Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’d definitely play a version of the game where all the encounters are rebalanced for Level 12 abilities and gear. Maybe with the expanded mod tools that will one day be available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

It's somewhat tedious to get him to actually stand under the mallet without Command or a movement-impairing spell like Ray of Frost. And if you already have a Cleric that can cast Command, then you can also just use Silence and completely negate his legendary action anyway, letting your melee wail on him.

The worst part of trying to get him under the hammer is when he ends up positioned just so, that no matter which direction you get him to move, he walks right past the drat thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPv0n90BVM

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

The worst part of trying to get him under the hammer is when he ends up positioned just so, that no matter which direction you get him to move, he walks right past the drat thing.

That's pretty much what happened to me. Got 1 hammer hit and then gave up on it after having him just out of range a couple turns in a row. Next time I think I'll just owlbear from the top rope.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I forget if I mentioned it in this thread, but I used our shared experience with early release Gale's advances as a mutual touchstone when talking to my teen daughter about consent, bodily autonomy, and pushy guys. "You will meet some Gales in your life, and you need to shut them down in the directest possible manner, they'll take politeness as an excuse to keep trying."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 24, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

I forget if I mentioned it in this thread, but I used our shared experience with early release Gale's advances as a mutual touchstone when talking to my teen daughter about consent, bodily autonomy, and pushy guys. "You will meet some Gales in your life, and you need to shut them down in the directest possible manner, they'll take politeness as an excuse to keep trying."

That's legit awesome, you're a good parent!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Owlbear Camus posted:

oh god. what was early release gale doing??

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cash crab posted:

I've heard that he was extremely, dangerously horny. Though still nowhere near Halsin.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

cash crab posted:

through some broken scripting he would somtimes come on VERY STRONG in a way that basically came across as gaslighting/stalky and yes, horny.

also she felt a little blindsided by the bit where he offers to teach you some magic at camp, and she literally just though going for it would give her access to a cantrip or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

through some broken scripting he would somtimes come on VERY STRONG in a way that basically came across as gaslighting/stalky and yes, horny.

also she felt a little blindsided by the bit where he offers to teach you some magic at camp, and she literally just though going for it would give her access to a cantrip or something.

The whole "Magic lesson" scene had to be modified so that there was a way out of it that was, and I quote, "somewhere in between kissing him and kicking him in the head". Because there kinda wasn't initially.

But yeah, Gale was initially literally bugged to trigger his Romance flags too easily.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Black Noise posted:

I was going to quote some Kung Fu movie about allowing yourself to be hit so you can strike a superior combatant in but maybe multi attack would mess this up.

Death Ward. Leaves you with 1 hp so now you’ve got time to throw up a globe. You said you finished the duel in your post but that’s how I’d have approached it at least.

Yeah I just save scummed it til I won initiative lol. I didn’t totally realize it at the time but having the ability to do that made me lazy about thinking of better solutions. Playing on honor mode now
I’m much more apt to spend time analyzing the encounter before diving in vs mashing F8 til I get favorable rolls

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

You probably figured it out from other posts, but if you hit the little padlock icon, you can mess around with what's in the default bars, the little + button will add rows if you need more, and those red divider things can be moved around as well. You...probably don't need a visual reference, but I made one anyways!

i'm really, really bad at drawing with a mouse sorry

status update: I didn't have time to play much today, but I did arrive at the creche, and what I wouldn't give for a button that lets me hit Lae'zel in the back of the head and go THE GITH ARE TRYING TO KILL US AND ARE GOING TO KEEP TRYING TO KILL US YOU IDIOT right now. At least she's the one that lost some IQ points to the creepy death machine and not someone important, I guess...wait, maybe that -2 stat is why she keeps insisting on talking to the manager and the manager's manager and the manager's manager's manager.

that's just slightly ominous...at least I hit the second speech check before worse things happened.

Also, Astarion volunteered* to be my brain-worm eater, since I feel like Zehra would refuse to use them even if she kinda-mostly trusts the Dream Guardian, and the other companions I've picked up so far don't seem the type...maybe Gale would, idk an- oh god I'm RPing in an RPG what the hell's happened to me :psyduck: In all seriousness, I don't really, well, RP in games normally, so the character-building in this game must be doing something right.

