Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hi! You more likely than not know what Mass Effect is, and if you don't, this is going to be very confusing.

To me, Mass Effect is a series of strangely compelling chapters of a kind of derivative space opera. A universe of mostly hard sci-fi that depends on scientific explanations, but leans heavily on pillars of the fantasy genre – doing almost the opposite of Star Wars, in a way. It's a universe of contrasts. On one hand, its story is poorly thought, and many of its characters are goofy archetypes that largely serve to prop up your Jesus harem anime fantasy, but on the other, its art direction is (often) fantastic, immersing you in a wonderful atmosphere of beautiful vistas, great music and fun interactions with characters that grow on you and are wonderfully brought to life by their voice actors.

Ever since the Legendary Edition of the game was released, packaging all three games together and giving them a bit of a glow-up, I've been toying with the idea of doing some kind of Let's Play with it. But I've been wondering how to go about it. For all three of the games, I've done the “play it by ear” playthrough, where I go about the trilogy picking Renegade and Paragon options by whim, and I've done playthroughs of the first two games with one character fully Paragon no matter what, and one character fully Renegade. I've seen other people do an all-neutral playthrough, or for instance striving to get as many characters killed as possible. What's left?

But I've been thinking, even in my all-Renegade playthrough of the games, I still strove to cling to as many characters as possible, getting as many interactions as possible. And if I didn't like an outcome, I generally savescummed my way to get optimal results. I don't think I've actually seen what a partial, incomplete playthrough looks like. For that purpose, I created Tammy Shepard.

Tammy is a screw-up, and a xenophobe. She loves her own human kind, but loathes aliens, and will go out of her way to avoid interacting with them. So much for the power of cooperation saving the galaxy.

As Tammy, I'll try to judge each dilemma while taking in mind her three priorities:
  • 1 – Loyalty to humanity
  • 2 – Disgust w/ aliens
  • 3 – Uncanny instinct for screwing things up
  • 4 – (CLASSIFIED)
Where her priorities conflict, I'll rely on a coin toss to make my judgment.

This might be a terrible idea. I'll be the first to agree with you that the aliens in Mass Effect are way better written and more interesting than the humans. I always shove Ashley and Kaidan on the reserve bench once I've recruited Wrex, Garrus and Tali. And avoiding alien encounters might make this LP comically short. But this isn't a challenge run, I'm just doing a silly gimmick. For instance, off the top of my head, I don't think there's any human vendors for weapons and armor in the game aside from the Alliance Requisitions Officer on the Normandy; I may hold my nose and off screen shop for a few items if things get too dire. My challenge is more to see if I can make this fun to watch.

This LP is a bit out of my usual MO, anyway. Normally I try to show as complete a game experience as possible, for the people who are totally unfamiliar with it. In this one, I'm not only going out of my way to avoid content, I'm also editing the videos to trim as much fat as possible (running around, uninteresting conversation bits, inventory and stats management), while still hopefully maintaining a coherent story. You be the judge, I guess.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've installed a number of mods. Some are for quality of life changes, some are for convenience, some are for cosmetic changes. This will be my first time seeing most of them in action.

Mass Effect mods are roughly divided into regular mods and texture mods. Regular mods can be conveniently installed using ME3Tweaks Mod Manager. This robust mod manager lets you make a backup of your game files, allowing you to easily revert to an unmodded state if things go wrong, lets you load in, modify, enable and disable mods, and even keeps track of when mods are updated on the Nexus. While the installation order can matter with some mods, nothing stops you from installing mod 1, finding out when installing mod 2 that you actually needed to install that one first, and then installing mod 1 again after. There is also a great deal of synergy among Mass Effect mod makers: often you'll find that mods have compatibility notes or options with other popular mods.

Pure texture mods are a little trickier and less pliant than regular mods. They are installed using a tool called MassEffectModder, and while it's simple to use, the pain is that you need to hold off on texture modding until you've installed all your regular mods. When you start installing texture mods, your game gets a “texture modded” status in ME3Tweaks, and at this point the program recommends you don't install or update regular mods without first reverting the game to a vanilla state, to avoid conflicts. So, that means any change to your mod layout means first reverting, then reinstalling all your regular mods, and finally reinstalling your texture mods, every time.

A handful of these weren't installed yet when I started the LP; I added the LE1 Diversification project after the Council meeting, because at the time of recording, it had a conflict with the Saren Stages LE mod, which has since been fixed with updates. I also held off on installing A Lot of Textures/Videos until later videos because those packs are massive and I was a little worried my PC couldn't handle it.

