Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I mean that's what I'm saying, I'm bad at the game so I'm probably not one to judge, but there should be some powers somewhere on the spectrum between 'holy poo poo it's a free crit/counterspell/basically like thirty loving damage' and 'I wouldn't ever use an action on this', hell a lot of them you wouldn't use a bonus action on. Perilous Stakes is probably the single most fundamentally broken thing in the game when you cast it on an opponent, meaning it's basically assisted suicide if you use it on yourself, but rather than tweaking it somehow they just disabled targeting opponents on Honour mode, making it completely worthless, I mean what's that about??

I’m doing my second play through (first time on tactician) and hit the final encounter of act 2 last night. Hadn’t really hosed with the brain powers before cause nothing is that hard but figured I’d try Perilous Stakes on the Big Bad

A single Paladin smite crit for like 2/3 of his health pool lmfao. Wasn’t even going out of my way to stack damage modifiers. I can definitely imagine how that would get very very stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lobok posted:

In D&D it's whatever the hell your GM wants but real improvements, worthy of raising a stat by a point, would usually take time. You're not going to raise the strength of a spindly scribe to a buff Barbarian without a serious, consistent investment in time and effort for months and years.

It’s been a while but in the last campaign I played my character wanted to learn a language and it took months of in-world time. Which is basically “forever”. Or at least was how my DM ran it

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 2, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah it's extra funny because before the fight? No problem, let me shapeshift back for a few seconds.

Wild Shape in general kinda annoys me, I get they don't want to give you too many charges and that's the price you pay for being a Druid, but this is my first run through so having to waste charges to have my Tav talk sucks.

It’s very funny that Larian had many contingency plans 3 levels deep just in case you murderhobo important people and then also their replacements, complete with voice acting. And 6 patches full of like a combined 5000 bug fixes. But “use wildshape”? Too loving weird

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

El Grillo posted:

What on earth is up with the camera in this game. Only played a few hours but it's pretty bizarre how limited the range of movement is, particularly the fact you can't look horizontally or up. They seem to have spent vast resources making the amazing environments but you can't see them because the camera has to be pointing down like it's 2002 and we're playing Neverwinter Nights where the devs didn't bother to put underside faces on any of the scenery meshes because they locked the camera angles.

Looks like there's a camera mod I'll have to check out, I'm just very surprised that the thing has been designed like this in the first place, who actually likes this?

If you think it sucks now just wait til you get to multi story indoor areas! Oh you wanted to climb to high ground? Too bad the camera literally won’t zoom out enough to render the area you want to move to for some reason

It’s definitely janky as gently caress and one of the few things I can complain about in this game

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

this Keyheric thorm fight is driving me loving nuts. one guy gets instant gibbed by the drider, everyone else gets frightened, someone gets domed by the necromite spell and the nightsong just fights the dog. I got hosed up by the long fight beforehand and can’t long rest. I’m level 8 with 1k xp to go before level 9. should I just reload and try to find some way to level? I feel like I’ve done everything but apparently you can go into the fight at level 10 so I have to be missing some stuff. My party is paladin druid barb fighter.

yeah like someone else said you should be able to just walk back out of the tower after the big battle and long rest before heading upstairs. That alone should help a lot. Unfortunately after passing the "point of no return" with Shadowheart's stuff all the quests in act 2 pretty much shut down. So if you wanna reload and level some more you're gonna have to go back a ways. It's hard to say what XP you might have missed since there is so much goddam poo poo to do in this game, in both act 1 and act 2.

I... don't think I encountered either a Drider or dog in my fight? Early in the act did you do the quest where Harpers ambush the Drider and get a moonlantern? Did you choose to side with the cultists over the Harpers? In both of my games I've killed him so I didn't even realize he could be part of the fight. If you somehow skipped that entirely then that could also explain why he's there and you're short on XP. I'm reasonably sure I didn't fight the dog either, maybe cause I made friends with him in Ketheric's chamber earlier in the act? Idk. Anyway yeah with 2 more significant enemies I can see why that fight is kicking your rear end. Maybe try to get off some turn undead or hold person or confusion or something to take them out of the fight for a few rounds while you focus down a target. For what it's worth I just ignored the stupid skeletons til after Ketheric was dead, but that might not work if it is taking many turns to get him down

