Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC, a 'three-body sword' is one that has been tested to cut through three bodies in a single strike. Apocryphally this testing was conducted using criminals, it is much more likely that rolled tatami mats were used to simulate bodies.

Certainly makes sense! Still not as impressive as "Boneless Human" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that kinda sword sounds like it could be a problem

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Phew, finally caught up! Saw the LP some time ago but I eventually got the game and decided to finish it to prevent spoilers first, which I did! It was fun seeing Coolguye guess and react at all the silly Fate stuff, and the history talk was pretty interesting (since for example I knew poo poo about Zheng or Three Kingdoms stuff besides character names). Also lmao I never noticed the Rogue Lancer goof around his identity. Can't wait for the wild stuff.

Also, sorry if it is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering, how spoilery is the first DLC scenario? Was gonna do NG+ and weighted getting the Season Pass to have some variety on NG+. For context I did Rat for Rogue Saber's digressions.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also, sorry if it is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering, how spoilery is the first DLC scenario? Was gonna do NG+ and weighted getting the Season Pass to have some variety on NG+.

I have no idea I'm afraid, I haven't touched it yet and won't be touching it till I beat every ending for the vanilla release for the LP.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I have no idea I'm afraid, I haven't touched it yet and won't be touching it till I beat every ending for the vanilla release for the LP.

It's okay, was mostly asking for anyone reading the thread who did do the DLC. I can just work on playing since for maximum POWER you need to do multiple full NG+ anyways.

WaterSnek
Jan 4, 2023

It's okay, was mostly asking for anyone reading the thread who did do the DLC. I can just work on playing since for maximum POWER you need to do multiple full NG+ anyways.

IIRC the overall plot explicitly takes place in an alternate timeline but specific comments by Boss and other people, although vague and never direct with only one exception, assume you knowing every lategame reveal.

EDIT: You access it by a golden digression symbol on the map so it's fairly self contained. It's split into several campaigns with some of them locked behind plot progression and others behind completing campaigns so I don't think you'll get any explicit spoilers, just the iykyk kind because Boss is Boss.

WaterSnek fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 4, 2024

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

i was always amused by equating it very loosely to the khazalid language from warhammer fantasy, and there's that huge to-do about a piece of equipment being kazakgnol, i think was the translation. old and battle-tested was the entire jist of the term.

the similarities keep coming up the more you look at it and think about it. swords in japan got hit doubly by the expense hammer - the basic iron was expensive because Japan is pretty mineral-poor, and trade was frequently disrupted by the government. then, precisely because the iron was rare, the methods of forging it were really heavy on the smith's labor and you didn't have the big, expensive forges that developed in Germany and France. there wasn't a good reason to develop them.

there's very little scaling that happens here, and consequently, you're liable to be stuck with this same sword for a long, long time. so there's a real, and very important question: are you wielding kazakgnol, or umgak?

then iori goes on another sword maintenance session and it's like man even if he WAS swinging umgak, the spirit in the sword would keep him going out of pure stubbornness at how well he looks after it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah it's a good sword, an excellent sword even, but it's not a legendary sword. It's "a" three-body sword rather than "the" something-or-other.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

WaterSnek posted:

IIRC the overall plot explicitly takes place in an alternate timeline but specific comments by Boss and other people, although vague and never direct with only one exception, assume you knowing every lategame reveal.

EDIT: You access it by a golden digression symbol on the map so it's fairly self contained. It's split into several campaigns with some of them locked behind plot progression and others behind completing campaigns so I don't think you'll get any explicit spoilers, just the iykyk kind because Boss is Boss.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to know. As mentioned I've only seen Rat so I guess I could get spoilers about details from Snake? I guess I should hold off for a bit then.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
https://twitter.com/Starbind_S/status/1763926947736756541

Had to post this glorious shitpost.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dear god, i'm gorgeous

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's two cool trivia I wanted to talk about the game's music. I solemnly swear they have no spoilers, and I'm polsyfying that poo poo to prevent related videos:

-We've heard Tamamo Aria's theme, By Your Side, in some of her scenes. This theme is a pretty direct remix of the original Tamamo no Mae's theme, which makes sense... but the fun thing is Tamamo's theme itself is a remix of none other than... the theme for the Extras menu in the original Fate Stay Night. Now that's making good use of what you already have.

-Technically not ingame music, but during the battle where you can control Musashi, her Heavy 3 Attack, the Earth one, makes her say "Ittou Ryoran!" or Ittou Ryoudan, which is probably a reference to the homonymous song, which is kind of her theme song in FGO since it was used in the promotional materials for her story chapter. Mostly cause while Ittou Ryodan is an actual expression about slashing, Ittou Ryoran is a pun about slashing and meeting strong folks or something. Mostly mentioning it cause I start humming the song every time she says it :v:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: We are drinking the super juice :siren:

Episode 14 - Drawn Ever Southwards

The chase continues to continue (to continue), though at the least we're about to hit a real turning point. We had a bit of a technical error in this episode that didn't really become clear till we were recording, because apparently there was just a section of the raw footage that for no particular reason transformed into a land-mine that I didn't step on during editing, but on subsequent attempts to go back and re-edit after discovery kept crashing my video editing program. I can show off the dialogue proper on new game+ at least.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Obviously Coyett is a good enough mage to corrupt proof of her existence. In Fate you can absolutely blame the LP curse on a mage who's pissed off at you, given there's one who specializes in cursed e-mail chains but they're real.

