Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol i'm glad both games have an "if versus when" rule

YGO has it where you can only activate cards with an optional "When" stipulation if the trigger for that effect was the last thing to have happened. One important thing is that the chain in YGO works differently than MTG's stack, where you can only respond to the last card on the chain (so if your opponent chains three effects, and you have a negate, you can only negate the last effect on the chain, which is a legitimate way to protect certain effects from being negated).

This means that if a card has an effect "Do A, then, do B", you can't respond with a card with a condition "When A happens, you can do C", because since "A, then B" means that the two effects happen in sequence, A is no longer the "last thing to happen".

This actually does seem to be used as a weird way to allow for counterplay. I play a cat-themed deck called Purrely, with cards that all have effects like this -

The important bit is "Up to thrice per turn, when you activate a "Purrely" Quick-Play Spell Card (Quick Effect): You can attach that card on the field to this card as material..."

Purrely cards want as many materials attached as possible, since you summon their best cards by having five materials attached. So an actual form of counterplay to this card is for your opponent to chain literally any valid response to you activating one of your spell cards- this blocks you from activating the effect to attaching your card to the monster, since it's a "When/you can" effect, and was almost certainly done intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Reading these Yu Gi Oh cards is giving the that uncanny feeling of having a stroke. "Xyz summon?" What?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The extra deck used to just be the Fusion deck. After the original series ended, the next series, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, had several characters, including the protagonist, who focused heavily on Fusion Summoning. After that, basically every new Yu-Gi-Oh series came with a new summoning mechanic that used the extra deck:

5D's > Synchro Summoning
Zexal > Xyz summoning
Arc-V > Pendulum summoning
VRAINS > Link summoning

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heath posted:

Reading these Yu Gi Oh cards is giving the that uncanny feeling of having a stroke. "Xyz summon?" What?

I have no idea what those are but there used to be cards like X Tank, Y Dragon, and Z whatever the gently caress that you could sacrifice for the XZ Tankwhatever, XY Tankdragon and XYZ Dragontankwhatever so I guess they just reused the name

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You can not activate a card if you can't resolve it. I think this might have been printed before they really made that explicit, but activating a search card with no valid targets is not allowed, and you'll probably get a judge warning if you do that.

That's so loving stupid. I hate yu-gi-oh.

AFistfulOfBitcoins
Feb 11, 2014

Heath posted:

It isnt that complicated once you know them. The extra deck is 15 cards that you can summon whenever you meet the requirements for summoning them. There is no limit to the number you can summon, although individual cards may have restrictions (you can only summon this card once per turn, for example). Each type has different requirements:

Fusion: purple background. Often these require specific materials, and can be as generic as something lilke '2 monsters with different names' to 'monster x and monster y specifically'. These generally require being summoned by a card effect. Usually spells, sometimes monsters. Often the effect involves sending monsters from field, hand or deck to the graveyard. others require banishing monsters, others still require shuffling cards into the deck. The actual monster doesnt care though, so you could summon a specific monster by sending cards from deck to grave, or by shuffling cards from grave to deck. It all depends on which effect you use. This type of summon has so much variance because its the oldest type, and to keep up with the pace of modern yu gi oh better ways than 'send from field to grave' are needed. Generaly, these monsters are quite strong however and have been relevant for like th entire time they've existed.

XYZ (pronounced ex-eeze): Black background. These generally require 2 or more cards of the same level to summon a onster with the same rank. Such as 2 level 4 monsters to summon a rank 4. These monsters are then 'attached' to the xyz as material. Basically you put the materials underneath the xyz monster. What these materials do varies, often being 'ammo' for the monster's ability, sometimes they can grant the monster new effects. Rank 4 xyz monsters tend to be fairly generic and strong. There are ways to cheat out xyz monsters, once example being exosister monsters. They are basically exorcist nuns and whenever a card leaves either grave yard by an opponent's effect, each monster can xyz summon using only themselves as material. Xyz summons are so common lots of decks that primarilly use other methods will often include one or two xyz monsters.

Synchro: White background. these require 2+ monsters, usually one of which has to be a tuner. Tuner is basically a keyword some main deck monsters have, nothing more. The level of the monsters used for the synchro summon must equal the level of the synchro monster (most of the time atleast). So a level 3 and a level 4 monster could make a level 7 synchro. Generally quite strong, there are certain levels of synchro (10 and 12 mainly) that are strong and most synchro decks can make. Often a deck that wants to synchro has a way to modulate the levels of main deck monsters.

