Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I had my first "real" job after college in 93. It turned into this big deal but it didn't start like that, I was an Admin Assistant to this Russian lady who was a total fraud.

Before the internet, I was done with my work duties with weeks left to go in the accounting month, and I tried to read a book but she said I couldn't. I smoked, a lot. I drank a lot of coffee. And sat at my desk fooling around with Lotus 1-2-3 and doodling. Writing stories. Poems. Bored out of my mind! Time has never moved slower than clocking in at 8:30 with a full day of nothing to do but sit at a desk and look busy I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Robo Reagan posted:

i was born in 1993 and tbh its been pretty much downhill for me since then

Same for us

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Karl Hungus posted:

We had a ~30' curly cord between the wall phone and handset. It curled like 3 times upon itself but reached from the central kitchen to the family room, dinning room, and the living room. It was constant hazard.

As an Australian watching lots of US television the ultra long phone cord was a real funny thing.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
In 1993 I inherited my dad's Wyse 386 16MHz PC. He paid $8K for it only a few years prior. It had 4 megabytes of RAM on two full-length cards, with a local 32-bit memory bus to the microprocessor board.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

redshirt posted:

Time has never moved slower than clocking in at 8:30 with a full day of nothing to do but sit at a desk and look busy I guess.

You didn't even have Chip's Challenge?

https://archive.org/details/chips_challenge_windows_3.x

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol I remember that. No, it was a closed system, there was no outside internet except for research purposes (which I had).

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I was playing Wolfenstein 3D, Jill of the Jungle, Cosmo, Prince of Persia 1 and 2, Stunts, SkiFree, Klotski, Pipe Dream, Rodent's Revenge, JezzBall

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
Working at a York's steak house and driving a 1984 VW Rabbit GTi, but the drivers door wouldn't lock. I wasn't aware of a single internet conspiracy and I didn't even know what Doom House was. :(

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My first job was in 93 as a teenager. I was a pricing guy at ShopKo. If something changed prices, like ties went up 3 cents or whatever, I'd be out there with the sticker gun. When a new ad came out, I walked the ad with a price scanner checking the prices. When sale signs needed to be printed, I was printing them. I basically worked by myself and occasionally had to help customers who caught me before I was able to run away. When those Major League Baseball figures came out, I always had old dudes show up looking for me so I could go get the boxes of them in the back and let them go through them and take the rare ones. They gave me a lot of loving money to do that. It was the most chill job ever, and I miss it from time to time.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 19, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

Time has never moved slower than clocking in at 8:30 with a full day of nothing to do but sit at a desk and look busy I guess.

back those days a lot of computer games, especially by Sierra, had something called a "boss key". you'd hit control-B and it would pull up a a fake spreadsheet. you could have been playing Space Quest 4!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The_Franz posted:

Bronson Pinchot eventually wound up playing a French hairdresser on a later season of Step by Step.
Bronson replaced Sasha Mitchell (who played the Keanu-esque fun cousin or whatever) because Valley Boy decided to beat the poo poo out of his wife and got written the gently caress out of the series.

It was not only surprising to see Pinchot on TV again, but see him look loving jakked compared to the "manly" dudes in the show.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Plastic Pal posted:

Wow, haven't thought about the bbs days in ages. Nutter Butter Bar, Roland's Castle, Place of Magic all down in North County California. They'd all meet monthly at the Escondido Farrell's or San Marcos Acapulco. Great days man. I miss Tradewars.

God drat that's a flashback.

I lived in Encinitas in 1993.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

back those days a lot of computer games, especially by Sierra, had something called a "boss key". you'd hit control-B and it would pull up a a fake spreadsheet. you could have been playing Space Quest 4!

lol thank you man! But I could not have. My desk was pretty open and plenty could see my screen, no way I could have played a game unless it looked like a 1-2-3 spreadsheet.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Shout outs to Communication Breakdown, Crescent Star Appropriations, Joe's Bar and Grill, Rivendell, Stormbringer, and other BBSes in the Western Mass scene which featured Trade Wars 2002 and Legend of the Red Dragon in their door games

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I worked various temp jobs at data entry.