Listed in installation order:

• LE1 Community Patch: A collection of all sorts of fixes for ME1 LE, probably mandatory for everyone running the game.
  • LE1 Sideloader Framework: Required for a series of mods.
  • Mako Squadmate Banter: When you take the elevators on the Citadel, you often hear a news report, but occasionally your two squadmates will exchange some banter. The problem is that since everyone gets tired of the elevator rides, you start using the Citadel transit to get where you want to go and never hear all of them. This mod periodically plays the squadmate banter while you're driving around in the Mako, depending on who you have with you. It makes so much sense, I'd recommend first time players install this too.
  • Unlimited Sprint and Boost: Bit of a misnomer, this greatly lengthens the amount of time you can sprint on foot or use the Mako's boost before it runs out. There are a few varieties of this mod around, might be one that actually makes it unlimited.
  • Same-Gender Romances for LE1: This mod allows Femshep to start a romance with Ashley, and Broshep with Kaidan. Doesn't exclude the option to still pursue a cis relationship with either. It will, however, switch around who Shepard rescues from the beacon. In my first videos, it conflicts with one of the other mods, which is why you still see Tammy push Kaidan out of the way, then have Ashley thank her for pushing her on the ship, but that has since been fixed.
  • Pinnacle Station DLC: As you may know, someone hosed up and the Pinnacle Station DLC files were not around anymore when they were making the Legendary Edition. This mod restores it for the LE. It's mostly for whoever really enjoys the shooting sections and is kind of skewed towards Soldier characters, but it gives you a fairly nice reward to sink your excessive credits into.
  • Saren Stages LE: Probably my favorite mod. In the vanilla game, Saren looks like a freak when first seen – Geth arm, tubes and tech sticking out of his everywhere, glowing eyes and tech jaws. Yet neither Nihlus nor the Council seem to notice. It was always intended that Saren goes through a few stages of development from regular Turian to Geth-enhanced cyborg, but it was abandoned for lack of time, and nobody bothered to fix it for the Legendary Edition. This mod lets you de-Geth Saren until it's thematically appropriate, and lets you choose whether you want his first appearance to be in armor, or in kind of religious-looking black robes, based on a piece of concept art.
  • Easier Feros Persuasion Check: On Feros, you normally run into a Paragon/Renegade check that is unusually difficult to pass, which is why people often leave Feros for later. It seems like kind of an oversight, which this mod fixes.
  • No Inventory Limit: This should fix the annoying late game issue where your inventory is constantly filled to capacity because you're getting more loot than you handle. But, I think during my last playthrough, it didn't work. Might have a conflict with another mod.
  • Skip Minigames (LE1): Another important quality of life mod for replays, this reduces the omni-gel cost for skipping the tedious hacking minigame to always be 0, letting you skip them for free.
  • Galaxy Map Trackers: Adds trackers for missions that are available, but you haven't found yet, on the galaxy map. Obviously not for first playthroughs, but convenient on a replay, even if it makes the map a bit crowded.
  • Charted Worlds: Marks the points of interest on planets (elements, item pickups) so you don't have to go around covering the whole map in the Mako to find them manually. Very welcome on replays.
  • Casual Hubs for LE1: Lets you give yourself, Kaidan, Ashley, Garrus and Wrex 'casual' outfits to wear on the Citadel, instead of their combat armor. For you and your human companions, it's the uniform they also wear on the ship. I've installed this for Shepard, Kaidan and Ashley only. Note that guns will still appear on your back, until you've completed all the quests on the Citadel that can involve shooting.
  • Even More Hairstyles (LE1-LE2): Adds a series of terrible looking hairdos, which you have to use the Trilogy Save Editor to give to your character. Might use this for fun at one point.
  • No Skill Check Required For Loot (LE1): Another quality of life mod for replays – normally, you have to have a squad member with you with sufficient Decryption skill to even attempt to open the various containers, mummified corpses and elements you find on planets. This slightly breaks the mechanics since the Decryption skill is largely unnecessary, but it beats feeling obligated to always bring Tali.