Link: Bluck background. Link monsters have a link rating, anywhere between 1-6 I think. That rating equals the number of monsters required to summon it. A link monster can count as either its link rating, or 1, towards the summon of another link monster. So if you want to summon a link 4 monster, you can use the link 3 monster you already control as either 1 material (in which case you'd need 3 other monsters) or as 3 materials (and so you'd only need one). If you had to link 3's on baord you could summon a link 4 with just those two- one counting for 3 and ther onther for 1. These monsters will fairly often also have specific requiresments, such as '2 monsters of a specific type' or '1 monster of a specific name'. These monsters are quite generic- monst good decks dont lock you into a specific summoning type, so lots of decks can take advantage of that. being so generic though, often their effects arent quite as strong, and the boss link monsters of specific decks often require specific materials linked to that archetype.

I realise that writing so much goes against my point its not so complicated, but honestly after my first couple of games I got the hang of them.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

That's so loving stupid. I hate yu-gi-oh.

It really isn't. Idk what other card games are like, i've heard magic is different in this regard but to me it makes no sense why you would be able to activate a card that wouldnt do anything? Like its just a basic premise of yugioh and you most certainly wont get a judge called on you. Only the biggest dweeb on the planet would call a judge. You'd search, realise you cant resolve it and go 'oh cant resolve it sorry' and just go back to before you played it. I've been to various levels of tournament from small locals to 3000+ player tournaments, calling a judge on a simple mistake like that would be ridiculous. Another thing to remember is yugioh decks are 40-60 cards, usually 40 for consistency reasons. It isnt that hard to remember what you have left, especially when often you're playing 3 copies of a card.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah when i mean it would get a judge call, it's more like it "technically" would get a judge call. unless you do it at a live streamed event or something, if you activate a search card and then find out you have no valid targets, your opponent will probably just let you take back the activation just to save everyone the time.

AFistfulOfBitcoins
Feb 11, 2014

While im here i wanna talk more about this card and why it was so bad. It went like 6 years without any play, because rank 7's are generally hard to make. enter Kashtira. This deck was entirely level 7 monsters (the correct level to summon a rank 7) and also banish cards face down, which is what diablosis wants. Previously if your opponent made diablosis, they'd only get to trigger the effect to banish cards from your deck face down on their turn. With kashtira, they could do it on either players turn. On top of that, itbanishes cards equal to the number of the opponents face down banished cards. suddenly, they are banishing cards from your deck at an exponential rate.

This is not where the bullshit ends. Enter: shangri-ira:

Its important effects:
During each standby phase, special summon a kashtira monster from your deck.
When a card is banished face down, choose one unused monster or spell/trap zone (there are 5 of each). While shangri-ira remains face up on the field, that zone cannot be used. There is no restriction on how often this effect can be used each turn.

Then we have Ariseheart:

Its important effects:
Any card that would be sent to the grave, is banished instead. This effect is ridiculous, almost every deck ever made needs its graveyard to function. If you did not have an answer to ariseheart before your turn started, this card alone would stop you from playing.
when a card is banished, attach 1 banished card (on either player's side) to it as material. This effect is mandatory.
During either players turn, you can detach 3 materials, target a card and banish it, face down.

So now to explain a little about why this is so goddamn toxic. First, diablosis' effect to banish a card from the extra deck is actually ridiculous. Often there are key pieces which you really cant afford to lose, even worse is the information it gives the opponent. The kashtira player gets to look through your extra deck, and now knows exactly what they are facing. A key part of having to go second is the fact your opponent doesnt know what they're facing. Now, they know exactly what to do against you.
Second, they will often have 2 shangri-iras up. This means that before you even get to play, they may have locked 4 of your zones off already. If you do start to play, suddenly they've locked off every zone you have. Oh, and diablosis has triggered forcing you to banish the top 10 cards off your deck face down. Next turn it will be 20.
Then we've got arise heart, eating up any of your cards that get banished, meaning more ammo for it to banish your poo poo.
And finally, this is accompanied by the kashtira maindeck monsters, which have good attack and defense stats, and can either banish a card you control hwhen you activate a monster effect (you will be activating a monster effect) or banish yet another card from your extra deck.

Perhaps the most frustrating aspect was their ability to follow up. Generally in the past (this is changing imo) you had combo decks, that build a big board and try and keep it there. Because if they lose it, they wont get enough gas to come back. Kashtira dint give a gently caress, you could completely wipe their board and they'd come back again and play through disruption like it was nothing. It should come as no surprise that both diablosis and ariseheart are banned now, and hopefully konami keeps it that way.

