Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I used a similar build for my MC and it works extremely well.

An INT Bard/Wizard only loses out on a couple of offensive Bard spells and on the number of Wizard spells learned, but neither is an issue when Wizard offensive spells are much better and in return you get almost full advantages of both Bard and Wizard classes.
I threw 1 level of Lore Cleric of Mystra in there as well, because you can never have enough skill proficiencies and splashing Cleric into anything makes it stronger.

Just use the set int to 17 circlet that is in act 1. My paladin has a 17 int and 18 dex due to act 1 equipment and I basically never switch for any checks

The 18 dex gloves are just nutty, btw. Basically, you go first every battle and hit way more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Just use the set int to 17 circlet that is in act 1.

Or I'll use the Diadem of Arcane Synergy to murderize everything instead.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shwqa posted:

Just use the set int to 17 circlet that is in act 1. My paladin has a 17 int and 18 dex due to act 1 equipment and I basically never switch for any checks

The 18 dex gloves are just nutty, btw. Basically, you go first every battle and hit way more often.
That's stuff great when you get them and throughout Act 2 but by Act 3 there are other items that can use the slot.

The particular Bard/Wizard build I was using didn't use Cha for anything so it's just a dump stat so I can put more into Dex, Con and Int.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Or I'll use the Diadem of Arcane Synergy to murderize everything instead.

I'm not sure if I fully understand that helmet. So if you give an enemy a condition, then you gain arcane synergy. Arcane syngery gives your weapon extra damage based on their spell modifier?

So, a 20 charisma bard would deal with 5 extra damage to their weapon? I'm not really seeing the brokenness, but I am assuming I am missing a lot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

20 Int Bard/Wiz would fire off a magic missile, coupled with that piece of gear that gives you a Lightning Charge on every spell damage instance, and then use a Bonus Action offhand Hand Crossbow to trigger Lightning Charge proc and extra damage from Acuity.

I was using that combo until middle of Act 3.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Very clever. So far, my plan is to hit things really hard, and if they are still alive, then chug a potion of speed and keep hitting.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shwqa posted:

I'm not sure if I fully understand that helmet. So if you give an enemy a condition, then you gain arcane synergy. Arcane syngery gives your weapon extra damage based on their spell modifier?

So, a 20 charisma bard would deal with 5 extra damage to their weapon? I'm not really seeing the brokenness, but I am assuming I am missing a lot.

It matters a lot if you're using weapon attacks that don't use a STR/DEX as a damage base. A classic Bard 5/Paladin 7 build with GWM will get 3-4 attacks per round. If you have 22 Charisma, that's an extra 24 damage per round, a non-trivial amount. Add in stuff like Haste, Bloodlust and Action Surge and that number goes even higher.

There are also some weapons in the game (ex. Infernal Rapier/Sylvan Scimitar) that use a spellcasting stat as their damage modifier, and it would help a lot there as well.

Also, pretty much everything in this game counts as "a condition". If you have musical instrument proficiency (Bard), you could start combat by playing a song, a free action, and every attack gets the modifier.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is there a particular reason I have to make a saving throw against my equipped staff of the ram every time I hide or come out of hiding? :confused:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Paracausal posted:

thanks for the new op!
still crawling through my durge run and gee, they're not holding back huh

I don't know where you are but I can safely say its going to get worse

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Paracausal posted:

thanks for the new op!
still crawling through my durge run and gee, they're not holding back huh

My durge run was immaculate OP

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One nice thing about starting up a Durge run after so many Act 1 rerolls is that you barely waste time in camp because half your party has either died or deserted.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Larian patched the exploit where you could put a vendor's inventory into a pouch or other container and pay 1 gold for it

however you can still stuff their entire inventory into a pouch and pickpocket the pouch with a sleight DC of 1 :shepface:

note that you may end up encumbered.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm impressed by the incredible quality of this game, and I'm enjoying the questing, conversations, and looting, but there's one area of BG3 that is giving me trouble. I'm very unfamiliar with how the specifics of DnD combat works, and I sometimes find the big fights against many different foes overwhelming even on the lowest difficulty settings. I'm guessing there is something important I'm overlooking that would make them more manageable – crowd control spells, consumables, cleaving attacks? – but I have no idea where to begin, since I don't know the rules well enough to understand which potential tools have value. There of course are additional facets of the game such as character builds and party compositions that contribute to the outcome of fights too, but I don't know if I should go that far in depth yet.

