Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Fate/Samurai Remnant

Released in the September of 2023, Fate/Samurai Remnant is a game made by Omega Force and published by KoeiTecmo, working in collaboration with the company Type-Moon upon whom the world-building and other writing largely relies with their substantial Fate franchise. Ostensibly an action RPG, it has strong Musou blood running in its veins (think Dynasty Warriors-style combat) but oddly enough also has a vibe similar to that of a Yakuza title (without quite as much side-content).

In Fate/Samurai Remnant you play as Miyamoto Iori, the adopted son of the famed swords-master Miyamoto Musashi. The relative peace of the city of Edo, Japan is shattered as a great magical ritual is performed. Seven individuals are selected as Masters to battle one another till only one is left standing, and to aid them each is granted a heroic spirit of humanity's history as a Servant who wield incredible powers beyond mortal limitations. Iori's belief in the Way of Peace is put to the test as he attempts to bring the Waxing Moon Ritual to an end, aided by the mysterious warrior summoned to his side known as Saber.

Fate/Samurai Remnant is a fairly large game, with multiple endings and additional story elements unlocked in new game+, and it is the intent of this Let's Play to show all of that off. There is also a season pass promising three DLCs over the course of 2024 that claim to be quite substantial in their own right and we plan to show those off whenever they come out too. In this endeavour I am joined by my buddy Coolguye and he comes from the perspective of knowing next to nothing about the Fate franchise, so as the game goes along we'll be doing our best to break down a lot of what goes on in this setting as the game itself lays it out for us.

For those who are fans of Fate this is another nice piece of the brand, and for those completely unfamiliar with the setting the game is actually a pretty nice way to dip one's toes into what is quite a deep and sometimes convoluted franchise with a rather significant amount of material published for it in a lot of mediums. We hope you enjoy it!

:siren: As a general rule for spoilers the usual caveat of don't talk about it if it hasn't happened applies, as well as if you think you need to put it in spoiler tags to talk about it, don't talk about it. In this case I would also like to add another one to the mix so as to remove all ambiguity. Do not say the True Name of a Servant until the game chooses to reveal it. I know some Servants that appear in Samurai Remnant have appeared in other Fate properties (multiple times, even) so the average fan likely instantly recognises them, but I'd still like the surprise to be kept in pace with the game for anyone who isn't so knowledgeable (Coolguye in particular).

I also understand Fate is a franchise with far more than just this one game attached to it and the franchise as a whole really enjoys being self-referential, so in that particular case where you discuss other Fate properties please use spoiler tags for the benefit of anyone who much think of getting into the franchise based on this game, and be aware if something you're going to post about some other Fate property might spoil something happening in this Let's Play. Thank you. :siren:

Episodes
Episode 1 – The Waxing Moon Ritual
Episode 2 - The Crimson Codex
Episode 3 - Blundering Through the Flowerbed
Episode 4 - Demonic Revelry
Episode 5 - A Journey of a Thousand Miles
Episode 6 - The Victor Controls His Opponent
Episode 7 - To Be Shrewd or Regal?
Episode 8 - Cascading Gouts of Blood
Episode 9 - Surging Waves
Episode 10 - Keeping Busy
Episode 11 - Ensnare the Furtive Serpent
Episode 12 - Crimson Light Piercing the Earth
Episode 13 - Enthralled By Your Radiance
Episode 14 - Drawn Ever Southwards
Episode 15 - Along the Coast Do We Enounter
Episode 16 - Berserker Banquet
Episode 17 - Tis Now the Time to Finish This
Episode 18 - Hidden Influences
Episode 19: Writhing in Moonlight
Episode 20 - ...And into the Fire
Episode 21 - Leaves Hold Firm Against the Wind

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kawaraban
Dotted through each major location of Samurai Remnant are little lore snippets, based on a form of newsletter in Japan. We'll be listing them here mostly because they're neat and are about the only piece of information the game gives you that isn't a partial reveal or a complete bamboozle. Due to the nature of how the game displays this stuff it's easier to just type it out than try to paste a bunch of images together.

