Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Antistar01 posted:

You can just follow Uncle Yar in that part of that mission and not aggro the zombies, though I guess it usually doesn't make too much difference.

Well, if you don't aggro the zombies, won't they be a problem for the mercs when they show up? :v: That could be a fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I think the zombies can distract the mercs a bit (it's been a while), but the mercs are more than a match for them.

A bigger issue (not that big, but still) might be that if you aggro the zombies early, they can attack Uncle Yar? Presumably he can be killed there, but I don't remember ever having that happen.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Tiny man doesn't like being shot. Many man doesn't like it either.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Something that came to mind when you were trying to get all the stuff in that stash inside of the car, near the electrical anomalies as well as a few videos back in that theater location: in these games you can crouch and then you can also low crouch, which will put you pretty low to the ground and is great for accessing items placed like that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

radintorov posted:

Ok, so. The VSS Vintorez.
It has indeed automatic fire but is usually equipped with a 10-rds magazine since it's designed as a special purposes covert sniper rifle.
The 20 and 30-rds magazines are mainly for the assault rifle version, the AS Val (which is basically a VSS with a metal folding stock and a couple other minor changes), but if it can fit in the Val it can fit in the Vintorez.
The Vintorez is a really interesting weapon: in addition to being capable of automatic fire, it is integrally suppressed (as in, the suppressor is also the barrel) and fires the beefy 9x39mm subsonic ammo.
This ammo is designed to be subsonic (so it does not generate a sonic crack that supersonic ammo creates), while also being capable of punching through heavy body armor within its effective range and impart a lot of shock to the target; the downside is that being subsonic, it has a very short effective range due to the lower velocity (and being a pretty large round). This is fine for its intended role of urban warfare (where most engagements will take place pretty close) and for picking off sentries quietly. It's also a pretty expensive bullet to manufacture and as such the AS Val and other similar compact assault rifles chambered in 9x39 use variants that are cheaper though have somewhat less penetrating power.

And if 9mm isn’t enough for you the same people did a 12.7mm battle rifle, the ShAK-12. Russians like hueg bullet.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You know what, this is the first time I've seen what happens if you actually pay the ransom for that guy; I always just shoot the bandits.

The ability to repair weapons and armour was a glaring omission in Shadow of Chernobyl... that was added (back?) in via mods, of course. :v: So the bad old days of not being to repair things in SoC are the really old days, for me. Vanilla SoC, when it first came out.

I know there's at least one game where you (kind of) have a bucket excavator chewing up the scenery: Bulletstorm.

I'm almost certain that the loud pig sounds used by the hamsters were also used (by actual pigs/boars) in Arcanum, so they've always sounded doubly out of place to me in Call of Pripyat.

You say that the Oasis puzzle isn't that hard... but I have to admit that I didn't work it out on my first playthrough. I had to look it up later on. (Initially I thought that I was missing something and had to come back to the puzzle later.)

Drivable vehicles were cut from SoC; they're in the Alpha, I think. In the mods (and the version of the Alpha touched up by fans) where vehicles are restored, they don't work very well, in my experience. Like driving a car that's balancing on a beach-ball.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
That over-under shotgun on Splinter's corpse was one of my favourite weapons when it was first introduced in Clear Sky, and while it's not an objectively superior weapon in any of the games, I always felt it was very satisfying because it always felt more accurate and consistent than the other shotguns, especially at medium ranges rather than "close enough to stick it up someone's nostril"-ranges.

I also always loved the Ecologists' little hideout in both SoC and CoP, it always felt cozy and safe by comparison to all the other safe zones.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh poo poo its the BAGGER 288!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEvfD4C6ow

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We're hot on the trail of an old friend to steal his sweet gun :getin:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fun fact, because people keep conflating Unidentified Flying Object with flying saucers and aliens, the new term that is being used now is Unidentified Aerial Phenomena. :eng101:

Also that is definitely more of a "Global Hawk" drone than a Global Hawk drone.
For a moment I thought it looked like someone had slapped a scramjet from a V1 rocket on top of a Reaper drone.

Edit:
The SGI-5k is based on the SIG-551 rifle, don't think I ever used it in SoC. Mainly stuck with the 301 and later the G36 I believe.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 14, 2024

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I think the "Strelok's gun" sidequest is another thing I missed on my first playthrough (or at least had to look up when I heard mention of it), because I just didn't find that crashed drone. Not the biggest thing I missed in my first playthrough... sounds like that part of the game is coming up soon.