I'll end this with an uplifting story though. At YCS london last summer (with around 3k participants) then final was amazing. The top cut (so top 64) had a representation of something like %50 kashtira- everyone expected it to win. The final was between kashtira and a player on a hybrid deck of spright and fur hire. Fur hire was seen as a total joke since basically it released, and spright was good, but never hada chance to shine. I think by this point it had also lost a key card to the banlist- spright elf. These two archetypes combined was actually pretty good, and even though both of them were hurt by ariseheart's effect to banish any card sent to graveyard. Anyway, each match is a best of 3 games, and this one went into game 3, kashtira player starting. He builds a standard kashtira board, ie an oppresive abomination. He does either without interruption, or plays through it anyway. Passes turn, spright fur hire player enters standby phase and kashtira player uses the effect of shangri-ira to special summon a monster, for added disruption. Spright fur hire player is looking at a board where about 4 of his zones are locked out, on top of all the disruption he faces. Now's a good time to show you this card:

Kurikara had released some months before to little fanfare. People realised it was strong, but no deck had really been able to use it. The key effect is that you can special summon it by tributing monsters your opponent controls that have activated an effect this turn. This is no an activated effect, but a summoning condition. It's one of the most powerful forms of monster removal in the game. your opponent cannot respond to it in anyway, you simply slap it down on the field which tributes all the applicable monsters on their side of the field.

Anyway, because kashtira player decided to special summon in the standby phase (using a shangri ira's effect, which he did NOT have to use) the kurikara can tribute that shangri ira sending it to grave and clearing a few monster zonez now its gone. Except Kashtira player still had ariseheart. Shangriira is banished, and ariseheart's effect to attach is mandatory- the player must activate it, to attach a banished card to it. Then the spright player slaps down another kurikara, tributing the ariseheart. He's now got 2 3k attack monsters (they gain 1500 attack for each monster they tribute) to run over diablosis and the other monsters. At this point the kashtira player had his head in his arms, knowing that his choice to special summon off shangri ira cost him the title. He would've won if he'd held off. He didnt need to special summon it, his board was already strong enough. And me and my friens who'd scrubbed out were hooting and cheering at this guy getting destroyed by a deck nobody was using, with a card nobody was using. Even the commontators on the stream were amazed at a double kurikara- monsters like that almost always have a restriction on summoning more than once per turn. And overnight kurikara tripled in price.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah when i mean it would get a judge call, it's more like it "technically" would get a judge call. unless you do it at a live streamed event or something, if you activate a search card and then find out you have no valid targets, your opponent will probably just let you take back the activation just to save everyone the time.

Oh yeah totally, feature matches have like 3 judges hovering over you like vultures for missplay and procedural errors. Glad im a scrub and never have to worry about being on one tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think i mentioned it before but by far the worst part of Kashtira was the fact that it being the best deck forced you to purchase additional copies of extra-deck staples, and since everyone was doing this at once, that made extra-deck stapes extremely expensive

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AFistfulOfBitcoins posted:

It really isn't. Idk what other card games are like, i've heard magic is different in this regard but to me it makes no sense why you would be able to activate a card that wouldnt do anything?
It's pretty uncommon to end up in a situation where it does absolutely nothing. For example, searching your deck ("library") always has the effect of requiring you to shuffle afterwards. There are many reasons you might know what card is on top of your library and therefore due to be drawn next and either want to keep it there or get rid of it. Even in cases where the effect is literally nothing (eg. tapping an already tapped card), paying the cost is doing something, and other effects can trigger off that cost.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also it's more for people who already know the game but there's a good channel of showcasing insane online YGO replays of people trying jank/gimmick decks, and the first one on this video is one of the most deranged things i've seen

i like the chat's delayed realization what the implications of both players having Appropriate set means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yLhCbaJX8

lol this rules

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Can't believe this abomination hasn't been posted yet:

This might seem like a joke, but it's one of the most obnoxious cards in Yu-Gi-Oh. It's currently banned in the western format, but legal in Japan and on Master Duel. The most important problem is that its effect to re-summon itself from the graveyard has no restrictions on how often you can use it. As long as you have seven cards to banish, you can keep bringing it back. This means that it's very easy to use it as fodder to summon bigger monsters. You can also activate the ability again in response to your opponent trying to negate it.

