Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

External Organs posted:

Did ToTK win nothing...? Lol

They won best action-adventure which was basically the biggest "you're not winning the real prize" nod of the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

fadam posted:

I'm pumped for the new Mana game.

One of the standouts of the show for me. Trials of Mana was good but also so faithful to the SNES original that it was kind of limited in scope, looking forward to a modern Mana game on a larger scale.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

External Organs posted:

I think it won Best Adventure game

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

External Organs posted:

Best Action/Adventure, a solid consolation prize

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

But Zelda won something unfortunately

I mean, the game that would have won literally everything BG3 won if BG3 didn't come out winning a pretty big award sounds normal to me.

Maybe i'm not contrarian enough

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

BabyRyoga posted:

I mean, the game that would have won literally everything BG3 won if BG3 didn't come out winning a pretty big award sounds normal to me.

Except Best Multiplayer. (how did BG3 win that one again?)

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

External Organs posted:

It got best action-adventure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

One of the standouts of the show for me. Trials of Mana was good but also so faithful to the SNES original that it was kind of limited in scope, looking forward to a modern Mana game on a larger scale.

it's a testament to how good their art team is that i saw the first 5 seconds of that trailer and immediately thought "new mana game"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Snooze Cruise posted:

TGA and E3 is always fun to watch because i see all the trailers for new stuff and most of the time i am like "do i even like video games even more?" and then the rest of the year i am like "wow this is the best year for gaming ever!"

does a good job of correctly calibrating my expectations.

I had this exact same reaction about 2 hours in.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BabyRyoga posted:

It would also have won everything if it and BG3's release dates were swapped but the games were still exactly the same. Recency bias plays big into award shows.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

On The Internet posted:

Except Best Multiplayer. (how did BG3 win that one again?)

How did GOW Ragnarok win Best Soundtrack/Music last year?

There always seems to be a few smaller category awards that are swept away by the currents of games being bigger than other games that do those things better.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Sydin posted:

It would also have won everything if it and BG3's release dates were swapped but the games were still exactly the same. Recency bias plays big into award shows.

Completely disagree, bg3 could have released 1st January this year and taken goty it was obviously going to take it.

I'm not even sure totk was winning if bg3 didn't come out this year, I think AW2 would have got in ahead of it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

1glitch0 posted:

I had this exact same reaction about 2 hours in.

All the real gamers are excited for Exoprimalforce(?)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

All the real gamers are excited for Exoprimalforce(?)

It'd be like watching 3 hours of action movie trailers back to back to back. You start to question what a movie even is and if it's just the same long movie.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

anapurna bought best indie debut for a game no one has ever heard of

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

anapurna bought best indie debut for a game no one has ever heard of
cocoon was on game pass, that's where i played it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm looking forward to it. I'm also glad they did a remaster of legend so I could see people's baffled reaction to the game because it's so loving weird

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What a stacked year good lord.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
wasnt cocoon made by the limbo/inside guys? not really a "debut"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So is game awards the new E3

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For real tho it's wild that a person like ironmouse who got CVID and had her opera singer career ruined by being confined to a clean room and bedridden, found a path to success despite being a bubble person and has been huge in getting funding to help research CVID and has done tons of charity work and spotlights on small creators. And now she won this award. crazy

I don't have much time to watch her anymore beyond clips but she's definitely deserving of the award. I personally thought People Make Games would take it, and that would be perfectly fine too, but Ironmouse has done genuinely good work too, as well as being an entertaining gremlin person.

Loved the larian dude going up in full plate armor. Apparently it got shipped on a separate plane and almost didn't make it in time for him to wear it lol

A lot of the sci fi trailers looked great. That super fast virtual on-ish mecha game looks great. That one with the giant Buddha mech with high heels looked interesting. I really want ZAU to show up on steam so I can wishlist it.

I am super excited for Monster Hunter World 2, I hope it's not super jumpy like Rise.

That was a fantastic show overall. Except pizza tower got turbosnubbed.

However apparently the pizza tower devs responded to not winning the award with "mamma mia!" which lol

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

fadam posted:

Lots of cool stuff, but a good chunk of the middle all blends together in my memory, lots of just stark, grey sci-fi shooting games. I'm pumped for the new Mana game.

