Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Docjowles posted:

lol I had googled the creche Inquisitor fight on honor mode and there was a bunch of noise about how it was by far the hardest encounter in act 1 and everyone loses their run there. Was dreading it but I killed that MFer in one round

On to act 2! Or do I slaughter all the Gith for XP and gold first and risk dying pointlessly :thunk:

really? I thought his was p easy and nere's was a lot scarier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Saraiguma posted:

really? I thought his was p easy and nere's was a lot scarier

I mean I was just basing it off Reddit posts which I should know better than by now. Nere was much scarier in practice

Woolie Wool posted:

The House of Grief fight is easily the toughest in the poat-early game so far, so, so, so many guys, I think I counted 14 of them. Other than that the late game has been easy for me, I'm expecting the encounter with Raphael will also kick my rear end all over the place.

I would rate Grief as the hardest fight in the game for what it’s worth, followed by Cazador

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hellbore posted:

I feel like they were trying to run as far as possible from having the halflings and Gnomes look absolutely anything like children, for fairly understandable and good reasons.

Hmm, I hadn't considered this and I suppose it's certainly possible. I still think there's got to be some way to get to "short elf" and make it work instead of panicking and veering towards .5x where x = Joe Madden.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Docjowles posted:

I would rate Grief as the hardest fight in the game for what it’s worth, followed by Cazador
I’d only rate them this way if you don’t bring Chain Lighting and water to Grief, or Shadowheart to Cazador.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

House of Grief was tough the first time I played it, but I managed Cazador and Raphael without anyone going down and I think that's largely down to luck in terms of who I brought to the fights and how I'd geared them. I could see any of the boss fights in the game causing a restart the first time you encounter them.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I mean I was just basing it off Reddit posts which I should know better than by now. Nere was much scarier in practice

I completely waltzed through the Cazador fight simply by having Astarion stay back until the fight had already started, and then sneak in and start stealth archering people while my martials held the line and Gale unloaded all his most powerful evocation spells.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
my dark urge had a stupid urge and put auntie ethels mask on. how do i get it off him? laezel knocked his rear end out and hes just lying there

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Eau de MacGowan posted:

my dark urge had a stupid urge and put auntie ethels mask on. how do i get it off him? laezel knocked his rear end out and hes just lying there

Got a protection from evil and good scroll or spell?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Is there a compiled list of Oathbreaking actions somewhere? Figure I'll commit all my religious crimes before paying the fine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I asked my wife if she could do her hair and makeup more like my Tav and that I thought it might help fix some of the problems we've been having in the boudoir and now shes staying with her sister help me how can I get her to play BG3 with me so she understands

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

The House of Grief fight is easily the toughest in the poat-early game so far, so, so, so many guys, I think I counted 14 of them. Other than that the late game has been easy for me, I'm expecting the encounter with Raphael will also kick my rear end all over the place.

The hardest fights to me in the third act are House of Grief, House of Hope, The Tribunal, and the final fight. The best way to tackle those fights is to not fight on their terms. Use location to your advantage, throw people off cliffs etc.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

kill the hag, and then take the mask off.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Nephthys posted:

One thing I missed was how every party member had their own dream guardian that was trying to seduce them, like Lae'zel had Vlaakith, Wyll had Mizora, Gale had Mystra and Shadowheart had some dude she's lost her memories of (who apparantly turns out to be Nere, as part of another cut plotline where he was a Shar worshipper). That was a big draw for me to play as the Karlach origin, since I figured hers would be Zariel or something similar.

I imagine this would have felt like a bit of a retread of their plot in Divinity Original Sin 2

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bird with big dick posted:

I asked my wife if she could do her hair and makeup more like my Tav and that I thought it might help fix some of the problems we've been having in the boudoir and now shes staying with her sister help me how can I get her to play BG3 with me so she understands

Did you remember to gift her the six dump trucks worth of incense? That's an incredibly important step.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shard posted:

The hardest fights to me in the third act are House of Grief, House of Hope, The Tribunal, and the final fight. The best way to tackle those fights is to not fight on their terms. Use location to your advantage, throw people off cliffs etc.