Do any of you more experienced players have simple recommendations that will ease a new player into doing better with combat? (I know about healing potions, shared inventories, and bonus actions, so that's a good start)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pellisworth posted:

Larian patched the exploit where you could put a vendor's inventory into a pouch or other container and pay 1 gold for it

however you can still stuff their entire inventory into a pouch and pickpocket the pouch with a sleight DC of 1 :shepface:

note that you may end up encumbered.
Did they ever patch out buying their affinity up to positive then sleep-picking their entire inventory unopposed?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Forsythia posted:

I'm impressed by the incredible quality of this game, and I'm enjoying the questing, conversations, and looting, but there's one area of BG3 that is giving me trouble. I'm very unfamiliar with how the specifics of DnD combat works, and I sometimes find the big fights against many different foes overwhelming even on the lowest difficulty settings. I'm guessing there is something important I'm overlooking that would make them more manageable – crowd control spells, consumables, cleaving attacks? – but I have no idea where to begin, since I don't know the rules well enough to understand which potential tools have value. There of course are additional facets of the game such as character builds and party compositions that contribute to the outcome of fights too, but I don't know if I should go that far in depth yet.

Do any of you more experienced players have simple recommendations that will ease a new player into doing better with combat? (I know about healing potions, shared inventories, and bonus actions, so that's a good start)

where are you at in the game? what is your party setup and how are you approaching fights?

like the OP recommends, Examine enemies to see what effects they have. pay attention to environmental stuff, most encounters have several ways to approach them and you should absolutely "cheese" encounters instead of just fighting them head-on. yeet people off cliffs, stuff like that.

Shumagorath posted:

Did they ever patch out buying their affinity up to positive then sleep-picking their entire inventory unopposed?

idk I've not tried that one

edit: I'm not sure there's much point in exploits and cheese for a bunch of gold other than early on in Act 1, but it is quite nice to buy a bunch of nice stuff at level 3-4-5 at that point in the game.

Don't forget that vendor inventories refresh on character level-up and on long rest.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 10, 2023

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Forsythia posted:

Here are some simple things that you don't have to go far out of your way to do!

Gale the wizard makes for a great Evoker. An Evocation wizard gets a bonus where their aoe spells don't hurt your friends. Take area of effect spells with him! This is a great way to deal with massive numbers of enemies!

A bit further along Shadowheart can learn the "Spirit Guardians" spell which surrounds her with a great damage effect! It's concentration, so it helps to take a perk like war caster to help keep it up. Once you have it whirring you can just run around with her smacking everything she can get within range of and repeat each turn!

Wyll can learn spells like Cloud of Daggers and Hunger of Hadar which are great for grinding up groups too.

Also keep in mind, it's totally fine to say 'I'm not ready for this fight' and go back and get some xp and come back and try it again later. There's no one way to go through the game and especially in act 1 you're really not supposed to just bee line towards the plot advancing as you'll end up under-leveled if you don't do any side stuff!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Yes. The 1g bag trick was the followup but that's gone now too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

exquisite tea posted:

There's kind of no point to making a custom Wizard, is there? Sorc does pretty much everything they do but 2x while also acing their speech checks and you gotta play as Gale to get some of the best spellcaster buffs.