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 4, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

10 Beers posted:

I'm doing the artiat/mansion quest in Act 3 right now and I'm honestly about to just skip it and move on because the camera sucks in there.

lol yeah that may be the actual rock bottom for camera mechanics. It took me way too long to figure out why I was taking random damage cause I couldn't even figure out where my characters loving were. I felt like I was back playing Mario 64 or something from before game devs really understood 3D

e: 5 minutes after posting this, I have a fight where I waste multiple attacks because I think I am clicking on a monster but the game decided I really wanted monk Astarion to punch the air right next to the monster. Why is this even possible

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 4, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Something I'm learning and enjoying on my second playthrough is that a lot of NPCs in act 3 have zero plot armor. If some asswipe is talking poo poo and they aren't associated with a quest there's a great chance Karlach can chuck them off a cliff in front of 10 witnesses with zero consequences. I just dumpstered the lady in front of the bank who's taunting a beggar, directly in view of several guards, and the only thing that happened was I got 1 xp :ussr:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

QuietLion posted:

That basement full of rats is always fun to blast, along with the cranium rats underground. Just so many units dropping from the initiative order all at once! :evilbuddy:

I was cackling out loud during the act 2 rat fight as I parked the whole party inside spirit guardians and like 50 of the fuckers proceeded to waste themselves like soldiers charging a machine gun nest in WW1

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shard posted:

motherfucker was just dropping swords all over the coast.

I'm enjoying this vision of a proud explorer landing his ship in a new land, previously unknown to his people. As he strides ashore to plant the flag of Uzfuckistan on the beach, he slices his foot on a pile of discarded Rusty Longswords and bleeds out. The Sword Coast claims another victim.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Beasteh posted:

Started an honor mode run and holy poo poo I have crit failed every important roll so far, absolutely cursed

Like the kid with the harpies, they just crit me for 16 turn 1 twice in a row

I know this comes up every week ITT but crit fails are kind of the worst mechanic. Like does Taylor Swift ever ready herself to launch into Shake it Off in front of 75000 people as she has done 500 times before, only to drop a load in her leotard and waddle off stage instead. I mean probably in some very niche fanfic but that’s not where I am trying to take this discussion

I guess the idea is what is the point of playing a game if the outcome is predetermined. But it still feels dumb to have +14 on a DC 10 check and fail

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

she doesn't have enough content to be as irrevocably broken as she apparently is

But enough about my ex wife :laugh track:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

So in the sewers of act 3, I guess there was a dude named Minsc I was supposed to find down there? I didn’t find much in the way of quest breadcrumbs for this area, just wandered in from Rivington, cleared the whole thing out, and popped up on the docks where I killed the fuzzy guys inside. Jaheira is dead which I think matters for the spoilered thing. If she’s dead do I miss out on all the actual quests down there? I murdered everyone in the sewers with very little context—seems like there’s a gang of smugglers, a gang of deaths head people, and a random nastymancer. was I supposed to get a quest from somewhere first is my question.

yeah you're hosed on getting that companion because of Jaheira. She leads you to him. Because you get him so late though you aren't missing out on a TON of content. Like there is no companion quest other than recruiting him. He's pretty funny though

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just loaded up the game after hotfix 21 and there must be 20 pieces of food scattered all over my Elfsong Tavern camp. Looks like the B team threw a fuckin frat party while we were out adventuring lol

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

I did almost no “OP” theory crafting builds other than making Astarion a Monk rogue and feel the same way.

Like I had to reload and slow down killing Ansur one turn later to get the achievement.

I never knew there was a pillar mechanic in the Raphael fight.

Toughest fight was probably Cazador because it starts you down a party member and my main character a Lore Bard felt pretty anemic at level 12.

That’s my fault for choosing it but that’s probably my only complaint, that my lore bard was pretty so-so end game. No big end game murder spells, just fireball and blight.

There were a lot of fights where my bard would have had fairly useless rounds if I hadn’t had them get the “tadpole powers are a bonus action” perk and had them suck down every worm they found.

