Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
For what it’s worth, don’t worry about anything you’re being abundantly cautious and putting in spoiler tags, I’m going to flatly refuse to read anything that’s blacked out.

One of the only patterns I have managed to draw from the memes about fate is that things are weird in it. Put on your hat because we are all mad down here. Which would absolutely explain why Roboky would want to show it to me like this because it’s an entire THING on a lot of media that runs through our discord that I will scent what’s happening long before it does by virtue of just reading a lot of stories and understanding narrative moors.

While I am sure the series follows a lot of those moors, it’s also quite clear it does whatever the gently caress it wants a lot of times. So I’m certain I’m going to get bamboozled and turned around a lot because it’s just doing whatever the gently caress it wants.

And you know what that’s okay that’s good it’s healthy to get bamboozled sometimes

I say, furiously hoping you do not realize how dumb I actually am behind my forced smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the root of all dongs

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

gonna be honest, i heard something about the kaledioscope and now i've been thinking about the telescope in FF14 that lets you take an elevator into the center of the earth to talk to gaia

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Valgaav posted:

I find it interesting that Coolguye refers to Saber as 'she' while Roboky seems to use 'they'. If Anime has taught me anything, it's to assume that anyone gender-ambiguous in media is a guy.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm obfuscating like a CHAMPION.

yeah, it's this, actually.

i heard roboky use 'they' early on, and the first few times i used 'she' in an attempt to see if he would switch pronouns on me. he didn't, denying me the data point. that was a conscious experiment on my part.

of course, by the time i was sure he wasn't going to switch, it became obvious that Saber identifies with food more than any gender and would probably put down pronouns as "any/all/what the gently caress are you talking about" and i keep using 'she' because the voice actress has a very feminine voice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the gendering came through before that in suffixes and usage. when it gets down to it japanese is a pretty sharply gendered language, and unlike many other languages that have gender threaded through it very heavily (like german), all of those gender attributions are incredibly impactful on all levels.

pronouns in the way english-speakers think of them were just not that important in japanese until relatively recently, when mass communications started making it relevant.

i haven't been listening THAT closely to Saber's word choice because she's got a tendency to talk really fast in many situations and i'm actually pretty bad at japanese. i pick up on more of iori's statements because he's pretty clearly written to be a brooding type - he rarely uses two words when one will do. which has the side effect of making his language pretty gender-neutral. i suspect this was part of the point.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 19, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

roboky and i did an episode recently that is so much of an infodump on those sorts of specifics that the game visibly goes from midday to evening to nighttime as it goes on.

ultimately iori is even more clueless than even new people to the FATE franchise than you could hope to be so he'll be asking a lot of questions like that.

e: to be clear, i'm not suggesting that folks don't bother asking or hold off. you're here to chat, so chat. it's more to say "you're not alone here."

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 20, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Runa posted:

I know Coolguy's stumbled onto people posting pics and memes of Fate Musashi on discord in the past but never with any context (because most of the people already familiar with Fate wouldn't need that extra context) so basically, CG just saw a vaguely familiar pink-haired swordswoman wearing probably more clothes than he's ever seen her in, given the popularity of her summer bikini costume, and his brain had about five seconds to catch up before he realized what just happened.

i generally treat the fate stuff in the time warriors discord somewhat like i treat vtuber stuff - it's a massive world that i have no understanding of so it passes through my brain with barely a whisper.

granted, i did have a vague memory of the giant loving smile that FATE musashi is apparently famous for, but no way was i agile enough to put all that together in the short time i had.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They really do nail mannerisms of speech and action in this game really well, having Coolguye around to point out the Japanese word usage/context is enhancing my re-experience.
it's as surprising to me as anyone else that their word choices are generally simple enough that even i can pick it up. not to belabor the point that i've mentioned in the LP once already, but i am not fluent in Japanese, nor am I even really that good at it. I have, generously, a 2nd or 3rd grader's understanding and usage of it.