Every year seems to have a theme with its trailers and last year it was somber post apocalyptic AAA open worlds with overgrown ruins. Wonder what the theme will be next year

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like the winners did not get enough time up on stage, and some of the big categories got just quick shoutouts for winners, was really frustrating. The Award Show should be a big focus on you know... awards, and then do another show that is just for game announcements. Because like, this show was too long for one, poorly paced, and just the selection of what was advertised and shown, was kinda really bad. So many mobile / free to play games, many of which have been out for years and dont need people to know about them at this point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Steve Yun posted:

So is game awards the new E3
yeah

I said come in! posted:

I feel like the winners did not get enough time up on stage, and some of the big categories got just quick shoutouts for winners, was really frustrating. The Award Show should be a big focus on you know... awards, and then do another show that is just for game announcements. Because like, this show was too long for one, poorly paced, and just the selection of what was advertised and shown, was kinda really bad. So many mobile / free to play games, many of which have been out for years and dont need people to know about them at this point.
this was probably the biggest problem I had. Lots of rushing the actual people in lieu of ads, and tons of awards that got shotgunned with no people on stage. How many awards got actual time on stage, like 8 or 10?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

the awards show is a set that they can hang ads on. That's the entire purpose of the show even if Geoff pretends it's something else.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ymgve posted:

the studio itself was new and i think it'd be weird to punish the rest of the studio because the lead designer had made other indie games

it's also relatively consistent. they nominated Donut County in 2018 despite Ben Esposito being lead designer on Tattletail, and having worked with the Arcane Kidz on Sonic Dreams Collection. all the show cares about is whether the credited developer is 'new' regardless of that developer's makeup

i mean they fell hook line and sinker for Dave the Diver as an 'indie' game so that's the level of research they're doing anyway

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

the studio itself was new and i think it'd be weird to punish the rest of the studio because the lead designer had made other indie games

it's also relatively consistent. they nominated Donut County in 2018 despite Ben Esposito being lead designer on Tattletail, and having worked with the Arcane Kidz on Sonic Dreams Collection. all the show cares about is whether the credited developer is 'new' regardless of that developer's makeup

It's not an anti-indie show either, Nexon got a ton of stuff shown despite being a small indie studio

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Too many of these trailers cut to a new scene every half second. Maybe it's because I'm old, but I hated that. Any trailer that actually was willing to show something consistently for more than three seconds was a relief.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ultimately indie game developers care more about, you know, people buying their games so they don't starve, than awards. awards can raise some visibility but as you saw tonight, they rushed through the Best Indie Game award with the same speed as Best eSports Coach. so none of those games got any real visibility

probably the thing that has provided indie developers with the best exposure-to-sales ratio has been the Steam Next Fests, and the next one of those is in February

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
When they were handing out awards in the preshow I thought "oh well, that's a bit stupid but it probably means they won't have to do those awful rapid fire handouts during the actual show". Silly me!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Bg3 has incredible multiplayer, people really gotta give it a go cause it sounds pretty uninspiring on paper but plays incredibly

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

When they were handing out awards in the preshow I thought "oh well, that's a bit stupid but it probably means they won't have to do those awful rapid fire handouts during the actual show". Silly me!

tip for next year - don't have that woman who does the preshow tell jokes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

ymgve posted:

Yeah on one hand it's not really a debut, on the other hand it was an incredible game that should be recognized, so I'm torn.

But if Cyberpunk 2077 can win "best ongoing game" and BG3 can win "best multiplayer" then all the rules are out the window!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vermain posted:

very few games have ever deserved it as much as BG3 did, just a top-to-bottom classic. hard to even imagine what the CRPG that's going to eventually dethrone it will look like

Pillars of Eternity 3: We Lived, Bitch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ymgve posted:

I think the lead left and made a new company for cocoon, guessing that’s what let them fit the rules

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I wonder how many people in the audience last year were laid off

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Way too long as usual but really good surprises in there and happy with the winners. Only felt like Lies of Pi maybe deserved the win for art design.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Grapplejack posted:

It's not an anti-indie show either, Nexon got a ton of stuff shown despite being a small indie studio

Every trailer spot costs a shitton of money. It is highly, highly favored to companies with a broad marketing budget.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Peppino Spaghetti does not wear an apron, he wears a white tank top. That is an imposter.