Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

MTV played actual music and it wasn't reality television shows.

The morality police church ladies had moved on from the Simpsons, and Beavis and Butthead became the hot new thing that was corrupting the youth.

They could rip on whatever music videos they wanted, because back then, getting your music on MTV, which was the promotional platform, basically meant signing over any and all rights to them in blood.

Also one of the biggest movies of the year was about Robin Williams crossdressing. That was the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

93 was pretty cool as far as years go. Doom came out that year which was awesome. Computers were still interesting rather than just appliances.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Tarkus posted:

93 was pretty cool as far as years go. Doom came out that year which was awesome. Computers were still interesting rather than just appliances.

oh yeah i also remember playing doom shareware for the very first time while eating little caesar's which definitely tasted better back then and wasnt just my imagination

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

Smoking indoors, smoking everywhere. Very cheap cigarettes. An average wage could buy enough of them to fill a swimming pool and swim in it

It's weird to think how desensitized to smoking I was since I was basically in a perpetual cloud of smoke since birth, as my parents smoked in the house, in the car, and basically anywhere they could. When I got to high school, the bathrooms were basically in a perpetual fog, because something like 30% of high school kids smoked.

Now, even if someone smokes outside, the stench on their clothes is extremely noticeable.

I recently read something about how a lot of kids who were frequently "car sick" back when weren't actually sick from the motion of the vehicle, but because they were in a car with two smoking parents and no ventilation, which resulted in nicotine poisoning.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I think '93 was the year we got the SNES. I remember my brother throwing a fit because he'd rather we got a sega. Pretty good year.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Couple of childhood memories from :poland:

- concrete, broken concrete everywhere. even sunny days were gray. everything was dilapidated and rotting, holding together by sticky tape, nylon strings and cardboard. I still am shocked sometimes when I visit my old place and see how nice everything has become, but there are still pockets of old darkness if you know where to look for them.

- horrible, clownish, unfashionable clothes. kids looked like clowns without make-up. everyone dressed at second-hand stores, and those were everywhere. new clothes were a synonym for luxury.

- public drunkennes was socially acceptable.

- you had a very high chance being beaten up by a bald hooligan in ortalion sportswear in the broad daylight. in my town there were no-go streets after dark. it was a fact of life.

- having a family in Germany, France or USA basically meant you had the best stuff in your circle. most of my LEGO sets were brought by my family in Italy, because here the sets were prohibitvely expensive.

- LEGO was the height od every boys' dreams. it was Barbies for girls, or those dolls that you could feed.

- everything "good" was imported. basically if you were importing anything from the West, or you had any kind of contacts, you could become rich very easily. a lot of people did.

- Cartoon Network showed up on cable. Tons of tedious Hanna-Barbera shows. And The Moxy Show lol

- if somebody had a computer, it was nearly certainly a C64, Atari XL, maybe an Amiga. My father bought a PC for his business and only years later I understood how avant-garde this purchase was back then.

basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0vXhwYDfOA

just look at the surroundings.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

In 1993, my sister graduated from college and bought herself a nice 1990 Chrysler LeBaron convertible as a treat. That car was fuckin’ radical and was the first (and to date only) convertible car I ever rode around in (and eventually drove).

But since it was a Chrysler, lol the head gasket blew after five years, but she had it fixed. Then, since it was still a Chrysler, lol it was giving her electrical problems soon thereafter and she traded it in after only owning it for about seven years.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I don't recall 93 because either I was black out drunk all the time or because I was only 2 years old. Hard to say.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
basically just sub "1993" into White Zombie's "1965"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Genesplicer posted:

I had been married since late 1989 (Still am!), and Mystery Science Theater 3000 was our go-to decompression show. We were teachers (Still are!) and that show was a great stress reliever. Lots of laughs.

My wife was born right around when you were married. I don't know why that is going to stick with me but it absolutely will.

Can't comment on 1993 though, wasn't born but it sounds like a real rear end goofball of a year.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HonorableTB posted:

Go to https://my90stv.com and filter by 1993, turn on playlist shuffling and off you go. Works for every year in every decade from 1950-2009

This is cool

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

HonorableTB posted:

Go to https://my90stv.com and filter by 1993, turn on playlist shuffling and off you go. Works for every year in every decade from 1950-2009

this owns

all i remember is i went to legoland billund and to a french monkey zoo. so 1993 was good and bad

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My parents ran a family video store, so I watched a bunch of horror and action movies a 5 year old shouldn't... I think I turned out ok. Also Jurassic Park toys were awesome, they had battle damage. I still have a couple on my nerd wall. Somewhere in my boxes I have the ford explorer with battle damage and with additional little edgar damage. Also freaking micromachines!
Anyway, violence and toys to recreate violence is how I sum up 1993.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
HBO and other premium channels would do free weekends and you could tape hit movies such as Terminator 2: Judgement Day with your VCR and have them on VHS. You could record 6-8 movies in a weekend if you were lucky and vigilant. Most of the movies I had on tape as a kid were from this.

A quick google search shows they still sort of do this but these days it doesn't mean much

20 Blunts posted:

basically just sub "1993" into White Zombie's "1965"

THREE THREE THREE

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I kissed a girl for the first time, that's all I remember.

