Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Personally I'm a big fan of Skrelv (and his Hive), but Crawling Chorus has great art (and is a pretty nice Doomed Traveler-esque), Karumonix is sweet in Rat decks, Rex is a big old bomb period, and Tainted Observer was fun to play in draft.

Now to read the OP and the rest of the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fajita Queen posted:

I play Pot of Greed, which allows me to draw two additional cards from my deck.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fajita Queen posted:

I play Pot of Greed, which allows me to draw two additional cards from my deck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I activate my trap card, Jar of Greed, which lets me draw one card from my deck

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's not what it does.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This loving card is as busted and toxic as you would think the one ring would be:

So fundamentally this thing comes in, protects you for a turn, and you get some card draw while hurting yourself. This is really strong and absurd for something that can go in any deck. However, that's the fair way to play it because this gets broken pretty easily and in a lot of formats becomes a menace. You can abuse the legendary rule and copy it (or play multiple) to remove the one with a lot of counters and reset it with a new total. Or you can blink (remove from play then return to play) with a variety of effects. However, I love it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Spanish Manlove posted:

This loving card is as busted and toxic as you would think the one ring would be:

So fundamentally this thing comes in, protects you for a turn, and you get some card draw while hurting yourself. This is really strong and absurd for something that can go in any deck. However, that's the fair way to play it because this gets broken pretty easily and in a lot of formats becomes a menace. You can abuse the legendary rule and copy it (or play multiple) to remove the one with a lot of counters and reset it with a new total. Or you can blink (remove from play then return to play) with a variety of effects. However, I love it.

You're telling us the One Ring is dangerous, sure, but you can control it, and that you "love" it? Would you say it's precious to you?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tree Bucket posted:

You're telling us the One Ring is dangerous, sure, but you can control it, and that you "love" it? Would you say it's precious to you?

Yes but turns out I can control it by simply putting it on and off a bunch of times while you just tell the dude running FNM "he wins, I give up"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heath posted:

That's not what it does.

:v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This card has the shared record for spending the longest time on the banlist and only got unbanned this year.

it was universally considered the weakest card on the banlist and was the result of a really old and really hated deck which aimed to clear the opponent's board and hand, and summon and attack with Yata. Since this skips the draw step of the opponent's turn, this is an instant game-over if they don't have any graveyard effects to activate (and this was in 2003, when graveyard effects were somewhat rare).

the original banlist, by the way (this was the first one which actually banned cards instead of limiting them to one copy)

of these, Cyber Jar is still banned in the Japanese/Asian format for unclear reasons (but legal in western formats), Fiber Jar, Delinquent Duo, and Painful Choice will almost certainly never be unbanned, and Imperial Order will probably not come back, given that they tried bringing it back with an errata, and had to ban it again.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
can never trust nerds with a jar

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fiber jar is really low on like "power" but clearing the board/GYs and shuffling all cards into the deck was way too good at enabling time-stall strategies so it's not coming back ever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had all those forbidden cards in my deck at one point or another lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Duster is at one copy and still sees play. Raigeki is a bit niche because there are just better board-wipe options out there.

Change of Heart was funny because some people freaked out and thought it would break the game, but nobody uses it competitively anymore. Still really fun to slot into a deck as a really sacky topdeck

e) the card which kind of replaced both of them was Lightning Storm which has the effect -

quote:

If you control no face-up cards: Activate 1 of these effects;
● Destroy all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls.
● Destroy all Spells and Traps your opponent controls.
You can only activate 1 "Lightning Storm" per turn.

which despite being both conditional, and weaker in power level than Duster/Raigeki, is played far more often because it's modal.

Feels Villeneuve has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Dec 6, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why does "Raigeki" have an English name in Japanese and a Japanese name in English? :confused:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that happened a few times, and i think the reason is just "Raigeki sounds cool"

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Heath posted:

That's not what it does.

