Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's honestly kinda mindboggling thinking that they originally planned for this game to be even bigger. the game that we got is so astonishingly handcrafted that it still beggars belief that actual human beings managed to put it all together

McCloud posted:

Almost all the complaints were focused on Wyll too. It was so transparently a bunch of incels getting mad at a black guy preemptively cucking them with their pixel waifu.

it's an especially funny moral panic in hindsight since actual ingame wyll has 0 rizz and gets instantly dumped in the friend zone by every girl in faerun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Honestly of the stuff McCloud posted the only thing I wish made it into the final product was Wyll being more of a fraud. In particular the old version of the Dream Guardian sounds way more boring than the one we actually got, even if you think they fumbled his heel turn, and I don't mind that as much as others do cos it's not like justifications don't exist. it just needed tighter writing

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vermain posted:

it's honestly kinda mindboggling thinking that they originally planned for this game to be even bigger. the game that we got is so astonishingly handcrafted that it still beggars belief that actual human beings managed to put it all together

it's an especially funny moral panic in hindsight since actual ingame wyll has 0 rizz and gets instantly dumped in the friend zone by every girl in faerun

He's incredibly corny, which is imo part of his charm, but yeah people being mad about him stealing their girl is incredibly funny.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Honestly of the stuff McCloud posted the only thing I wish made it into the final product was Wyll being more of a fraud. In particular the old version of the Dream Guardian sounds way more boring than the one we actually got, even if you think they fumbled his heel turn, and I don't mind that as much as others do cos it's not like justifications don't exist. it just needed tighter writing

I would have preferred the original idea, in part because there'd be both a story and in game mechanic reason to either cram more tadpoles into your eyes or resist as much as you can, rather than what we have now where you are incentivized to gobble up as many as you can with no drawbacks. But I also agree that the dream guardian thing would have worked well too if they hadn't botched the landing

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

They could easily have given wormeating other drawbacks or even had drawbacks relating to the Emperor somehow, but I dunno what they would be.

One thing I do quite like about the Wyll we got is the hinting that, well, nobody really calls him the Blade of Frontiers or even really knows who he is, they're just humouring him. part of me feels they should have leant harder on that and part of me doesn't.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Dream bae sucked. It was a bad angle assuming that the best string on all possible Tavs is getting seduced. The "you're in danger, I can protect you" line is way more applicable and it's not like it's less sus on its face than "eat more tadpoles and I'll rail you."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

feller posted:

you can respec anyone to rogue just fyi

yeah I know. just never felt right I guess

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I finished the first season of Delicious In Dungeon, and the halfling thief Chilichuck was such a mensch that I thought about making a little halfling rogue dude for my first playthrough, only to be confronted with the hilariously, insanely bad creation options for halflings (halfling men specifically). There are no wiry little guys with big ears, just lumpy, depressed looking potato sacks that resemble what you'd get if someone caught an alcoholic Midwestern college football super fan pissing behind the Cracker Barrel and shot them with a shrink ray.

Like it seriously looks as though they just took a human frame and squashed the y axis down to 1/3rd, gave them only heads that look like Silent Bob, and left everything else the same. Even their animations seem like they were awkwardly keyed from the human model, but lazily shrunk. The shorter races (other than dwarves) kinda feel like the only thing in the game that Larian didn't seem to give a poo poo about executing well, it's weird. Maybe mods will fix it one day.

Edit: speaking of mods, if a campaign creation toolkit ever gets released, this game will live forever. It will become the new Skyrim.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

McCloud posted:

I would have preferred the original idea, in part because there'd be both a story and in game mechanic reason to either cram more tadpoles into your eyes or resist as much as you can, rather than what we have now where you are incentivized to gobble up as many as you can with no drawbacks. But I also agree that the dream guardian thing would have worked well too if they hadn't botched the landing

One thing I missed was how every party member had their own dream guardian that was trying to seduce them, like Lae'zel had Vlaakith, Wyll had Mizora, Gale had Mystra and Shadowheart had some dude she's lost her memories of (who apparantly turns out to be Nere, as part of another cut plotline where he was a Shar worshipper). That was a big draw for me to play as the Karlach origin, since I figured hers would be Zariel or something similar.

