Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Fewer kids were declaring they were warlocks and wearing pentagrams.

Oh, I'm SORRY! I'm being stupid. That's a PENTACLE! I should have realized it since it radiated REAL Satanic power not that McDonald's sort of Satanism everyone else was into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Snowy posted:

In 1993 I graduated from art school in NYC. My crusty hardcore band broke up and I started making noise, I was hanging out with graffiti writers and drinking too much and being dumb and chaotic but hadn’t yet faced any repercussions, I had a super flexible job that let me come in late and all my dysfunctional friends worked there too, I had a very cheap low-income apartment on a cool block in the east village, I was buying lots of bad weed from Jamaican stores, and best of all my friends all lived nearby.

I really miss being in a neighborhood where I could hang out with lots of friends who lived as close as that. Life is good but everyone has spread out, making it a lot harder to just hang out spending casual time together.

Oh also I was illustrating a book of Buddhist children’s stories. And spending too much time being sad about my broken family. There was a lot going on back then.

But I guess I’d say that 1993 felt like there was no law, anything goes, the city was really violent and a little scary but a ton of fun to get immersed in.
Goodness, are you me? I was in NYC in 1993, I like to think we crossed paths somehow, you seem wicked cool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How big do you guys think the goatman was stretching his rear end in 1993?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
1993 you could watch footage of NYC on Law and Order and cops complaining about Times Square being a den of whores and pimps and johns and junkies.

10 years later, it was the cops complaining about Disney and Starbucks taking over.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Sinbad and Margaret Cho would fly highest around this time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

1993 you could watch footage of NYC on Law and Order and cops complaining about Times Square being a den of whores and pimps and johns and junkies.

10 years later, it was the cops complaining about Disney and Starbucks taking over.

I got mugged and/or robbed on my first 3 visits to NYC. I figured it was like a tax.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

redshirt posted:

Goodness, are you me? I was in NYC in 1993, I like to think we crossed paths somehow, you seem wicked cool.

I can’t say for sure but I don’t think we’re the same person, though you’re welcome to inhabit this body with me.

Early-late 90s were my most social years by far so who knows, it would be very cool if we met. If you come back to the city let’s meet up :3: I’m boring compared to back then but I’m trying to survive, which I couldn’t say about a lot of the people I hung out with back then.

I’ll let you play with my early 90s era crack vial and drug baggie collection which I hopefully didn’t already post itt

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

1993: You wish times square had superheroes to save you
2023: Times square is full of superheroes who will shake you down for money if you get too close

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Snowy posted:

I can’t say for sure but I don’t think we’re the same person, though you’re welcome to inhabit this body with me.

Early-late 90s were my most social years by far so who knows, it would be very cool if we met. If you come back to the city let’s meet up :3: I’m boring compared to back then but I’m trying to survive, which I couldn’t say about a lot of the people I hung out with back then.

I’ll let you play with my early 90s era crack vial and drug baggie collection which I hopefully didn’t already post itt

lol it's like crack skittles

I am too boring now too, let me look at my 6 month schedule...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Calling 411 for addresses and phone numbers.

Also, you could buy CD-Roms of nothing but all the phone book listings in the US.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Calling 411 for addresses and phone numbers.

Also, you could buy CD-Roms of nothing but all the phone book listings in the US.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
gently caress, I looked up the release date of Star Fox because I remember I got it.

Starfox came out in February and it was super expensive. For someone that relied on birthday money plus meek allowance as only income, that 65$ always seemed out of reach.

Then I heard someone playing a lot of Street Fighter at the pizza/bar. Like a lot. He was selling a ton of used games to get his SF fix. I rode in and he standing in a parking lot and I asked if he was selling Star Fox. "Yah, $20".

It was June/July and Starfox still had not come down in price. So I loving booked it back home to get the $20. I had to get $5 from my brother to make up for what I was missing which was instantly given when I told him what I was getting.

