Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Like, the roughest area of the game for me is the character development in the non-Origin characters. Anybody you recruit later in the game is stretched a little thin compaired to the main cast. Jaheira is obviously the best in addition to the astonishingly pitch perfect performance, but Minthara seems probably the most underdone in my experience. She does has some wonderful character moments if you're a bad enough dude, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

wizard2 posted:

He is written as a big dude who is big horny and it's difficult if not impossible to not wrack high approval with him by simply solving the Shadow Curse. He makes the first move in the romance plot, so it can come out of nowhere, and for some reason, they had him take the let down particularly hard.. which might have been fine if game conditions made it seem that YOU were the one persuing HIM.

I honestly wonder if there isn't a bug here, like a flag getting incorrectly set saying the player has been flirting with him when they haven't, given the thing I mentioned earlier where even if the only conversation you have with him at the party is logistics of the trip to Moonrise and the details of the Shadow Curse you'll have the "I hope I didn't come on too strong...." option in his dialogue.

But yeah, coupled with the fact that if you reject him he's all like "oh, but, I thought we really had something special" that comes across as extra creepy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

wizard2 posted:

Like, the roughest area of the game for me is the character development in the non-Origin characters. Anybody you recruit later in the game is stretched a little thin compaired to the main cast. Jaheira is obviously the best in addition to the astonishingly pitch perfect performance, but Minthara seems probably the most underdone in my experience. She does has some wonderful character moments if you're a bad enough dude, however.

I'm glad I'm not the only one surprised by Jaheira. I purposely tried to spoil myself very little for this game, so I didn't know who was voice acting who. I was utterly convinced it was the same voice actor from 1 and 2. Minsc was okay, but you could tell it was someone else.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Is there a way to suppress or mute the Die Success/Die Failure sounds? I hate hearing whether i've succeeded for failed the instant I click to start rolling for a check.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

UltraShame posted:

Is there a way to suppress or mute the Die Success/Die Failure sounds? I hate hearing whether i've succeeded for failed the instant I click to start rolling for a check.

You can hide passive checks in dialogues in the Custom difficulty, but IDK of any way to just mute the sounds.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

wizard2 posted:

Minthara is my prime candidate for expanded writing, just the possibilities when you for instance are an oathbreaker. Like I roleplayed my origin Shadowheart into basically an AC Asassin, so when Minthara starts talking I just want to be Powerman to her Invincible.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

I really like Minthara, for all that she could have been a stock evil cartoon character she has a really interesting arc as she grapples with how she was controlled by the Absolute cult. It's a shame that you only get to see the scene that sets that up if you, yourself, are being a stock evil cartoon character. I know the "now you can KO her and she'll be at Moonrise" option was the least-risky way to implement letting a good PC recruit her, but I wish they had managed to find a way to let you see her goblin party conversation without having to side with the goblins, because as is there's absolutely no diegetic reason to non-lethally KO her or try to redeem her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you knock her out and find her again in Moonrise, she is being tortured by the other cultists for her failure. So the most straightforward reason for you to free and recruit her is that the enemy of your enemy is your friend. Like, we're willing to work with vampires and devils and mindflayers, so why not a drow paladin? I think that part is sensible enough, at least. And then after the battle she tells you her thoughts on being brainwashed by the cult.

There's definitely no reason to think you should knock her out though, unless you're just habitually knocking out everything for whatever reason.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 25, 2024

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

GimpInBlack posted:

You can hide passive checks in dialogues in the Custom difficulty, but IDK of any way to just mute the sounds.

i meant specifically for the active checks where you click to roll the die and instantly hear the result while the die is still rolling around.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Clarste posted:

If you knock her out and find her again in Moonrise, she is being tortured by the other cultists for her failure. So the most straightforward reason for you to free and recruit her is that the enemy of your enemy is your friend. Like, we're willing to work with vampires and devils and mindflayers, so why not a drow paladin? I think that part is sensible enough, at least. And then after the battle she tells you her thoughts on being brainwashed y the cult.

There's definitely no reason to think you should knock her out though, unless you're just habitually knocking out everything for whatever reason.

Right, sorry, I was talking about when you meet her at the camp, there's nothing to make you think you should treat her any differently than Dror Ragzlin or Priestess Gut. Once you see her in Moonrise there's a case to be made for "even she doesn't deserve torture," it's just that getting there requires meta-knowledge or some really unlikely circumstances--IIRC somebody earlier in the thread mentioned dropping her with a pommel strike (great for taking off those last 1-2 hp!) and not noticing the KO'd vs. dead status, but that's an edge case.

