of the year was going for a p rank and my son and daughter cheering me on as they watched.

1) Baldur's Gate 3 - my favorite RPG of all time. It's arguably got too much content but despite that I have finished it 3 times and have 5 different save files going between the copy I bought on my computer and ps5. The support it has gotten is probably the best of all time. I can't think of any other company that has done as much as well or as quickly as Larian. It will be the rpg I judge all others by until it is dethroned if it ever is for me.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah I added Eco to mine because my son loves minecraft. I'm getting him a steam deck for his birthday so that game might be perfect for him down the line.

Also it didn't make my top lists but I'm reminded of stuff I played and loved from this thread. Like the final fantasy rhythm game. Vampire Survivors. I got really into idle slayer on my phone. Just lots of great games

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The only hidden gem from my list would be city game studio. I played a lot of Mad Games Tycoon 2 earlier this year and after that tried every single early access game dev simulator I could get my hands on. I refunded them all except this one which I enjoyed so much I have put more hours into it than Mad Games 2. It gets updated very often as well.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

I hope you guys don't mind but Polygon did a top 50 and I think it's well worth a read

https://www.polygon.com/23648669/best-video-games-2023

I disagree with Starfield and Diablo 4 even being on a top 50 list. Otherwise good list.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

God, can't believe I forgot to mention Speaking with Animals in my write-up for BG3. Every day I woke up at camp I immediately chugged a potion of the stuff, I can't imagine playing through the game without taking every opportunity to chat with the animals and hear what they have to say. ESPECIALLY the cats. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtBE4JxTOmE

Play as a bard wake up cast speak to animal and detect thoughts and speak to the dead.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I believe the GOTY 2023 thread is a place where both the ascenders and descenders can coexist peacefully.

evidently you believe incorrectly

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm updating my list I thought of more games I loved

7) Final Fantasy 16 - Whenever a new FF game comes out I always check it out. I have been playing these games since I was a literal baby. And I've loved most of them! This one is another good one. Epic is really the only word I can think to describe it.

6) Arcade Paradise - Great soundtrack, lots of fun to manage your arcade and all the fake arcade games are fun to play. Really fit a niche I was looking for at the time which was old arcade games haha.

5) City Game Studio - I sunk a lot of hours into this game. It dethroned Mad Game Tycoon as my favorite game dev sim. And the best part is it keeps getting new features added to it and has a pretty robust mod page on the steam workshop.

4) Super Mario Wonder- easily the best co-op Mario that's ever come out. A ton of characters to pick from, new animation, fun to play, you don't get in each other's way. I had a lot of fun playing this with my son.

3) Street Fighter 6 - A fighting game so good that I bought it day one even though I haven't done that for a fighting game ever. Modern Controls made it so I could actually learn strategy and the amazing netcode actually let me play like 100 online matches quickly.

2) Pizza Tower - the most unique game I've played in years. Feels hand drawn. The sprite work is immaculate. It feels like something you would watch on cartoon network in the late 90s in the same vein as cow and chicken. Soundtrack bangs so hard. Going for P rank was a ton of fun and challenging. My son got this before me and we played it so much together that it made it into my list. One of my favorite memories of the year was going for a p rank and my son and daughter cheering me on as they watched.

1) Baldur's Gate 3 - my favorite RPG of all time. It's arguably got too much content but despite that I have finished it 3 times and have 5 different save files going between the copy I bought on my computer and ps5. The support it has gotten is probably the best of all time. I can't think of any other company that has done as much as well or as quickly as Larian. It will be the rpg I judge all others by until it is dethroned if it ever is for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

did the final list get compiled yet?