I struggled a bit with the tribunal until I realized that everyone else despawns when Sarevok dies. So I just blast him and the fight is over in like 10 second making his whole Extremely Serious Lord Of Murder shtick very funny.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Well maybe if you would put on the Enver Gortash costume like she asked you wouldn't have this problem!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Docjowles posted:

I struggled a bit with the tribunal until I realized that everyone else despawns when Sarevok dies. So I just blast him and the fight is over in like 10 second making his whole Extremely Serious Lord Of Murder shtick very funny.

>lord of murder
>gets murdered
what did he mean by this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

“What’re gonna do, murder me?” says murder tribunal that was murdered

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Extremely poor planning to be vulnerable to Hold Person by that point in the game. It turns out Lae’zel slamming you with nine guaranteed crits in one round is not generally survivable no matter how legendary a villain you are.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
Lords of Survivability and Sensible planning are tucked away elsewhere, like the rest of them carebear elf hippies that serve, idk, Ilmater or somesuch, prolly murdering each other with boredom - talking about sustainable development and supply chain management. No one wants to fight those guys.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Goatson posted:

Lords of Survivability and Sensible planning are tucked away elsewhere, like the rest of them carebear elf hippies that serve, idk, Ilmater or somesuch, prolly murdering each other with boredom - talking about sustainable development and supply chain management. No one wants to fight those guys.

Well yeah, their logistics are too good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Docjowles posted:

It's always a good idea to laugh at him.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Did you approach her with the idea like this: "YOU PUT THOSE HORNS ON AND YOU KEEP A SMILE ON YOUR FACE STOP CRYING."

Because that could be your problem, if so.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I like to have a warlock toss down Hunger of Hadar to keep the death knights tied up until I can kill him

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I like to have a warlock toss down Hunger of Hadar to keep the death knights tied up until I can kill him

You know what's even more effective?

Closing the door. The Knights will just stand around with their thumbs up their collective asses while you wail on Sarevok. You don't even have to use something like Arcane Lock to keep the door closed.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

grack posted:

You know what's even more effective?

Closing the door. The Knights will just stand around with their thumbs up their collective asses while you wail on Sarevok. You don't even have to use something like Arcane Lock to keep the door closed.

it's called being polite

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

wizard2 posted:

it's called being polite

They are Knights, after all. Unlike SOME of you fools who whine about breaking your oaths when you make undeclared attacks on your enemies, some people in this world have a little thing called Chivalrie

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Turns out Raphael wasn't ready for my innovative "haste everybody, cast Perilous Stakes, hit him until he dies" strategy. Kind of disappointed he went down in two turns, really.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

WASD mod broke my game and now I find I can't play without it. :argh:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Woolie Wool posted:

Turns out Raphael wasn't ready for my innovative "haste everybody, cast Perilous Stakes, hit him until he dies" strategy. Kind of disappointed he went down in two turns, really.

He is a 2 pump chump, it is known

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Kinda late-ish on this but honourwise I do think Grief is probably the hardest fight all told just because there are so many opponents who can actually do relevant things to you, but I will say that if you don't come in with a game plan and burst him down but quick then Cazador will loving dumpster you, the extra 6 or 7d10 necrotic every time he deals damage is no joke.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Raphael was an order of magnitude more difficult than Cazador for me. Finally finished the game yesterday goddamn it was good. I went through as a dumb but noble half-orc paladin. gonna start a durge right away.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Cazman was super easy back when you could just shove him off the balcony, now I think he’s probably the hardest fight in Honor Mode if you don’t metagame it with Astarion beforehand. Very low number of turns to get things under control and unlike most Act 3 fights not simply something that can automatically be solved by casting Globe of Invulnerability. The final fight can be a little rough too with a low INT party that eats every single Mind Blast, although by then you’ve probably built up an insurmountable advantage with gear and buffs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m still in the grove, just heading out to find the missing leader.