Of course, Minthara's story also raises some uncomfortable questions about all those other True Souls we cheerfully massacre throughout the game, which I don't recall the game ever really addressing. Like, how do we know, say, Z'Rell isn't just as brainwashed and appalled by what the Absolute was making her do?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah it's a mess, the only way you could backsolve it if you say your character knows a drow woman would never do what she does of her free will, and is not so sure about anybody else

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's quite simple: They had sick loot, and needed to die.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

And Nere was rude to me!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

simple as

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, the people saying recruiting Minthara in a Good Run is difficult or obscure are working with old information. Originally, it involved shenanigans with Polymorph or something. Then it was changed so that you had to make her Temporarily Hostile in the Goblin Camp and knock her out there.

Now, as long as you just Knock her out instead of killing her, that's literally all you need to do.

(though people have stated this a few times, that's what I get for just skimming the last page or so instead of actually reading through it before posting)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 25, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

it's true

GimpInBlack posted:

And Nere was rude to me!

he was

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

For the record, the people saying recruiting Minthara in a Good Run is difficult or obscure are working with old information. Originally, it involved shenanigans with Polymorph or something. Then it was changed so that you had to make her Temporarily Hostile in the Goblin Camp and knock her out there.

Now, as long as you just Knock her out instead of killing her, that's literally all you need to do.

Yeah, we know, what we're saying is that unless you have meta-knowledge about her, there is no reason you would want to do that. There is no scene in Act 1 that reveals that she's been brainwashed by the Absolute, no hint that she's any different from Dror Ragzlin or Gut, not even a tutorial suggesting that KOing her instead of killing her might have effects later. There is nothing at all within the bounds of the actual story of the game to present rescuing or recruiting her as an option or something a good-aligned character might want to do.

In other words, they just took some steps to make the hacky sequence-breaking approach less inconvenient, rather than integrating it into the story. Which, again, is totally understandable, I've worked on complex branching games with lots of potential states and patching things like this in can be a huge headache and risk breaking a bunch of other stuff, so this was probably the safest option, but I still wish it had been integrated into the story.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

nere is a slaver in a room full of a bunch of other slavers who are hostile to you in conversation because they think you’re a true soul, so it’s safe to say there’s a chance nere was probably a lovely jerk prior to his infection. but hey, maybe he spent his free time working in an owlbear rescue and you killed the guy raising money to make a hobby farm

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

side note i am going to respec minthara into a bard. now that she is free from the absolute she can pursue her real dream: playing the recorder

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

cash crab posted:

side note i am going to respec minthara into a bard. now that she is free from the absolute she can pursue her real dream: playing the recorder

A fine set of insults
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhA1NwgnFN8&t=4110s

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

GimpInBlack posted:

And Nere was rude to me!

rude soul nere

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

rude soul nere

true soul neener neener

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

cash crab posted:

nere is a slaver in a room full of a bunch of other slavers who are hostile to you in conversation because they think you’re a true soul, so it’s safe to say there’s a chance nere was probably a lovely jerk prior to his infection. but hey, maybe he spent his free time working in an owlbear rescue and you killed the guy raising money to make a hobby farm

I don't really remember The Dark Elf Trilogy, but I wonder in the production Larian was developing him as a companion, if took cues from Baeloth from BG1EE? Very similar character, but Baeloth is way more fun.

It's kind of neat seeing there's really cut content on display like that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm still just sad the Werewolf Halfling Bard companion got cut. That would have been awesome.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

GimpInBlack posted:

Of course, Minthara's story also raises some uncomfortable questions about all those other True Souls we cheerfully massacre throughout the game, which I don't recall the game ever really addressing. Like, how do we know, say, Z'Rell isn't just as brainwashed and appalled by what the Absolute was making her do?

This brings up another interesting question: why does she get the Absolute shield from the artifact after the raid, even if only temporarily? Why doesn’t that jerk in it just radiate a field of anti-Absolute so you can do that to all the other True Souls?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

OzFactor posted:

This brings up another interesting question: why does she get the Absolute shield from the artifact after the raid, even if only temporarily? Why doesn’t that jerk in it just radiate a field of anti-Absolute so you can do that to all the other True Souls?

Im sure it made more sense in production when there was never intended to have it both ways with the conflict in the grove and it was a Frog vs Magus thing

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

Yeah, we know, what we're saying is that unless you have meta-knowledge about her, there is no reason you would want to do that. There is no scene in Act 1 that reveals that she's been brainwashed by the Absolute, no hint that she's any different from Dror Ragzlin or Gut, not even a tutorial suggesting that KOing her instead of killing her might have effects later. There is nothing at all within the bounds of the actual story of the game to present rescuing or recruiting her as an option or something a good-aligned character might want to do.