That do be what it does

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Tiggum posted:

Why does "Raigeki" have an English name in Japanese and a Japanese name in English? :confused:
This is a choice often made in translation - The intent of the original was for the card to have a name that sounds cool and foreign, so they kept true to that intent by swapping the languages. There's certainly stranger Yu-Gi-Oh translation choices, Waboku comes to mind (Transliteration of part of its original name 和睦の使者, which just means Emissaries of Peace)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

despite the simple effect, this might be the single strongest YGO card ever printed.
This reminds me of this 30 minute video specifically about why Maxx "C" is busted that I had a great time watching. Fun series if you like banned cards and the often weird reasons they end up as such
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76zlZ51G0dc
(the section about the "Maxx 'C' Challenge" had me particularly delighted)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I haven’t played yugioh in probably twenty years but a translation thing I enjoyed learning about is how the english version of every card in the “frog” archetype has to specify “except Frog the Jam” because that card’s japanese name is different

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

World War Mammories posted:

I haven’t played yugioh in probably twenty years but a translation thing I enjoyed learning about is how the english version of every card in the “frog” archetype has to specify “except Frog the Jam” because that card’s japanese name is different

Theyve done an errata and changed rhe name to Slime Toad.
Rip that condition.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Intrusive thought: frog, frog the jam, frog it up

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of Frogs, was Toadally Awesome as big of a bastard as it looked?

Because it looks like a big ol bastard

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

How can it have 0 Defence. surely it dies instantly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

How can it have 0 Defence. surely it dies instantly

That's only in Magic. In Yugioh it can have whatever, but the usual resolution is you subtract attack from attack or attack from defense depending on what position the target is in. If the attack value is higher, it dies.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Pay the 1?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'll never pay

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Heath posted:

I'll never pay

YOU FOOL

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Heath posted:

I'll never pay

i hate you

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I need that mana to cast Wayfarer's Bauble.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I will not pay

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Dec 9, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Good ole nekusar loves these. This deck can get people really salty and quickly makes everyone at the table not have fun

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That is some real good card art. Looks like some trashy 90s horror VHS cover.

I don't know if this counts as toxic but I loved the old infinite squirrel loop exploit in MtG:

I also really liked those fungus creatures that kept making GBS threads out saproling tokens. Always fun to stress people out with.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I never made a really good "poo poo out infinite tokens" green deck as a kid, because I was pretty bad at the game and also quit long before squirrel cheese was a thing, but goddamn did I play a lot of Thallids

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just in the "weird poo poo" category more than the "toxic" category"

quote:

Send any number of monsters from your side of the field to the Graveyard to activate this card. Select from your Deck 1 "Alien" monster whose Level is equal to the total Levels of the sent monsters, and Special Summon it. If you fail to find a monster to Special Summon, you take 2000 damage.

This terrible card's second condition is literally illegal. You can not "fail to find" in YGO, and instead of 2000 damage, you will get a judge call.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also it's more for people who already know the game but there's a good channel of showcasing insane online YGO replays of people trying jank/gimmick decks, and the first one on this video is one of the most deranged things i've seen

i like the chat's delayed realization what the implications of both players having Appropriate set means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yLhCbaJX8

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just in the "weird poo poo" category more than the "toxic" category"

This terrible card's second condition is literally illegal. You can not "fail to find" in YGO, and instead of 2000 damage, you will get a judge call.

I've never played. Why can't you fail?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yu-Gi-Oh has two major problems compared to other TCGs. The first is that the design seems very sloppy, on a card by card basis. Like the card that was posted above. A good example of that are the so-called hand traps:

Both of these cards are activated by sending them from your hand to the graveyard. But one says "Send this card from your hand to the Graveyard" while the other says "Discard this card". At first glance, these two seem completely identical. Toss them in the graveyard from the hand to get an effect. In practise, that difference in wording greatly affects how they can be played.

There's a number of cards that have the effect "Any card sent to the graveyard is banished in stead." Like most TCGs, Yu-Gi-Oh has a banished/exiled zone.

You'd think that these effects would apply the same way to both phrasings. You activate them, and just send them to the banished zone in stead of the graveyard. Except in practise, "discard" works. It just takes a left and goes into the banished zone in stead. But "send from your hand to the graveyard" doesn't. Since it can't enter the graveyard, that particular cost can't be activated.

The game is full of little weird ways in which you need to understand how each particular bit of rules text is phrased, and how that affects other things. Like the difference between "send a card from the field to the graveyard" and "destroy a card on the field". Or "target a card your opponent controls" and "choose a card your opponent controls." All these little variances seem to be done with very little thought applied to it. Games like Magic regularly have thorough overhauls to the rules texts to make sure that cards function consistently. Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't have that.