Good utility though, murdering dialogue checks and picking locks. Was nice to be able to swap out my Astarion rogue monk for other characters every now and then. Since having a lock picker/trap disarmed is a requirement in the game.

Straight Barbarian Karlach felt a little anemic too compared to fighter at 12 until I respec’d and gave her a few levels of fighter to get action surge and battle master. You just can’t beat a hasted action surging great weapon wielder as a way to delete a boss first round. Well other than ascended Astarion monk.

Monk/Thief feels OP as hell tbh. I know there are builds that do more but even on tactician I find that my Astarion one rounds a lot of bosses or kills 3 normal mobs on his turn. Without any real special setup. He just like… punches them and they die lol. You can do 8 paragraphs worth of poo poo making a chain lighting sorc or whatever that deletes mobs even faster but monk just feels so good and easy.

Medullah posted:

Yeah overall that's my biggest gripe with the game. There's all these cool builds to experiment with but there's no repeatable content. I'd be fine with an arena type thing even if there weren't any actual rewards, or only cosmetic ones.

Agreed. By the time you’re fully armed and operational in act 3 the game is nearly over. Cool I got an incredible new sword from one of the last couple bosses but I already killed him in one turn so there’s not much further up the power curve I can go here. I would enjoy some big dumb overtuned monster gauntlet DLC where I can see how much rear end I can whoop with my tricked out party.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

On a durge run and I killed the strange ox in the Grove (usually I kill him in act 3). Was looking up info about it and saw an old post saying dammon disappears from act 2 if you kill the ox in act 1. Is this still a thing? I'll have to reload a very old save if so.

I was looking forward to seeing his act 3 quest to conclusion on this play through once I learned that not all dialogue options result in killing him. But then I didn’t even notice the stupid loving apple on the ground and when I went into the Lower City it auto failed :argh: I assumed the item went into my inventory not onto the ground in a spot I couldn’t even see. It’s also dumb as hell that I can’t go back and pick it up for quest credit. It’s still right there! Game literally unplayable

Zodium posted:

doing my hm run with a bunch of personal rules like no pickpocketing, and I never realized how much discount you can work up until I couldn't just steal whatever I wanted. the 1/LR envoy's amulet with +2 persuasion is actually really good now! I have -131% discount with my friendly vendors Dammon, Talli and Tarv. :3:

My tav is a sorcerer with I think 24 CHA through various means and I have a -200% discount with Dammon lmao. I had to respec at some point and took advantage of buying cheap max approval at level 1.

My only regret is that he doesn’t have much gold so I can’t even sell him more than a couple random pieces of armor before he’s broke again. If he had deeper pockets… I would have an even more absurd amount of gold I guess

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the lore is actually interesting, he used to follow the Raven Queen, fading patron of the shadow elves (different from drow!) and hungry for any memories that they bring her

if you listen to him talking to his raven you'll hear that he abandoned her, probably because he took an oath of vengeance or similar (no idea why he would do that)

Yeah I went and looked it up cause (probably like a lot of people) I was like who the gently caress is this complete weirdo.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Shadar-kai_(elf)

I guess they serve the Raven Queen by helping her collect memories of tragedy which is her fetish. Very normal things.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

For what it’s worth the thing you spoilered is not really a plot point at all. His identity is never even explicitly revealed although there are a few books as early as act 1 that make it pretty clear.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

The current third comment on Raphael's Final Act is "My only regret is that I'll never be able to experience this song for the first time again" and I gotta agree. I think it's possibly the coolest moment in gaming since Polito's office walls melted

Yeah that poo poo ruled

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

What are you talking about my man really did us a solid turning illithid within minutes of meeting us so that the rest of my party could continue their hot girl summer.

Just lol if this isn’t how you played it. Oh cool a (kind of literal?) deus ex machina that will absolve me of having to make any hard choices for my homies? Sign me up

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shard posted:

I did it to karlach on my first run so she wouldn't blow up

Ok that’s fair. I was cool with the outcome of invading hell side by side with my big red queen. Not sure what I’m gonna do about her on this playthrough since I’m doing Bae’zel romance

Talorat posted:

Can anyone recommend a good gimmick build for our multiplayer game, ideally a healer type? I wanna do something silly and I'm joining while we're already well underway.