If I pick up on something, the writers put enough thought into that point that they really wanted you to notice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fortunately i don't use the internet

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mostly just dismissed it as "sleeping and eating actually feel really good so you'd do it even if it wasn't strictly required"

i know i would

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

Funny that you guys talked about Makai Tensho, as the Fate universe has a pretty complete homage to it (in Fate/Grand Order), right down to the main villain wielding DARK JESUIT SORCERY. Pretty sure none of it's going to apply to this story directly though.

roboky and i had a great time a few days ago talking about DARK JESUIT CONSPIRACIES including one where they allegedly sank the titanic in collaboration with Jay Pierpont Morgan in order to murder 3 guys and start world war 1

i look forward to jesuit shenanigans coming up more often tbh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

glocknar posted:

I never knew that this was a thing, and my day is much more entertaining now that I do know :allears:

oh my god it's so loving good dude

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesuit_conspiracy_theories#Sinking_the_Titanic

quote:

The theory includes the claim that Captain Edward Smith was a "Jesuit temporal coadjutor".[28] The "accidental sinking" was arranged by having Smith's "Jesuit master", Father Francis Browne, board the Titanic and order Smith to run his ship at full speed through an ice field on a moonless night, ignoring any ice warnings including those from the lookouts, with the purpose of hitting an iceberg severely enough to cause the ship to founder and the three businessmen to drown.

to clarify the vocabulary word, a coadjutor is basically the vice-bishop of a diocese. they help out doing bishop things and are the designated successor if the bishop dies. "temporal", for religious contexts, means that the person involved has the position because they hold some other, usually more secular, position. something like "you're the holy roman emperor, so also you're functionally a cardinal in the church."

so apparently this utterly psychotic theory is that Captain Smith was, by virtue of being Captain, a Jesuit vice-bishop, and his superior, someone who was very much NOT a bishop, ordered him to do a disaster purely so the jesuits could murder 3 bankers who were in the way of JP Morgan's globalist banking philosophy. their elimination allowed for the creation of the Federal Reserve Bank (which the House of Morgan fiercely resisted) and allowed them to incite WW1 in order to weaken government institutions and suborn them to banks.

roboky and i laughed about it for 15 full minutes before a recording session once.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

I'm glad you took the time to define "temporal coadjutor" because given the nature of conspiracy theories, at first blush it looked like they were suggesting that the Jesuits have Time-Cops at their disposal to cause historically relevent disasters

when they say "human excellence", they also mean removing the human trash

ST. FRANCIS XAVIER: DEMOLITION MAN EDITION

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Aria looks like she is eternally stoned.

this may or may not be a cornerstone of the jokes i make her expense going forward

really though i'm a pretty big fan of the balance aria has been striking in the upcoming episodes. she's annoying as hell on a hundred levels, but she's actually extremely helpful in her own right. so i can make a bunch of mean jokes about her and then immediately have a reason to forgive her and not stay mad.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Boss is going to be a bit of an odyssey for me

I can only promise that you will be entertained because gently caress my life

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

I look forward to Coolguy's reaction when he finally guesses the identity of Boss.

you should

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Ah Mysterious Heroine X, the objectively best Saberface by virtue of wanting to murder all the others.

But does their S-Blade have a hack blood charge

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

So it is an official mechanic that giving Aria a piggyback ride is faster than normal running?

if she's forcibly following you for whatever reason it's definitely going to be faster than waiting for the space cadet to get the lead out

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i was trying to torture out a Johnny Cash joke when people were talking about this earlier and couldn't make it land, bless you for making it land visually

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I was seriously considering writing a paragraph talking about Coolguye's efforts that also spelled out Boss' name with every capital letter, but there was no way I could figure out how to make it work without it being complete nonsense.

roboky was correct anyway in that i was already thinking about it, i just psyched myself out because the drat shop's name immediately made me think of someone completely unrelated.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

Well, obviously you guys have to switch to having Lancer sing a country-western song about French vocabulary, like this one about English phonetics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r-JgYecMac