  • Replenish Grenades LE1: Always thought it was weird that your grenades don't get replenished when you get back to the Normandy. This adds a grenade dispenser on the ship after you buy the first grenade upgrade.
  • Dr. Heart Experiments: I won't be seeing this one in this playthrough, but it changes the appearance of the zombies on Garrus's “Loyalty” mission so they look like a more unique type of zombie, instead of just being Husks. I think the appearance is based on unused textures present in the game.
  • Morlan's 'Famous' Iconic Armor Shop: This lets Morlan's shop in the Wards sell you a series of hard or impossible to find armors, I think? Probably won't be seeing it in this playthrough.
  • New Casuals for Femshep: This lets you pick from a series of uniforms and outfits for your character, but you have to make your choice upon installing the mod – the default choice is the ME3 Alliance uniform, which I think fits nicely with Tammy's severe vibes. Compatible with the Casual Hubs mod.
  • Halcyon Hairpack: Like Even More Hairstyles, adds some silly styles. Required for the LE1 Diversification Project. Again, you have to edit your save to change to one of these styles.
  • Advanced Weapon Models for LE1: Adds in more different looking models for the weapons, using models from ME2 and ME3. Also required for the LE1 Diversification Project.
  • Matriarch Benezia Biotic VFX Fix: Apparently, in the Legendary Edition, some graphical effects during cutscenes don't play properly. This one fixes one during your boss fight with Benezia.
  • Alternate Feros Claw Cutscene: Changes the cutscene on Feros where you disengage the Geth ship's claws from the building (haven't seen it in action yet).
  • Black Market License (LE1): Gives the Alliance Requisitions Officer on the Normandy the option to sell you a Black Market license, which will apparently reintroduce a series of weapons and armor that were unavailable in the Legendary Edition? Since I'll be forced to deal mostly with the ARO, we'll see.
  • Combat Communication (LE1): Increases the amount of combat banter from your squad, which is normally quite sparse. To my great pleasure, the mod seems to do the same for enemies, which means ENEMIES EVERYWHERE GO GO GO I WILL DESTROY YOU again.
  • Paragade Persuasion: Normally the game heavily incentivizes going all-Paragon or all-Renegade in order to beat alignment checks, but this mod changes the checks so that they count up your Renegade and Paragon points to bypass checks. Seemed useful for this playthrough.
  • LE1 Diversification Project: A collection of modifications to the game that adds a bunch more aliens to the Citadel to make it feel more lively, restores some lost content and adds in a few new things. I actually haven't looked much into what it does, I figure I'd let it surprise me.
  • Children of Rannoch (LE1): Since I'm not going to use or interact with the alien squad members much, I thought I'd give a mod that gives Tali a bit more of a face a try. Most Quarian mods give them fully human faces, this one has kind of a cool humanoid-but-alien face that I found more interesting. I just don't like the weird and overly bright eyes, I'd like to see a version where the eyes are just glowy and opaque like how they normally seem.
  • Keepers Finders (LE1): Another small quality of life mod, adds the locations of Keepers to your map when you're trying to find them for Chorban. Tammy won't be doing that.
  • Saren Virmire Biotic VFX Fix: Like the Benezia VFX mod, this fixes a missing effect in a cutscene on Virmire.
  • A Lot of Videos for LE1: Replaces the game's cutscenes with ones that have been upscaled for 4K. I'm not playing or recording at 4K, but supposedly they even improve image quality at Full HD. We'll see. Notable about this mod is that since it only affects the cutscenes, it doesn't matter when you install it, even if you've already installed texture mods.
  • Normandy Rapid Transit (LE1): In the base game, tediously, there is no quicker way to get to the Normandy on the Citadel than by fast-traveling to C-Sec, taking the elevator to the docking bay, going through the decontamination scene in the airlock... this convenient mod adds the Normandy as a fast travel location for the Rapid Transit consoles. Only thing that might've made it better would be adding a function that would let you choose a destination of the Citadel the moment you disembark from the Normandy.
  • Flycam Keybinds (LE1): I was looking for a way to record video of the alien planet vistas, unspoiled by my own character planted in the middle of the screen, and there are console commands left over to enable a free floating camera, but they require finagling with scripts to actually control it. This helpful little mod takes care of that for me!

