Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Here's my list.

#1 - Street Fighter 6 - I've always wanted to "get into" a fighting game, and this one finally did it for me. Excellent gameplay, solid netcode, good matchmaking. Easily my favorite game of the year.

#2 - Gris (2018) - I played this back when it first came out and remembered absolutely loving it. It came to Game Pass a few months ago so I decided to give it another shot and yeah, it's really, really good. The art & music are phenomenal and the gameplay is good enough to pull you through. I love these little one- or two-sitting experiences, and this one sits at the top of the heap for me.

#3 - Sea of Stars - I like a solid RPG and this is one of those. The timed hit system in combat keeps it engaging, and it has few enough encounters that every one feels meaningful, instead of just like trash mobs. I haven't quite beaten it yet, but I think I'm getting close.

#4 - Ghost Song - This hit Game Pass late last year and I played it early this year. It's a pretty standard Metroidvania, but there was something about the aesthetic, writing, and especially the voice acting that just clicked with me. I ended up basically 100%ing it, which I don't do much these days.

#5 - Halo Infinite - I play this a couple times a month with friends, it's always a good time. They introduced a ton of new multiplayer content this year, a handful of new full maps and a bunch of Forge-mode maps, including many inspired by favorite maps from previous Halo games. It's in a really good state right now.

#6 - Chunithm - This is an arcade-only rhythm game from Sega with a unique touchstrip controller. I discovered it a year ago when I was out of town, and found out a kickass local arcade has a machine. Now I go to the arcade once every month or two to play for a couple hours and hang with some of the local rhythm game crew.

#7 - Super Mario Wonder - It's a good Mario game. I prefer the SMB3 style of more dexterity challenges, to the SMWorld style of gimmicky/exploration stages that Wonder apes. But this one's still a winner.

#8 - Octopath Traveler 2 - A more hardcore RPG. I actually didn't end up beating this one. Several of the final bosses were just too hard for me to beat and I don't find the grinding fun enough to do voluntarily, so I quit. But I had a good time going through the stories, and this is probably the #1 game by playtime for me this year.

#9 - Age of Empires 2 (Xbox) - This one came to Game Pass and I played it quite a lot early in the year. It works shockingly well on controller. Brought back a lot of memories of high school gaming. The multiplayer ends up getting stale pretty quick, so I didn't stick with it, but I had a really great time with it for a month.

I think that's pretty much everything I played this year. I did play TOTK but uhhh let's just say it didn't make it into my top ten.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Also thanks to everyone who makes this thread happen & writes posts in it. I read every single one and jot down notes for games that look interesting, which I then never get around to because I play like six games per year. I really gotta do that Void Stranger one though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

dear ascending list posters:

why?

I don't know the full list off the top of my head so I start with my favorites and then work down from there until I can't think of anything else to add. Boom, list.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

jesus christ read the loving OP

I think you should take a break, friend.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

8. Myst - I can hardly believe this came out in 1993, it looks so good by early 3d standards; a lot of it still holds up today.

Myst holds up shockingly well, yeah. The puzzles are a little contrived, but I actually prefer that to the more integrated puzzles of Riven, where you're not even sure what is a puzzle. Really impressive game design chops in that series.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

drat good list and solid number one choice. I should go back to it, I haven't played since 3 originally came out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

moosferatu posted:

7. King's Quest 1

I played this game a ton as a child, but don't think I've played it this century. I had a blast replaying it. I was impressed by how much of the game I remembered subconsciously; completed it without any hints. I don't know if the game holds up or not without the nostalgia, but it'll always have a place in my heart.
I think this wins the "most unexpected to appear in a list" award.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

this was the year of me crossing as many of the smaller indie titles off my list as possible,

Hell yeah, this is my kind of list.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

HopperUK posted:

If Street Fighter 6 is really a game that can get People Who Cannot Play Fighting Games into fighting games, I might have to get it. The last time I had fun with a fighting game was probably the original Street Fighter. I liked Blanka.

It is really, really good, but make no mistake, it is a Fighting Game. If you don't like fighting games, it's not going to turn you around on the genre.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hello! The OP says:

VideoGames posted:

As such, the results will be a little into January - probably Saturday the 9th at the earliest if all goes well!  Definitely no later than Saturday the 16th.  I will start at 2:00pm UK time whichever Saturday it is!

Did you mean the 6th and the 13th? Or maybe the 20th??? Thank you.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Tulip posted:

10. Age of Empires II DE

Plus the cubemod is very cute.

What on earth

Argona posted:

6. Tyrion Cuthbert - Wizard ace attorney. Starts off a bit too much carbon copy but around case 3 it really embraces its own identity and is far better for it. "Nothing will be concealed!"

Gonna have to try this. I've played the original Ace Attorney trilogy so many times I practically have it memorized. Another take on the formula sounds great.

abraham linksys posted:

Myst - I remembered playing this as a child and being utterly baffled by it. As an adult, I finally tackled it, and... not nearly as baffling as I thought, though gently caress that piano puzzle. Had a pretty good time.

I had the same experience playing Myst as an adult like a decade ago. Not nearly as mind-bending as I remembered it being. Definitely did cheat on the piano puzzle and the submarine sounds one though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I bought Brotato, Blasphemous 1 & 2, and Void Stranger because of this thread, and added a dozen others to the wishlist for later. Also finally figured out how to hook the Steam Deck up to my TV and get a Switch controller synced to it and oh my god it's the perfect console.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I understand the impulse, but I think it'd be cool if the thread stayed positive.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Shard posted:

did the final list get compiled yet?

Yeah. Street Fighter 6 won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Crazy stuff.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lol

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I knew it was a long shot but I was hoping for a top 3 finish for SF6.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MikeC posted:

So can anyone qualify how Octo 2's story and pacing is better. I haven't read the entire thread but a lot of the people voting for it say it is better than Octo 1 which I got very bored of half way through and didn't finish. I want to try this but I also don't want to light 60 bucks on fire.

It is a very long and somewhat slow game. I finished 1 but couldn't quite make it all the way through 2.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GGs (good games), y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am banning everyone who posts on this page

No don't.