Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was alive in 1993 but I have very few memories. What was the food like? What was the music like? What sort of TV were people watching? Big movies? Big news stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I watched Ren and Stimpy on Sundays

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I definitely remember going to see Jurassic Park and how crazy popular that was but it was definitely a summer hit not something talked about on the playground

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Mcdonalds was really really cheap OP

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MTV played actual music and it wasn't reality television shows.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Lots of playing the shareware version of Doom, and then getting it by the end of the year.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I think I went to Sizzler in 1993, also. I read a lot of Roald Dahl books. I'm still struggling to remember what America or the world was like then.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
I remember Creepy Crawlers and Ninja Turtles

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Good Sphere posted:

Lots of playing the shareware version of Doom, and then getting it by the end of the year.

Forgot about this, thank you. I was a big Doomhead but don't remember when exactly. I know I had the shareware diskettes from a friend

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The music was mostly Michael Jackson

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

A lot of the movies that came out in 1993 were loving incredible instant classics and seeing Jurassic Park in theater was something young me won't forget.

Schindlers List, Jurassic Park, Falling Down, The Fugitive, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Last Action Hero, Nightmare Before Christmas and so on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I think 1993 I was still reading all the Dahl books and it was before Goosebumps came down, followed by Animorphs. I'm definitely fuzzy on the chronology though

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

The music was mostly Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson was done but I believe Janet Jackson had hits in 93

Dec 5, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEtqFWKKbbM

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
fukkin rad

lolman
Jan 7, 2023

a real newbie

bossy lady posted:

true

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grunge and flannel as far as the eye could see

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Everybody went to the pub
Tons of cheap speed
Twin peaks maybe?

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
1993 in the playground, northern england:

- sheffield steelers (the sheffield ice hockey team. except nobody from sheffield knew what the gently caress ice hockey is so they're all canadian)
- hulk hogan
- mini boglins and/or monster in my pocket
- getting lego technic models for christmas and my birthday was the event of the year
- the first time i ever saw doctor who on tv. it was a special (dimensions in time) on children in need and you had to wear novelty 3D glasses. it was some crossover with the soap opera eastenders and i had no idea what was happening throughout and it was poo poo
- mother loving power rangers. at school they told us we weren't allowed to "play power rangers" because we didn't have professional martial arts training so it was unsafe for us to kick each other. we kicked each other all the time before power rangers ever came out so it was confusing
- meat loaf (i would do anything for love) and whitney houston (i will always love you) were both number 1 for very long periods of time and we got sick of them
- nigel mansell disappeared from formula 1 (we all watched formula 1 every saturday because that's all there was)
- the oil tanker spill in the shetland islands
- teenage mutant hero turtles (not ninja turtles. in britain they couldn't refer to them as ninjas and they edit out all occurences of nunchucks because there was a moral panic at the time)
- mr blobby is no. 1. come back whitney houston all is forgiven

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3pRrMz_Uqk

Risky
May 18, 2003

Cute alternative chicks in high school, nobody on cell phones, nick-toons, renting super nintendo games on the weekends.

1993 was the best year.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i did actually witness someone do gang violence irl with nunchucks, many years later in 2002, in the park across the road from college. the perpetrator looked around the right kind of age to have watched ninja turtles as a kid so i guess that's a lesson that censorship never works

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The world waited with bated breath for Sega Channel, the forefather of Xbox Games Pass, to be released

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

- mother loving power rangers. at school they told us we weren't allowed to "play power rangers" because we didn't have professional martial arts training so it was unsafe for us to kick each other. we kicked each other all the time before power rangers ever came out so it was confusing

I'm surprised. Where I went to school, Power Rangers was shitlisted as a dumb little kids' show akin to Barney the Purple Dinosaur. 9 year old me couldn't be caught dead watching it, much less pantomiming it at the playground. TMNT was cool, Sonic and Mario were cool, Goosebumps was cool, Power Rangers way uncool.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Looney tunes were pretty big. Your favorite character defined you as a person back then.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Set this to 1993 and enjoy: https://www.my90stv.com/

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

remigious posted:

Looney tunes were pretty big. Your favorite character defined you as a person back then.

Ankle Taz tats

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

bossy lady posted:

fastfood was insanely cheap i remember going to mcdonalds and getting a literal halloween trick or treat bucket of fries and like 10 cheese burgers for like 8 bucks because they had some special deal going on that day but those deals would happen once a week

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Things were still really yellow

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

Things were still really yellow

God, so it wasn't just me, huh?

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
It was 2 years before Post Malone was born and we all knew it. The sense of dread was as oppressive as NAFTA.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

i was 5 years old and saw jurassic park in theater and it was the coolest

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4hShMEk1Ew

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

You remember 1994 op? It was like that with slightly worse graphics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Being able to stay up late means you could watch Conan.
Simpsons was always good
begging your dad for 20bux so you could buy the new Nirvana album
If you were parts of Canada, guaranteed finest erotic films europe has to offer on the French Channel.
Make sure you watch SNL because you won't get what everyone on monday wil be quoting!

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

snergle posted:

fastfood was insanely cheap i remember going to mcdonalds and getting a literal halloween trick or treat bucket of fries and like 10 cheese burgers for like 8 bucks because they had some special deal going on that day but those deals would happen once a week

I still have my trick or treat bucket somewhere in my mom's house :unsmith:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Those Doctor Dreadful make-your-own candies tasted like rear end

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Monster trucks were pretty sweet. Gravediggers headlights would change colors :rock:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why can't we all just get along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hi, kids, we're home early...