Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm a little annoyed Larian keeps patching out all the clever workarounds to get summoned weapons and and the weapons of summoned creatures to drop and stick around permanently. Yes, I know it's not an intended mechanic, but it feels smart and like you're getting away with something, and it's a single player PVE game :catbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked it when your summons could get arrested for vandalism, seems like a logical system of justice for a city with a bunch of wizards walking around everywhere.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

exquisite tea posted:

I liked it when your summons could get arrested for vandalism, seems like a logical system of justice for a city with a bunch of wizards walking around everywhere.

LOL imagining an Air Elemental sulking in prison.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I may be wrong, but I think the Emperor warns you that he can only exert his protection so far when you get him to help Minsc. It’s very possible that he could do more than he does, but it also makes sense his ability to shield people isn’t limitless.

I think there is also a risk that the absolute would rapidly realize it’s losing contact with True Souls and use that to pinpoint you. The Emperor can only really shield you from incidental attention; it’s why you can’t return to Act 1 after the army marches to Baldurs Gate, because the Absolute realizes you are rogue.

The Emperor's protection doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it. Apparently he was shielding every origin character after the crash, no matter how far away from the crash they were? Like why doesn't Karlach go beep boop, I'm an absolute follower now? And why/how did he even choose the origin characters for protection? Is he just going with whoever managed to survive the ship crash? Did he help all of them survive the ship crash?

Maybe this is explained if you actually play as them, which I haven't, but from playing Tav/Durge it seems kind of arbitrary and inexplicable.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 25, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Baldurs Gate 3 is a mostly nonsense Fantasy story plot that is usually in a state of almost working, but it's well told and well executed, with a lot of exceptional character moments and subplots! It doesn't really have themes or a message and the structure is a hot mess.

It's wild to me that it won all the awards for story and narrative, but I think it just goes to show me that people want a big old busy video game with a lot of crunchy moving parts that is simply enthusiastic to be a video game, and not some joyless money extraction scheme?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

BG3 definitely has prevailing themes of self-determination versus ideological rigidity, autonomy versus control.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think at the start of the game the players are outside of the absolute’s attention, so even if they’re not being protected yet they’re also not being mind controlled. Like putting off the Shadowheart recruit and visiting the goblin camp, you’re fine up until you hit the point that the absolute starts trying to tell you to do stuff (at which point Shadowheart runs in with the artifact and the emperor protects your party because he realizes a solo cleric isn’t going to cut it)

Or at least that’s how I’d justify it, probably you can find somewhere this doesn’t hold up if you speedrun to the underdark or something.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

wizard2 posted:

Baldurs Gate 3 is a mostly nonsense Fantasy story plot that is usually in a state of almost working, but it's well told and well executed, with a lot of exceptional character moments and subplots! It doesn't really have themes or a message and the structure is a hot mess.

It's wild to me that it won all the awards for story and narrative, but I think it just goes to show me that people want a big old busy video game with a lot of crunchy moving parts that is simply enthusiastic to be a video game, and not some joyless money extraction scheme?

The story and narrative are more than just the plot, the excellent character beats and personal storylines are important - in this case, more important. It absolutely has themes, they're just mainly about how characters respond to abusive situations in different ways.

What's impressive is that if you take the evil route, the themes still come through, it just shows people reacting badly to their starting situations and ending up more unhealthy than they started.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wizard2 posted:

Like, the roughest area of the game for me is the character development in the non-Origin characters. Anybody you recruit later in the game is stretched a little thin compaired to the main cast. Jaheira is obviously the best in addition to the astonishingly pitch perfect performance, but Minthara seems probably the most underdone in my experience. She does has some wonderful character moments if you're a bad enough dude, however.

She has a pretty interesting story arc if you’re a Durge. You do a lot of bonding over how bad Orin sucks

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

one of the best unexpected benefits of playing control bard was that if you don't need to cc with command, which is most fights, you get to cast vicious mockery as a bonus action every round.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah, Im way wrong about tfw no themes, Im midway through my third playthrough in Act 2, and now Im remembering my first where I resolved Astarion's quest good which is very clear

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

wizard2 posted:

yeah, Im way wrong about tfw no themes, Im midway through my third playthrough in Act 2, and now Im remembering my first where I resolved Astarion's quest good which is very clear

