Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Has larian ever stated how many copies they expected to sell? It must be loving wild to sell 22 million plus copies and counting in a few months when your previous game sold 7.5 million over 6 years and was considered a huge success.

Where are you getting 22 million from? More likely, it's still pretty close to that 7.5 million figure from D:OS 2 right now, but considering that it's currently the best-selling game on Steam* (four months after release and at full price), that the Xbox version was just released, and that Christmas is coming up, it should have no trouble reaching at least 10 million by the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phlegmish posted:

Where are you getting 22 million from? More likely, it's still pretty close to that 7.5 million figure from D:OS 2 right now, but considering that it's currently the best-selling game on Steam* (four months after release and at full price), that the Xbox version was just released, and that Christmas is coming up, it should have no trouble reaching at least 10 million by the end of the year.

Via steamspy/steamdb they were saying 20 million on steam alone in Oct. Saw another estimate closer to your 7.5 with no source indicated. :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Via steamspy/steamdb they were saying 20 million on steam alone in Oct. Saw another estimate closer to your 7.5 with no source indicated. :shrug:

Steamspy is just an estimate, it isn’t authoritative

e: having played most of the game (took a break in early act 3 to wait for some patches), I feel pretty justified in commenting on Astarion’s name all the way back when. There’s a pretty clear division in names in the game between ones Larian picked themselves that sound like the generic euro fantasy they use in Divinity, and proper Ed Greenwood-influenced names. In general, main story characters use the former, and the latter is for less important NPCs.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 9, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The spread on SteamDB is so wide as to make the estimations almost useless. According to PlayTracker it's 5.48m, whereas SteamSpy apparently puts it at 27.44m (lol). Probably the only thing we can say with near-certainty is that it's way more than five million at this point.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Arivia posted:

Steamspy is just an estimate, it isn’t authoritative

e: having played most of the game (took a break in early act 3 to wait for some patches), I feel pretty justified in commenting on Astarion’s name all the way back when. There’s a pretty clear division in names in the game between ones Larian picked themselves that sound like the generic euro fantasy they use in Divinity, and proper Ed Greenwood-influenced names. In general, main story characters use the former, and the latter is for less important NPCs.

:rolleye:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phlegmish posted:

The spread on SteamDB is so wide as to make the estimations almost useless. According to PlayTracker it's 5.48m, whereas SteamSpy apparently puts it at 27.44m (lol). Probably the only thing we can say with near-certainty is that it's way more than five million at this point.

Can you explain this? Because I don't know much about how they get their estimates but based on steamdb I would assume it's scraping data from steam itself?

e: I'm not disputing, 20 million plus would be completely insane but I'm curious as how their estimates are so inflated

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

bunt chugley

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know if you'll ever get a precise figure before Larian announces it themselves, but just going by number of Steam reviews, BG3 is already at ~440,000 only three months after release, having never once gone on sale. Most AAA games have about a 50:1 review to sale ratio, so that would extend to ~22 million sales total. It will probably eclipse Elden Ring (550,000) and CP2077 (600,000) within the next year, which are both confirmed 20+ million sellers, so I think even most conservative estimates would put them in the same neighborhood. Now, I also think the percentage of players who bought BG3 on Steam is probably way higher compared to those other two games, and there were a significant number of EA reviews prior to the full release, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's a megaseller. Even if you go by Steam reviews for Divinity: Original Sin 2 (~150,000 with 7.5 million confirmed sales) and extrapolate, that puts BG3 in ~22mil territory.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 9, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Can you explain this? Because I don't know much about how they get their estimates but based on steamdb I would assume it's scraping data from steam itself?

e: I'm not disputing, 20 million plus would be completely insane but I'm curious as how their estimates are so inflated

The Steam sales numbers themselves aren't publicly available, so these trackers have to extrapolate from other statistics. This means that any given tracker's estimate will depend on which indicators they use, and how much weight they attach to each one respectively. For example, if their calculation is heavily based on the number of Steam reviews, they will get inflated numbers for games where (for whatever reason) an unusally large proportion of owners has reviewed it.

I don't know why the spread for Baldur's Gate 3 in particular is so ludicrous. Maybe because it's still relatively new.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know if you'll ever get a precise figure before Larian announces it themselves, but just going by number of Steam reviews, BG3 is already at ~440,000 only three months after release, having never once gone on sale. Most AAA games have about a 50:1 review to sale ratio, so that would extend to ~22 million sales total. It will probably eclipse Elden Ring (550,000) and CP2077 (600,000) within the next year, which are both confirmed 20+ million sellers, so I think even most conservative estimates would put them in the same neighborhood. Now, I also think the percentage of players who bought BG3 on Steam is probably way higher compared to those other two games, and there were a significant number of EA reviews prior to the full release, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's a megaseller. Even if you go by Steam reviews for Divinity: Original Sin 2 (~150,000 with 7.5 million confirmed sales) and extrapolate, that puts BG3 in ~22mil territory.