I really like the mental image of Gale as a high CHA and STR barb. This long hair nerd just all caps screaming to resolve every dialogue check like some roid raging karen.

Woolie Wool posted:

How badly did I gently caress myself giving my main character a bunch of tadpole powers

somehow this doesn’t seem to matter AT ALL which I found pretty weird since the first half of the game is all about how apocalyptically awful the tadpole is. When in fact shoving as many tadpoles down your throat as possible is by far the optimal play

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I came to the game late and the way people talked about the effect I thought it was gonna be way worse than it was. I mean it’s not a good look but I was expecting to transform into a loving Beholder or something

It does make me chuckle that my whole crew looks like a black metal band in corpse paint and nobody says poo poo in conversation. Probably not even the weirdest thing they saw today in Faerûn

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

God drat it I just realized that some time in the last few hours my Nyrulna (aoe throwing weapon thing) disappeared and I have no fuckin idea where it went. RIP throwbarb Karlach, back to Returning Pike for you I guess. Really wish they would fix whatever causes throwing weapons to vanish from existence

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I like how as a paladin I cannot commit crimes without breaking my oath, but if Astarion steals everything that is not nailed down and I enjoy the profits from his constant criminal activity, this falls within my oath because

They don't like to talk about it but part of the oath is "snitches get stitches"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

grack posted:

Any alignment that lets you kill Flaming Fist en masse is fine for me.

I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST… for dinner :black101:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It's kinda funny that Duke Ravengard is supposed to be this heroic gigachad kind of character but the only times we see the real him he's being a tremendous prick, and the only evidence we're given for his heroism is leading the Flaming Fist, who are mostly - like real cops - corrupt wastemen

For real. Ravengard is supposed to be the legendary human shield protecting Baldur's Gate and he got absolutely dunked on by some doughy dipshit who looks like he should be in a VH1 documentary about the 1990s rock scene in St. Louis. Gortash definitely abuses whatever the Sword Coast version of opioids is

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I hate my stupid klepto/hoarder gamerbrain. I am compelled to click on every loving container so I have more scrolls and potions and arrows than I could possibly use. And then I don't use them. You know, just in case I need 8 scrolls of Ray of Sickness later. For something.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey played various characters on ps5 for act 1 and got to act 2 a few months ago before playing other games and taking a break. I’m now starting a “for real” playthrough as I know a bit more as to what I’m doing now and am following a gaming podcast through it (the bonfireside chat/woff guys) and I have a question-

Is playing as a Storm Sorcerer (as a good person) a good time? Was thinking of doing that with a kitted out Storm Cleric shadowheart, wild magic Karlach and then probably battlemaster Laezel. From reading around online it sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Any other suggestions if not that? Thanks!

All of that sounds good, almost any build will work well enough to win which is nice

I don’t personally love playing sorc or wizard because only being able to cast your best stuff a couple times before long resting to recoup spell slots bums me out. Classes that regen their important abilities on short rest like monk and bard are more my speed. If you don’t have this particular hangup though there’s no denying it is a powerful class. Especially by act 3 when you get access to cone of cold and chain lightning and can annihilate a whole group in one shot. But it feels bad when I’m out of spell slots and doing 12 damage cantrips while the monk is hitting dudes for like 70 multiple times every turn.

I can’t get away from having monk/thief Astarion in my party. Just running around one shotting everything he can get his hands on. Plus all sleight of hand checks are basically auto win. There’s also a lot of really OP monk gear that goes to waste if you don’t have one.

My current crew is sorc/wizard/storm cleric dark urge. Monk/thief Astarion. Throwing barb Karlach. And archery bard Jaheira. It feels awesome, very little gives me trouble. The one thing I wish I had was more low level AoE for when you have to clean up 50 1 HP rats or some poo poo.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Finished tactician play through. Feels good man. Guess I will start beating my head against honor mode at some point. I expected it to be a lot harder but for the most part it felt pretty similar to balanced. To be fair knowing what’s coming and how to build an efficient party helps massively.