Astarion definitely does best with the theme and his monologues are really great. He has some chats with Resist Durge that are the best dialogues in the game.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

if you’re not playing as durge you also get an uncomfortable conversation with him when he admits he only came onto you because he equates sex with survival. when you suggest you two break up he’s very good about it. also, and i haven’t done it before but apparently after his quest if you do the whole drow foursome thing he’s pretty pumped but has a total meltdown after. for this and other reasons i am unclear on people who are horny for ascended astarion

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tumblr sexyman vampire

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

exquisite tea posted:

tumblr sexyman vampire

“i can fix him” crew real silent on a dude that would benefit from regular normal friend

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

cash crab posted:

i am unclear on people who are horny for ascended astarion

Because you can do this, OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opmVTuYY2i4

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:lol: this loving game man

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Honor mode run was going great, even clearing the Nere fight easily. At level 5, the fight that almost wiped me was the Underdark fight with all the hooked beasts. Pounces knocking me prone followed up by multiple attacks is rough. I popped an invisibility potion managed to flee, and will have to pay $600 to Withers to res everyone else.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As far as I can tell, Ascended Astarion simps fall into one of two categories.

1) Taken in by his over-the-top suave attitude and pompous, theatrical presentation, and either don't understand or don't care about how much of a bastard he becomes, because they're focused entirely on the surface.

2) BDSM Fetishists who are going "dominate me harder vamp-daddy" and choose to ignore the fact that he ain't gonna respect your Safe Word.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

As far as I can tell, Ascended Astarion simps fall into one of two categories.

I just use him for his body 1d10 necrotic damage.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ChronoReverse posted:

that's right

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

ChronoReverse posted:

:same: but for Gale.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Oh and the permanent +2 Str potion.

When I'm powergaming BG3 instead of role-playing, it seems I'm a huge bastard.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So far the only issue I have with this game is that when I approach combat with a plan the plan never works because pretty much everyone misses everything. There's so many tools, spells, cantrips, potions, scrolls, magic items and none of it matters if everyone misses all the time. And then I'll do things like sleep a bunch of goblins, miss one, and then that goblin has enough action points to run around pushing all the sleeping goblins to wake them up.

Also what are all these magic arrows? Do I load them into bows, or... throw them?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

cash crab posted:

if you’re not playing as durge you also get an uncomfortable conversation with him when he admits he only came onto you because he equates sex with survival. when you suggest you two break up he’s very good about it. also, and i haven’t done it before but apparently after his quest if you do the whole drow foursome thing he’s pretty pumped but has a total meltdown after. for this and other reasons i am unclear on people who are horny for ascended astarion

I ascended as origin Astarion. Never thought about just burning the company down because leadership is just the worst? Like sure I could kill the guy or I could kill and send them to hell. And with an infinite lifespan I could find an adventure that redeems me in the eyes of enough people that this just becomes a footnote in my wiki.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 25, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When you choose a bow attack, you can opt to fire a special arrow instead of the regular attack. Many of them are quite good! I have no idea if you can throw them.

They also work in crossbows. Don’t be like me and stockpile them while grumpily wondering where the enchanted bolts are.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can also right click the arrow, which is useful if you carry some of each type since they won't all show in the attack submenu.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dick Trauma posted:

So far the only issue I have with this game is that when I approach combat with a plan the plan never works because pretty much everyone misses everything. There's so many tools, spells, cantrips, potions, scrolls, magic items and none of it matters if everyone misses all the time. And then I'll do things like sleep a bunch of goblins, miss one, and then that goblin has enough action points to run around pushing all the sleeping goblins to wake them up.

Also what are all these magic arrows? Do I load them into bows, or... throw them?

the misses ease over time when you max out Profiency Bonus, get yourself the +2 and +3 weapons, and a full stash full of sick and interesting loot to mix and match effects. embrace the chaos of a plan going sideways in a Larian game.

the magic arrows are very good if you need to lay down surface effects, disrupt the enemy, do massive amounts of damage to a specific enemy type you know can wreck your poo poo, or do some odd utility things, such as pinch teleports or debuff cleanses. you can put them on your hotbar, or choose Shoot from inventory. start stockpiling them early and get to experimenting!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't sleep on Bless early on. It's a low level Cleric spell that makes it easier to hit. I would always say to myself "Nah, not gonna waste Shadowheart's turn on Bless, gonna try and Guiding Bolt this poo poo" and NOPE she misses everything early on, so using her as a bless bot is fantastic.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also never not cast magic missile, the spell that never misses (unless the enemy has a Shield spell, but only about 5 of them in the entire game do)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Don't sleep on Bless early on. It's a low level Cleric spell that makes it easier to hit. I would always say to myself "Nah, not gonna waste Shadowheart's turn on Bless, gonna try and Guiding Bolt this poo poo" and NOPE she misses everything early on, so using her as a bless bot is fantastic.