The second problem is that it doesn't really do format rotations like most other card games do. Simply, any card ever printed (save for the banned/restricted list) is legal. In practise, that means that the main impetus to get players to buy new cards is to make sure that each archetype/new set is more powerful than the last. This has led to not only massive power creep, but also complexity creep, of which this is probably the most infamous example:

Pendulum monsters were a massive leap forward in complexity in general, if only because each one is basically two effects in one: A pendulum effect (the top box), if they exist in your spell and trap zone, and a monster effect (the bottom box) if they exist in your monster zones. Side note on another 'fun' Yu-Gi-Oh quirk: This particular archetype involves putting counters on your cards. And you have to use physical counters. You're not allowed to use dice for that, for reasons.

Another good example of complexity creep is the banished zone. Like I said, most TCGs have that. It's basically the void beyond your graveyard, where nothing can interact with those cards. Once it's there, it's gone. Except over the years, Yu-Gi-Oh has begun treating the banished zone as just another zone. Archetypes like Floowandereeze actively use the banished zone as a resource. Eventually, a new mechanic was introduced, banishing cards face-down. They still go into the banished zone, but because they're face-down and there's no information available, you can't interact with them.

Except when you can. Because complexity creep means that a recent archetype, Kashtira, can now interact with face-down banished cards too:

XYZ monsters like that one have material - the cards stuck underneath them, attached, in game terms. Most of them have effects where you can detach those cards to activate abilities. And some cards, like this one, have abilities that let them attach other cards as material as well. This one takes them from the banished zone. And it doesn't care whether they are face up or face down, thus allowing you to create situations where you banish your cards face-down, then attach them to this card. Cards attached to XYZ monsters are always face-up, so suddenly they're in play again, even though they were supposed to be super-duper banished.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've never played. Why can't you fail?

You can not activate a card if you can't resolve it. I think this might have been printed before they really made that explicit, but activating a search card with no valid targets is not allowed, and you'll probably get a judge warning if you do that.

Feels Villeneuve has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Dec 12, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Skios posted:

Both of these cards are activated by sending them from your hand to the graveyard. But one says "Send this card from your hand to the Graveyard" while the other says "Discard this card". At first glance, these two seem completely identical. Toss them in the graveyard from the hand to get an effect. In practise, that difference in wording greatly affects how they can be played.

one of the most notable ones is that if Macro Cosmos/Dimensional Fissure/Dimension Shifter is active, which has the effect "All cards which would be sent to the graveyard are banished instead", you can activate Ash, but you can't activate Maxx C, because Ash doesn't care where it's discarded to, while Maxx C specifically says to send to the graveyard.

though honestly some of the rules that get brought up as confusing aren't as bad as they seem. after they did the text overhaul, targeting is basically just "Does the card explicitly say 'target'? if so, it targets", with the only exceptions being some extremely old cards which were never reprinted/rewritten, and probably don't ever see play.

e) here's a classic confusing rule - Dark World cards tend to have similar effects which trigger when discarded by card effect.

YGO cards are formatted as "Condition : Cost ; Effect". Raigeki Break is a card with the text "Discard 1 card, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it."

So if you use Raigeki Break and discard Beiige, you don't get to summon it, because it was discarded for cost, and not effect. If the card read "If this card is discarded", though (like the Danger! monsters do), you could activate it, because cards with that wording doesn't care if it's discarded for cost or effect.

Feels Villeneuve has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Magic has a lot of unintuitive rules also, which are obvious when you try to teach anyone the game. Text like "This deals 2 damage to target creature. When that creature dies this turn, exile it." are obvious to enfranchised players. That "when" is actually an "if", but "when" is an important word to designate a triggered ability. When I try to teach new players, they often read "when" as if that creature's death is imminent.

The most common is non-basic lands that tap for mana. "T: Add G" means I go fetch a Forest, right?

There's also Book Burning. I'm phoneposting on a bad network so I can't grab the card, but the first line reads "Unless any player has Book Burning deal 6 damage to him or her, put the top six cards of target player's library into their graveyard". The trouble is, the line break happens right after "Unless a player has Book Burning", leading some players to believe that Book Burning deals 6 damage to any player who doesn't have a copy of Book Burning in their hand. And then one of their opponents mills six.

Also, I love Thallids. My first rare was a Thallid Devourer. I'd make a Slimefoot deck, but it's in the toxic group of commanders with too many two-card combos.