Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

If you're only in it for cool lightning abilities that don't scale off Wisdom, 5 seems like a steep overinvestment. You can probably make it work but a significant amount of your spells are going to be less useful due to having subpar Wisdom, unless you specifically pick spells that don't scale off it (so buff/utility spells).

that said, Tempest Cleric + Smite does sound kind of hilarious, so I really wanna see if it works. Maybe Cleric 2 / Paladin 10? Unless there's something you're very specifically shooting for at Level 5.

I forget the class break but you can do a lighting smite/radiant smite combo using destructive wrath and the guaranteed crit from luck of the far realms and get over 200+ damage in a single turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

Has larian ever stated how many copies they planned to sell? It must be loving wild to sell 22 million plus copies and counting in a few months when your previous game sold 7.5 million over 6 years and was considered a huge success.

They don't even have a physical version out yet lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrianWilly posted:

Tbh no elves in this game are lore-correct for elves. They all just feel like regular humans with pointy ears.
v:v:v

FWIW I think part of that is the melting pot nature of Baldur's Gate the city and likely its surrounding area. If you were to go to an Elven city you'd probably have a lot more elfy elves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phlegmish posted:

Where are you getting 22 million from? More likely, it's still pretty close to that 7.5 million figure from D:OS 2 right now, but considering that it's currently the best-selling game on Steam* (four months after release and at full price), that the Xbox version was just released, and that Christmas is coming up, it should have no trouble reaching at least 10 million by the end of the year.

Via steamspy/steamdb they were saying 20 million on steam alone in Oct. Saw another estimate closer to your 7.5 with no source indicated. :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phlegmish posted:

The spread on SteamDB is so wide as to make the estimations almost useless. According to PlayTracker it's 5.48m, whereas SteamSpy apparently puts it at 27.44m (lol). Probably the only thing we can say with near-certainty is that it's way more than five million at this point.

Can you explain this? Because I don't know much about how they get their estimates but based on steamdb I would assume it's scraping data from steam itself?

e: I'm not disputing, 20 million plus would be completely insane but I'm curious as how their estimates are so inflated

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

unattended spaghetti posted:

All I can say about all this is that it means we are getting more party based games like this in future. Even though a great number are going to be cynical cash grabs as deep as a puddle, I'm still excited for what this success indicates for the next bunch of years for the industry. Truly a watershed moment.

And as much as I crave dlc for the game, I kinda hope they stick to their guns and opt out. It would be easy to get greedy especially when the players themselves are clamoring for it, but a game that succeeds by being a complete product and isn't milked for every dine is a game the rest of the industry can learn from right now.

But really, mega dungeon dlc when?

I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a couple nice meaty expansions, maybe similar to act 1 in size and scope, than wait like 5 years for a sequel. The engine is solid and the game is continuing to be improved and I'd be okay for it being essentially a "platform" for more Faerun adventures for a while. I'm probably an outlier here but I also do not think DLC in places like Avernus or the Astral Plane sound all that interesting, I'd rather travel across Faerun and see other places there, like Waterdeep or Neverwinter.

In any case there's going to be a lot more loving in games in the coming years.

e: what are some of the more fun/busted warlock builds? I've been neglecting him this playthrough and I'm about to do the last part of his storyline in act 3, so I'm going to respec him and get him combat ready. I have the charisma robe and I am contemplating just going all in on Eldritch blasting, but I do have some decent dex weapons as well so I'm open to other suggestions. I kind of like the idea of doing the blade warlock multiclass for 3x attacks if that's still a thing.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 9, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

Bladelock 3x attack still works on everything but Honor Mode, I'm pretty sure. Bard 7/Warlock 5 or Paladin 7/Warlock 5 are both solid for hosed up martial Warlock shenanigans.

Oh yeah I don't have a bard on this run, that will do nicely.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

Remember to give him the ring that lets you cast a Quickened Enchanment/Illusion spell after doing a melee attack so he can follow up Flourish+Smite with a Vicious Mockery!

I don't think I have that. I think I missed a bunch of rings on this run, it was actually the first playthrough I started and I've gone back to finish it, and I played the first 2/3 of the game extremely sub-optimally.

e: What's the best starting subclass? I'm leaning toward great old one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

Have you done the circus on that save yet? You can find it in the Jungle after you piss off the cheating Djinn: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Band_of_the_Mystic_Scoundrel

e: GOOlock is probably the most set-and-forget of the Warlock subclasses. Definitely recommended.

Yeah, all I've got left at this point is the capstone for Wyll and then onto dealing with the rest of the endgame. I already went there and missed out because I accidentally teleported the wrong person who was hilariously incapable of lockpicking.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monathin posted:

Ah, RIP. So it goes.