Larian recently said that about 1.3 million people had completed BG3. Even with a <20% completion rate, that seems to indicate that total sales must still be far below 20 million. Right? Regardless, it's true that we can only speculate at this point.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 9, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
All I can say about all this is that it means we are getting more party based games like this in future. Even though a great number are going to be cynical cash grabs as deep as a puddle, I'm still excited for what this success indicates for the next bunch of years for the industry. Truly a watershed moment.

And as much as I crave dlc for the game, I kinda hope they stick to their guns and opt out. It would be easy to get greedy especially when the players themselves are clamoring for it, but a game that succeeds by being a complete product and isn't milked for every dine is a game the rest of the industry can learn from right now.

But really, mega dungeon dlc when?

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 9, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Larian recently said that about 1.3 million people had completed BG3. Even with a <20% completion rate, that seems to indicate that total sales must still be far below 20 million. Right? Regardless, it's true that we can only speculate at this point.

Steam stats says 17.2% have completed the game so that gives the floor of 7.5M purchases (assuming completion rate is similar across platforms).

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

cuntman.net posted:

bunt chugley

I ran across a character named Incontinentia in the Lower City yesterday, which just seems like poor parenting to me.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
if you're gonna close a thread for the sake of changing op's or whatever nonsense, could yall at least tag the new thread at the end of the closed one?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tonetta posted:

if you're gonna close a thread for the sake of changing op's or whatever nonsense, could yall at least tag the new thread at the end of the closed one?

I'm sure they did, that's how I came to this one and bookmarked it.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
my bad, I should have read more posts

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

unattended spaghetti posted:

All I can say about all this is that it means we are getting more party based games like this in future. Even though a great number are going to be cynical cash grabs as deep as a puddle, I'm still excited for what this success indicates for the next bunch of years for the industry. Truly a watershed moment.

And as much as I crave dlc for the game, I kinda hope they stick to their guns and opt out. It would be easy to get greedy especially when the players themselves are clamoring for it, but a game that succeeds by being a complete product and isn't milked for every dine is a game the rest of the industry can learn from right now.

I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a couple nice meaty expansions, maybe similar to act 1 in size and scope, than wait like 5 years for a sequel. The engine is solid and the game is continuing to be improved and I'd be okay for it being essentially a "platform" for more Faerun adventures for a while. I'm probably an outlier here but I also do not think DLC in places like Avernus or the Astral Plane sound all that interesting, I'd rather travel across Faerun and see other places there, like Waterdeep or Neverwinter.

In any case there's going to be a lot more loving in games in the coming years.

e: what are some of the more fun/busted warlock builds? I've been neglecting him this playthrough and I'm about to do the last part of his storyline in act 3, so I'm going to respec him and get him combat ready. I have the charisma robe and I am contemplating just going all in on Eldritch blasting, but I do have some decent dex weapons as well so I'm open to other suggestions. I kind of like the idea of doing the blade warlock multiclass for 3x attacks if that's still a thing.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 9, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Professor Beetus posted:

e: what are some of the more fun/busted warlock builds? I've been neglecting him this playthrough and I'm about to do the last part of his storyline in act 3, so I'm going to respec him and get him combat ready. I have the charisma robe and I am contemplating just going all in on Eldritch blasting, but I do have some decent dex weapons as well so I'm open to other suggestions. I kind of like the idea of doing the blade warlock multiclass for 3x attacks if that's still a thing.

Bladelock 3x attack still works on everything but Honor Mode, I'm pretty sure. Bard 7/Warlock 5 or Paladin 7/Warlock 5 are both solid for hosed up martial Warlock shenanigans.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

Bladelock 3x attack still works on everything but Honor Mode, I'm pretty sure. Bard 7/Warlock 5 or Paladin 7/Warlock 5 are both solid for hosed up martial Warlock shenanigans.

Oh yeah I don't have a bard on this run, that will do nicely.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh yeah I don't have a bard on this run, that will do nicely.

Remember to give him the ring that lets you cast a Quickened Enchanment/Illusion spell after doing a melee attack so he can follow up Flourish+Smite with a Vicious Mockery!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

Remember to give him the ring that lets you cast a Quickened Enchanment/Illusion spell after doing a melee attack so he can follow up Flourish+Smite with a Vicious Mockery!

