Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Not knowing anything about this game or Fate in general: you can tell Saber's from a long time ago even by Edo standards just by looking at her. The sword on her back (not the one she fights with, which goes way off into fantasy land) is straight rather than curved, and I'm not an expert on historical Japanese fashion, but her clothes look much older to me, too. I noticed that right away, but I thought I might be reading too much into it. I always feel a little silly paying attention to details like that in a game with wizards and magical laser beams in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yeah, it's this, actually.

i heard roboky use 'they' early on, and the first few times i used 'she' in an attempt to see if he would switch pronouns on me. he didn't, denying me the data point. that was a conscious experiment on my part.

of course, by the time i was sure he wasn't going to switch, it became obvious that Saber identifies with food more than any gender and would probably put down pronouns as "any/all/what the gently caress are you talking about" and i keep using 'she' because the voice actress has a very feminine voice.
Historically accurate. Japanese didn't have a gendered third-person pronoun until the 19th century.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

My biggest fear has been demonstration videos of Saber in FGO True Naming the hell out of them for the audience being listed in the recommendations (and more when the collab event kicks off sometime in the next week or so). Said host of the DLC is getting introduced next video, at least!
Yeah. I haven't had any trouble with recommendations on the LP videos specifically, but think I saw Saber's True Name somewhere else the other day, in a video title from someone whose non-FGO-related stuff I've watched before. Unfortunate but unavoidable. I can't be too salty about it.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 12, 2024

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The inscriptions on the dousojin just say "dousojin". Sounds goofy, but not unusual in real life, from what I can see online. In fact, the model in-game looks like it might be based specifically on one of the photos on Wikipedia.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is translating the word 結界 kekkai as "bounded field" rather than the more natural "barrier" an established thing in Fate? The only other place I've ever seen that is in dodgy Touhou fan-translations from like 10 years ago.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

As far as I'm aware it is, or at least it's how they do it in FGO and I don't recall for the other stuff.
That's very interesting. I think that use and the use by Touhou fans must have a common origin somewhere, because it's a very strange turn of phrase, and it's hard to imagine two different translators coming to it independently.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tarezax posted:

That origin is probably the original Fate/Stay Night fan translation 20 years ago
That was my first thought, but that seems like a weird thing for a later, official translation to intentionally preserve. It also sounds like the kind of English a Japanese writer might make up to sound cool, so I thought it could even be from the original original text of Fate/Stay Night.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
There's definitely some artistic license involved in the foreign quarter here. As far as I know, historically, the only European settlement in Japan at this time was Dejima, in Nagasaki, which was tiny, and made of wood. In fact, I don't think "Yokosuka" is even a period name for this place. But from an alternate-history fantasy point of view, it makes perfect sense, especially if Dorothea has some kind of deal with and/or leverage over the shogunate.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've been bamboozled! I knew just enough about Fate to know it has a different Jeanne d'Arc in it, so I assumed this had to be someone else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

The fight just makes me think that FGO should get a bullet hell spin off.

Also I was wondering how they going to deal with "There can only be one" when Iori was getting chummy with people.
I guess it's an alternate history anyway, but from a real-world point of view, Zheng in particular sure can't die here. He has a date with a mosquito in the Philippines.