Had trouble with a handful of fights. First was Grym just because he kept walking like one pixel too far for the hammer to crush him, it is annoyingly finicky. Balthazar also gave me trouble as the big skeletons kept throwing everyone off a cliff round 1 lol. Better positioning fixed this. My Durge duel with Orin was a nightmare. She would win initiative every time and kill my poor sorcerer on the first turn. Had to reload repeatedly til I finally got to go first and then she saved against all my spells, lived to her turn, and killed me in one round. Only time I REALLY wished I had Alert. And finally the House of Grief was of course a bitch. I don’t think I would even attempt it on honor. Every other boss pretty much just fell over.

Also a couple ending spoilers

I had no idea Gale’s outcomes could vary so wildly. First run I told him to definitely not try to steal the crown of karsus, and he became a frumpy old professor. This time I just told him “you do you man I don’t really care”. Was not expecting him to turn up at the epilogue as a LITERAL loving BRAND NEW GOD lmfao. That story took quite a turn.

I also reloaded my final save so I could see what the become the Absolute ending looked like. I respect how cartoonishly evil it is.

Game very much stands up to repeated plays. I thought I was very thorough on my first run but I found SO much stuff I missed. I’m sure there is even more still to find. And I’m glad I did the resist durge option, it’s a pretty wild and cool story

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Someone pointed out he is wearing a Guy Fieri flaming button down under his big dumb jacket and can’t stop laughing every time I see it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zodium posted:

never played with a monk before because I think they're a stupid class, so I only just found out they're ridiculous for iron throne. jumping without using bonus actions is crazy. Astarion basically opened every cell on his own and went all the way to Omeluum in turn 1, then came back down to loot the northwest section and jumped back to help dimension door stragglers and kill fishmen after omeluum's submarine port. easiest iron throne i've done despite doing honor mode and refraining from using haste this game.

Yeah I was slow trying out monk since it sounds kinda weird and isn’t on any of the default companions. But multiclassed with thief, the damage, mobility and utility (stun or prone or push while doing like 50 damage of various types? Several times per turn? Yes please) are insane. And everything recharges on short rest. And there is a bunch of sick gear designed for unarmed combat. I’m a huge monk stan now lol, they are so good in so many situations.

Never played one in tabletop. Wild to hear they are rear end there

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wizard2 posted:

The way people talked about it, I thought I was going to get Good Ending (Astral Tadpole Route) by the way it was talked up both in game and online but [spoilers]: your skin does end up clearing up! yay! only Illithidism is permanent, and not that big a deal, actually???? so much for not gazing long into the abyss

The couple of perma-illithids say it’s fine actually and even better than being a human. But I get intense cult/stockholm syndrome vibes off it.

But yeah all consequences of popping tadpoles like candy going away in the ending was weird

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I guess just getting knowledge from this thread on learning which buffs/debuffs/utilities are good and which are bad, would be great :)

Any good wisdom on this topic?

Also is there a generally summary of the niches provided by the different classes? Like what’s the practical difference between a melee monk and a melee fighter? Both are melee dps right? Or a ranged warlock and a ranged sorcerer? Both are ranged dps?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You have:

Warriors - tanky, single target damage and control boys. Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians, Monks. Rangers too if built for it.
Skills Dudes - skill guys for sneaking around, disarming traps and picking locks, usually double as good archers since they have high dexterity. Rogues, Bards, Rangers.
Support - buffs, healing, controlling enemies. Clerics, Druids, Bards.
Mages - area damage and control. Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks, Druids

Party face/talky character can also be important. High charisma and social skills. Paladin, Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock.

In terms of which specific spells are good or not, the fun of the game is trying them all out to see. The main caveat here is that Shield and Counterspell are extremely important wizard spells that you won't find scrolls for, meaning you have to pick them on level up. Haste is massively powerful to the point that it's pretty busted.

I was gonna make a mini effort post and this is a good start

Buffs/debuffs: I subscribe to the idea that the best debuff is death so I tend to just start blasting immediately. Haste is so OP though that it's worth burning a round to put it on your strongest DPS (or 2 of them if you're a sorc with Twinned Spell!) I find crowd control more useful early in the game when you can easily be killed in one turn, stuff like hold person/sleep/crown of madness. Later on you get AoE CC like confusion and hypnotic pattern which can be nice when you're badly outnumbered. There are a TON of spells in the game and to be honest I get in a rut and just use the handful I know and like every time.