I have never done the (apparently) intended platforming in the "Concrete Bath" anomaly field. Right from my first playthrough, I noticed that there's... a much easier way. (Not shown in the video.)

"This isn't really a game with boss fights to begin with." That's true, but Clear Sky is: Helicopter boss fight - with a health bar and everything.

Oof, that minefield. My first time through, I did the throwing bolts thing, as in the video. After that I read somewhere (can't take credit for noticing it myself) that you can actually see where the mines are, because the ground is a bit darker. (Disturbed soil, I guess.) It's much easier to make out if you look at the minimap, so you can effectively navigate the minefield just by looking at the minimap as you go through. Of course if you're using a mod that disables the minimap... you're back to just using bolts.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Do you think you'll show a bonus episode of a mod like Anomaly/GAMMA, just to show how different they are to the base game?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh boy a well timed Straw Hat LP noice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It basically is the same thing as a giant saw, with the shovels acting as teeth.

I understand that the purpose is for open-pit mining. Coal seams tend to be relatively shallow, meaning you can completely remove all of the overburden and just leave the coal exposed to the sun.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dogs and wolves in videogames always have the most heart-achingly believable "oh no, I'm hurt, I'm a sad puppy :( " sound effects. I do not understand the maniacs who pick them.

Also if I remember right, Chimeras can start being random spawns after you clean out the two quests involving them.

I love the mood and atmosphere of the Zone at night, but it also makes it kind of unplayable to me, especially since NPC's are in no way as encumbered by the darkness and obstructions as you are. It works fine for mutants and stuff, who come to you anyway, and where their main advantage is moving low to the ground, fast and being hard to spot, but for shooty NPC's it's just a pain in the rear end.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Koorisch posted:

Do you think you'll show a bonus episode of a mod like Anomaly/GAMMA, just to show how different they are to the base game?

I've thought of doing something with Anomaly at least, but I think I'd just be out of my depth on trying to cover it or even just give an overview of it. I decided to just enjoy it for myself.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

ThornBrain posted:

I've thought of doing something with Anomaly at least, but I think I'd just be out of my depth on trying to cover it or even just give an overview of it. I decided to just enjoy it for myself.

Understandable, it's better to enjoy playing games.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

how dare you have fun instead of Creating Content! the absolute nerve! :v:

i am interested in your general thoughts on it though

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Up a day early since another video will be going up on the channel tomorrow. Ever hang out in the middle of a brain-melt storm?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

To quote Blazing Saddles, "A man who drink like that and don't eat is going to die."

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, there he is, right at the start of the video - probably the biggest thing I missed in my first playthrough: Strider. I had no idea he even existed. It turns out that later events and cutscenes smoothly adapt to him not being there, which is cool.

Speaking of "no time to be pausing the game", I don't know if many people are aware of this, but the STALKER games have a kind of weird pause feature; beyond the usual "hitting Escape to bring up the main menu" thing. You can also press the Pause button to pause the game in pretty much any situation; including when you're in the inventory or dialogue windows. The game's really paused though; you can't do inventory management or anything like that while it's active. I use it pretty frequently to pause the game while I'm reading item descriptions or dialogue or whatever, though.

Anyway I actually just started playing True STALKER yesterday; essentially a whole new (fan-made) STALKER game set after Call of Pripyat that just came out. It's had some pretty positive reactions.

So far it seems pretty impressive technically, except that the surround sound doesn't seem to be working with my 5.1 speakers, bizarrely. I've never had that problem with any incarnation of STALKER before. Spent a couple of hours trying to work that out, with no luck.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If I remember right another way to "miss" Strider is that if you don't commit strongly enough to Duty or Freedom, you can't tell him to go join one of them and progress the storyline. A bit of a mean trick to play on new players, in my opinion.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Commence wiggling

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I believe the scientist bunker starts with mercenaries (not Duty) on top, supposedly guarding it - the guys that ambush you during that document-collection mission. Professor Hermann mentioned it when you turned in those documents. It's why he gives you that mission to find new guards for them; you killed their previous "guards".

