Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm impressed by the incredible quality of this game, and I'm enjoying the questing, conversations, and looting, but there's one area of BG3 that is giving me trouble. I'm very unfamiliar with how the specifics of DnD combat works, and I sometimes find the big fights against many different foes overwhelming even on the lowest difficulty settings. I'm guessing there is something important I'm overlooking that would make them more manageable – crowd control spells, consumables, cleaving attacks? – but I have no idea where to begin, since I don't know the rules well enough to understand which potential tools have value. There of course are additional facets of the game such as character builds and party compositions that contribute to the outcome of fights too, but I don't know if I should go that far in depth yet.

Do any of you more experienced players have simple recommendations that will ease a new player into doing better with combat? (I know about healing potions, shared inventories, and bonus actions, so that's a good start)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I got to level 8 on a multiplayer campaign but had to restart to a single player campaign and am just at level 4 now. Currently using a crossbow-oriented ranger as my custom character, and Astarion, Shadowheart, and Lae'zel with their starter builds. I know you can easily redo the playable character's specializations and classes and have heard that Shadowheart really should be redone, but I've held off because I don't know what I should be picking. Normally I don't have any trouble with selecting and experimenting with worthwhile abilities and builds for characters in RPGs and would just wing it, but something about the DnD combat ruleset overwhelms me and gives me choice paralysis.

I didn't feel like using Gale or Wyll and have never respecced, so I've barely dipped a toe into what offensive casters do. Sounds like I need to swap in an offense-based spellcaster, since including one is highly recommended.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'll respec Shadowheart into something more offensively oriented. Thank you for the specific tips on how to build her, The Lord Bude!

I'm not very married to being a crossbow ranger, and if people say sword bard is versatile and competent, I want to give it a shot. I have no idea where to begin with it though, as I have never touched the bard class. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what exactly I should be doing with it?

I'm grateful for all the advice for the combat side of BG3. I really like everything else about it, so this will help me enjoy the game a lot more as a whole.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm glad this thread taught me that Longstrider is effectively free. That's a game-changer! I'm still pretty bad at the combat because I only have a tenuous understanding of the mechanics, though. I don't have the patience to learn how to properly use Rogues' offensive tools, but I'd still like to take Astarion with me, so I'm thinking of changing his class.

Does anyone have recommendations for a simple and effective physical offense-based specialization for midgame? I don't need a lot of specifics, I'm just looking for a basic build that is functional. Multi-classing is disabled, my party's level 8, I have access to most areas and vendors in Act 2, and I probably have access to build-defining equipment that is offered by that point.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I've heard people talking about throwing and Tavern Brawler focused builds as being simple and effective for newbies, but I need some more elaboration on how that kind of build works before I'd go for it myself.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
For throwing-based builds: I'm long past the goblin camp, so I don't have access to that recommended throwing weapon. Are there any reasonably-obtainable alternatives in Act 2?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
A while ago, I asked this thread about simple and effective midgame melee DPS builds that don't require multi-classing. I was told I missed a critical item for a throwing-specialized Barbarian in Act 1 and won't find a comparable one until Act 3, and was recommended a throwing-specialized Eldritch Knight. Thing is, I tried building one as suggested, and its damage sucks. I've tested it out in four different fights, and the recommended Charge-Bound Warhammer seems to do a static 5 damage per throw, which is abysmally low. I'm not sure what to do from here. Is there something critical I'm missing, or should I seek an alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Oh yeah, I made sure to grab Tavern Brawler and crank up the Fighter's strength stat. So the problem was that I was recommended a weapon that doesn't actually scale with throwing? Good to know, I'm so unfamiliar with DnD's systems I didn't catch that.

I just actually got the Lightning Jabber. So if I bind that as an Eldritch Knight's pact weapon, I can throw it infinitely for decent reliable ranged damage? If that is indeed how it works, is there anything else basic that I need to know about how to make this build and weapon work well?