Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I used to run Thousand-Eyes Restrict with those cards that limited the opponents' field space and wave motion cannon, which builds power over turns then you can fire whenever directly at a player. There were better ways to use it TER but it usually made people very angry to lose like that lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
This is now my favourite card name...
Marron no... :smith:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He's happier now

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Not sure how many people remember it, but MtG made a supplement called Vanguard back in the 90s. They were oversized cards you started with that gave you some advantages that were massively powerful.

I had the first 8 cards but I can't remember where I got them. Maybe InQuest magazine? Here are a handful.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The only Vanguard card to make any impact on MTG (that I know of) is this fella

literally impossible to play in card format, it requires you to not only know every single creature card in MTG history, but also have a way of randomly choosing one of those cards with a matching mana cost.

Fun as hell to play on MTG Online tho

Edit: for those that don't know, the way this plays is both players start with this in play and a 60 card deck with only lands, you then play the RNG game and see what bullshit you can get up to

AceClown has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jan 22, 2024

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, they love doing little “arcs” of famous monsters getting screwed over, like poor Sangan taking the bus ride from hell

the fact that only plain monster cards have flavor text is a crime. all cards should have flavor / (meta?)lore text

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AceClown posted:

The only Vanguard card to make any impact on MTG (that I know of) is this fella

literally impossible to play in card format, it requires you to not only know every single creature card in MTG history, but also have a way of randomly choosing one of those cards with a matching mana cost.
Incorrect.

I built a momir vig deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Here's a weird one:

This is a Plains. It's a basic land that taps for White mana. This art got used from the game's inception from 1993 to 1995.

This is a Wald. Wald is German for Forest. It's a basic land that taps for Green mana. It accidentally got misprinted with the same art as the Plains above. There are other Walds that were printed at the same time as this that actually looked like Forests.

If you're sitting across the table from someone and see this Wald in play it's going to look very much like a Plains, but MTG's rules define a card by it's name and not it's art. For a while, people could use this Wald to try to intentionally deceive their opponent by making them think it was a Plains. I don't know when it was changed, but the tournament rules now say "Players may use otherwise-legal non-English and/or misprinted cards provided they are not using them to create an advantage by using misleading text or pictures." so you can't pull this bullshit any more.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

naaa

quote:

Momir draws from a pool of tens of thousands of creatures, so it’s nearly impossible to replicate the experience with paper Magic cards

quote:

Every so often, Del brings along his curated Momir Basic set – a collection of over 400 creatures

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
I think it's nice that it's true to the spirit of Momir, though. It's intentionally curated to make every random draw interesting, maximizing the fun instead of the tedious probability of getting a vanilla 1/1 or something with an effect that will always fizzle since it wasn't played from hand

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Felonious_Monk posted:

I think it's nice that it's true to the spirit of Momir, though. It's intentionally curated to make every random draw interesting, maximizing the fun instead of the tedious probability of getting a vanilla 1/1 or something with an effect that will always fizzle since it wasn't played from hand

I haven't played it, but it seems to me that if you want it to be more than a "tried it once and that was enough" gimmick then spacing out the interesting draws would be pretty necessary. You want them to have some impact; to be dramatic. You need some normalcy for contrast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The filters on Scryfall would let you play it now, I suppose.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I haven't played it, but it seems to me that if you want it to be more than a "tried it once and that was enough" gimmick then spacing out the interesting draws would be pretty necessary. You want them to have some impact; to be dramatic. You need some normalcy for contrast.

Nah. This used to be WotC's design ethos in early Magic, now they don't even print vanilla creatures. Even if every card is equally interesting they're not all going to be equally relevant at all times, especially in a random pull format like this; it's not just about the time you pulled a cool card, it's about the time you pulled the right card at the right time (and the time you pulled a big cool card at exactly the wrong time and it whiffed or backfired hilariously.)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just sad that cube includes Phage in it. "Whoops you lost because you paid 7" just seems like it would be a really bad experience.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Randalor posted:

I'm just sad that cube includes Phage in it. "Whoops you lost because you paid 7" just seems like it would be a really bad experience.

