Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

(ending spoilers) how can orph squid up if he doesn't have a tadpole. or does he

It's a plot hole outside of fan theories that the reason he can resist mindflayer influence is because of (insert theory here) that would make it make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

McCloud posted:

I would have preferred the original idea, in part because there'd be both a story and in game mechanic reason to either cram more tadpoles into your eyes or resist as much as you can, rather than what we have now where you are incentivized to gobble up as many as you can with no drawbacks. But I also agree that the dream guardian thing would have worked well too if they hadn't botched the landing

One thing I missed was how every party member had their own dream guardian that was trying to seduce them, like Lae'zel had Vlaakith, Wyll had Mizora, Gale had Mystra and Shadowheart had some dude she's lost her memories of (who apparantly turns out to be Nere, as part of another cut plotline where he was a Shar worshipper). That was a big draw for me to play as the Karlach origin, since I figured hers would be Zariel or something similar.

It also would have made the ending much cooler, with every party member confronting their literal demons on top of the Netherbrain.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

They could easily have given wormeating other drawbacks or even had drawbacks relating to the Emperor somehow, but I dunno what they would be.

In EA you didn't eat worms. Instead whenever you used the Illithid powers its connection grew and you'd have another dream with the implication that using the powers too much might make it strong enough to have serious plot effects later and take you over. After a few dreams you stop getting hostile dialogue options towards the dream visitor and pretty much act like you're giving in to it. I'm not sure that was a better concept since it just made everyone avoid using the powers but I did like that it was kind of an irreversable "this may or may not gently caress you in the future" mechanic. The original version was also more interesting imo since the tadpole seemed just as confused and frustrated by the situation as you were, so it might actually not be as simple as it first appears.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 28, 2024

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

mycot posted:

The problem with this is that it makes the dreams even more obviously sus because of course it's all fake if it's that direct.

Eh, the dream guardian is still obviously fake and I thought it was more interesting that the tadpole had to try and seduce you in the first place.

Also it being so obvious led to funny things like Lae'zel getting super loving angry at the tadpole pretending to be Vlaakith and SH not knowing who the gently caress this random drow is or why the tadpole thought she'd care.

Docjowles posted:

Interesting that there was cut content around Nere. It does feel like there’s a lot of buildup for a guy you just murder 30 seconds after finally releasing him

Apparantly the Shar plot used to be even more of a focus, there were audio files for the whole party worshipping her at one point.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 29, 2024

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Githzerai exist as proof that the Gith don't have to be evil. When the Gith freed themselves from the Illithids half of them decided to be a race of conquerers as the Githyanki while half decided to be isolationist psychic monks as the Githzerai. So it was literally a choice that then formed the two societies that serve to reinforce that behaviour in all future Gith.

And even then, the Githyanki were likely much less violent and fascist before Vlaakith took over.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Interesting. I guess they interpreted Tav and the "detective" from the Blood In Baldur's Gate ARG as being the same character, though I don't know how canon that is. Especially considering the ARG takes place 15 years before BG3.

The detective was named Tav in the ARG, so canonically there was a detective named Tav who Durge murdered. The default custom character in BG3's name is also Tav but they aren't the same character. If you pick that name it's just a coincidence that they have the same name.