Texture mods:

• Improved Static Lighting: A texture mod that, in tandem with ALOT, should make the game look better. Hadn't used it in the first videos because these mods are quite big and therefore take a while to install. This particular one takes me up to like 30 minutes to install, but I think it does fix some rather obonoxious broken-looking shadows in people's faces.
  • ALOT (A Lot of Textures): Should make some of the game's textures look better. I wasn't sold on it by the screenshots on the Nexus, but I thought I'd give it a try. I thought at first that it was kind of a length install, but it seems to be relatively quick, unlike the Improved Stat Lighting mod.
  • Custom Makos (texture mod): Plain and simple, a few color variations to change the look of the Mako. I went with yellow and red.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 5, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I did a space racist Shep about 8 or so years ago. I think I only got halfway through 2 before I realised I was cutting out a LOT of content and wasn't sure if I could even finish the game (before learning that Zaeed can hold the line all his own in the suicide mission) so I gave up.

My Shep for that was male, and there was an interesting through-line in Mark Meer's delivery of a lot of the renegade dialogues that actually made the racist aspect come off a little too familiar to people I knew

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Tammy has such pouty lips they look like they're going to fly off.

I don't know how far ahead you record but would it be possible to lower the game audio a bit more when you're speaking? It's probably a Me problem but I sometimes can't make our what your saying. (no biggy if thats not possible)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

I did a space racist Shep about 8 or so years ago. I think I only got halfway through 2 before I realised I was cutting out a LOT of content and wasn't sure if I could even finish the game (before learning that Zaeed can hold the line all his own in the suicide mission) so I gave up.

My Shep for that was male, and there was an interesting through-line in Mark Meer's delivery of a lot of the renegade dialogues that actually made the racist aspect come off a little too familiar to people I knew

I'm only a little way into ME1 right now, but finding there's not that many opportunities to be spacist in dialogue. I can't even agree with Ashley about her reservations on having aliens onboard! Still, it's kind of funny going around just speeding past most encounters with aliens. I'm not even racking up many renegade points so far. I don't know if I'll make it to ME2, let alone ME3, but I assume I'll eventually have to compromise Tammy's morals to make it through. We'll see.

coleman francis posted:

Tammy has such pouty lips they look like they're going to fly off.

I don't know how far ahead you record but would it be possible to lower the game audio a bit more when you're speaking? It's probably a Me problem but I sometimes can't make our what your saying. (no biggy if thats not possible)

I'll try to watch out for that, thanks. The only other time I've tried recording live commentary while playing was Limbo of the Lost, but sometimes I slip into mumbling a bit, I've found. After recording, I'll add some bit of commentary here and there in post. Me playing an Infiltrator, and the sniper rifle probably being the loudest gun in the game doesn't help keep things audible. Will work on that!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

And considering that Meer is a native resident of Alberta, I'd guess he had a lot of experience interacting with or observing really racist people to draw on for some of those lines :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well, he had plenty of help from the majority of the Alberta Legislature. Heck, he could've just studied Ralph Klein. I meant more that Meer's said many times that for ME1, his approach to dialogue was to have a more even delivery for paragon, renegade, and neutral responses, believing that it would be better for players to self-identify with the Shepard they spent hours creating. Thus, having lived most of my life in Alberta, that casual and unemotional delivery came across as uncomfortably relatable.

Funny how these days, I think the more emotive response would be more accurate (that, and I think he underestimated that the majority of players didn't make a custom Shep and didn't care about verisimilitude)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

Well, he had plenty of help from the majority of the Alberta Legislature. Heck, he could've just studied Ralph Klein. I meant more that Meer's said many times that for ME1, his approach to dialogue was to have a more even delivery for paragon, renegade, and neutral responses, believing that it would be better for players to self-identify with the Shepard they spent hours creating. Thus, having lived most of my life in Alberta, that casual and unemotional delivery came across as uncomfortably relatable.

Funny how these days, I think the more emotive response would be more accurate (that, and I think he underestimated that the majority of players didn't make a custom Shep and didn't care about verisimilitude)

This was one of the few things Andromeda did right in how it abandoned the Paragon/Renegade/Neutral divide and allowed you to give responses based off emotional tones and mindsets. It made for a greater range of options that made Ryder feel like a more responsive person than Shepard at times. Also having the default names be voiced from time to time was a good choice. One of the things I wished they'd implemented for LE was doing something like that for "John" and "Jane", but it probably would have required getting the cast back and re-recording a bunch of lines. Though I could see some mad fucker doing it themselves eventually with mods and AI eventually.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That was one thing I liked in Fallout 4. Having a list of 30 names you could choose from for your protagonist so you would hear NPCs actually saying your name. Bioware had good instincts, but it is a shame that they didn't incorporate something similar for LE. I think the only character you wouldn't be able to do any re-recording with is Zaeed, but he doesn't strike me as a first name kinda person

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

That was one thing I liked in Fallout 4. Having a list of 30 names you could choose from for your protagonist so you would hear NPCs actually saying your name. Bioware had good instincts, but it is a shame that they didn't incorporate something similar for LE. I think the only character you wouldn't be able to do any re-recording with is Zaeed, but he doesn't strike me as a first name kinda person

He's also got probably the least amount of dialog of the main cast too, so it's not like you'd even notice.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tammy has a talk with her crew, meets the 'Bass, Udina, and has an embarassing audience with the council.