Just entering the numbers, over and over and over.... and?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Howard Beale posted:

Legend of the Red Dragon

Is that the one where at the end of a session you could sleep in the city for money, or camp in the countryside for free, but people could mug you?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

I worked various temp jobs at data entry.

Just entering the numbers, over and over and over.... and?

yea i was a data entry clerk as a teenager at a small lovely telemarketing firm and then i "graduated" to getting on the phones which was so much worse (and one of those bullshit moves that was described as a "promotion" but didnt involve an actual raise or anything). shouldve just stayed with the data at least i could listen to music while i worked

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

yea i was a data entry clerk as a teenager at a small lovely telemarketing firm and then i "graduated" to getting on the phones which was so much worse (and one of those bullshit moves that was described as a "promotion" but didnt involve an actual raise or anything). shouldve just stayed with the data at least i could listen to music while i worked

Could still be data entry...

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cactus Ghost posted:

sounds like everything is better now
My wife and kid play Minecraft. I've never touched it.

A month ago my kid:s friend came over. After they got bored co-oping games on our Switch, the friend got out his iPad and asked my son to join his world from the Switch. They looked at me for help and before I could respond "thats probably not possible", my wife swoops in and links them up.

That would have been black magic in 1993. I recall for the first month, we could get a good few hours out of DOOM before someone's machine crashed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I worked at the big healthcare company, and I was shocked in 1993 at the numbers I was typing: List price 2.25 sell price 12.25 pharmacy price 25$

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Going out for the day and making sure you had like a buck or two in change for random poo poo. Pay phone, vending machines, or for just buying poo poo at the store and not getting even more change. Every house had a change jar or dish somewhere by like the front door or people had them by their dresser or something.

Mailing poo poo all the time. Mostly bills, or going to the utilities office or the Cablevision (remember those fuckers?) office to drop off a check for that month or whatever. Hell, writing checks even, seems like I hardly ever used a credit card and I don't think debit cards were even a thing then.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Going out for the day and making sure you had like a buck or two in change for random poo poo. Pay phone, vending machines, or for just buying poo poo at the store and not getting even more change. Every house had a change jar or dish somewhere by like the front door or people had them by their dresser or something.

Mailing poo poo all the time. Mostly bills, or going to the utilities office or the Cablevision (remember those fuckers?) office to drop off a check for that month or whatever. Hell, writing checks even, seems like I hardly ever used a credit card and I don't think debit cards were even a thing then.

"To the SICKOS at Modern Bride Magazine.

SHAME!!! FOR SHAME!!!!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Credit cards stayed hidden away in the drawer except to make a big purchase, which was all you really could use them for, because nobody took cards for smaller purchases outside of mail ordering stuff.

1993 was also the year the phone-book-sized Sears catalog came to an end. Also the phone book was still "phone-book-sized" in 1993.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

In 1993 there were only five Pokemon, and the imperative to catch them all went unheeded by all but the biggest melvins.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I had my first "real" job after college in 93. It turned into this big deal but it didn't start like that, I was an Admin Assistant to this Russian lady who was a total fraud.

Before the internet, I was done with my work duties with weeks left to go in the accounting month, and I tried to read a book but she said I couldn't. I smoked, a lot. I drank a lot of coffee. And sat at my desk fooling around with Lotus 1-2-3 and doodling. Writing stories. Poems. Bored out of my mind! Time has never moved slower than clocking in at 8:30 with a full day of nothing to do but sit at a desk and look busy I guess.

gently caress you are old. I was 10 at 1993. I thought Mario and Sonic were cool

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress you are old. I was 10 at 1993. I thought Mario and Sonic were cool

Indeed. I was already a failure.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Indeed. I was already a failure.

happens to the best of us

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

happens to the best of us

It happened for the best of us.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Random memory from right around that time: My dad was explaining millions and billions. He told me how a millionaire would fly in a helicopter up the Hutt valley when he lived in Wellington. I asked him if there were any billionaires in New Zealand. He laughed and told me that there was no-one that rich living here.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Random memory from right around that time: My dad was explaining millions and billions. He told me how a millionaire would fly in a helicopter up the Hutt valley when he lived in Wellington. I asked him if there were any billionaires in New Zealand. He laughed and told me that there was no-one that rich living here.

