Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

I did a space racist Shep about 8 or so years ago. I think I only got halfway through 2 before I realised I was cutting out a LOT of content and wasn't sure if I could even finish the game (before learning that Zaeed can hold the line all his own in the suicide mission) so I gave up.

My Shep for that was male, and there was an interesting through-line in Mark Meer's delivery of a lot of the renegade dialogues that actually made the racist aspect come off a little too familiar to people I knew

And considering that Meer is a native resident of Alberta, I'd guess he had a lot of experience interacting with or observing really racist people to draw on for some of those lines :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

Well, he had plenty of help from the majority of the Alberta Legislature. Heck, he could've just studied Ralph Klein. I meant more that Meer's said many times that for ME1, his approach to dialogue was to have a more even delivery for paragon, renegade, and neutral responses, believing that it would be better for players to self-identify with the Shepard they spent hours creating. Thus, having lived most of my life in Alberta, that casual and unemotional delivery came across as uncomfortably relatable.

Funny how these days, I think the more emotive response would be more accurate (that, and I think he underestimated that the majority of players didn't make a custom Shep and didn't care about verisimilitude)

This was one of the few things Andromeda did right in how it abandoned the Paragon/Renegade/Neutral divide and allowed you to give responses based off emotional tones and mindsets. It made for a greater range of options that made Ryder feel like a more responsive person than Shepard at times. Also having the default names be voiced from time to time was a good choice. One of the things I wished they'd implemented for LE was doing something like that for "John" and "Jane", but it probably would have required getting the cast back and re-recording a bunch of lines. Though I could see some mad fucker doing it themselves eventually with mods and AI eventually.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

That was one thing I liked in Fallout 4. Having a list of 30 names you could choose from for your protagonist so you would hear NPCs actually saying your name. Bioware had good instincts, but it is a shame that they didn't incorporate something similar for LE. I think the only character you wouldn't be able to do any re-recording with is Zaeed, but he doesn't strike me as a first name kinda person

He's also got probably the least amount of dialog of the main cast too, so it's not like you'd even notice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, my initial reaction to seeing the eyes in action was a bit strong, I still rather like the actual alien-ness of the face. But I would like some options to customize the eyes (right now, the mod has four options to make the face shield more opaque or translucent).

I don't mind the nose plug, I imagine the suit has to be plugged into the actual Quarian body in a few spots to dispense antibiotics and stuff.

The tube could also be a feeding tube. That's usually how they do it in hospitals: nasal insertion. Kinda got first-hand experience with that one once :v:

It does look really good though. I just finished a playthrough of ME1 the other week with a bunch of ME3 continuity-based mods, and if this one had the option of having Tali in her ME2/3 armor instead of her ME1 one I'd install it in a heartbeat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

did Admiral Hackett really hit you consecutively like that? I didn't think you could proc that many sidequests (you need to be level 20 for the Luna mission iirc)

You can rack up like 10 or 20 sidequests just by going around the galaxy map and stopping in every star cluster that's available. Honestly, it's what I do now the second I get access to the Normandy, just go loving everywhere and stack up the calls from Hackett so that the guy's in a holding queue with himself for waiting to talk to Shepard next. The Galaxy Map Trackers mod really helps with that, I find.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I mapped out the available missions prior to recording, so I wouldn't stumble into missions I wanted to avoid, like the one where you find Wrex's family armor, or Nassana Dantius' sister's gang. But when you do it like that, it does start looking like Hacķett's constantly on the phone asking you to pick up milk and eggs while you're out.

The Council has to regret their Spectre policy, right? You give a non-Council race one Spectre and their military immediately starts having them serve human interests all over the place.

Meanwhile Hackett's like "lol thanks chumps! [orders Shepard to do a bunch of black ops poo poo on the Council's dime]"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

dang, I must've never made a Shepard with the background where your mom's still around, I'm seeing new content for a game I've owned for over a decade

I think Spacer is my favourite background for Shep because it's the only one where their family is still alive. Helps make it feel like they're not just alone in the universe out there in a way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

coleman francis posted:

Is there anyway to prevent ventralis from killing everyone?

Beyond "just don't visit the Hot Labs"? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They also make it so that if you DO get everyone on Peak 15 killed 1) it doesn't matter gameplay wise, and 2) you don't feel bad about it because everyone on Peak 15 was an rear end in a top hat involved on bad science poo poo for bad people and they all deserve to die. gently caress Peak 15. All my space racist homies hate Peak 15.

Okay, maybe the Elcor shopkeeper dude. HE didn't deserve to die, but everyone else did.