Beatrice
Feb 23, 2011
Tammy choosing paragon almost seems the opposite of what I expected.

Honestly the whole paragon/renegade thing was such an odd product of its time to see nowadays. Of course it still shows up but it feels tired. Kinda odd to think that back when this was new these binary choices still felt revolutionary and compelling.

ME always feels like such a microsm of game design of its time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Beatrice posted:

Kinda odd to think that back when this was new these binary choices still felt revolutionary and compelling.
They really didn't, though. This is at least the third game in a row where they put them in (fourth if you count KOTOR 2). At this point, they were desperately trying to market paragon/renegade as something completely different to the good/evil choices they had before.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Beatrice posted:

Tammy choosing paragon almost seems the opposite of what I expected.

This is kind of an issue I ran in when I did a first attempt at recording this LP: I pictured Tammy as a bitchy soccer mom, Home Owners Association, "I am a MOTHER" type, who would only be nice to her own (human) crew members, but that quickly turned into a bog standard all-Renegade playthrough. So, while still trying to make her an unpleasant person, I figure she sucks up to authority, is trying to get into everyone's pants, and is charitable strictly to other humans.

anilEhilated posted:

They really didn't, though. This is at least the third game in a row where they put them in (fourth if you count KOTOR 2). At this point, they were desperately trying to market paragon/renegade as something completely different to the good/evil choices they had before.

It would've been interesting if paragon/renegade had been more about nudging Shepard's decision making between aggression and caution, decisive and deferential. But half the time it still feels like a choice between Kiss Baby and Eat Baby.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

davidspackage posted:

Kiss Baby and Eat Baby.

If only some game developer had the courage to let you do both.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tammy goes down into the Wards to find "Nasty" Harkin, and has her "no aliens on my crew" beliefs severely challenged when Wrex and Tali force themselves on her.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that facemod for Tali is interesting, it reminds me of the face concepts that got spread around after ME3 and everyone was super mad that bioware just used a stock photo (plus some alien bits) for her face. I actually don't mind the eyes, what looks weird to me is the tube in her nose. It reminds me of the stillsuit designs from David Lynch's Dune and I feel it's kind of unnecessary seeing as the whole point with the quarian suit is that everything, including the masks, is sealed in, making a tube like that redundant.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, my initial reaction to seeing the eyes in action was a bit strong, I still rather like the actual alien-ness of the face. But I would like some options to customize the eyes (right now, the mod has four options to make the face shield more opaque or translucent).

I don't mind the nose plug, I imagine the suit has to be plugged into the actual Quarian body in a few spots to dispense antibiotics and stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, my initial reaction to seeing the eyes in action was a bit strong, I still rather like the actual alien-ness of the face. But I would like some options to customize the eyes (right now, the mod has four options to make the face shield more opaque or translucent).

I don't mind the nose plug, I imagine the suit has to be plugged into the actual Quarian body in a few spots to dispense antibiotics and stuff.

The tube could also be a feeding tube. That's usually how they do it in hospitals: nasal insertion. Kinda got first-hand experience with that one once :v:

It does look really good though. I just finished a playthrough of ME1 the other week with a bunch of ME3 continuity-based mods, and if this one had the option of having Tali in her ME2/3 armor instead of her ME1 one I'd install it in a heartbeat.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Merry Christmas LP forum! I had a lovely time getting together with my family, and now I'm chilling at home with rain pattering down the window and me getting a nice buzz on with some wine while watching movies.

In today's surplus length episode, Tammy is given the nebulous honor of becoming a Spectre, and starts lording her superiority over others. I finish up the remaining sidequests on the Citadel.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Off to a great start as a spectre Tammy. Surely the council won't live to regret this.

Lol, some of these scenes are so hard to watch. I haaaaaate roleplaying a bad guy :cripes:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

coleman francis posted:

Off to a great start as a spectre Tammy. Surely the council won't live to regret this.