Nice pirate trivia there, but also lol at how you went out of your way to use every Fate Blackbeard descriptor except the one that sums his early characterization: 4channer :v:

Does coolguye have any opinions on Rogue Archer? Besides being annoying to fight (real) and using the dumbest method to test for trsutworthyness (also real).

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A list of notable old timey pirates that have appeared in the Fate franchise and are in some cases contemporaries of the story happening right now:

-Blackbeard, who has already been discussed

-Anne Bonny and Mary Read, shipmates of Calico Jack. They are in the somewhat rare position of always being summoned together as a pair that collectively count as a single Servant, usually a Rider or Archer. They generally think Blackbeard is a gross scumbag whenever they have to interact with him, and at least in FGO are brazenly aggressive about wanting a threesome with the MC

-Sir Francis Drake, who is a lady and possibly actually Queen Elizabeth I who swapped places with the actual Francis Drake who is filling in for her in drag back in Buckingham while she has pirate adventures. Once went to Atlantis and stole the Holy Grail from Poseidon, and that was back when she was still alive before she even became a Servant.

-Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts, who is a pleasant and charming rogue who has an all-consuming fetish for girls whose eyes are covered by their bangs

-Christopher Columbus, who while not technically a "pirate" as such still kinda fits the maritime aesthetic, who is an avaricious amoral monster literally everyone hates. Like they do NOT downplay all the slaving and genocide stuff with him (which makes Drake look a bit of a hypocrite cus historically they ALSO sold a few slaves in their day, but nevertheless)

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 8, 2024

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I would like to say that Bart is a fan of hair over eyes regardless of gender. His Valentine's gift to the player is a set of wigs with bangs that cover one eye, one for the female player and one for the male player

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that more or less works in my mind because Chrissy C historically was the age of sail version a blockchain rear end in a top hat. like if you do a find/replace on their stump speech of "NFTs" with "spices" or "gold" and "blockchains" with "new horizons" you more or less have the actually unhinged manic rants that Columbus was known to give any crowned head who would let him into their court. and i do mean actually unhinged because as far as people can tell he was probably some flavor of actual diagnosable narcissist or some other incredibly impactful mental disruption, on top of being just a good old fashioned amoral colonizer.

modern biographies of him are a loving trip and a half to read. blackbeard was more comfortable to read because at least they treated him like the awful person he was in the moment. columbus mostly got bounced at the door for being an insane weirdo, but after he actually found crimes to do people joined in rather than hung him.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

:agreed: on the Archer fight not being fun, though I think the biggest issue with them is that so many of their attacks don't have a parry window. Every other fight in the game lets you get away with relentless aggression if you've got your dodge timing down, but Archers tell you to wait your god drat turn.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

-Christopher Columbus, who while not technically a "pirate" as such still kinda fits the maritime aesthetic, who is an avaricious amoral monster literally everyone hates. Like they do NOT downplay all the slaving and genocide stuff with him (which makes Drake look a bit of a hypocrite cus historically they ALSO sold a few slaves in their day, but nevertheless)

Columbus in FGO is probably one of the better characters they've ever made because they take all the traits typically assigned to a good person (refuses to give up, good leader/teacher/motivator, always chases his dreams, works hard) and then puts them on a complete poo poo-bag.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
He also has a winning smile

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He looks like a One Piece character.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Rogue Archer is a pretty interesting dude, but I suppose we'll be waiting for quite a while to talk about his true identity.

Agree with most of the talk about Columbus about how F/GO did an excellent job of making him simultaneously have many admirable character traits while also being a complete scumbag. His artist also rocks super hard, and it's a shame they don't have him working on more stuff. See for example:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fategrandorder/images/f/f7/CE1651.webp/revision/latest?cb=20230312120825

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Motomurabito just seems to really like drawing him, it's great.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Jossar posted:

Rogue Archer is a pretty interesting dude, but I suppose we'll be waiting for quite a while to talk about his true identity.

He in fact might be the last non-DLC true name we'll see due to the story path choices I've made. Fortunately we'll have the DLC for a little more room to talk about him.

On that note I didn't post the Kawaraban for the new area mostly just because I've beaten the game for the first ending path and yet to start new game+ so I can't really just go in and grab it without doing some content recording, but once I get some free time in the next week (which I haven't had much of this week) I'll copy it down.

Draga posted:

Motomurabito just seems to really like drawing him, it's great.