One thing I actually really like about this game is that there's so much content and so many viable options that I don't really have a problem if I gently caress something up, it's just another thing I can do different next time around.

My fuckup resist durge bard based on my longrunning tabletop pc managed to save a lot more people than my vengeance oath paladin, who was incapable of saving Yenna from Orin. But since I had already seen that on my bard I just rolled with it and said gently caress it, you can't save everyone. Same goes for Rolan in my bard's game. It kinda sucked but he went down vs Lorrokan in mortal wizard combat and that was a kind of depressing but equally viable end to his arc, I think.

There are so many variations of things in this game, I would probably never see them all if this was the only game I played for a year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is there a particular reason I have to make a saving throw against my equipped staff of the ram every time I hide or come out of hiding? :confused:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

isndl posted:

Next time you run into a chest you can't unlock, pick it up and mail it back to camp to unlock later! :eng101:

This fuckin' game

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

It's pretty normal to hit Level 12 around the time you actually get to the titular Baldur's Gate, though that can vary depending on how many questgiving NPCs are dead by that point. That's about the same time the game starts throwing incredibly OP endgame loot at you so there's still some fun character progression to be had.

Yeah Baldur's Gate 3 does the thing every rpg should do, give you time to enjoy playing with your most powerful tools. So many games give you all your best poo poo right before the end and not a second more, and unless they have a new game plus you never really get a chance to enjoy playing around with your 100% tricked out guys. I thought Act 3 was awesome, I respecced so many times just to play around with different multi-class combos and try different builds based on new magical items I'd found.

If the game was balanced so you hit max level at the high hall it would be a big fumble imo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

One thing I would like to see is an NG+ mode where all the gear is normalized to Level 12. Some of the poo poo you find at the very beginning is fun as heck and it would be great if you could just stay in your Lightning set all game if you wanted (you still can but you know what I mean!!!).

Oh yeah for sure, 100% would be down for that. On that note I did keep Shadowheart in that medium radiant armor well into act 3, at least until radiant damage became a liability in some circumstances. :angel:

My first time at house of hope my add phase was messy and I struggled with CC. Things were going poorly enough that I was like "well I'm close enough to the end of the game, time to bust out Shadowheart's divine intervention" (No I didn't even notice that Hope had it at first, shut up I'm bad at games). So I used the radiant tactical nuke to predictable effects. Shadowheart exploded but she did take down quite a few adds in the process. Then I lost two more party members and noticed Hope also had divine intervention and used it for the full party res and salvaged the attempt. A+ encounter

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ah nuts, the thing that hides passive perception checks seems to literally mean perception checks. I just went by a chest and got a bunch of "failed nature save" popups. I was hoping to get rid of all of that.

e: Oh christ it still makes the sounds for rolling even with passive perception fails turned off.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 10, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

unattended spaghetti posted:

I missed the kobolds in the monastery. I haven't ever heard Minthara speak. If I weren't a little gamer brain poisoned the vampire would be dead. I have no idea what variety of permutations exist for the grove. I delivered a package to the zhentarim with no funny business because I wandered into their hideout on accident and really didn't want any trouble. I've used about ten percent or less of the spells in the game. I've not played a monk, bard, warlock, or ranger at all. I didn't see most of the goblin camp interactions because I disguised myself as a drow. I saved the gnome from the windmill and this is the only time I save scummed. I also probably won't see any alternative to that one cause I can't bear the thought of what might happen to the poor little guy.

I really don't know why I feel the need to catalogue all this other than to say I love this game and will probably be playing it for five years lol.

It rules op, the game is so loving reactive you will probably still be finding new poo poo. Multiple playthroughs actually feel distinct and the insane combination of things that lead to unique dialogue options means you're usually not at any sort of loss of ability to role play a pretty specific character. And then there's all the origin characters you can play as and all the unique poo poo you can see with them as the player character.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The game is pretty brutal with lack of auto saves compared to just about anything else released in 2023. I don't really mind personally but I know the feeling of losing hours because I forgot to save. In the case of BG3 though, something that took you hours the first time is likely to go much faster your next time around. My buddies and I just started a multiplayer honor run and we've gone through like a third of act one, just steamrolling poo poo because we've all completed the game multiple times and know how to proceed without wasting our time. Which is important for multiplayer especially. But even then, if I spent say, an hour or so getting through the Gauntlet of Shar, and then lost that progress at the end, I know I could probably get through in half the time because I will have a better idea of how to approach combats and I won't have to spend any time figuring out the puzzles. It's really not that big of a deal in most cases.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Since the recent patch I've had that bug where someone's nose stretches out z axis forever, on two different NPCs. It's very distracting.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Back up your honor mode games.

I have been doing this out of paranoia that I would lose my game to a glitch, and lo and behold I almost did! I had a bug where Karlach wasn't following the rest of the party when grouped, so I figured I'd tell her to go back to camp, join here there, and have her rejoin to reset things. She simply wasn't in camp. I copied back a file I had backed up, and that fixed it.

I was iffy about doing the backup because I don't know if I'll have the self control to delete it when I inevitably wipe, but I'm so glad I did.

My buddies and I started an honor mode playthrough and I very nearly hosed it up by accidentally looting the corpse of one of the people fighting at the entrance to the grove, where you're first introduced to Wyll. Wyll hadn't gone far enough away and aggro'd on our party lol

Luckily you can run away and Wyll will forget he ever saw you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shard posted:

I just started a new campaign as a half elf drow because they have some of the best girl faces. And I'm already thinking about making a Dragonborn durge because I think the default build just looks so neat. They really made an alligator man expressive somehow.

They have the absolute best reaction face to yeeting Barcus in act one. Somewhere between smug satisfaction and "ah so that's what happens."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twistedmentat posted:

Would karlach make a good monk? If not, I'll make her a fighter.

I made her a monk on my last playthrough and Raphael didn't get a single turn at HoH where he was stunlocked into oblivion. I mean I think most characters can be effective as long as you build them right, I'm not sure if Karlach is particularly better at being a monk than anyone else, but it certainly worked. Plus with the right build you can still get good mileage out of throwing poo poo, particularly if you're monking in mid-game before you get the really op monk poo poo in act 3.

e: I would consider trying to get her stuff that adds lighting charges/bonuses to unarmed attacks/improvised weapons, so you can easily beat enemies to death with other enemies.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twistedmentat posted:

To quote her, "gently caress ya".

Yea I got the idea during chapter 3 when her barbarian stuff wasn't as great and I was getting lots of monkey gear.

Is it worth giving characters proficiency in medium/heavy armor? First game I gave shadowheart heavy but always wondered if it was a waste of a feat.

If you want Shadowheart to wear heavy armor, make her a storm cleric. Solid cleric and gets heavy armor for free.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^not really? There are definitely some widespread issues and plenty of bugs, but for the most part my game has been perfectly playable and the only animation bugs currently happening for me are the hilarious reanimation and subsequent collapse of dead folks when re-entering an area with bodies, and the somewhat less entertaining weird (intentional?) kill cam glitches that have been prominent since patch 5. ^

Pellisworth posted:

Thunder, lightning, and a little cold damage in their spell nukes, yes.

Tempest cleric is incredibly fun and well-rounded and one of my favorites.

You get heavy armor and martial weapons so you're tanky and can melee pretty decently. You get all the standard cleric buffs, healing, and radiant type damage plus the thunder, lightning, and cold from Tempest domain.

Tempest's Channel Divinity lets them maximize damage on a Thunder or Lightning spell, up to twice per short rest. This means they can chaos dunk small groups of enemies with huge spell nukes. The big combo is to get enemies Wet which doubles Lightning damage, then cast Call Lightning using your Channel Divinity and they take 60 damage or 30 if they succeed their saving throw.

There are also a couple items (gloves and boots) in Act 1 that allow you to inflict the Reverberation status effect which pairs really nicely with all of the above.

Yeah there's some good Thor builds out there. Storm cleric/paladin isn't particularly optimal but it's ridiculous to be able to (with luck of the far realms), auto crit a wet enemy with lightning smite for double max damage on crit , which gives you the opportunity to do a guaranteed radiant smite on crit that you can upcast for even more damage. Plus you get cool "paladin of x deity" dialogue options that seem to be unique to paladin/clerics (although I dunno, it could just be the regular paladin line with an altered description to reflect your class choices?)

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 13, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Black Noise posted:

I’ve gotten the T-posing but Professor Beetus also did their playthrough without mass larceny so they missed the last huge performance slowdown in the Patch 4 times.

oh yeah, I was a monstrous loot goblin and never had any gold worries so I just bought everything I needed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I will say on the note of being a loot goblin, it would be really nice if you could check a box to filter out stuff you sold to the vendors. With my proclivities it was kind of a nightmare at endgame to look through their inventories to find like, alchemy ingredients and stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
OTOH misclicks in BG3 can lead to some funny outcomes, not unlike poor decisions in actual tabletop games

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Entropic posted:

I wish Durge mode was harder, it's actually kind of offputting how chill your party is about your little episodes. When you take the option of turning yourself in for Alfira's death I was expecting it to have some consequences but everyone's just like "eh, maybe it was the tadpole's fault? guess we better be careful." And it is just plain goofy how the huge bloodstain just persists through longrests and is there even if you hide the body before dawn, and no one comments on it. I was hoping that if you hide the body there'd be some tense dialogue where everyone is like "hey, where did Alfira go?" and you have to avoid raising suspicion. I think that kind of story mode could be a lot more interesting if it didn't clash so much with the indulgent game design that basically allows you to keep people around no matter what you do if you really want to. At least from what I've seen so far, I'm still in act 1.

Also looking back on the thread I now find it hilarious that there were multi-page debates about "would Astarion be problematic / innappropriate / boundry-crossing as a PC at a tabletop game?" when Durge is right there lmao.

Speaking of problematic, I finally realised who Gortash reminds me of with his messy haircut and his whole unshaven, open-collar look:

I actually really liked that stuff in Durge, because it felt a lot like the extremely online subculture of misappropriating psych terms, like "intrusive thoughts"

"Hey Gale, I'm not sure what's going on but I have a constant list for blood, I literally fantasized about tearing your hand off when you were stuck in that portal"

Gale: "ah buddy don't worry, everyone gets intrusive thoughts. One time this guy bought a book I wanted to buy and I thought, 'boy I could kill that guy!' " *chuckles*

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My favorite part of getting Shadowheart at the grove after long resting on the beach is how she is just playing around with her super secret artifact from her secret spy missing like the thing is a drat Rubik's cube

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lawman 0 posted:

IGN came out with a spoiler heavy interview today with sven saying that originally her pitch was: "Jason Bourne". I'll be frank she probably would have been a more coherent, competent character but also we would missed out on all these accidentally hilarious moments. :v:

If Jason Bourne had Shadowheart's default stat spread, he would have died in the first fifteen minutes of the movie.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

yo I just looked up where Alfira even is in act 1 cos I'd never actually seen her alive and not only had I twice managed to miss a chunk of the map I'd managed to miss basically a whole rear end music video

this poo poo is wild

If you didn't, be sure to use speak with animals to talk to the squirrels watching her play. Also there are multiple ways you can see that play out, and it's funny, because if you help her by playing along with her, it's a very abbreviated version. you only get the full thing if you help her through the songwriting process. the best part was that I got this great performance and everyone in the party was clapping (except for Lae'zel who was off screen scowling), and then we promptly beat her rear end into the ground (to save her life).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Refried Noodle posted:

Doing my first honour run, and failed to save Isobel, dooming the guy who was supposed to save my main girl Karlach at the Inn in Act 2. Normally I would quickload, but now I'm so much more invested in getting payback.

this is why it's good not to quickload. once I finish once more run where I have specific goals in mind, I'll probably switch to single save for everything after that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If you shove every tadpole in your head you can find, you should die at the end when you order the absolute to kill every tadpole and then itself, because at that point how much of your actual brain could be left?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Using the Authority checks will affect how warm the Dream Visitor is toward you in the first couple dialogues. I think there's also a limit to how many you can do per long rest. It actually becomes a decent strategy on Honor Mode when you need to save your Inspiration points for failed rolls, but it doesn't affect the outcome of your game in any way.

When I played my bard I refused to use the illithid dialogue checks and rp'd it as my bard looking down on relying on that as a crutch. This silver tongue is all I need, tyvm

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Lobe posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Laezel wants to ride the dragonborn that is you if you play one and talks about this

Whereas Karlach talks about wanting to ride you no matter who you are

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Toadsmash posted:

:eng99: gently caress off, game

Lmao, this is at least in part why I have reactions set to confirm globally. No unintended sneak attacks on my watch!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AgentHaiTo posted:

That happened to me in my last HM run and I missed the gloves, so for my new run, I just immediately pickpocketed an unconscious Zevlor when I let Anders deck him. It's funny how past events in an alternate version of the world affect your character's choices now. Also, I couldn't talk to any Tieflings in my last 3 runs now, so I think that's a common bug.

Someone out there is playing multiple playthroughs with the same Tav and calling it Groundhog Day

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How is every warlock built around eldritch blast when there is a whole subclass about using swords?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vermain posted:

because eldritch blast's raw output equals melee at a baseline and badly, badly outclasses it once you get the two big +CHA modifier bonuses to its damage

the only point at which this changes is all the way at level 12 where blade warlock gets +CHA to melee damage, but that's a drat long time to sit on your haunches waiting for your character concept to truly comes together

Ah so if you don't care about being optimal you can do it and probably be fine in bg3, because you don't really ever have to worry about being optimal in bg3 unless you're doing something truly horrendous

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm gonna do whatever the hell I want and no one can stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Lord Bude posted:

Sure, you can play bg3 just fine without being optimal, but at that point why even discuss builds on the internet? If you don’t care about optimising your party just don’t? You don’t have to participate in build chat if you don’t care about it. But optimising your build is a huge part of what makes rpgs fun for a lot of people.

Because build discussion can be fun without being about min/maxing grognard poo poo? Maybe if you want to participate in build discussion, you'd be better served helping them with the build they want advice for instead of telling them it's poo poo and do something else.