There is very little disadvantage to switching on Non-lethal attacks and then just leaving it on. A little harder to interrogate people with Speak with Dead, but you can go through the game leaving melee induced concussions in your wake instead of killing as many people.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

OzFactor posted:

Probably the same reason why you have to nag the emperor to shield Minsc when he's knocked out

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Ah so it boils down to: the Emperor sucks. Amazing how much of the plot comes down to that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

And the romance.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

OzFactor posted:

Ah so it boils down to: the Emperor sucks. Amazing how much of the plot comes down to that.

it's one of the great tropes of Fantasy :mmmhmm:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I may be wrong, but I think the Emperor warns you that he can only exert his protection so far when you get him to help Minsc. It’s very possible that he could do more than he does, but it also makes sense his ability to shield people isn’t limitless.

I think there is also a risk that the absolute would rapidly realize it’s losing contact with True Souls and use that to pinpoint you. The Emperor can only really shield you from incidental attention; it’s why you can’t return to Act 1 after the army marches to Baldurs Gate, because the Absolute realizes you are rogue.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Everything makes a lot more sense when you finally realize that the Emperor is full of poo poo and sucks and you can’t really trust anything he says. . You have limits, do you?? What about all those goobers sitting back in camp / all the way over there in Elfsong??

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

OzFactor posted:

Everything makes a lot more sense when you finally realize that the Emperor is full of poo poo and sucks and you can’t really trust anything he says. . You have limits, do you?? What about all those goobers sitting back in camp / all the way over there in Elfsong??

he spends the entire game proving himself to be a total untrustworthy bastard and in the end, he most definitely is a total untrustworthy bastard. you shouldn't trust him! the end. the wisest players spotted this on their first playthrough!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I probably would have let him get away with it too if he just stayed as the hot drow chick I made in the character creator. :argh:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
figured out a finicky thing, is this any good?

Flame Blade

quote:

Conjure a flaming Scimitar in your hand that deals 3d6 fire damage. Uses WIS for attack rolls, gets damage riders.

Pyroquickness Hat

quote:

When you deal Fire damage with a non-cantrip spell, you Burn yourself and gain an additional Bonus action this round.

War Magic

quote:

After you cast a cantrip, you can make a weapon attack using a Bonus action.

Be at least 7 Eldritch Knight (for War Magic) / 3 Druid (for Flame Blade).

• Dual Wield
  • Upcast Flame Blade so it's in your offhand.
  • Offhand attack, which makes the hat return you a Bonus Action
  • Cast a cantrip (probably Firebolt), which triggers War Magic
  • Mainhand attack (or shoot your crossbow).
You could have your mainhand as Internal Rapier or Sylvan Scimitar and dump STR completely or use the chair leg or any other club/staff with Shillelagh

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Emperor definitely sucks and I told him to take his worms and pound sand, but he also tends to avoid a lie where the truth will serve. Like right at your early meetings he tells you that he has stolen the power he is using to protect you, and is stuck fighting the ones that want it back. This is true - he stole it from Orpheus and he’s fighting his honor guard. He could just lie completely about that, but he tells you the truth in a way that serves him, he just obfuscates the details and uses it to help his appeal to you.

Plus if he was already powerful enough to simply release all the True Souls, he wouldn’t need so many hoops to confront the brain himself. But he helps fewer than he could because he’s a dick and they aren’t useful to him like we are.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He doesn’t want you to be too powerful, because he thinks of you as a thrall and he knows what can happen when thralls rebel.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

crepeface posted:

figured out a finicky thing, is this any good?

Flame Blade

Pyroquickness Hat

War Magic

Be at least 7 Eldritch Knight (for War Magic) / 3 Druid (for Flame Blade).

• Dual Wield
  • Upcast Flame Blade so it's in your offhand.
  • Offhand attack, which makes the hat return you a Bonus Action
  • Cast a cantrip (probably Firebolt), which triggers War Magic
  • Mainhand attack (or shoot your crossbow).
You could have your mainhand as Internal Rapier or Sylvan Scimitar and dump STR completely or use the chair leg or any other club/staff with Shillelagh

What is the leveled spell you’d be doing damage with for the pyroquickness hat to activate? You’re doing a melee attack with a sword instead of shooting a sword shaped flame at them iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Flame Blade spell summons a scimitar, it's not a spell attack.