Correct, although you should give your sorcerer 1 level of wizard so you can learn Art of War and scribe a few utility scrolls. not sure what you mean about the caster buffs

Jack Trades posted:

Sorcerers don't have the flexibility that Wizards have, who can just switch spells in and out depending on what the problem is.
And also if you play a custom Wizard then you won't have to interact with Gale.
So it's a win/win.

You don’t really need the flexibility though, there’s only a relatively small handful of spells actually worth using,and you get more than enough spells to play with as a sorc; especially if you have another character who can cast a handful of the ritual spells.

Chain lightning
Art of War (needs 1 level of wizard to scribe)
Ice Storm
Blight
Greater Invisibility
Fireball
Lightning bolt
haste
Fly
Scorching Rays
Magic Missile
Shield
longstrider

That’s basically the full list of arcane spells that are actually worth using and you can honestly cut Fly Later on since you can give everyone the ability to fly if you want via ilithid Powers or items. There a couple others that have marginal early game utility but which you can replace later. The long term summoning spells are ok too if you want to roleplay that kind of Caster, but there isn’t really a pressing need for them when combats are over so quickly.

Edit: Forgot Counterspell. You definitely want that. I’d probably cut longstrider for it, there are so many other classes that can cast it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 10, 2023

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Imo Cloud of Daggers is really only good in narrow spaces. Your foes aren't dumb, they'll go right around it if they can. Hunger of Hadar and Cloudkill have the luxury of being fuckhuge.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I’m in the House of Hope and after the latest hotfix I’m getting some weird graphics/glitches. Mostly it’s fine, but when I’m in a cutscene there is a weird kind of vibration on the focus character?

Besides that, the game seems to be struggling with Jaheira. Her weapons don’t appear on her hands, and when she moves it will sometimes reset her to where she was in a prior turn and then move her from there. When she makes an action there is often a weird long pause where her bar is greyed like she’s used her action, but it hasn’t actually happened. I can right click to cancel out or just wait and it eventually triggers.

The other characters are all fine.

Any advice on how to fix it?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Forsythia if you let us know your party setup we can recommend some specific tactics and such. You don't need to min/max and respec everyone, if we have an idea of how you're set up we can give you some specific advice.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The battlemaster maneuvers Lae'zel comes with by default are pretty powerful and it's one of the best classes in the game for that reason. They also refresh on a short rest so don't be that afraid to use them. Sneak attacks are also extremely good if you can get them. Also don't forget you can always respec/reset characters if you feel like something isn't working out, no shame in going to withers and building something, testing it out a little and reloading if you don't think it's gonna work!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

grack posted:

It matters a lot if you're using weapon attacks that don't use a STR/DEX as a damage base. A classic Bard 5/Paladin 7 build with GWM will get 3-4 attacks per round. If you have 22 Charisma, that's an extra 24 damage per round, a non-trivial amount. Add in stuff like Haste, Bloodlust and Action Surge and that number goes even higher.

There are also some weapons in the game (ex. Infernal Rapier/Sylvan Scimitar) that use a spellcasting stat as their damage modifier, and it would help a lot there as well.

Also, pretty much everything in this game counts as "a condition". If you have musical instrument proficiency (Bard), you could start combat by playing a song, a free action, and every attack gets the modifier.

yea that circlet basically reads ‘add your charisma modifier to weapon damage’. If you’re playing a class that primarily attacks with a weapon and wants high CHA it’s pretty much BiS the whole game. It’s definitely not optimal to use Infernal rapier just for that though, you’re better off being dex based and leaving your CHA at 16, since bardadins don’t really actually need CHA for that much besides dialogue checks

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I thought I read in the patch notes they changed/fixed the circlet for that very reason, it was counting almost anything in the game as a "condition"

is it still busted good or is it actually working as intended now?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Probably only fixed in Honour mode where they tweaked damage riders.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Shwqa posted:

and 17 int is totally fine for a build that is 1 level of wizard just for extra spells on top of being a different caster class. There are so many spells where your caster stat is totally irellevant

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Forsythia posted:

1. Playing defensively is usually not correct. You can’t outheal damage in this game, healing is something you do to make use of bonus actions where you have nothing better to do, and to emergency revive downed characters.