It also would have made the ending much cooler, with every party member confronting their literal demons on top of the Netherbrain.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

They could easily have given wormeating other drawbacks or even had drawbacks relating to the Emperor somehow, but I dunno what they would be.

In EA you didn't eat worms. Instead whenever you used the Illithid powers its connection grew and you'd have another dream with the implication that using the powers too much might make it strong enough to have serious plot effects later and take you over. After a few dreams you stop getting hostile dialogue options towards the dream visitor and pretty much act like you're giving in to it. I'm not sure that was a better concept since it just made everyone avoid using the powers but I did like that it was kind of an irreversable "this may or may not gently caress you in the future" mechanic. The original version was also more interesting imo since the tadpole seemed just as confused and frustrated by the situation as you were, so it might actually not be as simple as it first appears.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 28, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

McCloud posted:

Honestly, almost all the changes larian made seem to have been for the worse, the original ideas all seem way cooler, and by cutting out locations you miss out on big character moments. Karlach and Lazaels story feels unfinished because they cut out their big final acts. I would have rather they pushed the game back another 6 months, but I also realize that wasn't really feasible for them. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

The problem with reading what could have been is that ideas are free, but actually making tons of new areas and content (and ensuring they're good and well paced and all that) isn't. Like of course it's easy for us to say "why didn't they just do that" because we're imagining a hypothetical, finished, well-executed version of those ideas. Which is less likely than you would hope.

Nephthys posted:

One thing I missed was how every party member had their own dream guardian that was trying to seduce them, like Lae'zel had Vlaakith, Wyll had Mizora, Gale had Mystra and Shadowheart had some dude she's lost her memories of (who apparantly turns out to be Nere, as part of another cut plotline where he was a Shar worshipper). That was a big draw for me to play as the Karlach origin, since I figured hers would be Zariel or something similar.

The problem with this is that it makes the dreams even more obviously sus because of course it's all fake if it's that direct.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 28, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Interesting that there was cut content around Nere. It does feel like there’s a lot of buildup for a guy you just murder 30 seconds after finally releasing him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

grack posted:

Bane clearly doesn't have any faith in Gortash. As he shouldn't.

If you talk to Bane he makes it pretty clear that he has no investment in the plot. If it succeeds it will weaken his rivals, if it fails he lost nothing of importance.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Docjowles posted:

Interesting that there was cut content around Nere. It does feel like there’s a lot of buildup for a guy you just murder 30 seconds after finally releasing him

Apparently he can live all the way to Moonrise Towers, but almost everybody mercs him because the only way to avoid that fight is to 100% kiss his rear end AFAIK.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 29, 2024

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Interesting that it was Nere because I always assumed it was their version of the dream seducer or whatever.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I finished the first season of Delicious In Dungeon, and the halfling thief Chilichuck was such a mensch that I thought about making a little halfling rogue dude for my first playthrough, only to be confronted with the hilariously, insanely bad creation options for halflings (halfling men specifically). There are no wiry little guys with big ears, just lumpy, depressed looking potato sacks that resemble what you'd get if someone caught an alcoholic Midwestern college football super fan pissing behind the Cracker Barrel and shot them with a shrink ray.

Like it seriously looks as though they just took a human frame and squashed the y axis down to 1/3rd, gave them only heads that look like Silent Bob, and left everything else the same. Even their animations seem like they were awkwardly keyed from the human model, but lazily shrunk. The shorter races (other than dwarves) kinda feel like the only thing in the game that Larian didn't seem to give a poo poo about executing well, it's weird. Maybe mods will fix it one day.