And figured I might as well get out my congratulations on figuring Boss out along with everyone else. Was debating on waiting for next episode once you hear all about him, but I suppose that will be its own adventure.

oh trust me now that it's out in the open both Roboky and i have **lots** to say about the historical figure that is Boss.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The historical side of it is pretty interesting in seeing how it all developed, while the dramatization of it is really great cause it makes everyone fairly compelling characters with extremely distinct motivations. Liu Bei loving SUCKS.

also this yes. the historical side of the Three Kingdoms period is amazing, and the dramatization is equally as amazing, for completely separate reasons. the moors of chinese storytelling at the time make it very natural for Liu Bei to be the "good guy", and for Cao Cao to be the "bad guy", when really from a modern western perspective, closer to the opposite is true.

not that Cao Cao is a "good guy" in the modern western trope, either. he's a very complex man both historically and dramatically, and ultimately there's a reason his dynasty didn't last beyond his son. we touched on very similar dynamics both in this LP and the Nioh one with regard to Oda Nobunaga. there's a LOT of thematic parallels between the two men the more you read about them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The logic checks out.

Cao Cao might be one of the funniest sneaky bastards I've ever read about. The man's capacity for shenanigans was endless, but Zhou Yu's ability to see right through him was also extremely impressive and the pay-off shows quite dramatically.

The most recent Three Kingdoms live action show (the 2010 one) had an absolute master thespian playing Cao Cao for showing off his sneaky impishness.

The just total perfection of the summit with Yuan Shao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwhDrYfKSj8

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 2, 2024

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yep, I rolled my eyes at it because the old VNs like that are such a staggering undertaking and I didn't see an upside to doing it when the Fate franchise already had so much support they DIDN'T have to pay for from fans. There's lots of reasons to go back and do it regardless, but if your goal is money, it wouldn't even be in your top 5 things to do. Maybe not even your top 10.

And, well, here we are. I'd be dramatic about it, but if the universe keeps wanting to prove me wrong on my thorny cynicism I'll keep up the curmudgeonly streak for the good of humanity. I'm enjoying the precepts of this game enough that I'm pretty liable to pick up FSN when it comes out, though that depends on what else is going on in my life when it does.

Actually, while we're on the topic, does anyone have an approximate word count for FSN? I kinda want to compare it to Umineko, which I am... still rather enjoying being dragged through from a setbuilding perspective, but the sheer deluge of WORDS in that loving thing makes me want to stab myself sometimes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

And a sight less than Umineko, which is 1.1 million.

That said, at that many words, I'll admit to being pretty suspicious. It's one thing if you have a lot to say and a lot of ground to cover. It's entirely another if you just stand there and spend 10 words every time 1 would've done alright. That's the primary bone to pick that I have ended up with on Umineko - it's got quite good stagecraft, but the writer is so windy that important and impactful scenes are routinely ruined by the characters' complete inability to say something once, rather than 4 times.

War and Peace is 580k words, for a fiction-to-fiction comparison. I'll need to do some sampling of FSN to check what I'm getting into before I commit too heavily, I think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

is that 820k mark the revised one or the original? H-scenes are, you know, lurid in every sense of the term by necessity. Even if there's only an occasional one, at a work that size that's probably -50k words right there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah the route discussion is a VERY critical piece of information when the comparison at hand is Umineko. I appreciate it!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Certainly makes sense! Still not as impressive as "Boneless Human" though.

i was always amused by equating it very loosely to the khazalid language from warhammer fantasy, and there's that huge to-do about a piece of equipment being kazakgnol, i think was the translation. old and battle-tested was the entire jist of the term.

the similarities keep coming up the more you look at it and think about it. swords in japan got hit doubly by the expense hammer - the basic iron was expensive because Japan is pretty mineral-poor, and trade was frequently disrupted by the government. then, precisely because the iron was rare, the methods of forging it were really heavy on the smith's labor and you didn't have the big, expensive forges that developed in Germany and France. there wasn't a good reason to develop them.

