Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FractalSandwich posted:

Not knowing anything about this game or Fate in general: you can tell Saber's from a long time ago even by Edo standards just by looking at her. The sword on her back (not the one she fights with, which goes way off into fantasy land) is straight rather than curved, and I'm not an expert on historical Japanese fashion, but her clothes look much older to me, too. I noticed that right away, but I thought I might be reading too much into it. I always feel a little silly paying attention to details like that in a game with wizards and magical laser beams in it.

It's never really outright stated in-game but according to interviews with Nasu iirc Saber is nonbinary

I've noticed a lot of people assuming they're female from their appearance and voice but Saber's manner of speech is pretty masculine, and young men being voiced by women is pretty common in anime. No harm no foul as the ambiguity seems intended.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

By the way, Saber pacing around Iori at the beginning of episode 2 is a reference to the first episode of the Fate/Zero anime, where two characters similarly deliver exposition to another character about the rules of the Holy Grail War while pacing in a circle.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Quick and dirty Saber speech pattern analysis:

personal pronoun is "watashi" - technically gender neutral but leans feminine in casual speech since dudes tend to lean strongly into "boku" or "ore"
uses "kimi" to refer to "you" - gender neutral, indicates that the speaker believes themselves to be of equal or higher status than those spoken to
uses -zo as a sentence ender for emphasis - leans masculine iirc but not as much as -ze
uses some archaic word choices such as "yoi" instead of "ii" - meant to emphasize that Saber is from an older time period
I think Saber's general manner of speech is also indicative of nobility rather than samurai, as opposed to Iori's (and Yui's, incidentally) samurai speech style

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 19, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

On the Kaminarimon - the area is definitely still called Asakusa. Asakusa Station is literally a block away from that gate

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 22, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Everyone who plays FGO at that moment: Hell yeah!

Everyone else: Huh? What the gently caress?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

One small detail of note is that at the end of the previous episode, Takao Dayu spoke rather formally in a courtesan dialect. For this conversation, she's entirely dropped it and speaks casually.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Valgaav posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't actually mention Rogue Berserker's True Name during the mainline quest of the game at all...

They definitely do but it might be contingent on finishing all his sidestories

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jossar posted:

Funny that you guys talked about Makai Tensho, as the Fate universe has a pretty complete homage to it (in Fate/Grand Order), right down to the main villain wielding DARK JESUIT SORCERY. Pretty sure none of it's going to apply to this story directly though.

There is exactly one thing from that story that is relevant here and that is that Musashi was in it

Edit: FGO does not have Yagyu Jubei (yet...) but it does have his far less well-known father, who also appears in that story segment

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 5, 2024

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Be doubly careful as the FGO collab event with Fate/Samurai Remnant is coming out soon. They revealed the gacha lineup for the collab and it has a bunch of spoilers

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Runa posted:

Coolguy's two guesses thus far were the most natural one could have without context, I think

I think there's one very important bit of context that he missed that might get some more accurate guesses

In other news, as an FGO player I absolutely got triggered by the Saint Quartz showing up in Boss's shop. You can also see a Hassan mask and a model of Zhuge Liang's noble phantasm.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 20, 2024

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

That's very interesting. I think that use and the use by Touhou fans must have a common origin somewhere, because it's a very strange turn of phrase, and it's hard to imagine two different translators coming to it independently.

That origin is probably the original Fate/Stay Night fan translation 20 years ago

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Congrats to Coolguye on figuring out the Boss's identity

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I'm pretty sure MAT just stands for Magic Attack

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I would like to say that Bart is a fan of hair over eyes regardless of gender. His Valentine's gift to the player is a set of wigs with bangs that cover one eye, one for the female player and one for the male player

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

While this may be Caster's first direct appearance, he has shown up in another capacity already, which the astute viewer may have picked up on.

He's the narrator for the recap segments in between chapters.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

An important detail you missed out on the Servantverse is that not only Heroic Spirits can exist permanently as a Servant... EVERYONE is a Servant. Even the random Joe over there. Everyone is superhuman and can come back from death cause they're spirit beings. And the best part? According to Nasu's cosmology, this is one of humanity's good ends.The Star Wars parody is what we should strive for (because we got out of Mama Earth's basement and surpassed death).

On that topic, a funny detail about Calamity Jane is that despite coming from a joke verse, she's not that outlandish besides knowing how to operate a spaceship and being goofy. Her Noble Phantasm is Dead Man's Hand though from some reason, despite being a thing from another Wild West figure?

The Dead Man's Hand comes from Bill Hickock, who is alleged to have had a romance with Calamity Jane.

Servants borrowing powers from people linked with them is actually pretty commonplace in Fate.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 26, 2024

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

FGO's events are by far the peak of the Nasuverse's stupidity in all the best ways. The Servantverse has been detailed already, but other highlights include (and are not limited to):

-One of the team's Servants decides to put on the Worst Concert of All Time (from everyone else's perspective) for several years in a row. Against all sense and logic, this leads to her creating several clones of herself.
-Another one needs to replace their big superweapon due to it being stolen by herself. She decides that the best way to do this is to reenact the plot of Steel Ball Run. The plan fails largely because the weapon in question is kaiju-sized and there's nowhere to actually store the thing.
-The team is sent to investigate a singularity based around cheesy horror movies, causing one of their members to repeatedly die in the usual gratuitous ways (she gets better). The cause of this is eventually revealed to be one of the biggest simps in the history of the human race.
-Another time the team realizes something wrong when the head of one of their Servants goes missing. The Servant in question treats being stealth decapitated as a mild inconvenience at most. This is the opening scene to the event in question.
-The planet looks like it's about to be invaded by aliens, except it turns out to be the aforementioned Servantverse people who took a wrong turn at the Andromeda Galaxy, or something. All parties involved just decide to shrug and roll with it.

- Literally Comiket, in Hawaii. But with a 7 day timeloop until the protagonist's circle can make the best selling work at the convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

FGO is a game where Jeanne d'Arc can become an Archer by shooting dolphins, class rules are mere suggestions