My favourite character archetype in just about any medium of storytelling are unapologetic pieces of trash who get their comeuppance in the most hilariously appropriate form possible: Blowback of their own shittery. Fate manages to have a lot of these kinds of people, and they're almost always satisfying. I adore most of the art for these characters because the artists tend to grasp the shamelessness of them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Let's not forget his greatest contribution to Fate, Columbus' Egg.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

Agree with most of the talk about Columbus about how F/GO did an excellent job of making him simultaneously have many admirable character traits while also being a complete scumbag. His artist also rocks super hard, and it's a shame they don't have him working on more stuff. See for example:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fategrandorder/images/f/f7/CE1651.webp/revision/latest?cb=20230312120825

The beard is completely out of control and I wouldn’t have it any other way

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: You will see a LARGE BUDDHA today :siren:

Episode 15 - Along the Coast Do We Enounter

This episode has quite a bit going on, in spite of the fact it doesn't see us get much closer to our target, Assassin. We learn a bit more of our foe's capabilities, we encounter another new face (familiar to some) and get some bonding time between Iori and Saber. I challenge Coolguy that his favourite character design was about to appear, watch to see if I'm right!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

l a r g e

b u d d h a

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Runa posted:

l a r g e

b u d d h a

i n

b i o

But suddenly, a very large coat.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 15, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nevermind that, now I'm also thinking about rice and it's hours before sun up

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The story of Kama makes me think of his part in SMT Devil Survivor 2. The main cast wants Shiva to shoot down one of the Evangelion-rear end aliens that's invaded Japan and wrecked poo poo, but Shiva's entered one of his meditations and will not be disturbed. So they're like "Well, how did this go the last time?" and so they find Kama, who is absolutely not interested in helping out a second time, and to secure his cooperation they just use the Dragon Stream (basically a big-rear end ley line) to magically puppeteer Kama into shooting at Shiva from an angle where Shiva's reprisal shoots down the Septentrion. Shiva 2, Kama 0.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Pfft, you call that a l a r g e b u d d h a ? HERE'S a l a r g e b u d d h a :

I know it wasn't built until the 20th century, I just liked the joke because both are located in Kamakura and I actually visited both of them in my trip to Japan yet I didn't recognize it in-game :v:

And agree on the opinion about Lord El Melloi II Case Files: despite being a central part of world building Fate never delves too deep into the Mage's Association and it's some real worldbuilding, specially when you realize Nasuverse mages aren't amoral monsters who eat puppies, they are morally loose shut-in nerds. And the Clock Tower isn't the typical magic school you see in urban fantasy, it's absolutely a college with older students, faculties, lecturers embroiled in petty politics or desperate attempts for getting more funding and students running betting pools on who will win "sexiest teacher of the year" to buy oil fields which is all secretly a plot from the head honchos to gather which teachers have clout in the school. You know, usual college stuff.

Also I'd watch an episode of coolguye getting shown Servant designs and trying to guess who they are, cause overall Fate never goes for mediums, it's either "that's loving genius", "that's loving dumb" or both. Except Saber who is a perfect gremlin who has never done anything wrong in their life (besides murder).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

students running betting pools on who will win "sexiest teacher of the year" to buy oil fields which is all secretly a plot from the head honchos to gather which teachers have clout in the school. You know, usual college stuff.

:thunk:

Also I second the "Guess the Servant" video idea.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It's definitely something to look into, then. I've got a little more editing capability for my videos now to do that, and if I restrict it to servants that have come up during the LP discussion I think that's fairer. But that'll be something for towards the end of the LP if I remember (make me remember).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

But that'll be something for towards the end of the LP if I remember (make me remember).

Someone has to whisper "Remember the Servants" into RoboKy's ear three times before every dinner.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh, I forgot to mention it in my last post, but rest assured coolguye, the Clock Tower does not hide inside the Big Ben! It hides under the British Museum, obviously, gotta make use of all these stolen ancient artifacts.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oh, I forgot to mention it in my last post, but rest assured coolguye, the Clock Tower does not hide inside the Big Ben! It hides under the British Museum, obviously, gotta make use of all these stolen ancient artifacts.

at least there's some consistency i guess

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: Incoherent Yelling :siren:

Episode 16 - Berserker Banquet

It's clobberin' time! Or it will be once we get done with a bit of diversion activity with a few more (relatively) stable faces before plunging headfirst into a brawl in Yoshiwara, where we get to see what Rogue Berserker can really do. Boss is in fine form this episode, possibly some of his best shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Boss is indeed the best in the world. They should maje a game about him-oh, they did in Fate EXTRA CCC :v:

And Rogue Berserker is just a joy to play and cathartic after getting beat up by him. He's also really strong cause they gave him Super Amor so you're playing a walking wrecking ball.

But the best part of the episode was (don't look Coolguye) I actually lmfao irl when Coolguye made the chilli dog joke. Even if Rogue Lancer is kinda obvious thanks to that skill oopsie I don't know if Coolguye was aware of the joke he made :allears: