Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Well, Jaheira died during the assault on Moonrise on my first playthrough.

Do I care? She can't be Revified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd like to say also, that ground floor fight might be the least fun fight I've had in the game. It was the least 'natural' fight I've had, and exposed the 'game' mechanics. I had to cheese the AI quite a lot (because there's just SO MUCH poo poo thrown at you if you walk in the entryway) and it ended up really exposing it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
*Sob* :smith:

I finish Moonrise. I keep Jaheira alive. I do all the stuff that comes after. I get back to Moonrise.

One Guard, ONE loving GUARD, decides he's upset because (I think) a Laezel Cleave hit one of his buddies in the original battle. And now I can't get any further without murdering every single person in the building. I've gone back, and I've killed Laezel and rezzed her. I've fast traveled away. I've Long Rested. No fucks given, this Guard is out for blood.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Medullah posted:

The fact that the Owlbear Cub and Scratch become friends and play together in camp was well worth the full price I paid for this game. And there's an achievement for petting them both at the same time that only 20% of you monsters have

I'm still reeling that I don't have the Owlbear Cub because I was a good guy who didn't kill his fuckin' mother, you monsters!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is there any way to get the Orphic Hammer out of the house without triggering the fight? Aside from agreeing to Raphael's deal, obviously.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Act 3 is really... messy, isn't it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I found out about The Music.

That was an absolute banger of a moment.

I've tried so many times to save Hope, but she dies on me

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just saved Volo with a cheeky Misty Step into Dimension Door, and felt extremely clever with myself. I know it's obvious really, but it FELT like big brain.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 20, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Major Isoor posted:

BTW I've just spent a little time in act 2 and drat, getting the toll collector to kill themself and then the surgeon to have his nurses 'practice' on him is incredibly funny. I have to say, playing as a charismatic bard-rogue is definitely the right pick, for a hilarious 'chaotic good' run. Everyone is being helped out whenever possible, but I absolutely will get bad guys to kill themselves whenever I can! :D (That or shove them into pits, if the option presents itself) Hopefully I can keep BSing my way through what should be major events - since this is pretty great

LOL, we played the same character mate. :v:

E: Finished the game last night at last, been avoiding the thread. What a beautiful ride.

Sword Bard 8/Fighter 4 Durge, Resist (initially was going in, then decided I wanted to push against it), saved the Grove, sided with Gortash (you know, aside from his terrible choice in allies and being a smug prick, did Gortash do much actually wrong? - I felt like Karlach's story only exists to villainise him), killed Orin, released Orpheus, stole the contract & killed Raphael (best moment of the game, imo, but final battle was nowhere near as good), Wyll & Karlach going Back To Hell - This Time It's Personal was amazing, didn't let Gale blow himself up, etc.

I feel like Primary Class 8/Secondary Class 4 is probably the sweet spot for everyone; There's very little benefit to 12 in anything really apart from Wizard/Sorc, and even that's debatable, and the only exception was Minsc who ended up Monk 9/Rogue 3 for the Bonus Action.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 27, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah play however you want but if you think Gortash did nothing wrong you must have skipped a lot of content lol.
I mean, I met him, he told me to kill murderchick, I did a bunch of checks to find out if he was going to betray me, he wasn't, so I didn't. I killed Raphael because he was openly trying to gently caress me over, so my logic was 'This guy is a dick, but he's not trying to gently caress me over', and then The Netherbrain killed him so I didn't have to deal with him.