It's unlikely enough that if you get it you're like I ain't even mad

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Randalor posted:

The true momir experience is skipping 7

But also lmao at having a "really bad experience" because you died in the most casual format

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
A friend and I played a homebrew M:tG format where it was a big stack of cards with no lands. You started with a one card hand and drew a card each turn. You could only play one card a turn no mana restrictions. If you felt like something was too broken or not broken enough you could take a sharpie to any card once per turn. Once per turn you could choose to add a new card to the deck from the giant pile of extra cards. We did balance changes involving card removal and adding and errata between every game. Any questionable interactions in game were determined by a kangaroo court.

Wrath of God somehow ended up being the most modified card. Just covered in errata front and back.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Randalor posted:

Anybody that doesn't roll on 7 is a coward and Momir isn't the right format for them :colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, okay, do you at least warn the players that "There's a 1 in X chance that you will lose if you pay 7"? Punishing people for not remember a mediocre legend that may have been printed before they were born with no warning seems overly cruel. At least if they have a warning, then it's on them for spinning the wheel.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Half the fun of Momir is having no idea what you're gonna get. There's some real garbage cards printed in the past 30 years or Magic, and no one expects you to remember all of them. Obviously a curated list could cut the worst of it out, but sometimes it's funnier that you paid 2 and got something with Banding than if you had gotten a Grizzly Bear or whatever. Phage falls into the "funny enough to include" camp to me because of the odds of rolling it.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

the holy poopacy posted:

Nah. This used to be WotC's design ethos in early Magic, now they don't even print vanilla creatures. Even if every card is equally interesting they're not all going to be equally relevant at all times, especially in a random pull format like this; it's not just about the time you pulled a cool card, it's about the time you pulled the right card at the right time (and the time you pulled a big cool card at exactly the wrong time and it whiffed or backfired hilariously.)

So many people annoyed about getting these in the timeshifted slot:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Randalor posted:

Well, okay, do you at least warn the players that "There's a 1 in X chance that you will lose if you pay 7"? Punishing people for not remember a mediocre legend that may have been printed before they were born with no warning seems overly cruel. At least if they have a warning, then it's on them for spinning the wheel.

It's supposed to be silly and goofy and weird and not serious at all. Being able to pull an instant lose is supposed to be fun, because it means nothing. Price is right losing noise plays, shuffle the stupid large deck, start playing the next game.

Besides, if you an pull an instant win it's only fair you can pull an instant lose too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there an instant win card in the curated set? If there is, then okay, fair enough.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

If that list has rolls on 11 and 15, then it has the two best original Eldrazi Titans, which might not actually have the text "win the game" on them, but may as well:

Even without the cast triggers, these things are backbreaking.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Platinum Angel, the card that says "you can't lose the game", also costs 7

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poorlywrittennovel posted:

If that list has rolls on 11 and 15, then it has the two best original Eldrazi Titans, which might not actually have the text "win the game" on them, but may as well:

15 is great, because other than Emrakul it's 3 janky cards with cost reduction effects that aren't good at all.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Randalor posted:

If this is the sort of thing that bothers you then Momir Vig is simply not for you, and that’s fine.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Randalor posted:

MTG Arena, one of the two online versions, occasionally runs Momir events. Awhile back, they included Demonlord Belzenlok in the creature pool.

The problem with this is that if you got unlucky with your 6 drop, it was a near auto-loss - the deck only has lands, so it would lead you to exile your entire deck. Unless you had a creature that could add cards to your deck somehow, or you had lethal damage on board, your next draw step would end the game.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Randalor posted:

I guess it's a feel bad if you hit it but there are so many 7 drops that the chances of hitting it are so small.

Iirc the strategy was to hold off and only hit 8s in the late portions of the game because you had the most "hits".

