Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

MononcQc posted:

look, I took an outrageous stance to get the discussion going and I don't truly believe this, but let's see if we can argue our way out of a paper bag, because that's what this semantics and pedantry is for.

more of a comment than a question, but it does seem as though semantics and pedantry are actually wonderful if you want to confine arguments into ever-smaller and less productive paper bags. Like, a great stance to take if your language game is to nominally agree to play some larger language game, but your actual aim is to frustrate all other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Beeftweeter posted:

lol hmm elon musk has made me hate the phrase "from first principles"

echinopsis posted:

I don’t really know what it means when people say this

I have been intrigued to find out

in an educational context, it can certainly mean something like

"I intend to explain this topic starting with a thorough treatment of the concepts upon which it rests; if my audience is prepared for the treatment of the foundational topics, they will come away with a strong, primary grasp on my main topic."

in the life of a physics student (possibly some math or engineering students) it can mean something like

"I can't for the life of me remember all of the possible equations that I might need to use, but I do remember enough of the *derivations* of those equations that, when I need them on an exam, I can re-derive them from fundamental laws and domain-specific constraints or assumptions."

in a professional STEM problem solving context, it means something sort of like the above, but maybe more like

"I don't have the typical background knowledge of other people working in this field, but I'm going to see if I can use multiple elements of my background knowledge and my synthetic and/or analytical skills to put together an understanding possibly as good, perhaps with different nuances, from others who learned this stuff in school or early in their professional life. "

for anything related to politics, society, etc as used by musk it's essentially screaming

"I THINK I'M THE SPECIALEST EPISTEMIC TRESPASSER! I KNOW I'M NOT AN EXPERT AND THAT'S GREAT BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW EXPERTS ARE CORRUPT, DECEITFUL, DEVIOUS, AND STUPID"

As someone who enjoyed hearing it in an educational context and employed the strategies as a physics student and a STEM worker, I am dismayed that Elon Musk uses it to describe his "theories" about politics etc.

Silver Alicorn posted:

they mean figuring it out themselves without listening to experts who are in the pocket of big government
:hmmyes:

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

everyone who's done what you want to do before is a loving idiot and can't be trusted and since you're so much smarter than everyone else (and especially them) you're going to start from scratch for everything and invent a better wheel that sometimes catches on fire
:hmmyes:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
paging sagebrush, requesting reflections on the use of the phrase, "from first principles"

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

fart simpson posted:

nope this is just word games. the point is that people have different, fundamental interests that sometimes conflict in irreconcilable ways. in those situations you can’t really “agree” because what’s good for you is not good for me

right, agreement between person P and person Q on some matter X:
  • goes from (in principle) easy to (in practice) impossible
  • depending on how compatible or incompatible P and Q’s interests and values are
  • and whether X is anodyne or controversial given the interests and values (whether compatible or contradictory in whole or part) of P and Q

terms and conditions apply but I think this not a terrible nor overly labored elaboration of fart simpson’s point. and his statement explains a fundamental (radical? should I say?) cause of many thorny disagreements

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
The binary byte units and their abbreviations (mebibyte, gibibyte, etc and MiB GiB etc) are a principled way to say “I know some people measure bytes the wrong way, but not me.”

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Salt Fish posted:

Just because you put the letters M-E-G-A into a word doesn't mean its an SI prefix. For example, the megazord is not built out of 1 million other zords.

:golfclap:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
in the ostensibly very technically accurate novel, “The Martian”, the protagonist has more hydrogen than he needs and is thinking about how to make water. He then fails a high school chemistry problem.

The Martian posted:

Anyway, the reserve oxygen would only be enough to make 100 liters of water (50 liters of [liquid] O2 makes 100 liters of molecules that only have one O each).

Why is he wrong? He’s doing volume calculations without considering density. Mass is conserved in these reactions, volume is not. 100L of water weighs 100kg, of which about 89kg is oxygen. 50L of liquid O2 (1.14 g/ml) weighs about 57kg, so fully reacted with hydrogen it could make up about 64kg of water.

The “factor of two” between O2 and H2O is entirely irrelevant spurious.

Echi’s fellow pharmacists failing to do calculations reminded me of this.

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 11, 2023

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
To take the given numbers, arrange them in what seems to be the most plausible calculation, and get an answer is a true classic of mislearned math (and especially physical calculation) problem solving skills.

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 11, 2023

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

MononcQc posted:

It can be used like a fractal when measuring a country's coast. It's like the semantic version of the CC game where you add more and more people to an email chain until all productivity dies, but instead you break down the discussion into an ever-expanding set of sub-arguments until everyone is fed up and you "win".

The fractal coastline metaphor is good, but only if you assume that the players of this game aim to get to some kind of success and are broadly aligned about what success means.

In the limit as you add unboundedly many people to such an email chain, all reply-alls eventually converge to one of two stable topics: “please remove me from this list” and “do not reply-all; you cannot be removed because this is not a list”.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

MononcQc posted:

I mean do you frame conflict as a fundamentally permanent irremediable thing, or as a transitory state until parties can find a way to either compromise, realign visions, or repair wrongs, and then move on?

Well the latter framing definitely fits with the progressive view of history, which has always had a good fit to world affairs in the
medium and long term. Now to take a sip of coffee and wake up from a decades-long coma to check the news…

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

fart simpson posted:

handed down by g*d?

well-read undead posted:

that only applies to words in the bible. it's open season of the rest of 'em

anyway, here’s wonderwall the King James Bible, with the infallible word of God somehow making it through a number of editors and translators starting at Aramaic? and ending in 17th c. English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
hmm, I thought feyerabend’s point was that science can’t be constrained to be any fixed, specific method. That’s different from not existing at all or existing as a single articulable system.

“science is more about the notes that you don’t play”