2. Combat usually comes down to, you want to try and take out enemies as soon as possible so they stop being able to damage you. Especially early on, this means focusing on one at a time, though later you’ll have enough AOE capability to take out groups at once

3. Very early on, when your characters can’t reliably hit the broad side of a barn, it can be helpful to use spells that incapacitate some enemies so they can’t attack you (also an enemy that is tripped over or restrained in some way is easier to hit); but this becomes a waste of time as you get more powerful

4. Focus on making your characters do as much damage as possible, and hit as often as possible. This means giving fighters a 2h weapon, or dual wielding; not 1h and shield. Other characters like paladins and bards are ok with a 1h weapon and shield because much of their damage comes from add on effects.

5. Companions tend to have poor default builds/stat distributions, in particular shadowheart, respeccing her to light cleric and fixing her stats will make a big difference.

6. You’ll do more damage in the early to mid game dual wielding 1h weapons (as long as your character has access to 2 weapon fighting style) than you will with a 2 handed weapon.

7. Try and have a balanced party composition that covers all your bases, especially as a new player. It doesn’t have to be crazy optimised, if you have a Fighter, a Cleric and a Sorcerer or wizard, plus one extra class of your choosing you’ll do fine.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Probably only fixed in Honour mode where they tweaked damage riders.

the bg3 wiki is a really good resource and I haven't found it to be inaccurate anywhere: https://bg3.wiki/

of course the wiki could be wrong but it lists the change as for all difficulties https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Guide:Undocumented_Patch_5_updates#Item_changes

quote:

Diadem of Arcane Synergy now only gives Arcane Synergy when you inflict an effect on an enemy (Threatened doesn't count). Previously, it would activate whenever you inflicted any effect on anything.

it's still a neat item but it might be working as intended now

edit: I don't have a handy save to test it or I would because I'm curious

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

the bg3 wiki is a really good resource and I haven't found it to be inaccurate anywhere: https://bg3.wiki/

of course the wiki could be wrong but it lists the change as for all difficulties https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Guide:Undocumented_Patch_5_updates#Item_changes

it's still a neat item but it might be working as intended now

I’ll have to test it, if Larian ever gets around to giving Mac users a patch so they can play the game again. Depending on how loosely they define ‘condition’ it’s probably still worth using, but if you have to spend your first action in a combat doing anything other than attacking an enemy to trigger it, then the item is hot garbage.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol on my Galethrough Astarian tries to drink my blood but apparently I taste like poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shard posted:

lol on my Galethrough Astarian tries to drink my blood but apparently I taste like poo poo.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Shard posted:

It’s orbin time!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Thinking about doing an actual Durge run, anything I need to know about College of Swords or does it play pretty straightforwardly? This is only on normal

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Thinking about doing an actual Durge run, anything I need to know about College of Swords or does it play pretty straightforwardly? This is only on normal

it's straightforward and it rules. you get medium armor and scimitar proficiencies and an extra attack at level 6, plus you can use your Inspiration charges to make extra attacks and other stuff. Bard as your PC is great all-around, face character and you bring a ton of utility and fight good too.

edit: if you want to lean into a weapon attack blender, Swords bard combos really well with paladin, pact of blade warlock. note that blade pact warlock extra attack stacks in difficulties other than Honour which gets pretty busted

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 10, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i thought i was getting close to done with underdark

and then i got on the boat

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It’s great. Assuming you’re going dex based as is typical, you’ll end up with crazy high AC. You’ve got one flourish that lets you do full damage to 2 enemies at once, and another that adds 4 AC till the end of turn. The flourishes also do an extra 1d8 damage.

If you’re debating whether to go 2 weapon or duelist, know that there is an insanely powerful rapier in act 3 that requires you to not be holding anything in your off hand.