*i didn't want to inline even more dialog pictures, but the expression he has in that first image is just perfect

I bumped that to uh +1 I think, and set enemies to tactical AI, then set my party's health to the easiest setting. I figured that would let me see most of the game and not die constantly because, well, I'm not very good at CRPGs. It...seems to have worked okay so far? It might be a bit too low-risk though, I can't decide but hey it's nice enough to let you change that any time. :toot:

FYI the stat debuff doesn’t have to be permanent. It goes away if you feed them a tadpole

Also god searching this up to remind myself how it works people got SO MAD online about the debuffs lol

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

lmaooooo

also re: halsin. yeah. oh my god lol.

actually every companion when they come onto you is pretty odd sometimes. i just finished eating auntie ethel’s hair and lae’zel was like hi. and i was like what and she said i want you and im like. right now? which reminded me of the day after we closed for covid and one of the linecooks at my work dm’ed me and i was like “hi i love you”. same energy

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
It bugs me extremely that Halsin's dialogue tree forever has the "I hope I didn't come on too strong at the party..." option. Motherfucker the only conversation I had with you at that party was about the logistics of getting to Moonrise, don't make me complicit in your weird misreading of signals.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
A thought occurs. I've got three barrels full of drunk kobold sitting in Karlach's inventory. I need to decide when will be the funniest time to deploy these.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Final battle projectiles

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GimpInBlack posted:

It bugs me extremely that Halsin's dialogue tree forever has the "I hope I didn't come on too strong at the party..." option. Motherfucker the only conversation I had with you at that party was about the logistics of getting to Moonrise, don't make me complicit in your weird misreading of signals.

I wonder if Larian is going to adjust Halsin in particular, I guess that would require having his actor do a few new lines. Its very jarring how out of place his advances are.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Node posted:

I wonder if Larian is going to adjust Halsin in particular, I guess that would require having his actor do a few new lines. Its very jarring how out of place his advances are.

i literally barely spoke to him because i was busy trying to recruit minthara and romance astarion and it’s got a bit of a creepy vibe when it’s sort of out of nowhere like that

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The most creeped I was about companion romance attempt was actually with Lae'zel. I was playing Durge, I just killed Alfira in the camp and confessed everything to the party, so after that I was walking around and talking to other party members and Lae'zel hit me with the "Mmmm, you smell so good It turns me on so much, I want to gently caress you" dialogue while I was still covered with Alfira's blood and gore It was just a bad timing, but uhhh....it left an impression. :stonk:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I just save scummed it til I won initiative lol. I didn’t totally realize it at the time but having the ability to do that made me lazy about thinking of better solutions. Playing on honor mode now
I’m much more apt to spend time analyzing the encounter before diving in vs mashing F8 til I get favorable rolls

hell yeah. my hm runs really pushed me to think in terms of "this will work even in a worst case scenario" instead of "this will be really good in a best case scenario." very satisfying.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Lt. Lizard posted:

The most creeped I was about companion romance attempt was actually with Lae'zel. I was playing Durge, I just killed Alfira in the camp and confessed everything to the party, so after that I was walking around and talking to other party members and Lae'zel hit me with the "Mmmm, you smell so good It turns me on so much, I want to gently caress you" dialogue while I was still covered with Alfira's blood and gore It was just a bad timing, but uhhh....it left an impression. :stonk:

oh i hate that so much

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Docjowles posted:

FYI the stat debuff doesn’t have to be permanent. It goes away if you feed them a tadpole

Also god searching this up to remind myself how it works people got SO MAD online about the debuffs lol

Yes, but to quote my daughter when she's moody, I dun want to. :colbert:

BlazetheInferno posted:

A thought occurs. I've got three barrels full of drunk kobold sitting in Karlach's inventory. I need to decide when will be the funniest time to deploy these.

...I might have to roll my save back an hour or so and grab those instead of blowing them all up. Fortunately I hard-save constantly.

Also, all Halsin talked about at my party was "hey, go have fun with other people and stop asking me about the logistics of crossing Death Shadow Land Do Not Go" so I must have missed something. Maybe it got changed at some point (like Gale? I thought the Weave scene was cute...) or I managed to avoid clicking the right/wrong dialog option? I wasn't planning on achieving peace inside nature by having nature inside me anyways, so.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 24, 2024

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I always kill halsin every playthrough and so should you

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Knowing Halsin even when you kill him he gets off on it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Medullah posted:

☹️

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

It's simply the way of nature

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

EorayMel posted:

Halsin tries hard to walk into my aoe after the beach fight so I think he agrees.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Medullah posted:

La grande mort

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Zodium posted:

hell yeah. my hm runs really pushed me to think in terms of "this will work even in a worst case scenario" instead of "this will be really good in a best case scenario." very satisfying.

Run it again with no respecs and a lovely class hahaha. Like a hundred pages back I tried to solo HM with 1 life cleric/X necromancer (big armor and summons, for D2 vibes). Early levels are ROUGH. Made it to level 5 and then got hold-person'd. Having sanctuary is amazing, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Recently restarted this with my brother and we're about to go through the goblin camp. I've read that you can now get Minthara without being an evil bastard but I hear a lot of contradictions. Some people say its as easy as using non lethal to down her and other people read out something that is on par with getting the keys to the truck in Pokemon Red or unlocking Luigi in Mario 64. Like you have to make her temporary hostile, you have to take her out first, after knocking her out you cannot leave the temple until you kill the rest of the goblin leaders, you cannot long rest until after the grove resolves, etc.

Is it the simple option or do you have to do some weird series of events to have it work out?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Non lethal KO her before doing anything else aggressive against the goblins: definitely works have done it multiple times.

