Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
As somebody who used to be a really big Fate fan but has been out of the loop for a few years, this seems like a fun way to get back into it. Will be watching with interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Funny that you guys talked about Makai Tensho, as the Fate universe has a pretty complete homage to it (in Fate/Grand Order), right down to the main villain wielding DARK JESUIT SORCERY. Pretty sure none of it's going to apply to this story directly though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah Iori, might want to keep just a little bit of distance from that one, they can get a little bit obsessively attached.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Glad that Boss is showing off his nicer side in this game, given that he can vary... wildly across the franchise.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, definitely a real cluster at the end there.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

I appreciate that Heroic Spirits are these mighty, worldly, unflappable beings, but I feel like underneath the hypercompetent living legend facade a lot of them in situations like this are thinking "oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo, who the gently caress is this new rear end in a top hat, wait there are people that can DO that!? I am so screwed oh my god"

I mean, if you came back as a magic ghost version of yourself, you'd still basically be you, right?

(I'm aware that it's more complicated than that for Heroic Spirits, but it's still mostly true, barring all of Fate's little exceptions.)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Oh Archer, one would think that you'd be used to serving under hot-blooded Masters who charge blindly forward with complete overconfidence in their own strength by now. :allears:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Well, obviously you guys have to switch to having Lancer sing a country-western song about French vocabulary, like this one about English phonetics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r-JgYecMac

And figured I might as well get out my congratulations on figuring Boss out along with everyone else. Was debating on waiting for next episode once you hear all about him, but I suppose that will be its own adventure.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Coolguye posted:

The most recent Three Kingdoms live action show (the 2010 one) had an absolute master thespian playing Cao Cao for showing off his sneaky impishness.

The just total perfection of the summit with Yuan Shao.

Knew what the scene was gonna be even before I clicked the link, it's such a modern classic.

But yeah, the best Assassins tend to be the ones which are really good at killing people, especially when isolated, even if they can't hide it particularly well.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Hunt11 posted:

Going by reddit it has 820,595 words so longer then the king james bible.

Or half the wordcount of your average longrunner webnovel these days.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Unfortunately, Fate does have a lot of words in it for the sake of words, especially when it comes to magibabble. This is not be helped by F/SN's narrator (Emiya Shirou) being in the same position as Iori where he knows the vaguest hints of the magical part of the setting but needs to have everything in any kind of detail explained to him at length.

It is really good, but it also follows the old joke about RPG writers making a game so they can tell you about their campaign setting. At least this one is based on the revised version that doesn't have the h-scenes any more, so you don't have to suffer through those.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 3, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The earliest claims I could find were from 11-12 years ago... which is still post-Realta Nua release. So no real way to tell. :shrug: My guess is that a bunch of incidental extra stuff was added in the new versions so the word count remains roughly the same.

sirtommygunn's right that a bunch of this is obfuscated from repeated segments, but now that I think about it, the biggest thing that nobody's talked about is that the game is split along three different routes, so it's more like three very closely related 250k novels stacked together in a trench coat than a single 750k novel, if that helps.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

What a senseless drubbing you gave to Lancer! You're barely even human!

Sadly the Carnival Phantasm skits are a little too spoilerific to post, even under black bars, but suffice to say, Lancer's seen much worse.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Rogue Archer is a pretty interesting dude, but I suppose we'll be waiting for quite a while to talk about his true identity.

Agree with most of the talk about Columbus about how F/GO did an excellent job of making him simultaneously have many admirable character traits while also being a complete scumbag. His artist also rocks super hard, and it's a shame they don't have him working on more stuff. See for example:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fategrandorder/images/f/f7/CE1651.webp/revision/latest?cb=20230312120825

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I was trying to remember if vampires are even still a thing in this timeline, until I remembered that the thing that cancels them out in certain universes with Servants sort of won't happen for a few hundred years anyway. Stay on the lookout for haunting spirits, Iori!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 22, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Coolguye posted:

if you're going to tell me vlad isn't part of this franchise at some point, i'll press x to doubt

if you're going to tell me vlad IS part of this franchise and DOESN'T make a lot of vampire jokes one way or another, i'm just gonna call you a loving liar.

Amazingly enough, has nothing to do with Dracula at all!

I'm almost certainly botching the specifics on this, but it's something about how mainline Fate universes don't contain full vampiric "nobility" at least in part because the Count of Monte Cristo (who is real) became such a chuuni edgelord that he punched the concept out of existence while beating one up. Also because the Human Order is stronger, but that's less fun. Vampires themselves still exist either way though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 22, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, definitely refreshing that given how popular she is in her F/GO form they were willing to make her what F/SR needed her to be instead.

Also, given your discussion on Three Kingdoms servants who appear as Casters in F/GO, it's neat that they've also started branching out towards some of the ones a bit less associated with the main factions, like Yellow Turban Rebellion leader Zhang Jue.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I agree that "whatever you fit as is technically good enough for you to be summoned" is a thing, but Doomguy's most probable summon in a standard Holy Grail War is dependent on a combination of his feats in life and general public perception of him, so given the collective consciousness of humanity he's an Archer most of the time.

The real summoning question is whether the admiration of millions of gamers is enough for him to overcome the hurdles of being from video games and the modern day, both of which are greatly tanking his Mystery.

EDIT: Although I have just been made aware of the following... https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/write

quote:

From Middle English writen, from Old English wrītan, from Proto-West Germanic *wrītan, from Proto-Germanic *wrītaną (“to carve, write”), from Proto-Indo-European *wrey- (“to rip, tear”).

Cognate with West Frisian write (“to wear by rubbing, rip, tear”), Dutch wrijten (“to argue, quarrel”), Middle Low German wrîten (“to scratch, draw, write”) (> Low German wrieten, rieten (“to tear, split”)), German reißen (“to tear, rip”), Norwegian rita (“to rough-sketch, carve, write”), Swedish rita (“to draw, design, delineate, model”), Icelandic rita (“to cut, scratch, write”), German ritzen (“to carve, scratch”), Proto-Slavic *ryti (“to carve, engrave, dig”), Polish ryć (“to engrave, dig”), Czech rýt (“to engrave, dig”). See also rit and rat.

So to be a writer really does mean "one who rips and tears". Congratulations, Caster Doomguy.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

If by Odysseus "having a real way with women" you mean showing off his cleavage at the slightest opportunity, then yes. Yes he does.