I’m trying to role play as a charismatic, slightly bewildered, slightly kind, willing to break the rules sorcerer. Like a generally good dude who is just kind of confused by the whole alien abduction and tadpole thing. He’s just trying to make the best of it.

I’m finding it a bit difficult to actually role play that though.
  • The dialogue options are sometimes ambiguous in terms of how npcs will react. Like will they interpret this as a light teasing or as a grave insult?
  • My companions seem to disprove of most of my poo poo. I’m especially surprised by the reactions from Astarion and from Wyll. Astarion is way more violent and evil in approve/disapprove actions than his aloof personality would have me believe. And the lack of approval is curious because at camp Astarion and Shadowheart are at least beginning an inkling of wanting to have to have sex with Tav.

I think the only companion who generally likes my goofy, charismatic, just-trying-to-get-by-but-good-hearted roleplay Tav personality is Gale.

What was your experience with companion reactions? Are my companions always going to be off put by my Tav roleplay? Does it matter?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I freaking love this game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think which fight is difficult more comes down to what you bring to it.

I fought Cazador/Grief for the first time on Tactician and didn't find either that difficult since my party had a lot of ability to mow through tons of weaker mobs. Raphael once I broke the pillars (yeah don't do that) cost everything I had to beat.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m still in the grove, just heading out to find the missing leader.

I’m trying to role play as a charismatic, slightly bewildered, slightly kind, willing to break the rules sorcerer. Like a generally good dude who is just kind of confused by the whole alien abduction and tadpole thing. He’s just trying to make the best of it.

I’m finding it a bit difficult to actually role play that though.
  • The dialogue options are sometimes ambiguous in terms of how npcs will react. Like will they interpret this as a light teasing or as a grave insult?
  • My companions seem to disprove of most of my poo poo. I’m especially surprised by the reactions from Astarion and from Wyll. Astarion is way more violent and evil in approve/disapprove actions than his aloof personality would have me believe. And the lack of approval is curious because at camp Astarion and Shadowheart are at least beginning an inkling of wanting to have to have sex with Tav.

I think the only companion who generally likes my goofy, charismatic, just-trying-to-get-by-but-good-hearted roleplay Tav personality is Gale.

What was your experience with companion reactions? Are my companions always going to be off put by my Tav roleplay? Does it matter?

I would say it doesn’t matter all that much. You can get companions to leave but it generally requires reaching a point where they are about to achieve their greatest goal in life and then blocking them from doing it. “So and so disapproves” is usually a very small swing in your alignment. Lae’zel disapproved of basically everything I did and we still romanced.

Astarion and Lae’zel will definitely disapprove a lot if you’re RPing “good”. They don’t necessarily want you to be straight up evil but they do NOT put up with bullshit and dislike backing down.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Kinda late-ish on this but honourwise I do think Grief is probably the hardest fight all told just because there are so many opponents who can actually do relevant things to you, but I will say that if you don't come in with a game plan and burst him down but quick then Cazador will loving dumpster you, the extra 6 or 7d10 necrotic every time he deals damage is no joke.

i think people struggle with grief because the game really favors a "death is the best cc" approach for nearly every other encounter, and grief has too many mobs for that. casting confusion a couple of times will trivialize it.

cazador would be very difficult if they weren't undead, but the game throws incredible anti-undead gear at you. war caster shadowheart running spirit guardians can basically solo it with radiant orbs and lathander.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A single wall of fire makes house of grief pretty fun - especially if you have blackhole to keep putting everyone back in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zodium posted:

i think people struggle with grief because the game really favors a "death is the best cc" approach for nearly every other encounter, and grief has too many mobs for that. casting confusion a couple of times will trivialize it.

cazador would be very difficult if they weren't undead, but the game throws incredible anti-undead gear at you. war caster shadowheart running spirit guardians can basically solo it with radiant orbs and lathander.

By the time House of Grief rolls around I usually have a Level 12 Lae'zel with Alert so she begins the encounter pingponging between Sharrans like she just picked up the power hammer in Smash Bros.