If you want to get fancy, consider going sword bard 6, then taking 2 levels of paladin - you can configure paladin smites to trigger via the reaction menu, so you do your flourish, and you get a pop up asking whether you want to expend a spell slot for a smite, this way you can stack the damage and also smite 2 enemies per attack using the flourish that lets you hit 2 enemies. You can either go back to leveling bard for the last 4 levels or take 4 levels in champion fighter for the extra action and more crit chance.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
you can also do a ranged build as Swords bard, that works well too. Early on go dual hand crossbows or there's a short bow sold by Dammon in the druid grove that lets you cast Hunter's Mark and has advantage vs. Monstrosities, plus the gloves sold in the goblin camp that give +2 ranged damage

I don't see people talk about the elemental arrows much but they're quite strong early on, don't forget to use 'em if you've got a ranged character. It's an extra 2d4 damage in small area and inflicts the relevant elemental status effect.

I'm doing a Swords bard on my Honour playthrough and it's working really well. Stayed mostly at range early on until I got a good set of medium armor and now I melee more. You can do both at once.

another nice part of going Bard is you can easily cover thiefy tasks as well as face

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I got to level 8 on a multiplayer campaign but had to restart to a single player campaign and am just at level 4 now. Currently using a crossbow-oriented ranger as my custom character, and Astarion, Shadowheart, and Lae'zel with their starter builds. I know you can easily redo the playable character's specializations and classes and have heard that Shadowheart really should be redone, but I've held off because I don't know what I should be picking. Normally I don't have any trouble with selecting and experimenting with worthwhile abilities and builds for characters in RPGs and would just wing it, but something about the DnD combat ruleset overwhelms me and gives me choice paralysis.

I didn't feel like using Gale or Wyll and have never respecced, so I've barely dipped a toe into what offensive casters do. Sounds like I need to swap in an offense-based spellcaster, since including one is highly recommended.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Forsythia posted:

I got to level 8 on a multiplayer campaign but had to restart to a single player campaign and am just at level 4 now. Currently using a crossbow-oriented ranger as my custom character, and Astarion, Shadowheart, and Lae'zel with their starter builds. I know you can easily redo the playable character's specializations and classes and have heard that Shadowheart really should be redone, but I've held off because I don't know what I should be picking. Normally I don't have any trouble with selecting and experimenting with worthwhile abilities and builds for characters in RPGs and would just wing it, but something about the DnD combat ruleset overwhelms me and gives me choice paralysis.

I didn't feel like using Gale or Wyll and have never respecced, so I've barely dipped a toe into what offensive casters do. Sounds like I need to swap in an offense-based spellcaster, since including one is highly recommended.

Shadowheart’s problem, aside from trickery being garbage, is that her stats are split up across strength and dex in a way that makes her super useless in combat. You can respec her to light, and give her 17 wis/16 str/14 con/10 dex

As for wizards and sorcerers, they are very powerful but start out quite weak early on. Level 5 is where they really kick off, because that’s when you get fireball and lightning bolt which can do high damage to a bunch of enemies at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
You don't need to swap your party just turn Shadowheart into an offensive flavor of Cleric, either Light (fire, radiant damage) or Thunder (lightning, thunder, radiant). Her base Trickery domain is kinda bleh.

In D&D, there's no real point in having odd values of stats, which is why it's helpful to respec some of your companions. For example, medium armor wearers want 14 Dex and everyone wants even numbers of Constitution (preferably 14 but 12 is okay I suppose).

Following from the Swords bard conversation, you might consider swapping your PC to a bard. That would give you some arcane spells, offensive casting if you want, and a Swords bard makes an excellent archer type.

edit: lol efb we made the same comment basically.

Regarding stats, you want to max out your main offensive stat, 14 Dex for anyone not wearing heavy armor, and preferably 14 Con.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 10, 2023