Went back to the direct parking lot and got just the cartridge. No box, no manual , no cart cover but did not care. And who actually gave a gently caress about the cartridge cover. The second taking it off and then a few seconds to put it back on meant that much time not playing

Where it went down in July 1993
https://maps.app.goo.gl/PuJRdnceTBAgpetn8

There was a smaller bar back there but I guess I removed it but I do def remember the convenience store nearby which we called Swami's when it was def not called that. The guy at the register was bored one day and tapped the register to get through the X-Men arcade with the three monitor setup and let kids play for free to act as fodder. I think he was the 30 year old son of the owner so he could get away with it.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 23, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcnB-edITiU

"Let's make "Hot For Teacher", but make it about the students, instead."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We just put bread in toasters and depressed the toasting button, like our ancestors before us.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

We had to carry a few quarters with us everywhere in 1993? Why?

Pay phones.

Just in case, y’know.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

We had to carry a few quarters with us everywhere in 1993? Why?

Pay phones.

Just in case, y’know.

Quarters?? Wasn't it dimes?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

redshirt posted:

We just put bread in toasters and depressed the toasting button, like our ancestors before us.

Toasters went down the wrong path. A toaster from the 1940s toasted without timers and instead the temperature of the actual toast via bimetallic strip.

When the bread got to a certain temperature, it would release the (now) toast up.

Since it uses temperature and not time, you can put frozen slices of bread and it will still come out perfectly toasted.

https://youtu.be/bLk1cjZ4ll0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redshirt posted:

That was the best thing about Grunge, IMO, killing the ridiculous hair and makeup act of a lot of hard rock.

Why? Rock was a lot better when it was a little more flamboyant.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Quarters?? Wasn't it dimes?

Google tells me pay phone rates were a dime from the late-‘60s to the early-‘80s, then it was a quarter until the rise of cell phones in the early-‘00s where it became 50 cents. It was always a quarter for me in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

When I think of a dime payphone, I think of the song “Operator” by Jim Croce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qgnGH6Rg-E

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

redshirt posted:

I am too boring now too, let me look at my 6 month schedule...

I’ll be here! Either way, hello fellow old person who was in nyc at a fun time! :respek:

Here’s a picture of me that I’m pretty sure is from 93. It’s in Williamsburg Brooklyn, right in front of my job in a filthy old warehouse building that’s now full of incredibly expensive lofts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Truly it was a paradise

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Snowy posted:

I’ll be here! Either way, hello fellow old person who was in nyc at a fun time! :respek:

Here’s a picture of me that I’m pretty sure is from 93. It’s in Williamsburg Brooklyn, right in front of my job in a filthy old warehouse building that’s now full of incredibly expensive lofts.

loving A! Radical!

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
https://youtu.be/BeQIWYIUhkU?si=1mKt8aVCqFeKiKWX

You may chuckle at this peak-90s-ness, but the Fly Girls were *the* thing that popularized hip-hop dancing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chicken Butt posted:

https://youtu.be/BeQIWYIUhkU?si=1mKt8aVCqFeKiKWX

You may chuckle at this peak-90s-ness, but the Fly Girls were *the* thing that popularized hip-hop dancing.

J-Lo's butt.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Every 1993 episode of The Computer Chronicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzwOwzGtiZw

I was 10 and was very much into computing rather than music. It took me two years to start discovering music other than what my dad put on in the car.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxSP8qqugcU
my uncle got my dad that game for xmas in '92 and that PC 6300 couldn't even think about running it, which is part of the reason he checked that sweet computer out from work in '93

I played so much of that game, and I spent an equal amount of time reading the manual, because the manual of that game is a light history book about WWI military aviation

It's still sitting around in the hard glossy puzzle box it came in, somewhere in my dad's house

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Any final thoughts about 1993?

Reading all these posts in this thread it seems like it was kind of a gray time to be alive.

I also realized that my only clear memory of 1993 is the Phillies losing the World Series in such a brutal way that I hated baseball for the rest of my childhood

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

1993 seemed like the year that would never end, until after 12 long months it finally did

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

1993- I had a sweet pager in a clear case and not a care in the world

Farewell, 93. I squandered you but you were fun

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Reading all these posts in this thread it seems like it was kind of a gray time to be alive.