If you want to be a cheeselord, get a life cleric hireling from Withers. Once they get high level enough, you can abuse them to buff the hell out of your party every long rest. Level 5 Aid, Heroes Feast, Longstrider, Freedom of Movement on your whole party without burning any of their spell slots. It's pretty hard to die when you have 150 HP and immunity to most CC.

Don't overlook potions and elixirs. If you're going into a tough fight, they can give you a variety of different buffs. Another cheeselord strat is to stockpile strength elixirs, which lets you respec to dump strength and boost other stats higher than you normally could on your melee characters.

Casters: Very important is the fact that with 1 level of wizard multiclass, you can learn literally every scroll in the game. Most spells have scroll versions, though a few do not. So mixing 1 level of wizard with whatever other caster class is common and advantageous.
Wizard: huge variety of spells, many subclasses to choose from for flavor, can look them up on the wiki. Evocation is popular since it has the big nukes and also an ability that eliminates friendly fire, so you can fireball on top of your homies with reckless abandon.

Sorcerer: With 1 dip into Wizard, I'd argue they are just a better Wizard. You gain Metamagic, which lets you spend Sorcerer Points to enhance your spells. Cast 1 spell on 2 targets, increase your chance to hit, increase your range, etc. Also your spellcasting stat is Charisma which is very useful, as opposed to INT on a Wizard which rarely matters

Warlock: Plays very differently. Typically you drop some kind of Concentration crowd control spell like Hunger of Hadar or Hypnotic Pattern or Darkness, and then spend your turns plinking at mobs with Eldritch Blast. You only get a few spell slots but they replenish on short rest, which is unique. Can also be made more of a melee build if you go down Pact of the Blade.

Cleric: Varies a bit by subclass. Life is a strong pure healer but you don't really need one in this game. Light is a strong caster with a lot of fire and radiant damage spells. Storm gets a lot of elemental damage spells. Not totally useless in melee as you get a lot more armor and weapon proficiency than other casters, though it probably shouldn't be your primary plan.

Druid: subclasses all play very differently. You can be more or less a pure caster. Or specialize in wild shape (turn into an owlbear and gently caress poo poo up). Or a spore druid who makes a huge army of helper goons to fight for you.

Melee: More than casters, I think this comes down to what class fantasy you prefer.

Barbarian: probably the simplest class? You just kinda wade in and gently caress poo poo up. Get a lot of bonuses to AC and damage reduction so they are pretty tanky. Get bonus damage to throwing attacks so that is a popular and good playstyle. Also you get really funny dialogue options to resolve conflicts BY SHOUTING AT PEOPLE

Fighter: Battlemaster subclass gets a lot of buttons to push. You get "Maneuvers" which do things like stun/prone/gain advantage/etc in addition to doing damage. You also get a lot of feats and extra attacks as you level up which is nice.

Monk: I'm already on record about how good I think Monk is. You're a kung fu master zipping around annihilating people with your bare hands. It feels very fun.

Rogue: I hope you like engaging with the stealth mechanics because everything revolves around sneak attacks. I do not, so I haven't spent much time with rogue

Hybrid:
Bard: You can build this as a caster heavy on utility and CC, a very powerful archer, or melee DPS. I personally really enjoy the archer variant. You get "flourishes" that are similar to Monk or Fighter special abilities, that add some effect on top of doing damage. Regen on short rest. Very good jack of all trades that doesn't feel like you are *bad* at any of them.

Ranger: Pretty similar to bard I feel like? I haven't played this much TBH, sorry

Paladin: Mostly a melee that boosts damage with Smite and has some healing spells you probably won't use. I haven't played a lot of this class either

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I started an honor mode run and immediately failed every check for recruiting Gale and he died. Thought I would make it at least an hour before having to restart :lol: It's legitimately insane that this is not only possible but reasonably likely

Obviously poo poo is going to go south in honor mode but I would like to make it past the literal first meaningful roll :argh:

edit: got back to where I was and recruited Gale. About 30 seconds later my 17 CHA bard rolled a 1 on a persuasion check against the bandits on top of the ruins and they wiped me. I can see that honor mode is going to be An Experience

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 18, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Especially early on you pretty much want to short rest after every combat, because you are weak and will probably end fights banged up. Then long rest once you run out of short rests.