Issue 1: Asakusa posted:

Try the Ise Special, Honeyed Rice Cakes!
With the delicious aroma of rice, a hardy crunch, and a sweetness that fills the mouth, the Honeyed Rice Cake is Available in Asakusa for the first time ever!
Said to have been first sold in the town outside of Ise Shrine by an official of Kinoshita, this snack has a light flavor that will appeal to people of all ages and really sticks to the ribs.
Could something that good truly exist, you ask? If you don't believe it, come line up at a food stall in Asakusa and see for yourself. But beware, you may find yourself drawn to Senso-ji every day for another bite!

Issue 2: Asakusa posted:

Who Dwells in the Haunted House?
Set on a back street in the residential area of Asakusa, this "haunted house" doesn't have a single ghost inside. But it's so shabby that the house itself might turn into a ghost!
Rumours say that a young man started living in this ramshackle, old house not too long ago, so I asked around to see what kind of weirdo this guys is. Inside there's apparently a book that can fly, the laughing voice of a girl that shouldn't be there, and the sounds of swinging swords night after night...
Maybe I shouldn't have asked in the first place! Well, I certainly won't be going near that spooky place again.

Issue 3: Yoshiwara posted:

Takao Dayu the 2nd, a Femme Fatale?
Though not spoken of outside the gates, rumors stirring in Yoshiwara say a lord drew his sword on Takao Dayu for not bending to his will.
True or not, there is no shortage of jealous fools who would spread lies about the number on courtesan of Yoshiwara. On the other hand, some lords are so obsessed with Dayu that they'd happily empty their coffers for her.
With news of another family scandal involving the pleasure quarter recently making the rounds in Edo, it might be best to take drinking and women in moderation - fly too close to the sun and you might get burned.

Issue 4: Okachimachi posted:

Soldiers on the Road to Success
Do you ever wonder when the area south of Kan'ei-ji, situated on the north-east of Edo Castle, earned the name Okachimachi, 'Soldier Town'? The origin of the name is clear enough - it refers to the many residences in the area for low-ranking samurai foot soldiers. But did you know other people live there as well?
There's the Osakite-gumi, in charge of Edo Castle's security and keeping the peace around town (and who are hated for the rough attitudes and eagerness to draw their swords), and the mounted Goshoinban-gumi, who act as guards for the Shogun and are galloping full speed towards promotion.
It might not be obvious based on their dress, but you'll surely be able to tell which group they belong to by the look on their faces. I'd avoid going near the Osakite-gumi if I were you.

Issue 6: Suidobashi posted:

Clean Water Thanks to the Waterworks
Our thirsts are quenched by virtue of the Kanda Waterworks, which draws water from Inokashira Pond and brings it straight to Edo.
It evidently used to be called Koishikawa Waterworks long ago when they drew water from the Koishikawa River. In any case, water shortages continue to grow as the number of people living in Edo increases. Every resident in Edo must have wondered at least once what would happen if a big fire broke out...
Fortunately, the authorities have plans for a new waterworks. It seems they intend to draw water from the Tamagawa in the west and send it all the way to Okido in Yotsuya. Construction could get started as early as next year, and that would certainly take a load off many minds.

Issue 7: Torikoe posted:

A Prince Enshrined
South of Asakusa stands the Torikoe Shrine. The principal deity is the ancient hero Yamato Takeru no Mikoto, after whom the shrine's old name, Shiratori, 'White Birds,' was apparently taken.
Just between you and me, but before the illustrious Ieyasu began his rule in Edo, the entirety of Asakusa running along Sumidagawa belongs to the shrine. Afterwards, Mount Torikoe was leveled, and all the ponds were filled in to build the Asakusa rice granaries. And of the three shrines that used to be here, this last remaining one is said to have only been spared due to the desperate pleas of the head priest. The government might have needed the land, but there's still something sad about it all.
It'd be nice if they held a big festival like Kanda Shrine does. We'd need a flashy portable shrine to match that Edo spirit!

Issue 9: Yanagiware posted:

Yanagawara Protects Edo from Ogres
Did you know there's a place full of willows along the Kanda River called Yanagiwara Embankment? Apparently those willows were planted around two hundred years ago. That's all the way back when Ota Douken had the old Edo Castle built!
Looking from the castle, that embankment would be to the northeast - an unlucky direction of evil spirits. Yanagimori Shrine was supposedly built there to welcome the Fushimi Inari deity all the way from Kyoto, and the willow trees were planted to ward off evil.
Willows don't break under the wind, so we humans should also learn to bend like the willow tree.