I don't think I have that. I think I missed a bunch of rings on this run, it was actually the first playthrough I started and I've gone back to finish it, and I played the first 2/3 of the game extremely sub-optimally.

e: What's the best starting subclass? I'm leaning toward great old one.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think I have that. I think I missed a bunch of rings on this run, it was actually the first playthrough I started and I've gone back to finish it, and I played the first 2/3 of the game extremely sub-optimally.

Have you done the circus on that save yet? You can find it in the Jungle after you piss off the cheating Djinn: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Band_of_the_Mystic_Scoundrel

e: GOOlock is probably the most set-and-forget of the Warlock subclasses. Definitely recommended.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

Have you done the circus on that save yet? You can find it in the Jungle after you piss off the cheating Djinn: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Band_of_the_Mystic_Scoundrel

e: GOOlock is probably the most set-and-forget of the Warlock subclasses. Definitely recommended.

Yeah, all I've got left at this point is the capstone for Wyll and then onto dealing with the rest of the endgame. I already went there and missed out because I accidentally teleported the wrong person who was hilariously incapable of lockpicking.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ah, RIP. So it goes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

Ah, RIP. So it goes.

One thing I actually really like about this game is that there's so much content and so many viable options that I don't really have a problem if I gently caress something up, it's just another thing I can do different next time around.

My fuckup resist durge bard based on my longrunning tabletop pc managed to save a lot more people than my vengeance oath paladin, who was incapable of saving Yenna from Orin. But since I had already seen that on my bard I just rolled with it and said gently caress it, you can't save everyone. Same goes for Rolan in my bard's game. It kinda sucked but he went down vs Lorrokan in mortal wizard combat and that was a kind of depressing but equally viable end to his arc, I think.

There are so many variations of things in this game, I would probably never see them all if this was the only game I played for a year.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

My main wishlist would be a mp focused module and a completely seperate adventure exploring something exotic. Let this crew ride off into the sunset as best they can for now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Given the insulting time limit and the fact that he was super nervous, he had a fantastic speech.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just met Tara in my Galethrough and I love her and will kill anyone to protect her.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shard posted:

I just met Tara … and I love her and will kill anyone to protect her.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
-snip-

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There's kind of no point to making a custom Wizard, is there? Sorc does pretty much everything they do but 2x while also acing their speech checks and you gotta play as Gale to get some of the best spellcaster buffs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

There's kind of no point to making a custom Wizard, is there? Sorc does pretty much everything they do but 2x while also acing their speech checks and you gotta play as Gale to get some of the best spellcaster buffs.

Sorcerers don't have the flexibility that Wizards have, who can just switch spells in and out depending on what the problem is.
And also if you play a custom Wizard then you won't have to interact with Gale.
So it's a win/win.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sorcerers also can't learn spells from scrolls. If you're a Wizard you can just singlehandedly learn like 65% of the spells in the game and have a spell for every occasion. Sorcerer is way more limited.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
divination wizard is not all that "exciting" but those forced dice rolls can be really clutch. you can force an effect to hit/miss and that can be really important for big fights

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Monathin posted:

Sorcerers also can't learn spells from scrolls. If you're a Wizard you can just singlehandedly learn like 65% of the spells in the game and have a spell for every occasion. Sorcerer is way more limited.

Can't I just do that by putting 1 point in Wiz though?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

exquisite tea posted:

Can't I just do that by putting 1 point in Wiz though?

You can but then those spells all use your 1 level of Wizard stats instead of your Sorcerer stats.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

My Int-based Lore Bard/Divination Wizard Minthara was pretty clutch in my honor run. Being able to control the dice is really great along with the incredible utility she had. My Durge was also Cha for the checks though.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Another weird caster interaction is with which stat an item use for saving throws, as items will always use the latest spellcasting class picked.

Say you make a tempest cleric 2 / storm sorc 10 and use the staff from the act 3 wizard tower to still get chain lightning.
If you go Sorc 10 / Cleric 2 the staff will use wisdom.
If you go Sorc 9 / Cleric 2 / Sorc 1, the staff will still use wisdom.
If you go cleric 2 / Sorc 10, the staff will use charisma (as you probably want it to!).

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
thanks for the new op!
still crawling through my durge run and gee, they're not holding back huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ChronoReverse posted:

My Int-based Lore Bard/Divination Wizard Minthara was pretty clutch in my honor run. Being able to control the dice is really great along with the incredible utility she had. My Durge was also Cha for the checks though.

I used a similar build for my MC and it works extremely well.

An INT Bard/Wizard only loses out on a couple of offensive Bard spells and on the number of Wizard spells learned, but neither is an issue when Wizard offensive spells are much better and in return you get almost full advantages of both Bard and Wizard classes.
I threw 1 level of Lore Cleric of Mystra in there as well, because you can never have enough skill proficiencies and splashing Cleric into anything makes it stronger.