The only plot point I actively hated was (ENDGAME SPOILER) The Emperor U-Turning entirely and rejoining the Netherbrain? What the gently caress man. You might think I'm completely wrong choosing to free Opheus, and I could even handle having to fight you for it, but that doesn't make joining the Big Bad make any sense. It was a huge letdown, and it felt very against his arc, given how much of his story was escaping slavery. Also Monk Minsc murked him in a single round.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Ashcans posted:

Short answer, Yes. Long answer: There are several different fail-state scenes they specifically inserted so that if you don't get her to join you you will still end up with the artifact along the way. If she is in your party but at camp it jumps to you, but they have also structured it so you can't abandon her without ever joining the party and leave the artifact behind. It's a little artificial but probably better than just having you die because you got too far from her

It sounds like you missed some of his ongoing story that makes it clear what an absolute dick he is. Did you get to the Foundry or the Iron Throne? If not you didn't find the part where he has enslaved a bunch of gnomes to make his robots by fitting them with suicide collars and locking their families in an underwater prison, and also the robots are actually eviscerated people corrupted by tadpoles and wired into his constructs. He is more personable than the others but still a real shithead
You know - I didn't do either, as I didn't need to! :v:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zodium posted:

the emperors arc is basically that he's a huge piece of poo poo liar who was only let go by the elder brain to break it out. one interpretation is that he thinks you can't win and is a survival at any cost kind of guy, so better enslavement than oblivion, but I think he's just illithid through and through. either way he's at least super evil.

See, I didn't feel that at all until that moment - I wanted to believe in the broken free of control line, until that U-Turn. So much of his character development was he's managed to escape the curse of Illithid, yes, is still engaging in acts of evil with good intentions (using Orpheus - Bearing in mind the Githyanki are Capital E Evil themselves) but at least to him (and largely, to me - Orpheus imprisonment vs The Capital End Of All Faerun) the ends are justifying the means. I could even buy into him turning on us because of our belief that freeing Orpheus was an option - Fine, we could end up in combat over it, and upon beating him either follow through and kill him or let him go. It was just... putting the shackles back on, that seems a mad choice.

E: Aside - I'd be wholly unsurprised if, if we ever get a Larian post-mortem, that was a 'poo poo we ran out of time' point of development, and they had to wrap it up; It happens so late in the arc and to so little fanfare it does feel rushed.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

SlimGoodbody posted:

The ones who don't play by the rules of being a huge piece of poo poo don't get to evolve past being a dretch or a mane or whatever it is that's the lowest form of demon, sort of like how you won't find any good billionaires. Maybe there are some good dretches and manes, idk cause you're not likely to ever meet them cause they're just gonna sit in a slime pit at the bottom of another dimension. Escalating in power in demon society requires choices and behaviors that mark you as evil. The more powerful you've been able to become, the more evil you are. It's basically just capitalism.

Demons/devils are one of the few D&D monsters I'm fine painting with the Literally Always Dangerously Evil, Untrustworthy, and Anti-Human brush, because they aren't flesh and blood creatures with real, human motivations. They are coalesced metaphor about our darkest impulses. If they were a different metaphor, they wouldn't be demons. A demon who stops being evil stops being a demon. A billionaire who stops being evil stops being a billionaire.

Just wanna say, I love the billionaire analogy.

And, to stretch that euphemism further... I really think we should round up all the Demons and have Very Bad Things happen to them for the good of the Material Plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

wizard2 posted:

So, throughout Act 3, I am siding with Gortash, which is kind of tricky, since you have to go out of your way to leave some side quests unsatisfyingly unresolved, and then deal with his trickery once you hand him Orin's plot device gem.

but there's a moment where he and you are about to talk to the Netherbrain together, where he's just kind of chilling out? all by his lonesome? and if you get into range, I presume, he starts talking to you, leading up to a betrayal or whatever. but what I did there was go into Turn Based Mode, had Laezel use her Fear Arrows on him, closed the gap with my Monk Astarion, stunlocked tf out of him, and finished him off. he did not have a chance to talk or fight back or Hulk Out! the game actually recognized I did this with a small unremarkable cutscene of me looting his un-Hulked corpse where I defeated him in this small grody hallway.
pretty cool!

Trip report - I did the same (and entirely accidentally on my first run) and trusted him simply because he's an arsehole, but he's never actually treacherous - To me he was a known quantity verus a greater problem. And he doesn't betray you then either - He actually fights the Brain with you then dies against it!