Issue 11 posted:

Look Who's Strutting Around Akasaka
In Akasaka, the famed Kii Tokugawa family owns a spare residence in one of the best housing areas in Edo. Those of you in the know might have heard this already, but a group of Chinese are staying there. Even more, there seems to be some bigwig named Koxinga among them. He's apparently called that because he was permitted to use the same family name as the Ming Emperor. Of course, Koxinga isn't actually the emperor's name; that word means something like 'Lord of the Imperial Surname.'
I don't know if this has anything to do with this particular gentleman, but there are rumors in Akasaka that a flute can be heard playing in the Chinese residence on nights when the moon is beautiful. They say the flutist must be a strikingly beautiful woman or man. If it's true, I'd like to take a look for myself.

Issue 12: Nihonbashi posted:

Whitebait or Kudzutai?
Have you ever visited Uogashi in Nihonbashi? Fish, fish, and more fish line the stores from front to back. Just one look will have you smacking your lips.
What draws the most eyes, though, is either the beautifully translucent whitebait or the sea bream with its shiny scales. Both used to be luxury items that us commoners could never eat.
When the great Ieyasu was still around, catching whitebait for any purpose other than offering them to the Shogun was forbidden. Sea bream caught using special fishing nets made in Futtsu were called Kudzutai and became offerings to the Shogun as well.
Now that such delicacies have become available to folks like us, I'd say things have changed for the better.

Issue 13: Akasaka posted:

Three Thousand Monks Gather at Zojo-ji
Though famous for Lord Hidetada's grave, Zojo-ji is reportedly more important amongst trainee monks for its status as the first entry on a list of eighteen temples, called Kanto Danrin, where they can train. That would make Zojo-ji the most important temple in eastern Japan.
You should go see for yourself sometime, but Zojo-ji is surrounded by small wood-shingled dwellings that the monks use for their dormitories. There's said to be over a hundred cabins and around the same number of temples. I hired a bored fellow to count the number of monks there, but he gave up after going past three thousand.

Issue 14: Shinagawa posted:

Shinagawa, Lovely in Every Season
If Nihonbashi is the beginning of the Tokaido Highway, then Shinagawa is the first post station. Many travelers visit the sprawling town that stretches in both directions down the road, and daimyo on their way to and from Edo customarily stay at the Shinagawa Inns. Moreover, the scenery can be enjoyed across all four seasons, so Edo's citizens also have fond memories of their own.
Spring brings us the cherry blossoms of Gotenyama. In the summer, people gather on the night of July 26th to watch the moon for Tenno Festival. Kaian-ji becomes a vibrant sea of red leaves in the fall. And in winter, you can enjoy the bounties of the sea. I think you, dear reader, must have been to Shinagawa several times already, yes?
That reminds me, execution grounds have been built nearby at Suzugamori. It still hasn't been used yet, but I wonder who will be the first to lose their life there...

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 23, 2024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

quote:

rather significant amount of material published for it in a lot of mediums.

A severe understatement

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 8, 2023

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

I had only played the two Musou like Fate gates from Marvelous before playing this one, so I'm happy to watch someone with more Fate knowledge play through it. Also, for anyone thinking of playing this themselves, don't start on hard difficulty like I did, the amount of increased damage enemies do is insane.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
As somebody who used to be a really big Fate fan but has been out of the loop for a few years, this seems like a fun way to get back into it. Will be watching with interest.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Should be fun watching series newcomers and old hands react to this game.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jossar posted:

As somebody who used to be a really big Fate fan but has been out of the loop for a few years, this seems like a fun way to get back into it. Will be watching with interest.

It's wild coming back every so often to check out what's shaking.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A severe understatement

Yeah, we'll definitely get into talking about just how much stuff has been done for this franchise over the years whenever we get a chance.

Whammiewazzle posted:

I had only played the two Musou like Fate gates from Marvelous before playing this one, so I'm happy to watch someone with more Fate knowledge play through it. Also, for anyone thinking of playing this themselves, don't start on hard difficulty like I did, the amount of increased damage enemies do is insane.

The best part is the hardest difficulty doesn't unlock till you've beaten the game once.

Jossar posted:

Hunt11 posted:

Should be fun watching series newcomers and old hands react to this game.

McTimmy posted:

It's wild coming back every so often to check out what's shaking.

