Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I guess we should be careful about spoilers again in the new thread. Xbox players will never know about the relatively poor ending at launch!

I'm already itching for a new honor run but forcing myself to fight all the bosses. I think I'll load some quality of life mods this time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Network42 posted:

Good OP, good game.

Currently honor running through Act I trying to vacuum up as much XP as I can without hitting any of the tough fights, the ironman mode really changes the approach to things.

For anyone else thinking about doing an honor mode run I will say that it's worth it to put the effort into cheesing the first commander fight to kill him and the mindflayer and get the everburn blade, you can hit level 2 at the nautiliod crash and it smooths out the early game tremendously.
You don't need to kill the Commander to get to level 2 at the crash and you can use Command:Drop from Shadowheart to get the sword.

Some people recommend going around the intellect devourers you meet early on with only two party members because that's a common early TPK in honor mode.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Today, several months after release, there's 150k steam players right now and they expected max 100k.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Larian recently said that about 1.3 million people had completed BG3. Even with a <20% completion rate, that seems to indicate that total sales must still be far below 20 million. Right? Regardless, it's true that we can only speculate at this point.

Steam stats says 17.2% have completed the game so that gives the floor of 7.5M purchases (assuming completion rate is similar across platforms).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

There's kind of no point to making a custom Wizard, is there? Sorc does pretty much everything they do but 2x while also acing their speech checks and you gotta play as Gale to get some of the best spellcaster buffs.
My Int-based Lore Bard/Divination Wizard Minthara was pretty clutch in my honor run. Being able to control the dice is really great along with the incredible utility she had. My Durge was also Cha for the checks though.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shwqa posted:

Just use the set int to 17 circlet that is in act 1. My paladin has a 17 int and 18 dex due to act 1 equipment and I basically never switch for any checks

The 18 dex gloves are just nutty, btw. Basically, you go first every battle and hit way more often.
That's stuff great when you get them and throughout Act 2 but by Act 3 there are other items that can use the slot.

The particular Bard/Wizard build I was using didn't use Cha for anything so it's just a dump stat so I can put more into Dex, Con and Int.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Did they ever patch out buying their affinity up to positive then sleep-picking their entire inventory unopposed?
Yes. The 1g bag trick was the followup but that's gone now too.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Black Noise posted:

• Party Limit Begone: Increase your party size for more interactions. In multiplayer each player character is treated as a separate party so take this into consideration for things like approval.
  • Sit This One Out: Makes your extra party members vanish so you don't steamroll the game. Certain story situations will require a party member to not be sitting out.
  • Dynamic Sidebar: So you don't have to scroll through portraits of all your party members.
Once I complete a mode modless, I like to use Auto Loot Seller V3 to remove the tedium of selling crap. It saves a ton of time and actually makes it slightly worse for me since I leave it set to sell at the default price instead of the full approval price I'd get if I were to do it manually.

I like to then pair it with Auto Loot Aura so I don't have to click on everything. Just exercise self-control and throw away the red version.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Ah they're completely different things. Got it.

I did find level cap being 12 kind of funny because by the time I was in chapter 3 i was already level 10.

Think of it as giving you more time to enjoy you level 12 power.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Did my first honour mode fight today. Fought the spider. Maybe I overprepared for it, or maybe it's because I'm level 4 (I often do this fight earlier on tactician but played it safer this time and hit level 4 first), but I kinda owned it. Party was me (Lock), Wyll (Lock), Shadowheart (life Cleric), and Gale (Transmutation Wizard). I noticed the new honour mode ability it received but it actually never got a chance to use that. I knocked it off its webs twice and then it teleported into my group with about 30-40 health left and I was able to kill it before its brood arrived.

Not sure if I got lucky but the spiderlings popped dash on their two turns and ran towards my party instead of teleporting into my group. That meant that I was able to dps the boss down before having to fight them and have to worry about triggering the new boss ability.
By level 4 it shouldn't be difficult if you're prepared for it.

