Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Saraiguma posted:

out if curiosity if I kill both (act 2 durge spoilers) isobel and the fairy am I in for a rough time?

You can get a second moonlantern inside of Moonrise Towers, so you'll just have to hold out until you get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

endgame qustion: is there a situation where you need to use more than 4 characters?

There's no point at which you'll be using more than 4 party members at once without mods, if that's what you're wondering.

You have to bring Shadowheart to the point of no return in act 2 if you don't want her to leave your party, and you have to bring Jaheira in act 3 if you want to save Minsc. Other than that, you can use whatever party you see fit; characters may want to be brought along to specific quests, and may be able to give you specific benefits if you bring them, but you won't be locked out of anything for not bringing them.

isndl posted:

Gotta get that sweet EXP! Same reason why you diplomance everyone before you stab them in the back as they turn to leave peacefully.

This mostly doesn't work in BG3: characters you talk out of fighting you are normally set to not give any XP if you later kill them. Things like the owlbear that you can avoid dealing with entirely are an exception, of course, but it's not like there's a shortage of XP in the game.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 13, 2023

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Entropic posted:

I'm still extremely unclear on the whole ceremorphosis thing, a lot of stuff makes it sound like the person who hatches a mindflayer basically dies and their soul is destroyed and they're replaced by a mind flayer who has all their memories but is a different person? But then a bunch of stuff in this game seems to suggest that's not the case and it's basically just that you're the same person but you grow tentacles and get psychic powers.

The game is pretty vague about it, I think -- or rather, it says a few different things and you kind of have to work to get them to not contradict each other. Every mindflayer you can have an actual conversation with in the game is some kind of special case that might not work the way normal mindflayers work. If you turn Orpheus into a mindflayer and then pick certain conversation options at the end of the game he can ask you to kill him while he's still got his soul, and Withers also confirms that he's still himself during the final area, so whatever happens it apparently isn't an immediate or 100% guaranteed thing.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I think one of the most interesting notes in that interview is that Orin did originally always kidnap your romance partner if you had one, and they changed it because playtesters hated it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

Hi thread! Could someone give me a rundown of how local coop for BG3 works? I googled and feel like I’m reading contradicting things. Debating picking it up for my wife and I to try out but want to be able to give her the right expectations going in, ha. Basically looking for some info on how integrated player 2 is. Do they get to make story decisions and have their player character participate in cutscenes and stuff (thinking of like party choices in SWTOR), or is it more just a silent companion who happens to be player controlled while P1 gets all the glory? Combat duties split, etc.

Basically, whichever player triggers any given event gets to be "player 1" for that event, and the other player gets to watch. Sometimes it felt kinda random which player the game would pick to be in charge for a story event.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Can you elaborate on point 1? What stacking is intentional and which is unintentional?

This page on the wiki should list all the specific changes.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Greaseman posted:

Alas, in the second act I had some thoughts along the lines of 'I don't want to risk facing a guy who is invulnerable while I have no counter to that. That kind of combat sequence is really annoying. I will find some way to deal with that issue before I engage with Moonrise towers. I blindly trust that this won't get me drawn immediately into the end of the act and make me miss a bunch of stuff.'

For what it's worth, while you've missed a couple of major sidequests with some pretty big rewards (including some stuff that continues on into act 3), you haven't derailed the main story or anything. It's not like you can see everything in one playthrough anyway so you might as well keep going and not stress out about it too much.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Fane is the best character. He has the most tie-in to the overarching plot, by far.

A bit like durge for BG3 but more so

On the other hand, if the thing you liked about Dark Urge was "struggling against a mysterious internal force that wants you to murder things", that's Lohse.

Ifan is also fairly closely connected to the main quest but doesn't get as much unique stuff to do as Fane.

Sebille gets to do Elf Stuff, the Beast gets to do Dwarf Stuff, and the Red Prince gets to do Lizard Stuff. Sebille and Red Prince get a decent amount of plot throughout the game but the Dwarf Stuff is kind of back-loaded into one area near the end.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Jose posted:

If I'm hidden and kill/pickpocket someone how come I keep getting caught, particularly if I didn't fail the pickpocket

If you're carrying a stolen item its owner will eventually notice that it's missing and then notice that it's sticking out of your backpack. I always send stolen items directly to camp, which seems to prevent that.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Runa posted:

D&D has notoriously had a longrunning issue with Always Alignment, directly related to the problems with the concept of codifying personal values as "Alignments." Alignment is both the laziest and least interesting way to treat morality or agency in a setting and having designated Always Evil entries was always a sign of hack writing.