And then there's its effect when it does get summoned. As mentioned earlier in the thread, a lot of the game these days revolves around summoning monsters from the Extra Deck. Through a quirk in the rules, you basically can't use a monster that's face-down for any kind fo extra deck summoning, besides fusion summoning. That means it's very easy for this card both to help you build a very strong board on your own turn, then stopping your opponent from doing the same on theirs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
self-mill decks completely taking over the format, didn't that also happen in MTG at some point lol

Feels Villeneuve has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Dec 13, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

elf help book posted:

lol this rules

this first replay is one of the funniest things i've seen on that channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrjiCLMoRGM

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lmao the ending of it is perfect

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
an informal local tournament i was at last week usually splits a new set of booster packs for prizing, but they ran out, so we used one of the reprints of the first five sets they did for the 25th anniversary, and how did they think this card was ok to print

if you're wondering there is no mechanic in the game that can protect your LP from this effect

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Hearthstone, being online only, allows for some interesting things to happen. This post is not about those things.

So we start with Brann. Brann doubles things, pretty self explanatory:

You play Nellie after Brann you get double the extra pirates:

This would all be well and good, HOWEVER, there was briefly a bug where using Brann to double Nellie would crash your opponent's game and buy you time while they had to frantically reload. In a meta overrun with Pirates. Even people who weren't doing it to be dicks were doing it left and right.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

an informal local tournament i was at last week usually splits a new set of booster packs for prizing, but they ran out, so we used one of the reprints of the first five sets they did for the 25th anniversary, and how did they think this card was ok to print

if you're wondering there is no mechanic in the game that can protect your LP from this effect

Are there any easy ways to increase the opponent's life points?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Feels Villeneuve posted:

So does this end the game in a draw, or do you only lose when you take damage after hitting 0, or what? It reads like it's the card equivalent of saying "Whatever, this game is stupid" and walking away from the table.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

AFistfulOfBitcoins posted:

It really isn't. Idk what other card games are like, i've heard magic is different in this regard but to me it makes no sense why you would be able to activate a card that wouldnt do anything? Like its just a basic premise of yugioh and you most certainly wont get a judge called on you. Only the biggest dweeb on the planet would call a judge. You'd search, realise you cant resolve it and go 'oh cant resolve it sorry' and just go back to before you played it. I've been to various levels of tournament from small locals to 3000+ player tournaments, calling a judge on a simple mistake like that would be ridiculous. Another thing to remember is yugioh decks are 40-60 cards, usually 40 for consistency reasons. It isnt that hard to remember what you have left, especially when often you're playing 3 copies of a card.

For an example that's both current and not (old cards, but they just got ported into Arena as part of an effort to bring cards from the back catalog into their primary online version).

Brainstorm is a middling card. At the end of the effect you haven't gotten any card advantage (the card draws one more than you have to put back, but you're also spending a card to get the effect), so only useful for the chance to "structure" your upcoming draws, maybe find the card you were looking for this turn.

But say we combine that with a Search effect?

Flooded Strand lets you search your deck for a specific kind of land. Whenever you search your deck, you reshuffle it to avoid having knowledge of your upcoming draws. If you do this after Brainstorm, you've traded out the worst 2 cards of your hand for 3 new draws (better, actually, since you draw first), all for the bargain basement cost of a single mana and single card. After you trade out your bad cards, shuffle them away through a search effect. Brainstorm is a card that you don't play unless your deck has ready access to a "Shuffle" effect, but becomes great if you can shuffle. Other common reasons to want the shuffle are the multitude of effects that let you peak at the top of your deck. Don't like what you see? Trigger a timely shuffle.

Now you would, in general, also want to grab the land while you were in there shuffling. If you for some reason didn't have a qualifying land left in your deck (say the game has gone long and you've already drawn them), you can still get your draw 3 Brainstorm or other benefit from the shuffle. And even if you could fulfill the search successfully, a player can always declare that they "Fail to Find" as a legal game action, even if that is lying by normal use of the phrase. You might see this in the rare case where other game effects make pulling the object of a Search out of the deck actively bad for the controlling player.