It was a pre LOTR New Zealand, can you imagine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redshirt posted:

It was a pre LOTR New Zealand, can you imagine.

It probably was a pretty great place

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

yeah it was alright, i guess a mix of up to the minute (music arrived pretty quick) and behind the times (2 government and one brand new commercial TV channels)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Mary Jane's Last Dance was a big hit for Tom Petty in 1993.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

A Strange Aeon posted:

Mary Jane's Last Dance was a big hit for Tom Petty in 1993.

hell yeah it was. Same year as Jeremy and That Metallica song. All had good videos

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
While hair metal acts would continue for quite a while in the 90s, the arrival of new purely hair metal acts seems like it comes to a complete halt by 1993. Some acts might emerge into mainstream popularity as more goth, industrial, bluesy, grunge, post-grunge, numetal, hard rock, alt, or even glam-oriented, but the 'let's go party in cut off shirts and bang chicks on motorcycles' vibe of hair metal no longer seemed to produce new stars by this time.

I think maybe the last one of any note might be Roxy Blue from late 1992. They weren't even a victim of Nirvana/grunge, as that damage had well been done to the music scene over a year earlier. Instead, that whole first album of theirs feels like the production was intentionally trying to evoke as much of the last 5-6 years of hair metal in hopes of reigniting the popularity of the genre, but didn't. A band doomed before they even got signed.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

lifg posted:

Is that the one where at the end of a session you could sleep in the city for money, or camp in the countryside for free, but people could mug you?

Yeah, though people could still try to break into your room at the inn.

The most 1993 part of the game was the easter egg which asked you to describe Jennie Garth from 90210 and you got extra fights if you called her sexy or booted from the game if you said ugly.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

While hair metal acts would continue for quite a while in the 90s, the arrival of new purely hair metal acts seems like it comes to a complete halt by 1993. Some acts might emerge into mainstream popularity as more goth, industrial, bluesy, grunge, post-grunge, numetal, hard rock, alt, or even glam-oriented, but the 'let's go party in cut off shirts and bang chicks on motorcycles' vibe of hair metal no longer seemed to produce new stars by this time.

I think maybe the last one of any note might be Roxy Blue from late 1992. They weren't even a victim of Nirvana/grunge, as that damage had well been done to the music scene over a year earlier. Instead, that whole first album of theirs feels like the production was intentionally trying to evoke as much of the last 5-6 years of hair metal in hopes of reigniting the popularity of the genre, but didn't. A band doomed before they even got signed.

That was the best thing about Grunge, IMO, killing the ridiculous hair and makeup act of a lot of hard rock.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's from 1991, but as an example for you young folks of how the vibe changed in the late 80's/early 90's

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyYMzEplnfU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

hell yeah it was. Same year as Jeremy and That Metallica song. All had good videos

I still remember RHCP 'Soul to Squeeze" from the Coneheads movie & AC/DC 'Big Gun' from Last Action Hero. Man I miss being 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

In 1993 I graduated from art school in NYC. My crusty hardcore band broke up and I started making noise, I was hanging out with graffiti writers and drinking too much and being dumb and chaotic but hadn’t yet faced any repercussions, I had a super flexible job that let me come in late and all my dysfunctional friends worked there too, I had a very cheap low-income apartment on a cool block in the east village, I was buying lots of bad weed from Jamaican stores, and best of all my friends all lived nearby.

I really miss being in a neighborhood where I could hang out with lots of friends who lived as close as that. Life is good but everyone has spread out, making it a lot harder to just hang out spending casual time together.

Oh also I was illustrating a book of Buddhist children’s stories. And spending too much time being sad about my broken family. There was a lot going on back then.

But I guess I’d say that 1993 felt like there was no law, anything goes, the city was really violent and a little scary but a ton of fun to get immersed in.