It used to be like 1990s gamefaqs poo poo you read in a file full of ASCII art where if you did these 38 steps perfectly you’d get her. But they patched it so it’s very easy now to recruit her if you want to

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Turds in magma posted:

Run it again with no respecs and a lovely class hahaha. Like a hundred pages back I tried to solo HM with 1 life cleric/X necromancer (big armor and summons, for D2 vibes). Early levels are ROUGH. Made it to level 5 and then got hold-person'd. Having sanctuary is amazing, though.

yeah I explicitly designed both the tb barb and control bard builds I used around beating or negating wisdom saves, because they'll kill you stone dead if you fail one. 16 wis, amulet of the harpers. other stats don't matter if you can't move or act and enemies automatically critical you.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mr. Lobe posted:

La grande mort

:golfclap: also I feel like I have to repost this.

Docjowles posted:

Non lethal KO her before doing anything else aggressive against the goblins: definitely works have done it multiple times.

It used to be like 1990s gamefaqs poo poo you read in a file full of ASCII art where if you did these 38 steps perfectly you’d get her. But they patched it so it’s very easy now to recruit her if you want to

On this note, I think I read somewhere that she's mutually exclusive with Halsin, is that still correct or was that just when you had to side with the goblins in Act 1?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

:golfclap: also I feel like I have to repost this.

On this note, I think I read somewhere that she's mutually exclusive with Halsin, is that still correct or was that just when you had to side with the goblins in Act 1?

You can get both doing what I posted. Patches have made having both less weird and buggy but it is still a little weird and buggy. It all works and is fine.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 25, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Leal posted:

Recently restarted this with my brother and we're about to go through the goblin camp. I've read that you can now get Minthara without being an evil bastard but I hear a lot of contradictions. Some people say its as easy as using non lethal to down her and other people read out something that is on par with getting the keys to the truck in Pokemon Red or unlocking Luigi in Mario 64. Like you have to make her temporary hostile, you have to take her out first, after knocking her out you cannot leave the temple until you kill the rest of the goblin leaders, you cannot long rest until after the grove resolves, etc.

Is it the simple option or do you have to do some weird series of events to have it work out?

Originally, it was Halsin OR Minthara, but some clever ducks reliably threaded the needle with aforementioned SS Anne-style bullshit involving Polymorph, so Larian decided to Rule Of Cool it that a specific kind of non-lethal takedown counts as a Quest Kill. It is very easy to get down once you know how to do it! The actually hard part later becomes if you WANT to decide to do this or not, because Minthara is somewhat poorly defined as a companion character, especially if you are a true goody goody and you already have 1 or 2 VIP's in your party comp.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Doesn't Halsin hit on you once and then back off once you said you're not interested, like any other companion in the game. Where's all this "Halsin is uncomfortably horny" coming from

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
wyll just dancing by himself by the fire and being all OH HEY WANNA DANCE!??! when you wander past was the creepiest for me, dude is just reading weird PUA tactics about being 'quirky'

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

wyll just dancing by himself by the fire and being all OH HEY WANNA DANCE!??! when you wander past was the creepiest for me, dude is just reading weird PUA tactics about being 'quirky'

I think its supposed to hook into a previous dialogue where he mentions he spent a lot of his youth drinking and dancing and you can needle him about it or invite him to show off or dance with you. When you do that he'll basically nervously deflect. Then you see him later somewhat drunk and happy during a celebration showing of his moves.

In this sequence is makes sense, and if you are on a romance track and previously asked him to dance with you it makes sense, you literally asked for this earlier.

If none of that stuff happened first, yeah I can see why that'd feel weird and jarring.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

blizzardvizard posted:

Doesn't Halsin hit on you once and then back off once you said you're not interested, like any other companion in the game. Where's all this "Halsin is uncomfortably horny" coming from

He is written as a big dude who is big horny and it's difficult if not impossible to not wrack high approval with him by simply solving the Shadow Curse. He makes the first move in the romance plot, so it can come out of nowhere, and for some reason, they had him take the let down particularly hard.. which might have been fine if game conditions made it seem that YOU were the one persuing HIM.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

lol, I did have this happen. Wyll, wtf?

I find it amusing in hindsight getting bamboozled into Wizard Lovin' from Gale's "Hey, man... do you want to see a magic trick?" because the backlash was hard, they patched this behavior and the script, and they all sometimes STILL hit on you too hard. It's all dumb and awful and dorky as hell, but it's part of the game's very idiosyncratic identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

blizzardvizard posted:

You can give him one positive remark, like Good Idea!, then he confesses his love for you at camp. It's really awkward and isn't believable at all. At least I knew Karlach for a few hours before she told me she wanted to ride me.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I hated this encounter too because he's doing this elaborate dance in the the middle of camp and then acts startled and surprised because you caught him. Dude, everybody can see that, even Withers.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 25, 2024