Edit: speaking of mods, if a campaign creation toolkit ever gets released, this game will live forever. It will become the new Skyrim.

skill issue

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

mycot posted:

The problem with this is that it makes the dreams even more obviously sus because of course it's all fake if it's that direct.

Eh, the dream guardian is still obviously fake and I thought it was more interesting that the tadpole had to try and seduce you in the first place.

Also it being so obvious led to funny things like Lae'zel getting super loving angry at the tadpole pretending to be Vlaakith and SH not knowing who the gently caress this random drow is or why the tadpole thought she'd care.

Docjowles posted:

Apparantly the Shar plot used to be even more of a focus, there were audio files for the whole party worshipping her at one point.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 29, 2024

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zodium posted:

skill issue

I mean that looks fine if you want a weird little clown guy but it's not for me :shrug:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I mean that looks fine if you want a weird little clown guy but it's not for me :shrug:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I would love to be able to play through different builds of the Ea. I only dabbled in it before the game came out despite paying full price for it back in 2020

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The emperor stuff is so bad it's killed a lot of my desire to replay.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there any effect to being openly antagonistic to the Emperor or do you still end up at the same final decision? (assuming you get the hammer)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

if you aren't telling the emperor to suck a lemon the entire game I just don't know what you're doing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Lol if you don't fornicate with a mind flayer just lol forever at your prudish rear end

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any effect to being openly antagonistic to the Emperor or do you still end up at the same final decision? (assuming you get the hammer)

There aren’t any mechanical effects, no

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

*Sarah McLachlan - In The Arms of the Angels plays softly*

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

I didn't expect you to actually try to stab me. Oh well, never the less...*insert same story beat*

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shwqa posted:

I didn't expect you to actually try to stab me. Oh well, never the less...*insert same story beat*

all roads lead to Rome, it's rather odd. but you DO get there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Shwqa posted:

I actually liked that exchange.

"That was a test of character and you failed it. Jackass."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Emperor is just like oh, you're incorrigible!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The emperor stuff is so bad it's killed a lot of my desire to replay.

lol

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The best Emperor interaction is when you try to use Detect Thoughts on him.

EorayMel posted:

Lol if you don't fornicate with a mind flayer just lol forever at your prudish rear end

I'm not a prude just because I don't want to gently caress that jackass. Let me gently caress Omelum, the good and cool mindflayer.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ashcans posted:

It really is. I was like wait...aren't we...and yeah haha. Good stuff. :cthulhu:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lol I had googled the creche Inquisitor fight on honor mode and there was a bunch of noise about how it was by far the hardest encounter in act 1 and everyone loses their run there. Was dreading it but I killed that MFer in one round

On to act 2! Or do I slaughter all the Gith for XP and gold first and risk dying pointlessly :thunk:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

I get it but that's just how D&D be

if you wanna be a halfling dude without also necessarily being an absolutely hosed up lil man your best option is, what, LOTRO? and that's an ancient mmo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

technically this is pathfinder but pathfinder is D&D with the serial numbers filed off

and then hastily written back on in sharpie

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Runa posted:

technically this is pathfinder but pathfinder is D&D with the serial numbers filed off

and then hastily written back on in sharpie

This looks like AI art before AI art was a thing. Like, the only reason I know it isn't AI is because I remember seeing it somewhere like 10 years ago.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

McCloud posted:

This looks like AI art before AI art was a thing. Like, the only reason I know it isn't AI is because I remember seeing it somewhere like 10 years ago.

fingers too good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pattonesque posted:

fingers too good

Asked my DM if I could change my thief's name to this but she said maybe it's finally time I find some other group to play with.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

I feel like they were trying to run as far as possible from having the halflings and Gnomes look absolutely anything like children, for fairly understandable and good reasons.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ashcans posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The House of Grief fight is easily the toughest in the poat-early game so far, so, so, so many guys, I think I counted 14 of them. Other than that the late game has been easy for me, I'm expecting the encounter with Raphael will also kick my rear end all over the place.