there's very little scaling that happens here, and consequently, you're liable to be stuck with this same sword for a long, long time. so there's a real, and very important question: are you wielding kazakgnol, or umgak?

then iori goes on another sword maintenance session and it's like man even if he WAS swinging umgak, the spirit in the sword would keep him going out of pure stubbornness at how well he looks after it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dear god, i'm gorgeous

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that more or less works in my mind because Chrissy C historically was the age of sail version a blockchain rear end in a top hat. like if you do a find/replace on their stump speech of "NFTs" with "spices" or "gold" and "blockchains" with "new horizons" you more or less have the actually unhinged manic rants that Columbus was known to give any crowned head who would let him into their court. and i do mean actually unhinged because as far as people can tell he was probably some flavor of actual diagnosable narcissist or some other incredibly impactful mental disruption, on top of being just a good old fashioned amoral colonizer.

modern biographies of him are a loving trip and a half to read. blackbeard was more comfortable to read because at least they treated him like the awful person he was in the moment. columbus mostly got bounced at the door for being an insane weirdo, but after he actually found crimes to do people joined in rather than hung him.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

Rogue Archer is a pretty interesting dude, but I suppose we'll be waiting for quite a while to talk about his true identity.

Agree with most of the talk about Columbus about how F/GO did an excellent job of making him simultaneously have many admirable character traits while also being a complete scumbag. His artist also rocks super hard, and it's a shame they don't have him working on more stuff. See for example:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fategrandorder/images/f/f7/CE1651.webp/revision/latest?cb=20230312120825

The beard is completely out of control and I wouldn’t have it any other way

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention it in my last post, but rest assured coolguye, the Clock Tower does not hide inside the Big Ben! It hides under the British Museum, obviously, gotta make use of all these stolen ancient artifacts.

at least there's some consistency i guess

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

I was trying to remember if vampires are even still a thing in this timeline, until I remembered that the thing that cancels them out in certain universes with Servants won't happen for a few hundred years anyway. Stay on the lookout for haunting spirits, Iori!

if you're going to tell me vlad isn't part of this franchise at some point, i'll press x to doubt

if you're going to tell me vlad IS part of this franchise and DOESN'T make a lot of vampire jokes one way or another, i'm just gonna call you a loving liar.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

NullBlack posted:

Clearly, Rogue Berserker is the Dovahkiin, given his ability to Fus-Ro-Dah, and inability to speak aloud.

I'm struck by the fact that Rogue Berserker's literally floor-length hair wasn't mentioned as a clue to his identity. It's long enough to drag on the ground.
it was something i noted but we had enough else to talk about that i didn't really get to saying it. i stand by my initial guess of agamemnon simply because bear of a man with a soft spot for beautiful woman is, well... a COMMON theme in history, but those move names were about as much of a giveaway as Rogue Lancer's.

rogue berserker just has the benefit of being theorycrafted before i came to the decision that me throwing darts at a board was probably going to ruin it for other folks, though, so i'm free to spit it out when i notice these changes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Lest we forget Aria's primary Rider reason is just that she likes being carried.

i hate this

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the actual ultimate rogue assassin is just joanna and she brings along the literal wallhack and self-aiming farsight rifle

everyone goes crying to boss because it's unfair

boss agrees but does nothing because the crying is funny

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I… like this???

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Since his shotgun doubles as a grappling hook Doomguy can also be a rider.

he rides the rocket launcher (rocket jumps)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

David Ryder gets some weird aliases in this sequel to space mutiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I was laughing at Coolguye calling Odysseus a wife guy because, while IRL there are versions of the Odyssey that have Odysseus have children with both Circe and Calypso, in Fate Odysseus was effectively a Wife Guy. So much one of his skills is being a Wife Guy and thus immune to being charmed by anyone.

Also eat your kykeon, Coolguye