Even in Tolkien's work, having Always Evil races was a weakness of his worldbuilding and he was deeply conflicted about its implications once he had time to reflect.

Alignment is a legacy of when D&D was a wargame and your alignment was what team you're on. You can see this in some of the really weird baggage of early editions like alignment languages, which are special secret languages that are spoken by everyone of a particular alignment and instantly forgotten if you change to a different alignment.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Something similiar happened to me in my last playthrough -- The dialogue when Shadowheart approached Viconia was the same but she was only knocked out instead of being killed, despite not having non-lethal attacks enabled. I was able to loot her as normally though and didn't attempt to revive her.

I think the knockout part is supposed to happen but the dialogue after it seems to be buggy for a lot of people. In my case she was sitting in the middle of a Cloud of Daggers when she got knocked out, so she died the next turn anyway. I figured she might be meant to have some post-battle dialogue but I shrugged and decided there was nothing she might have to say that I wanted to hear badly enough to redo that fight.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Can I just say that clicking on the Shadow Vestiges in Act 2 yields some of the bleakest and most grim narration from the DM in the entire game. Some real Cormac McCarthy poo poo.

They remind me a lot of the spirits you could talk to in Divinity: Original Sin 2, a lot of whom were equally depressing (which at least made you feel less bad about eating them).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

So I just started and if I'm trying to play a good character and wondering how much is this going to interfere with making friends with Lae'zel?

Not very much, for the most part. You get a lot of approval points just from keeping characters in your party as you hit major plot points and get everyone closer to getting un-brainwormed.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

wizard2 posted:

Me and Asterion did his big quest and killed Cazador, rejected the super vampire spell, and let the spawns determine their own fates in the Underdark. His whole little partychat afterwards about breaking the cycle of violence and abuse was surprisingly really sweet. It was good to see him smile!

Astarion has some really good dialogue if you don't play into his worst impulses, including stuff that most people will probably never see. In the House of Hope, a friend agreed to play Haarlep's "game" to see what would happen and most of the party were weirded out but Astarion was sincerely sympathetic to the consequences.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

grack posted:

I'm guessing the devs realized that players will steal everything that isn't nailed down so they kept the values low so as to not completely gently caress the economics.

Paintings were worth a ton of money in Divinity and they've been reduced drastically in value for this one so I think that's exactly what happened.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Slider posted:

Lategame fight problem So I triggered the fight vs Gortash in his room at the top of the fortress, killed him, his guards, and like 3-4 steel watchers that were in the room with him. However, the encounter seems to be glitched and I'm now in combat with like 30 mobs in the room below me, problem is they're bugged and cannot path up to me, and I cannot figure out a way to get out of combat with them since they're so many(like 25+ I think). Any ideas? It was a rather long fight on tactitian, I guess if I have to reload the save I can just lower the difficulty to easy but I'd rather not

Go out the back exit and keep moving until you get away from them? It'll take a while, but...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The mod that tells you when you've got a camp event coming up is pretty handy and probably something Larian should put in the game, coming up with a diegetic reason for it shouldn't be that difficult.

Just have your worm start complaining that it senses something about to go down and wants you to be rested for it, 90% of camp events are things that the Worm Network could plausibly know about anyway

quote:

Speaking of the owlbear cub... I just got back to the owlbear cave and suddenly realized there's no real justification for killing the owlbear mum, is there? Slaughtering wildlife just cos its offspring makes a cute pet seems bad

owlbears are magically created so they basically count as an introduced species wherever they are, it's pest control

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

An Taoiseach posted:

Pro gaming tip for new players- maybe take characters along on their personal quests

Except for Lae'zel and Astarion, who are actually kind of less trouble if you leave them behind and smooth things over afterwards.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

OS1 is admittedly not very strong on actual plot, setting, or characterization but is pretty good in terms of Vibes. As far as combat goes, if your favourite thing about BG3 was using explosive barrels to set absolutely everything on fire or creating icy surfaces to make your enemies do pratfalls, you will have a good time. If not, well, get used to everything being on fire whether you want it to be or not. It's also not super long; I've got 46 hours in it and I think I saw pretty much everything.