-m.
Jul 2, 2007
Had the best flannel shirts I ever owned, which is kinda depressing. I wasn't into Grunge tho, big They Might Be Giants fan then. Here's a 120 Minutes archive that's fun to poke around in: https://120minutes.org/1993/
I think that's when we bought our Mac Performa. The car was a Plymouth Grand Voyager. I had a friend on the bus tell me about the message boards he accessed with his Commodore 64, and that's as close to the World Wide Web as I wanted to get.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I miss landlines, in many ways. Obviously a mobile phone has enormous convenience, but it comes at a cost. With the landline, once you left, the phone ceased to exist. In retrospect it seems very nice.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Iirc 1993 was an excellent rock skipping year. Them rocks fuckin bounced

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

That @90sartschool Instagram account
Exactly like that

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

redshirt posted:

I miss landlines, in many ways. Obviously a mobile phone has enormous convenience, but it comes at a cost. With the landline, once you left, the phone ceased to exist. In retrospect it seems very nice.

you can have this in 2023 if you leave your phone at home

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
WrestleMania was really bad that year.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hell if I know! I am in the same boat as the OP here, I was like, 4 maybe 5 years old at the time and didn't have much of a concept of "years", or indeed, of the world at large. I think I remember being taken to the library for storytime and going to the park a lot? Things kind of blend together a lot back that far.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

you can have this in 2023 if you leave your phone at home

It's not the same. Kinda like everyone has to be on the same page. There's no going back.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

GABA ghoul posted:

Smoking indoors, smoking everywhere. Very cheap cigarettes. An average wage could buy enough of them to fill a swimming pool and swim in it

Depends on where you were. Some places were already banning it from restaurants.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

You could just hang out at the airport. You didn't need a ticket or reason to be there or anything. I knew people who used to shop at Philly International.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the Stone Temple Pilots

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I remember going to birthday parties for my cousins and pretty much every one of the adults smoked while they were happening. Like they'd just sit around the table and chain smoke while they talked and it'd just linger.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
It was pretty cool if you were a kid but realistically crime in the US hit historic highs in 92-93 and it was still a recession.

Anyway just check youtube for VHS uploads of TV from that time or home movies. From 1994-1997 it seemed like pop culture shifted into a whole different decade

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I was a space kid and watched the Hubble getting its corrective optics live on NASA TV.

The Bulls were pretty popular.

Rush Limbaugh shot to godawful stardom thanks to his late night TV show and hate boner for the Clintons.

Letterman left NBC and started the Late Show on CBS. That was a big deal for us night owls.

Conan started Late Night.

Also, his Simpsons monorail episode aired.

Deep Space 9 began.

See you in 23 hours, peace!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

je1 healthcare posted:

It was pretty cool if you were a kid but realistically crime in the US hit historic highs in 92-93 and it was still a recession.

Anyway just check youtube for VHS uploads of TV from that time or home movies. From 1994-1997 it seemed like pop culture shifted into a whole different decade

I bitched about the economy all the time as an excuse for my lackadaisical job search. Cuz it was true!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shyduck posted:

You could just hang out at the airport. You didn't need a ticket or reason to be there or anything. I knew people who used to shop at Philly International.

Whenever someone was coming to or going from the airport, we'd go and stop at the candy shop there before meeting or seeing them off at the gate. On the flipside, the airport was ground zero for panhandlers, religious evangelists, and people advertising their politics.

je1 healthcare posted:

Gangs. Gangs everywhere. Every kid was on drugs and in a gang. In fact, your kids are on drugs and in a gang. Tune in and we'll show you how to search their room for the telltale signs. Seriously though, my suburban, white, Catholic grade school had the cops coming in to talk to parents about gangs and how to spot if we were in one.

It was the era of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7g4ZO4jge8

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Someone mentioned Cartoon Network launching in 1992, Comedy Central had just launched in 1991 as well and in most places they'd managed to get them one channel away from each other - so you could flip from comedy to cartoons back to comedy again as the mood struck you. memories of flipping channels one station over when the other would have commercials lol

also Sailor Moon started airing in Japan 1992, after the manga got super popular in 1991. If you ever want to feel really old, just know that Sailor Moon's legit birthdate (so that she could be a teenager in the early 90s) is June 30, 1978

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

shyduck posted:

There was always some huge welcoming party blocking up the exit from the plane. It was really annoying.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I think we got a sega genesis that year so I probably just played a lot of sonic because I was 5

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
We also had Castle of Illusions which is a banger, pretty sure those were the only two games we had for quite awhile

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

A lot like 1992 but not quite like 1994

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Spinz posted:

I was HOT and didn't know it really, thought I was cute at best rarely

Smgdh

you still are

I was in grade 8 and was a total fuckin terrorist.
Failed all three terms of french class. I was hoping to get a 44 for all three but got a 49 in my last term.

My french teacher brought a video camera to class to get me and some friends on tape causing poo poo, and we got a week long in school suspension from french class.
It was supposed to be punishment I guess, but it was a vacation for us. We got sent down to some room near the principal's office and just hung out, talked poo poo and hosed around for the 40 minutes or so that the class was for a week.

It was NOT punishment.

Also got sent down to the office multiple times a week for generally being a smart rear end or causing various amounts of poo poo. Tried smoking for the first time (didn't inhale). Spray painted graffiti on the back of the school, didn't get caught but it wasn't particularly good graffiti, just "mr(teacher) sucks, Mrs. (other teacher) is a bitch" and so on.

Te Simpsons were still good. I'd never seen Beavis and Butthead but my friend who had satellite and could get MTV told me they were way cooler than Ren and Stimpy.
While watching TV, changing channels on commercials always included a stop at much music to see if there was a good video on before flipping to the other show you were watching.
My brother had all the Wolfenstein games which was pretty sweet.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

You couldn't give away an apartment / house in bedford stuyvesant or bushwick.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

GABA ghoul posted:

Came to post this but was beaten. Everything had a tinge of sickly yellow from everyone smoking non-stop everywhere. Nothing made dinner taste better than the rich scent of Marlboro being burned like incense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
lmao rural wisconsin i remember everybody smoking like that up until about 2008