Yeah, I feel like this is kind of the perfect game to get a good showing of the franchise since it's very respectful towards the original work of Fate/Stay Night but also a few other works like Extra and Grand Order. All the while being its own thing and its own things really standing out on their own feet.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I know next to nothing about Fate (about the sum total of it is that the series likes to genderswap historical figures or something like that), but I do like Warriors games, so I'm here for this. This LP should be interesting.

Might even pick the game up for myself at some point.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I see we're continuing the Fate tradition of our protagonist instantly nerfing his servant. Good times.

It's kind of weird to have him fight on the same level as a servant in the beginning, I guess Saber was conserving strength for the actual fight?

Also, I really thought Lancer's master was a Berserker.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

It's kind of weird to have him fight on the same level as a servant in the beginning, I guess Saber was conserving strength for the actual fight?

I think it's more just gameplay fiat where they didn't want to make it a case of the player being able to exploit their invincible partner doing way more damage to do all the work for them.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
I think the excuse, for this game at least, is that the world was still magic enough or mythic enough that living people could be as big of badasses as the Servants. In the modern age, the "mythic-ness" has decreased significantly (thanks a lot cameras, news investigation, and internet), so living people are push-overs compared to Servants.

I'm probably getting some of this wrong; I'm going by memory of what a friend of mine who plays a lot of Fate told me.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

NullBlack posted:

I think the excuse, for this game at least, is that the world was still magic enough or mythic enough that living people could be as big of badasses as the Servants. In the modern age, the "mythic-ness" has decreased significantly (thanks a lot cameras, news investigation, and internet), so living people are push-overs compared to Servants.

I'm probably getting some of this wrong; I'm going by memory of what a friend of mine who plays a lot of Fate told me.

In other Fate stuff (specifically Grand Order) (a) Musashi was perfectly capable of fighting against and defeating Servants while still alive, so their son being able to isn't a stretch.

Also this thread reminded me that I had been planning on picking this game up, so I'll just go do that now and not comment on the story since I'm definitely going to be playing ahead.
edit- Added spoiler tags just to be careful to go with the OP policy.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 8, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
For what it’s worth, don’t worry about anything you’re being abundantly cautious and putting in spoiler tags, I’m going to flatly refuse to read anything that’s blacked out.

One of the only patterns I have managed to draw from the memes about fate is that things are weird in it. Put on your hat because we are all mad down here. Which would absolutely explain why Roboky would want to show it to me like this because it’s an entire THING on a lot of media that runs through our discord that I will scent what’s happening long before it does by virtue of just reading a lot of stories and understanding narrative moors.

While I am sure the series follows a lot of those moors, it’s also quite clear it does whatever the gently caress it wants a lot of times. So I’m certain I’m going to get bamboozled and turned around a lot because it’s just doing whatever the gently caress it wants.

And you know what that’s okay that’s good it’s healthy to get bamboozled sometimes

I say, furiously hoping you do not realize how dumb I actually am behind my forced smile

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
As someone who's absorbed things not Fate/Stay Night purely by internet osmosis, it'll be nice to see a deeper dive into the Fate world again.

And hear about just how much I've missed as well.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren:Update time!:siren:

Episode 2 - The Crimson Codex

After a little bit of a dramatic ending to the last episode, we pick up with an explanation of what the ominously named Waxing Moon Ritual is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I know juuuuust enough about Fate to groan slightly at the shot and line at 31:57. Which is about as iconic as it gets from the franchise I believe.
Other than that most of my knowledge comes from old 4chan summaries of the first Fate anime.

I see they've kept Saber's appetite.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 15, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Not knowing anything about this game or Fate in general: you can tell Saber's from a long time ago even by Edo standards just by looking at her. The sword on her back (not the one she fights with, which goes way off into fantasy land) is straight rather than curved, and I'm not an expert on historical Japanese fashion, but her clothes look much older to me, too. I noticed that right away, but I thought I might be reading too much into it. I always feel a little silly paying attention to details like that in a game with wizards and magical laser beams in it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Welcome to the guessing game that is the intent of Holy Grail War, in spite of them somehow getting derailed all the time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are a nice mixture of super obvious identities and ones that would require a lot more knowledge to figure out in this game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Yeah, the guessing part of the servants is one of my favourite parts of the franchise. The other favourite parts involving someone with a sword laser beam a building in half, and someone from ancient times eating a hamburger.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FractalSandwich posted:

Not knowing anything about this game or Fate in general: you can tell Saber's from a long time ago even by Edo standards just by looking at her. The sword on her back (not the one she fights with, which goes way off into fantasy land) is straight rather than curved, and I'm not an expert on historical Japanese fashion, but her clothes look much older to me, too. I noticed that right away, but I thought I might be reading too much into it. I always feel a little silly paying attention to details like that in a game with wizards and magical laser beams in it.