Yeah, that jumping puzzle at the Concrete Bath anomaly field can be easily avoided by simply dropping down onto that walkway from above. I think that on my first time through, that was (purely coincidentally) the direction I approached it from: I unknowingly bypassed the jumping puzzle before even seeing it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Speaking of noclipping through stuff, I got stuck at a tough part in one of the STALKER games once and browsed around for some sort of cheap way to avoid getting my head constantly vaporized by snipers, and it turns out the game has a console... but few of the conventional cheats you'd expect to find. No god mode, no noclip, no infinite ammo or money or carry capacity, etc. but what it DOES let you do is spawn stuff. Including NPC's already pre-rigged with their default AI. So my solution for that part was to spawn a pile of NPC's of a faction I was friendly to and let them draw fire while I ran away. It was silly.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Before we make our way to Pripyat, I want to clean up some lingering doables in Zaton.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You know I've never done any of the Sultan missions (because I agree with Thorn - I don't like him or bandits in general); kind of interesting to see what happens there.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We're supposed to be braving the dangerous underground path to Pripyat, but Vano's being too :3:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
When I saw you with the exoskeleton in the cutscene heading into the underpass (and notably with no breathing apparatus), I was like "wait... you can wear the exo in there? I'm guessing he puts the helmet on when he goes in...?"

Turns out no; you can't and you die from the gas. :v: I wasn't misremembering.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen the military guys survive in that gauss rifle ambush. I never see what happens to them; I'm always too preoccupied just staying alive. Seems like they just immediately get melted.

You were wondering where that Bubble artefact came from; Garry gave it to you in return for helping him out with those artefacts he needed for the scientists earlier in the game.

Possibly the worst line delivery in the game from that guy on the radio at the end of the video there... in a game with some pretty stiff competition in that regard. :catstare: (In the English dub, anyway.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Do you have enough time to get to the roof to pre-emptively get the guy up there, or is the path too long/blocked?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://i.imgur.com/zpOX2iq.mp4

Have a video of Zulu drinking. Needed it for something and I felt like sharing it. Tried making it into a gif but shotcut didn't let me drop the file size just enough to make it worthwhile. It loops pretty well though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://i.imgur.com/zpOX2iq.mp4

Have a video of Zulu drinking. Needed it for something and I felt like sharing it. Tried making it into a gif but shotcut didn't let me drop the file size just enough to make it worthwhile. It loops pretty well though.

YES, thanks for making that! I'm quoting this into the OP where he belongs :D

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R endgame. This is valhalla.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This week on Call of Pripyat, :getin:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Having not yet watched the video, I'm just hoping that the people in charge know the difference between Gauss and Rail guns. Ques the video up for after his current one. But not Alternating. Just Direct.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ha - I was wondering what would happen if you left Vano and Sokolov waiting like that while you went off to a different map.

I know that one of the missions in the Pripyat map can be broken if you do that sort of thing; involving bodies that you need to investigate, which can be de-spawned if you leave the map and come back. (From memory.) I had to look up a console command to use to spawn them back in so that I could continue.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's the final dungeon, as it were. The end of the main game will actually be up on Saturday next week, and then one last bonus video on Sunday before the LP is finished!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
In terms of the gauss rifle being quiet or not; I've seen gauss guns described as producing projectiles that are not just supersonic but hypersonic, so I think technically there should be a loud *crack* from the projectile breaking the sound barrier, if nothing else.

I can't remember if that mission only occurs once you have access to the gauss rifle, but don't they give you an SVD for it? I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that they expect you to use the SVD and nothing else, it's just them making sure you're equipped for a sniper mission. (Both the developers and the military stalkers, in-universe.)

I don't think I've ever noticed those ambient voices Thorn mentions, and I know I've never even tried taking the anabiotics. I'd keep them in case of emergency, but I was always able to get to shelter in time, so...

Yeah, Lab X-8, oof. No matter how many times I've been there (and I've lost count) - in the base game, in the Misery Mod, in STALKER Anomaly - I still get lost every time. And with that sneaky poltergeist hiding up in the "attic" the whole time, pelting you with debris... :catstare:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres a lot of conflation of railguns and coilguns that get lumped into just Gauss Guns. Difference is the first works by third hand rule by electrifying the projectile, the other is a electromagnetic linear accelerator. And the actual "gauss gun" just uses permanent magnets.

Theoretically a coilgun that fires subsonic bullets will be almost completely quiet. But current man protable tech only gets up to about air rifle levels.

V Absolutely loving radical

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A railgun doesn't necessarily run the current through the projectile. I've also designs for ones that have a sealed barrel and a copper 'fuse' behind a nonconductive projectile, the current flashes the copper wire into plasma which continues conducting the current, and the plasma pushes the projectile in front of it as it is itself pulled along by the magnetic field.