yep. oils of accuracy also carry a lot of weight in the early game with that +2, as do ethel's giant strength elixirs if you stay away from the wetlands.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah that's what I was gonna say. Low level cleric isn't amazing but bless and all your other buddies actually landing their attacks makes up for the lovely buff bot doing 3 damage with firebolt. And of course at level 5 you get spirit guardians and suddenly that cleric whips rear end. You can't concentrate on both spirit guardians and bless unfortunately but hopefully by then you have some solid +attack gear

Zodium posted:

yep. oils of accuracy also carry a lot of weight in the early game with that +2, as do ethel's giant strength elixirs if you stay away from the wetlands.

you can still buy elixirs from her in the tea house until you force a confrontation

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Black Noise posted:

I ascended as origin Astarion. Never thought about just burning the company down because leadership is just the worst? Like sure I could kill the guy or I could kill and send them to hell. And with an infinite lifespan I could find an adventure that redeems me in the eyes of enough people that this just becomes a footnote in my wiki.

i feel like it’s different to ascend as the origin rather than the companion to the player. he wants to ascend so bad because he’s been tormented for centuries and wants revenge even after seeing cazadors masters head in his room and understanding it’s a cycle of abuse. he doesn’t care because he doesn’t see any other option.

I would argue the same thing about ascending gale. without a pal he’s kind of stalwart about the same blind ambition that got him into a position where he has to eat shoes to survive but without intervention he’ll repeat the same lovely pattern all over again. ascending him is also enabling.

half the game is you telling your pals to stop smashing their dicks with hammers

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The "evil" path for all characters is Hurt People Hurt People: The Videogame

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had no inkling that Gale’s ascended ending was a thing. When I talked to him at the epilogue party I was totally shocked. Dude became the freaking god of ambition lmao. Extremely on brand in hindsight. But that twist got me more than maybe any other in the game

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there a keyboard shortcut i might have hit that just shows everythings auras all the time by accident? Somehow everybody just has the glowy outline around them and i can't get it to go away!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Black Noise posted:

What is the leveled spell you’d be doing damage with for the pyroquickness hat to activate? You’re doing a melee attack with a sword instead of shooting a sword shaped flame at them iirc.

grack posted:

The Flame Blade spell summons a scimitar, it's not a spell attack.

that's pretty obvious from my post. it still works to trigger the hat. this is the weird interaction that I'm trying to exploit but I'm wondering if it's worth the payoff for a late game build.

another idea would be to pair it with Barbarian. seems like it'd be a pretty good thematic fit for Karlach actually.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 26, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
You guys might remember a couple of weeks ago that I got frustrated with my second play through because while I was romancing Astarion, I forgot to have Raphael tell him what his back tattoos meant in Act 2, so when I got to Act 3, Astarion dumped me.

I got frustrated, and stopped playing for a couple of weeks. Also keeping in mind that I missed other things like the Owl Bear Cub, and the Mage's Tower.

So I restarted a new game tonight with my first monk build. While on the mindflayer ship, got Shadowheart to Commander Zhalk to drop his flaming sword for La'zael, which I was very excited about.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

crepeface posted:

that's pretty obvious from my post. it still works to trigger the hat.

Okay, then, why bother? You're essentially doing two cantrips worth of damage and a single weapon swing in a round. Given the weapons and equipment available, it's pretty much never going to be better than 3-4 weapons attacks, especially if you get Sharpshooter/Great Weapon Master. Flame Blade at level 3 in the build you're suggesting is going to do ~13 damage. That's pretty pathetic even at midgame. On top of that, you're taking extra damage every round.

It's absolutely, 100% not worth it.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
the fire sword is very good for OP post-Tutorial loot in an RPG (the Platonic Ideal being the Sword of White Woe in Morrowind, but that's a bit out there) and relatively easy enough to snatch up with Shadowheart's help. nice work! :)