Lol, some of these scenes are so hard to watch. I haaaaaate roleplaying a bad guy :cripes:

I'm honestly surprised sometimes by how mean some of the Renegade options are for ME1, and then later disappointed when I don't really get any good renegade options.

By the way, happy 2024! Finally we are living in the future of flying cars and telekinetic powers. In today's episode, Tammy ticks off a few sidequests and then heads off to the human colony on Feros to see what's up.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

got a good laugh out of the megaphone bit while in the Mako. Also, is the new colour scheme on the Mako a mod? I must've missed if you mentioned that in the video

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

got a good laugh out of the megaphone bit while in the Mako. Also, is the new colour scheme on the Mako a mod? I must've missed if you mentioned that in the video

Yeah, I mentioned it briefly, it's a texture mod, Custom Mako. Lets you pick from a few different color schemes.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Stuck! Won't Budge!

Man I wish undying had gotten a sequel.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tammy takes the kids for a trip on the Skyway, gives herself a tour around the ExoGeni facility, and has a bit of an altercation with one of the employees!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tammy faces a dilemma with the colonists, roots out their problem, and has a delicious vision. As an epilogue, some chatting on the ship.

I had a mild bout of covid over the holidays and didn't manage to record anything for a few weeks, which I guess left me a little rusty, as I just finished a two-and-a-half hour recording session where I neglected to hit Start Recording in OBS before starting. loving oops. Guess I'll have to give Noveria another go. :(

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Thanks for the vid, really enjoying this series!

Wonder if there's any good pizza joints on the Citadel...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I almost feel like anything could be put into the beacon visions until the conduit is found, everyone loves some 'za

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think I read somewhere that one of the Mass Effect developers made the goopier bits of the Prothean vision at home with some cheese pizza(s) and computer parts.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Getting some sidequests out of the way. Tammy fights a computer on the moon, defuses another situation with some violent biotics, sorts out some thieving monkeys, and causes several incidents on the Citadel.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Shepard, this is Admiral Hackett, I have the munchies something awful. I need you and you're crew to get me some five guys ASAP.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

did Admiral Hackett really hit you consecutively like that? I didn't think you could proc that many sidequests (you need to be level 20 for the Luna mission iirc)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

did Admiral Hackett really hit you consecutively like that? I didn't think you could proc that many sidequests (you need to be level 20 for the Luna mission iirc)

You can rack up like 10 or 20 sidequests just by going around the galaxy map and stopping in every star cluster that's available. Honestly, it's what I do now the second I get access to the Normandy, just go loving everywhere and stack up the calls from Hackett so that the guy's in a holding queue with himself for waiting to talk to Shepard next. The Galaxy Map Trackers mod really helps with that, I find.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hah, well that makes Joker's "well, well, well, look who's calling you again" line fit a lot better

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mapped out the available missions prior to recording, so I wouldn't stumble into missions I wanted to avoid, like the one where you find Wrex's family armor, or Nassana Dantius' sister's gang. But when you do it like that, it does start looking like Hacķett's constantly on the phone asking you to pick up milk and eggs while you're out.

The Council has to regret their Spectre policy, right? You give a non-Council race one Spectre and their military immediately starts having them serve human interests all over the place.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I mapped out the available missions prior to recording, so I wouldn't stumble into missions I wanted to avoid, like the one where you find Wrex's family armor, or Nassana Dantius' sister's gang. But when you do it like that, it does start looking like Hacķett's constantly on the phone asking you to pick up milk and eggs while you're out.

The Council has to regret their Spectre policy, right? You give a non-Council race one Spectre and their military immediately starts having them serve human interests all over the place.

Meanwhile Hackett's like "lol thanks chumps! [orders Shepard to do a bunch of black ops poo poo on the Council's dime]"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I would love a post-trilogy game (or maybe a game set before Shepard's time) where we get to see that the Turian, Asari, and Salarians are just as bureaucratic and prone to put themselves first as Hackett is doing here. Yes, we kinda get a bit of that with some choices in ME3, but I'd love to see a Mass Effect game where you get to play as Nihlus or some other Spectre and see that the other council races are just as self-centred as we are

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Our lady and Shepard meets an old friend of her mom's, settles up with upstanding citizen Helena Blake, and pursues a few more rumors that lead to defusing a bomb, hunting some straggling plant zombies, and becoming a little more familiar with a shadowy little organization called Cerberus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

dang, I must've never made a Shepard with the background where your mom's still around, I'm seeing new content for a game I've owned for over a decade