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Randalor posted:

not remember a mediocre legend that may have been printed before they were born

Nonsense, everyone remembers -

wait, Phage the Untouchable is 21 years old!?!? gently caress me.

The hype around Phage when it came out was absurd. There had never been a card before that straight up said "your opponent loses lmao" (unless you count alternate win conditions like Mortal Combat), and Phage was one of the two big story-relevant box-art legends in Legions, along with Akroma, Angel of Wrath, which ended up being a much better card. People went fuckin nuts for Phage. Then it proceeded to not be a good card in any deck in any format ever, and making people lose in Momir Basic is its only legacy.

I used to play Momir Basic on MTGO from time to time and sometimes you'd get people who'd skip 7, especially if they were playing first, or do 6 when they're on 7 mana. Even then, when the MTGO pool was smaller, this was a bad idea - the 1 in, idk, 100? chance of losing to Phage did not outweigh the loss of stuff like Iridescent Angel, Thriss, Ancient Ooze, or a huge swath of random big fliers. MTGO currently has 464 creatures with mana value 7, so it's even less likely now. And you'd generally only roll the dice on 7 once; then, and presumably still now, the dominant strategy is to go up to 8-drops.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fun fact about Phage. Unstable, one of Magic’s joke expansions, has a card called Summon the Pack. It’s a very expensive black spell that lets the caster open a Magic booster and put all the creatures in it onto the battlefield under their control. So when you play it, you want the pack to have as many creatures as possible. In this regard the best pack to open would be a pack of Legions, which was an all-creature set. However, Phage the Untouchable is one of the 45 rares from Legions. Summon the Pack doesn’t say you may summon the creatures you open. You HAVE to summon every creature you get. Thus, if you use Summon the Pack to crack a Legions pack then you’re guaranteed to get 15 creatures, but you also have a 1 in 45 chance of instantly losing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Half the fun of Momir is having no idea what you're gonna get. There's some real garbage cards printed in the past 30 years or Magic, and no one expects you to remember all of them. Obviously a curated list could cut the worst of it out, but sometimes it's funnier that you paid 2 and got something with Banding than if you had gotten a Grizzly Bear or whatever. Phage falls into the "funny enough to include" camp to me because of the odds of rolling it.

Yeah it’s a fun little event in Arena. Most games don’t seem to hinge on self destruction on turn 7, more often what matters is getting a flier out early or something that is generating lots of tokens.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lmao

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Man, I remember when big creatures had disadvanges.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Leviathan is the GOAT for expensive giant creatures:

I remember when that set came out, my friends and I built decks purely around this card just to see if it could do anything. We only got it in to play a handful of times and lost every game. Such a terrible creature.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The Giant Unplayable Blue Creature remains a Magic tradition to this day, for some reason. Or at least, it was still a tradition back when I was playing a few years back. They’re gotten a lot better, of course, but still.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

nrook posted:

The Giant Unplayable Blue Creature remains a Magic tradition to this day, for some reason. Or at least, it was still a tradition back when I was playing a few years back. They’re gotten a lot better, of course, but still.

What was the last one you remember? There's six mono blue creatures that have a mana value more than 6 in Standard right now. Two have cost reduction mechanics that make them playable for 1-2 mana, two are commons designed for limited that can be discarded for a cheap effect, one is an insanely powerful control deck finisher, and the last is a storyline character which is the most unplayable but not even that giant - it's only a 5/5.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I like those cards just because of the dichotomy between blue being known for low cost "no gently caress you" spells like 1 mana unsummons, 3 mana counters, etc only to have huge mana cost creatures that are big and deadly but bad. It's flavor. Blue is good at low mana cost so if they're gonna do a big mana thing it's gotta be terrible because it's out of the wheel house. That's green's thing. Stick to low mana gently caress yous and mid mana flyers with benefits because that's what you do best.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I love how it's 2024 and blue still doesn't have a vanilla 2/2 for 1U, and with modern design probably never will. It's the only color to not clear the bar of staple low end creature this way at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I loved benthic behemoth when I was younger