Reflecting on my honor run, after the owlbear wipe due to catastrophic lack of preparation, the only other fight that actually gave me difficulty was the solo fight as Durge vs Orin which also came down to me being underprepared since I didn't know it as well as the other boss fights in the game.

Every other boss fight, I was extremely prepared and willing to utilize any tool I had available to completely incapacitate the boss to the point I didn't even see the legendary action for half of them.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I know you can continue if you wipe on honour mode, but do bosses still retain honour mode stuff if you party wipe? Or does it revert to tactician or something?

I just did the owlbear fight as well, and I was a little lazy and didn't rest beforehand so I wasn't at full power spell-wise. I did manage to beat it but took a beating. Was nastier than I was expecting.
Yes, it's supposed to. I did look at the difficulty after dying and reloading and it did still say honor but I deleted the campaign afterward so I didn't confirm lol.

A Moose posted:

yeah, we've reloaded a couple times and come back and its still bugged
Must be some kind of inconsistent thing. I just reach there and I can open that chest just fine.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 11, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

grack posted:

I do this so I can steal more poo poo off the walls from Moonrise and Cazador's Palace.

I don't need to do it, I just find it very amusing.

I make a point to steal as many of Cazador's pictures as possible just to spite him.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Hit level 3 so I thought I'd go and take out the harpies since I have Calm Emotions. Shadowheart's second turn comes along and I thought "why not cast Bless?".

Luckily the two elves resisted the charm or it could've been a disaster.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's a bug that got introduced in one of the recent patches. They'd fix things and break others lol.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The harpies are pretty straightforward by level 3 if you use Calm Emotions and don't screw it up by immediately breaking concentration. The problem is knowing that because I didn't find out until I'd already completed the gsme three times.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You could always respec. Before you get to level 4/5, it'll always be harder.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

- Scrying eyes become immune to all damage and can't be hurt unless pushed off of something

They shouldn't be fully immune. You just need to do enough damage in a single hit to actually hurt it in ethereal form. Thunder specifically works well.

Most other damage has resistance (or immune) so you'd need to do at least 17 damage all at once to even inflict 1 damage.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 12, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The anti-species arrows are extremely powerful. I keep forgetting to use them but they wreck whatever you're shooting at.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Overall, not too bad so far. We'll see how I fare at the Underdark/Creche. I have hit level 5 which in my previous playthroughs basically was the point where the game started to become really easy due to the power spike at that level, so I'm curious whether the Honour mode changes to bosses/abilities will give me a harder time this time around.
It entirely depends if you exploit how to avoid the legendary actions altogether. I found out pretty quickly that knocking prone was a surefire way to completely shut it down which made the fights just a tactician fight.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I think Grym is the most challenging fight in Act 1 for the sheer number of things that can go wrong. If you have a melee-centric party then you need a good solution for his legendary action.
You can completely trivialize that fight though in two ways.

The first is you can activate the hammer multiple times in a single round. Just shoot the wheel to reflow the lava and then the lever to activate it again. The moment he enters the hammer range, he should be dead immediately.

The other way is to just leave a thrower above who can safely kill him.

Me, I like to bludgeon him to death.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You do need to position him just right so that the lava can reheat him. Or just use Heat Metal.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You didn't miss any steps with Karlach. Go watch the epilogue and pay attention to what she says there.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Just attack her without talking to her and it'll be temporary hostile unless you let a goblin hit a drum or the magic eye sounds the alarm before you kill it.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Also, 10000gp is like pocket change at that point anyway so unless you're playing an evil character, why not?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Geekboy posted:

You can keep Gale ready to play and use a hireling for this instead. I have been hiring Sir Fuzzalump as soon as possible, respeccing him so he’s proficient in Medicine and his primary stat is Wisdom, setting him to Transmutation, then getting his Wisdom to 20 ASAP for all the double potions I can get.