If anything you want to long rest more often than seems necessary, because it triggers important plot cutscenes. Which if you delay too long can lock you out of quests and companion storylines. One trick is that after long resting you can go right back to camp, start another rest, but when it asks you what supplies to use just click “partial rest”. This is a very lovely rest that doesn’t do much, but you just long rested so it doesn’t matter. It costs zero supplies, and it still triggers cutscenes. You can do this as many times as you want if you feel like you’re falling behind.

And yeah the game showers you with supplies if you are diligent about clicking boxes and barrels. For reference I just finished a play through with like 3500 supplies left over lmfao. At some point you cross the line from every resource mattering to “I could rest 40 times in a row and not run out of supplies” :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah that works. A good way to aggro her is to blow up the Scrying Eye with a thunder spell since you’ll need to kill it anyway. You’ll want to make sure she is marked “temporarily hostile” and knocked out for everything to work.

Assuming “your version” is the latest patch

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I was surprised to learn there’s apparently no achievement for saving everyone. They have them for everything! Both times I did it one idiot died for no reason as they got almost to the ladder, then… ran away, turned around and came back. But time ran out before they made it up. Maybe Larian realized the AI was too unreliable and chose to save people from beating their heads against it for hours

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

watchoutitsabear posted:

After doing my first playthrough basically role playing myself, an obsessively earnest rule-follower do-gooder, it's been breaking my brain how easy it is to murder people in this game. Shadowheart killed 3 Tieflings in the Emerald Grove because someone objected to her stealing a shovel, and the rest of the townspeople didn't bat an eyelash.

Yeah I also found that for NPCs that are generic flavor filler, the game sometimes just doesn't care at all. Like in act 3 some lady was being an rear end in a top hat taunting beggars so I quicksaved then had Karlach throw her off a loving bridge to her death directly in front of some guards. Nothing happened :lol:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ClydeFrog posted:

Honestly you fail a few rolls lazy lock picking (aka I cannot be arsed to get Astarion) etc and it’s carnage pretty quickly if you don’t feel like being arrested or taking a bribe. Also I hate the ones you see shaking down refugees. Only one I’ve saved was the Constable in the clothes shop. I figured if I wasn’t going to kill the hollyphant she certainly didn’t deserve death either as someone that was actively giving a poo poo.

Yeah I wanted to go to town on the crowd of chuds in Rivington yelling about refugees stealing all our jobs. That went less well for me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is the RP reason for it being everywhere that Gortash and company brought a bunch back from hell along with the Crown to use in gearing up their army? At first I thought they just REALLY wanted to make sure you didn’t miss out on the chance to fix Karlach. But several vendors make comments about how they are getting nonstop orders to craft infernal weapons when usually they see maybe one piece a year. So they seem to have tried to integrate it into the story a bit

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shard posted:

I'm still discovering poo poo. This game is so big and there are so many little details. I think it was my 4th playthrough where I found that door next to Wither's tomb with the book of dead gods inside it.

Yeah. I was reading some guide and it referenced a big zone in act 3 way off to the west of the bridge to Wyrms rock. I’ve beaten the game twice trying to be extremely thorough and had no idea it was there. And it has a substantial amount of content and some good loot! It is insane how big the world is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lobok posted:

Is that the one blocked off by a big poison cloud or something?

It definitely had a shitload of traps and dead bodies leading up to it, I forget if it was specifically a poison cloud. You walk down on the riverside under the bridge and go way west. Pass through a cave to a cove where two factions are having a brawl and there’s a boat from moonrise towers surrounded by the shadow curse effect. From there there’s an even harder to find cave with the Bonespike boots and misc lore notes

grack posted:

I'm sorry, Minthara is clearly meant to be a Bard, preferably in a very silly hat.

:hmmyes: I got a floppy hat or frumpy hat or some poo poo like that on the opening beach and made my bard Tav wear it forever because the effect is so good. Thank you for enabling my bad Lemmy Kilmister cosplay

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 21, 2024