Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I did a space racist Shep about 8 or so years ago. I think I only got halfway through 2 before I realised I was cutting out a LOT of content and wasn't sure if I could even finish the game (before learning that Zaeed can hold the line all his own in the suicide mission) so I gave up.

My Shep for that was male, and there was an interesting through-line in Mark Meer's delivery of a lot of the renegade dialogues that actually made the racist aspect come off a little too familiar to people I knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well, he had plenty of help from the majority of the Alberta Legislature. Heck, he could've just studied Ralph Klein. I meant more that Meer's said many times that for ME1, his approach to dialogue was to have a more even delivery for paragon, renegade, and neutral responses, believing that it would be better for players to self-identify with the Shepard they spent hours creating. Thus, having lived most of my life in Alberta, that casual and unemotional delivery came across as uncomfortably relatable.

Funny how these days, I think the more emotive response would be more accurate (that, and I think he underestimated that the majority of players didn't make a custom Shep and didn't care about verisimilitude)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That was one thing I liked in Fallout 4. Having a list of 30 names you could choose from for your protagonist so you would hear NPCs actually saying your name. Bioware had good instincts, but it is a shame that they didn't incorporate something similar for LE. I think the only character you wouldn't be able to do any re-recording with is Zaeed, but he doesn't strike me as a first name kinda person

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that facemod for Tali is interesting, it reminds me of the face concepts that got spread around after ME3 and everyone was super mad that bioware just used a stock photo (plus some alien bits) for her face. I actually don't mind the eyes, what looks weird to me is the tube in her nose. It reminds me of the stillsuit designs from David Lynch's Dune and I feel it's kind of unnecessary seeing as the whole point with the quarian suit is that everything, including the masks, is sealed in, making a tube like that redundant.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

got a good laugh out of the megaphone bit while in the Mako. Also, is the new colour scheme on the Mako a mod? I must've missed if you mentioned that in the video

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I almost feel like anything could be put into the beacon visions until the conduit is found, everyone loves some 'za

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

did Admiral Hackett really hit you consecutively like that? I didn't think you could proc that many sidequests (you need to be level 20 for the Luna mission iirc)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hah, well that makes Joker's "well, well, well, look who's calling you again" line fit a lot better

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I would love a post-trilogy game (or maybe a game set before Shepard's time) where we get to see that the Turian, Asari, and Salarians are just as bureaucratic and prone to put themselves first as Hackett is doing here. Yes, we kinda get a bit of that with some choices in ME3, but I'd love to see a Mass Effect game where you get to play as Nihlus or some other Spectre and see that the other council races are just as self-centred as we are

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

dang, I must've never made a Shepard with the background where your mom's still around, I'm seeing new content for a game I've owned for over a decade

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it may just have been that I didn't travel back to the Citadel often enough to unlock that sidequest as well. Until 2020, I just had the trilogy for PS3 and the load times for ME1 are loving atrocious, so after my 3rd Shep, I just tried to avoid as much travel as possible whenever playing ME1. That, and I played a LOT of ME3 MP.

A

LOT

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

there is a way to keep Ventralis on your side the whole time, you just have to save the Hot Labs for after you visit Benezia

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

who's the Turian that was staring at nothing? Is that a dig at ignoring Garrus?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wow, I forgot how much of a wet blanket Kaiden is. Then again, the overarching story of Mass Effect is that "Shepard was right, everyone else is wrong (except in Mass Effect 2 where TIM is also right?!)" and that this isn't a time to be tip-toeing around

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

iirc Kaidan does "harden" if you choose him to be your Virmire survivor, but I've never romanced him before so I didn't realise how comparatively "soft" he is in ME1. Hardness and softness aren't great descriptors, but considering that he is working under a Spectre, he was ground zero at Eden Prime and KNOWS Saren is responsible for all of the things we have accused him of (even going so far as to voice protest while on the Citadel) it almost feels like he was turned into a mouthpiece here instead of continuing being the character he had been and will be.

Granted, I'd probably have to see the alternative responses he has if you aren't full-steam ahead Make Earth Great Again, because these ones just feel like a different person

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

when playing through ME1, I never really understand why they decided to make Cerberus such a big organization, one that is capable of bringing Shepard back from the dead and rebuilding the Normandy into a bigger, better version. It's like how every Star Trek series after DS9 took away the wrong message about Section 31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks for the LP. It was cool to see how the LE version looks (complete with mods and stuff)

A pity we won't get to see the continuing adventures of Tammy Shepard. I'd be curious how she's supposed to suddenly be friendly with people she straight up ignored in this game :v: