Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should I describe the difference between Magecraft and Magic, or would that be spoilers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I kinda already did in the first episode. It's very much the shortest explanation possible when I did it but honestly the game never goes into the big weird stuff like The Root and so forth.

You talk about the difference in methodology, my understanding is that the key difference is that Magecraft is the art of the possible whereas Magic does things that are explicitly impossible.
Magecraft will teleport you to another city. You could have walked there (or taken a ship etc). You didn’t, but you could have.
The Kaleidoscope will teleport you to places that don’t even exist.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So the servants are real bodies that can interact with the normies? Having never got into Fate/, I kinda figured servants were like Stands

They do what they want. But ‘being real’ and ‘doing things’ costs mana, which their summoner needs to be able to provide.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fate is a gacha game now. Waifus are compulsory.

(I mean they started well before that, but that's just Nasu)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Assuming of course they weren't an incomprehensible mess of violence before Mad Enhancement.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

One thing I've been wondering about Saber is why her sword has that wavy/flame-bladed motif. Isn't that primarily a thing with archipelagic SE Asia, eg the kalis or the keris?

Also central europe, though only for a relatively brief period.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

...that is actually a very valid application of the Rider class.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The phrase "when Grail Wars get out of hand" implies that they are at any point in-hand. This seems to be very rarely the case.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I’m surprised Boss is willing to let you actually buy things from him. Wouldn’t selling an item imply that it now belongs to you and not to him?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So it is an official mechanic that giving Aria a piggyback ride is faster than normal running?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC, a 'three-body sword' is one that has been tested to cut through three bodies in a single strike. Apocryphally this testing was conducted using criminals, it is much more likely that rolled tatami mats were used to simulate bodies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Certainly makes sense! Still not as impressive as "Boneless Human" though.

Yeah it's a good sword, an excellent sword even, but it's not a legendary sword. It's "a" three-body sword rather than "the" something-or-other.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He looks like a One Piece character.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

-While it might seem strange that Archer wouldn't recognize Servant Cao Cao right in front of him, it is not uncommon for Servants to look wildly different from how they looked in life, partly from a Servant usually only containing and highlighting certain aspects of a Hero's legend, and partly from being warped by later mythology distorting peoples' perception of them. There's some WILD looking Servants out there, which I won't give examples of in case they get selected for the Guess the Hero segment later.

I’m looking at YOU, Leonardo

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

if you're going to tell me vlad IS part of this franchise and DOESN'T make a lot of vampire jokes one way or another, i'm just gonna call you a loving liar.

His myth has turned him into a vampire and he loving hates that fact

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jeanne Dark?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

the actual ultimate rogue assassin is just joanna and she brings along the literal wallhack and self-aiming farsight rifle

everyone goes crying to boss because it's unfair

boss agrees but does nothing because the crying is funny

Is Doomguy an Archer or a Berserker?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Runa posted:

yes

the real answer is Servant classes are fake you just get summoned for whatever slot needs you and someone, somewhere, will bend the logic to make it fit somehow. Musashi famously wrote a book the one time, looking forward to seeing Caster Musashi somewhere down the line

"you are huge, that means you have huge guts"

that's a poem, a veritable classic of literature. congrats Caster Doomguy,

Also qualifies as a Sabre due to the chainsaw.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

Doing catchup:

Another funny thing about Casters is that, being usually better mages (or having similar abilities at least) than either the Master participants or even the organizers of whatever grail war is being fought, they're more often viewed as nuisances who are just going to cheat or break the contest than legitimate contestants.

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I've always felt these alliances are meant to end as either a) one party backstabs the other at the most convenient moment or b) the two allied Masters, after everyone else is dealt with, have a Pokémon battle to decide who wins.

Theoretically B, actually A.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Look, let's just be thankful that as far as we know, nobody chucked Zoroastrian Satan in the Grail and made it a limitless font of Evil Genie wishes and burning corrosive mud this time.

Nobody has chucked Zoroastrian Satan in the Grail and made it a limitless font of Evil Genie wishes and burning corrosive mud so far.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They really should be more careful with those things.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bear in mind that summoning servants is a gacha. You can use catalysts to try and influence the pull but ultimately you get whoever the Grail feels like giving you, as whatever class they need to be to make this War have a full set and no duplicates.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I guess that makes Grand Order the most accurate Fate game, then.

The main difference is that you only get one pull and there’s no mercy system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Note that Tsukihime, while broadly 'Nasuverse', takes place in a different 'branch' of reality than the FATE franchise. As I understand it (and please correct me) in Fate it is a fundamental truth of reality that Humans Are Important, which limits the power and importance of things like dead apostles (which still exist, they're just less important).