It's never really outright stated in-game but according to interviews with Nasu iirc Saber is nonbinary

I've noticed a lot of people assuming they're female from their appearance and voice but Saber's manner of speech is pretty masculine, and young men being voiced by women is pretty common in anime. No harm no foul as the ambiguity seems intended.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 15, 2023

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I mean, this Saber's gender and preferences seems to be "I sword things, also feed me." This Saber's <i>body</i>, however, is probably female, hinted at by Iori's little sister taking one look at her and going "pretty lady oh gosh Onii-chan when's the wedding" and Iori not saying anything like "Saber's not a lady" to dissuade her. I could be wrong, though, and I'll eat that humble pie if so.

Which I hope is a running gag of sorts that doesn't get overplayed. Just the first impressions of people who know Iori seeing them together and going "oh you sly dog" but not constantly insisted upon or thrust into our faces.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah, the guessing part of the servants is one of my favourite parts of the franchise.

Yeah same. I haven't kept up with the franchise at all though (the majority of what I remember is from Fate LPs on here) so of the servants that have shown up so far there's one that I think I recognize while the rest are complete mysteries.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
By the way, Saber pacing around Iori at the beginning of episode 2 is a reference to the first episode of the Fate/Zero anime, where two characters similarly deliver exposition to another character about the rules of the Holy Grail War while pacing in a circle.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Which I hope is a running gag of sorts that doesn't get overplayed. Just the first impressions of people who know Iori seeing them together and going "oh you sly dog" but not constantly insisted upon or thrust into our faces.

I have a feeling this isn't gonna happen too much, from our brief view of him so far Iori gives the strong impression that he is someone that Does Not gently caress

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Tarezax posted:

By the way, Saber pacing around Iori at the beginning of episode 2 is a reference to the first episode of the Fate/Zero anime, where two characters similarly deliver exposition to another character about the rules of the Holy Grail War while pacing in a circle.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The gif slightly speeding it up makes it so much funnier, you can almost hear the calliope music as you watch the Carousel of Exposition

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

There's something beautiful about an explanation delivered in orbit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should I describe the difference between Magecraft and Magic, or would that be spoilers?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Should I describe the difference between Magecraft and Magic, or would that be spoilers?

I kinda already did in the first episode. It's very much the shortest explanation possible when I did it but honestly the game never goes into the big weird stuff like The Root and so forth.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I kinda already did in the first episode. It's very much the shortest explanation possible when I did it but honestly the game never goes into the big weird stuff like The Root and so forth.

You talk about the difference in methodology, my understanding is that the key difference is that Magecraft is the art of the possible whereas Magic does things that are explicitly impossible.
Magecraft will teleport you to another city. You could have walked there (or taken a ship etc). You didn’t, but you could have.
The Kaleidoscope will teleport you to places that don’t even exist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the root of all dongs

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Well, we can probably save magic chat for a little bit yet since later on it'll become more relevant.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yeah, none of the big high-concept anime metaphysics are important here, this is a pretty grounded straightforward story compared to, like, the mobile game where (spoilers if you care about mobile games) you fight robot-gods from outer loving space and other zany poo poo. This game is pretty firmly in the realm of standard historical urban fantasy that's fairly intuitive, don't worry about it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

gonna be honest, i heard something about the kaledioscope and now i've been thinking about the telescope in FF14 that lets you take an elevator into the center of the earth to talk to gaia

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I find it interesting that Coolguye refers to Saber as 'she' while Roboky seems to use 'they'. If Anime has taught me anything, it's to assume that anyone gender-ambiguous in media is a guy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thankfully Mordred was busy

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'm obfuscating like a CHAMPION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Saber is probably just Murderbot and wants to watch soap operas.