He never leaves camp so everything but Wisdom and Intelligence are dump stats.

Use the halfling for transmutation so that the 1's are rerolled for the medicine checks.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Does Honor Mode allow for respeccing/hirelings?
Yes.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That is a legendary action from honor mode only yes and my solution was to dps him to death before it became a problem, then take care of the minions.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The happiest ending for her is actually to give the noblestalk to the husband because she then leaves him and starts life afresh. You'll get the gloves because you save him first before you feed him the noblestalk.

If you kill her husband, she just miserably continues to tend the shop.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Should I bother with BHOOAL in honor mode or is it a trap?

I just went in and wiped them all out with brute force on my honor run.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

About the tadpoles (act 1): I have avoided using them so far. Is this choice worth it by the end of the game? Does it change anything meaningfully?

No. /Withers

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I stuffed even my companions' faces with the worms during my honor run. Everyone being able to fly freely is amazing (along with Longstrider on everyone).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh good it's not just me then.

Speaking of that fight, I did it for the first time last night. (Deep Act III spoilers) Is the 1v1 Orin duel supposed to be unwinnable? I guess maybe if you're a melee/tank Durge you could pull it off but my relatively squishy Ranger/Rogue was literally torn apart in one turn by the Orin monster form. Since the Durge story continues with your defeat I'm sort of assuming that's the expected outcome.

Also, as I near the endgame and am starting to see how everyone's ending choices are taking shape, I really like how if you want you can be the leader of a team that absolutely refuses to learn from their mistakes. Gale goes all in on "this time my insane scheme to show up my ex get power will totally work!", Astarian and Shadowheart perpetuating their cycles of abuse, Wyll starting to truly believe his bullshit persona, etc. It's great.

I won but it was very dicey since I was a Sorcerer. I had a lot of buffs on including Warding Bond but still lost almost half of my 186HP.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

grinnard posted:

???

Is this a typo? I didn't have any characters anywhere near this amount of hp at level 12, let alone a sorcerer
Heroes' Feast, upcasted Aid, Necromancy of Thay's extra HP and the amulet that sets your Con to 23.

Warding Bond also gives damage resistance so losing half of my considerable HP was actually an enormous amount of damage.

Is it not a game over if you lose that specific Durge fight? I didn't know so I had prepared to the best I could since it was honor mode.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 18, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Nope, which is why I thought the fight might be impossible to win.
I actually casted Otto's Irresistible Dance on my first turn (I won initiative of course) and since she started dancing I thought I had it in the bag before I was shown how wrong I was.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You have oil of accuracy that you'll otherwise never use, so that's an option too. Otherwise look for ways to gain advantage like a wolfheart barbarian buddy.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Now that patch 5 has been out a while, is there any indication of Halsin leaving the party if you keep Minthara on a good playthrough?

Does Minthara have banter with Characters that you wouldn’t originally have been able to have in the same party as her - Karlach, Wyll, Halsin, etc?

I had both in my honor run for the entire game.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I personally love half-wood-elf. You get the human equipment proficiencies (particularly the shield), stealth proficiency, charm resistance, darkvision and permanent extra movement. I wouldn't say it's the best but I like it a lot.

quote:

Dwarf if you’re playing a throwing barbie; since they get that incredible hammer that requires a dwarf.
You only need to cast disguise self or use one of the dozens of disguise kits you get in Act 3.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

I did with the good/neutral merchants I had designated as my regular sellers, or ones that regularly stocked potions of cloud giant strength in act 3
The trick is to donate money when you're level 1 (like after a respec) because it only costs like 400gp to max their friendliness and doesn't go away.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You do get the dice as long as you initiate the explosion via dialog at the brain stem when he talks to you himself and not via the toolbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You can basically just skip Rivington. I go and get my statue and deal with the Djinn but then I just head to the next area.

The nice thing about Act 3 is that you can just do the cool parts since you'll be at level 12 really quickly anyway.