I also realized that my only clear memory of 1993 is the Phillies losing the World Series in such a brutal way that I hated baseball for the rest of my childhood

I thought it was pretty amazing at the time. The Cold War was over, Bubba was President, Grunge and Rap were awesome new music, maybe it's the nostalgia of youth but things felt optimistic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkoldsdVDLo

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

1993 was the first article about Y2K. "Doomsday 2000" in Computerworld.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

redshirt posted:

I thought it was pretty amazing at the time. The Cold War was over, Bubba was President, Grunge and Rap were awesome new music, maybe it's the nostalgia of youth but things felt optimistic.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

redshirt posted:

Things generally seemed to be improving right up to 9/11 and then the optimism bubble popped.

And when I think of 9/11, and I do think of it, I recall this thing that happened to me on vacation last year. I was in line on the sidewalk for Frank Pepe Pizzeria in New Haven, it was about a half hour wait. And it wasn't even a peak time. Anyway, this older man is in front of me and he's talking to two younger men, maybe nephews or whatever. And in the heaviest, most obnoxious Boston accent you can imagine, he proceeded to tell this story.

"So it was right after 9/11, right? And I'm on the ferry. And I see what I think is a suspicious package. So I'm thinking, you know, I'm on the ferry, it's public transit, suspicious package, we just had 9/11. I'm thinking maybe they're gonna blow up the ferries, dude! So I'm looking around for the cops, thinking there should be extra cops because it's right after 9/11, but there was only one cop on the whole ferry! So I go up to him and I'm like, dude, officer, please, there's a suspicious package. On the ferry. And he's like well what do you want me to do? I'm not the bomb disposal unit, buddy. And I'm like, officer, please, it's right after 9/11. It's a suspicious package, we're on the ferry, could you just... you know, take one for the team? And I guess he figured that if it was a bomb, we were all hosed anyway because we're on the ferry, so he goes and takes a look at it. And it turns out, of course, it was just some kid's backpack, they had their math homework in there.

But you know... It was right after 9/11!"

They still love 9/11 over there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Things generally seemed to be improving right up to 9/11 and then the optimism bubble popped.

And when I think of 9/11, and I do think of it, I recall this thing that happened to me on vacation last year. I was in line on the sidewalk for Frank Pepe Pizzeria in New Haven, it was about a half hour wait. And it wasn't even a peak time. Anyway, this older man is in front of me and he's talking to two younger men, maybe nephews or whatever. And in the heaviest, most obnoxious Boston accent you can imagine, he proceeded to tell this story.

"So it was right after 9/11, right? And I'm on the ferry. And I see what I think is a suspicious package. So I'm thinking, you know, I'm on the ferry, it's public transit, suspicious package, we just had 9/11. I'm thinking maybe they're gonna blow up the ferries, dude! So I'm looking around for the cops, thinking there should be extra cops because it's right after 9/11, but there was only one cop on the whole ferry! So I go up to him and I'm like, dude, officer, please, there's a suspicious package. On the ferry. And he's like well what do you want me to do? I'm not the bomb disposal unit, buddy. And I'm like, officer, please, it's right after 9/11. It's a suspicious package, we're on the ferry, could you just... you know, take one for the team? And I guess he figured that if it was a bomb, we were all hosed anyway because we're on the ferry, so he goes and takes a look at it. And it turns out, of course, it was just some kid's backpack, they had their math homework in there.

9/11 really did change everything, and none of it for the good.

Remember the weird 90's hippy movement? It was pretty big.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Thankfully 1994 is coming, bringing us Donkey Kong Country, Doom 2, Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Major League 2, and the Crime Bill, which will surely solve all societal ills and not just pack prisons full of minorities with prison sentences that are absurdly lengthy relative to the offense.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Animal-Mother posted:

I don’t know if it’s been pointed out yet but 1993 was the year of al qaeda’s first attempt to blow up the World Trade Center, with a truck bomb instead of planes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ralph Hurley posted:

I don’t know if it’s been pointed out yet but 1993 was the year of al qaeda’s first attempt to blow up the World Trade Center, with a truck bomb instead of planes.

"Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade" confuses kids these days.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It is December 31, 1993. I am at First Night. I have a button that lets me get into all the events, but mostly all I do is wander around downtown and look at the ice sculptures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

i mean it depends where you were, but in my circle a lot of people saw the election of W in 2000 as a major catastrophe