As it currently stands, Magic also couldn't easily make it illegal to activate this effect if it can't be performed successfully. Just off the top of my head, there are effects that will remove (Exile) cards from a player's deck *face down,* where the identity of that card is unknown to one or both players. A player could reasonably expect to successfully Search for a card in their deck, only to find its one of the face down cards that's already been removed.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The rule "search" has always implied that you don't have to search well. It's not "find"

I seem to recall that reasoning was even in an official explanation

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Targeted effects with no valid targets can't be played at all, though

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
In Magic, that only applies if the search has some kind of constraint on what you're searching for. For example, if a card instructs you to search for a land, you're allowed to say "nope, couldn't find one", even if it's obvious that you probably do have lands in your deck, because your opponent isn't allowed to look at your deck to actually check. If a card instructs you to just search for *any* card, you do actually have to find one, because your opponent knows if you have any cards in your deck to find or not. It's kind of a weird rule that basically never comes up.

But, there are some weird implications of that rule. There are a few cards in Magic that allow you to control your opponent during their turn. You can use their conditional tutor effects and then fail to find, essentially wasting them, but if you have an unconditional tutor, the best you can do is tutor up a particularly useless card.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PharmerBoy posted:

And even if you could fulfill the search successfully, a player can always declare that they "Fail to Find" as a legal game action, even if that is lying by normal use of the phrase. You might see this in the rare case where other game effects make pulling the object of a Search out of the deck actively bad for the controlling player.

Step 1: set up both your enchantments
Step 2: play Selective Memory to remove everything that isn't a Forest from your deck
Step 3: every time the opponent attacks, Lost in the Woods reveals your top card which is guaranteed to be a Forest, canceling that attack
Step 4: on your upkeep step you search your deck for a basic land, announce that you can't find any basic lands, and skip your draw step

If the opponent can't destroy your enchantments, doesn't have a way to prevent getting milled, and doesn't have a non-combat win condition then you win. Which is a pretty niche win condition for you but you do get to enjoy telling the opponent that you can't find any basic lands in your deck in between nullifying their attacks by revealing Forests.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

the holy poopacy posted:

Step 1: set up both your enchantments
Step 2: play Selective Memory to remove everything that isn't a Forest from your deck
Step 3: every time the opponent attacks, Lost in the Woods reveals your top card which is guaranteed to be a Forest, canceling that attack
Step 4: on your upkeep step you search your deck for a basic land, announce that you can't find any basic lands, and skip your draw step

If the opponent can't destroy your enchantments, doesn't have a way to prevent getting milled, and doesn't have a non-combat win condition then you win. Which is a pretty niche win condition for you but you do get to enjoy telling the opponent that you can't find any basic lands in your deck in between nullifying their attacks by revealing Forests.

this is exactly why i follow this thread

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

lmao, I haven't seen that one before. It's extremely good

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I long stopped playing tcgs and my mental health is better for it, but part of me really enjoys reading threads like these. Makes me glad I'm not on the receiving end of such brutality.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
It kinda seems like blatantly lying would be a reasonable thing to call a judge for. like for this last combo of "oh, I didn't find a forest in my deck that I made into all forest" seems like it would violate the trust of fair play if you kept saying "no couldn't ind a land" and every time they attack wipes their critters due to the next card being a forest.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
You can call a judge, but fail to find is in fact explicitly a rule

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There's no judge call to make, it's explicitly legal. WotC was not interested in potentially requiring a judge to watch over every search interaction, so failure to find is always legal provided that 1) the search has parameters that can conceivably fail and 2) the search is in an area that's technically hidden.

(Bear in mind that this was like some guy's silly theorycraft and not a serious deck that ever saw play. It's basically a thought experiment in how to engineer the most absurd results from the fail to find rules, actual examples of play are going to be far less egregious although you can still e.g. sandbag the fact that your deck might still have specific counters.)

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Dec 14, 2023

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Sudsygoat posted:

It kinda seems like blatantly lying would be a reasonable thing to call a judge for. like for this last combo of "oh, I didn't find a forest in my deck that I made into all forest" seems like it would violate the trust of fair play if you kept saying "no couldn't ind a land" and every time they attack wipes their critters due to the next card being a forest.

The problem is that it's difficult to draw the line for that.

Are you going to say players aren't allowed to lie? How would that work in practice? Your opponent is allowed to call you a liar and then a judge has to come look at your deck to see whether or not you're lying?

Is the rule going to be that if it's known that a card exists in the deck, you must find it? That has problems with keeping track of information. What if a Forest is revealed and then put on the bottom of the deck 7 turns prior. Do you remember whether or not the deck has been shuffled since then? If so, the forest might have been shuffled to the top and then drawn in the intermediate turns, and is thus no longer in the deck. What if that player *did* have a Forest in their hand and played it. Maybe they drew a different one. Maybe they drew the one that was revealed, but then shuffled. It's just too difficult to require players to keep track of this stuff.