OS2 has a lot more meat to it, with the characters and setting both giving you significantly more to engage with. The combat still frequently involves everything around you being on fire, although there are also more skills and spells to play around with if you prefer to go that way.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I just dropped some area denial spells in the entrance hallway and waited out the front with ranged weapons to plink at anyone who got through. This will likely cause a bunch of your NPC allies to get themselves killed, but hey, better them than you.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

That's interesting I just figured he was another shadow druid, knowing nothing about them other that they seem to be emo druids.

Shadow Druids are basically the Earth First movement of the druid world; they prioritize nature above intelligent life, sometimes to the point of trying to destroy settlements that they see as encroaching on the natural world. I think there are a couple of books to that effect somewhere in the game, but nobody really goes out of their way to explain what their whole deal is if you don't find those.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

It's just treasure to sell for money which is mostly a hold over from the first edition where getting loot directly translated into XP. The older games didn't have that loot=XP system but still had droppable bracelets and jewlery and such for extra money.

There was also an optional "Conan the Barbarian" rule, where treasure only translated into XP if you squandered it on partying instead of spending it on things that directly benefited your character as an adventurer... which, now that I think about it, actually feels like it'd fit right into the atmosphere of BG3.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ZearothK posted:

During EA it was a lot easier to piss off the companions, got tuned way way down, as it was kind of unpopular.

I am not sure it is even possible to get a companion to abandon the party for reasons beyond siding with the Goblins in act 1 or loving up their personal quest (or doing it without them).

If you get them down to -50 approval they'll leave, but pretty much the only way to do this is through repeatedly injuring them in combat. It'd be hard to do by accident even if you're completely reckless with friendly fire.

Of course, leaving the party means losing their protection from the brain worms, so after finding out what the artifact does it kinda makes sense that everyone except Jaheira and Halsin would be reluctant to leave even if they really don't like you.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Finished the game just now. It was the best distraction from a bad bout of COVID that I could hope for. Learning 90% of the way through that Larian bowed out and I wasn't going to see any more of these characters made the ending and epilogue more impactful and emotional. I had sixty-ish hours on my save file and did everything I wanted. I looked on the BG3 wiki and saw I missed two or three short-length quests in act 3 that probably would have added a few more hours. I had Karlach in my party until I recruited that very last companion, and then when the end fight was over she reminded me in a sad way that I never completed her personal quest. Whoops. She's the one where it doesn't matter though; in the epilogue she goes back to Avernus and has a blast beating her way to getting a new heart. I also didn't bother with Gale (who I benched after his necrotic aura bug nearly wiped me), Wyll (boring), the Druid guy (boring), or Astarion (didn't trust him after he tried to kill me and then tried to get a midnight snack from me), and all those personal quests could have added more time.

If Karlach went back to Avernus instead of dying, you completed her quest as much as it's possible to do so; there's no way to fully repair her heart within the scope of the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is there a 'what does tali's sweat taste like' breakdown about why egg-born githyanki have breasts

They're monotremes. :science:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I think if you just immediately get killed on purpose and choose to continue, that will also remove the save restriction while keeping the other Honour Mode settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

EricFate posted:

Two dumb things it took me until Act 3 to finally realize.
1) How to perform a non-lethal attack without the special club that does them exclusively. (I never even noticed those sub-category buttons at the bottom of the screen before, and never would have thought to check for a toggle under 'passive')
2) That while throwing a potion bottle to an NPC causes it to shatter on them and cause them to become hostile -- throwing it on the ground next to them counts as them using it via the splash effect.

The game gives you a tutorial on non-lethal attacks when you fight the masked people in the hag's lair in Act 1, but it's possible to miss it if you never went there or turned tutorials off before that. (Now that I think about it, there are multiple pretty important tutorials in that one specific area; there's one on traps too.)