The easiest solution is to just allow "failing to find" cards. And there aren't really any downsides. It's not really "lying" if that's a choice you're allowed to make according to the rules.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Phthisis posted:

The problem is that it's difficult to draw the line for that.
Yu-gi-oh apparently has some crazy rules about not being allowed to bluff in particular ways like that. This tweet came up on discord a while back and a bunch of people were defending it but it sounds completely arbitrary and dumb to me.
https://twitter.com/mtfujiofficial1/status/1724513496661156239

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Didn't a mtg guy get to finals with a deck that couldn't possibly win purely through bluffing

Like, the meta was some combo that involved searching and shiffling your deck each time for each piece but once you started it was guaranteed to succeed on your turn, slowly.

He realized that everyone conceded once the shuffle procedure started, so he didn't actually need the payload cards, and could dedicate his deck to looking like he had started the combo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The fail to find thing not existing would make opposition agent pretty much worthless

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lol thank you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tiggum posted:

Yu-gi-oh apparently has some crazy rules about not being allowed to bluff in particular ways like that. This tweet came up on discord a while back and a bunch of people were defending it but it sounds completely arbitrary and dumb to me.
https://twitter.com/mtfujiofficial1/status/1724513496661156239

What is specifically prohibited is asking for private information, revealing private information, and lying about private information.

In practice private information sometimes gets revealed - if you have no interruptions during your opponent's turn, and they keep asking if you have a response after every action, it's not uncommon in informal events to be like "i have no response this phase", but you really shouldn't do this in more serious events.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Feels Villeneuve posted:

:psyduck: did...did the opponent trash the streamer's entire deck then blow up his hand?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What is specifically prohibited is asking for private information, revealing private information, and lying about private information.
How do you ever draw an objective line between "lying about private information" and "bluffing" though? I've never played yu-gi-oh and don't know how it works so I'll use a mtg example: If I attack with a creature that will obviously die if you block it, with lands untapped and cards in hand, I don't have to say a word; I'm very clearly letting you know that I have something planned to make you regret blocking it. But I could be lying. Is that against the rules in yu-gi-oh? Or is it only if I say the words "if you block my creature I will cast a spell that I have in my hand that will make you regret doing so"? Or do I have to name a card? How can you possibly ban lying without banning bluffing? And obviously you can't ban bluffing because the existence of hidden information means bluffing is going to happen even if no one does it intentionally.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one difference in the two games philosophies on judge rulings seems to be that MTG places a lot of emphasis on consistency, while the YGO rules are looser and give judges more leeway to use their own judgment on what constitutes being unsporting, at the cost of not being totally consistent between judges

if you've ever dealt with stuff like community rules/moderation this is a debate you'll probably be familiar with lol.

incidentally the thing that set this off was a guy getting disqualified for visibly having tokens on the field for a deck that he wasn't playing. this would never have gotten a penalty under normal circumstances, because people use the "wrong" tokens all the time, except that he recorded a video after the event explicitly saying he was doing so to get people to think he was running a different deck, and if you record a video and publish a video of yourself online saying "I broke the rules intentionally", you are probably going to get a penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:psyduck: did...did the opponent trash the streamer's entire deck then blow up his hand?

To explain what happened in layman's terms:

The card the player sets is Magical Merchant. When the opponent attacks it it's flipped face up, and the flip effect activates. The player reveals cards from their deck until they reveal a spell/trap card, and sends the rest to the graveyard. The player is only playing one spell/trap card, Raging Mad Plants. The rest of the cards are all Plant monsters that get sent to the graveyard, where they have effects they can activate. They mill a few more cards through other effects, but one particular card (Sylvan Guardioak) puts one of the cards back in the deck.

Like most TCGs, Yu-Gi-Oh has a rule that says that whenever you have to draw a card but can't, you automatically lose the game. Guardioak is in the game to prevent that from happening. The idea is that on the player's next turn, they build up a board, then use Raging Mad Plants to kill their opponent, since that card gives your monsters an attack boost based on the number of Plant monsters in the graveyard.

The card the opponent activates after all this resolves is Card Destruction. It's a card that basically reads 'each player discards their hand, then draws that many cards'. Since the player had five cards in hand but only one card in deck, they automatically lost.