Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Entropic posted:

I love the idea of mundane classes and skill trees for normal non adventuring stuff. Multiclassing from shopkeeper into 2 levels of grandma to get the “kindly smile” bonus action

3e had NPC classes that were things like commoner, noble, aristocrat, expert, and adept that were just (mostly) normal people. Like warrior was a martial class without any special features, expert just had a lot of skills, adept was the most trash mage possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You can just disable the appearance of armor from the inventory screen. No need for a dip just for unarmored defense. Hide one of the max dex armors and you simplify the build a lot. Dex-based PAM battle Master is much more straightforward. You'll even have enough feats to take lucky and mobile after maxing out dex.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Mat could be a fun blade pact warlock, since you could bind a polearm and use charisma for that, with his patron as the archfey/Eelfinn. Take four levels of that and switch to fighter, maybe more if you want to grab the third attack.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Come to think of it, he did make a pact. Flavour wise though he’s far more bard/battlemaster than warlock, he’s pretty anti spellcasting after all. You’d have to be a warlock but not use your spells. Come to think of it, don’t warlocks have an ability you can get - the dark one’s own luck? Kinda fitting.

Gotta have Volo take your eye too, for that late series energy.

Warlocks can just save their slot for counterspell.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

grinnard posted:

Speaking of which - why do dragons and dragonborn look exactly the same? So dragons can take on a humanoid form as well as the usual one, and they look exactly like dragonborn which supposedly only have a distant ancestor? Also how did that come about, did someone gently caress a dragon once? I was very confused when I met kithrak boss's dragon in the sewers.

???

Dragonborn don't really have a defined origin in DnD 5e, because they were shoehorned in so people could play dragons. They were a prestige race in an earlier edition, where you could petition the Dragon God to transform you into a dragonborn. In the Forgotten Realms they're aliens from another planet.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

2730 for the graceful cloth on HM jesus christ these prices are killing me.

Just kill the vendor, I did that accidentally one time and realized I saved so much money.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Emperor's heel turn doesn't do him many favors on the trustworthy bit, even if he ultimately follows through. He's constantly obfuscating throughout the game, some of which (mind raping Duke Stelmane) don't become apparent unless you pick certain paths and others (the Knights of the Shield are a cabal of devil worshippers) require out of game knowledge, all of which covers up that he's way more sinister than he presents

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Any cleric makes it a breeze because most of the enemies will suicide into spirit guardians.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Well it all circles back to the concept of the soul, which is a real thing that exists in D&D, and the contradictory evidence we have as to whether mind flayers have souls.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Dump int/wis/cha/str unless it's primary stat or you have a few leftover points (saving throws), make sure dex and con are nice round numbers, make sure dex lines up with armor (i.e. max +2 for medium unless you're doing something tricky).

Nearly everyone needs their dex rounded to 14, for example, unless they're laezel.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 28, 2023

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Shovel
Fork
Basket

e: under no circumstances should you name your child Orin.

Orin will likely hold up better than parents who named their kid Khaleesi or Daenerys.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Valtonen posted:

As a new player combat interface is super obtuse, and especially on coop it’s super hard to even try translating when is anyone’s turn. Also is there a reason most hit percentages on enemies at low levels are between 60 and 55? Bc that poo poo just kills enjoyment.

So 5e is balanced around a 65% hit rate or so at level appropriate encounters. As the game goes on, though, you start collecting magic items that push you ahead of the curve (5e is also balanced around not having magic items) and do other things to be more optimal. It's why there are mods that like boost you past the early levels, it's not so fun to play.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Fuzz posted:

So I'm still in Act 1 and only just hit level 5, but I've managed to break the combat over my knee by multiclassing Astarion into a Thief/Monk because ahahaha I was curious if the extra bonus action can be used for Flurry and oh my it can, and if you're positioned with advantage every hit is a sneak attack.

Karlach is already rocking face with straight Berserker, Wyll just got an extra attack with his pact weapon and is solid. My Sword Bard sucks but next level he'll finally get another attack. Gale is melting poo poo with lightning gear.

What are the good builds for Shadowheart? She's kinda extremely underwhelming as is, was thinking of converting her into a paladin or maybe mixing her with Ranger. gently caress the Gith chick, that whole race is trash and it's annoying the game features them so heavily in the story.

The thief/monk interaction is great (thief/berserker is also a thing for the same reasons, or thief/dual wielding) but it might be worth prioritizing getting monk 5 first because a normal attack is a bit more versatile than a bonus action attack as you'll burn through ki points.

The best cleric domains are Tempest, Light, and Life. Light is a blaster with some great fire spells and a clutch reaction to defend party members. Life gets heavy armor and is better at healing. Tempest is both a blaster and heavy armor. None of these are necessary because fundamentally you're getting your money out of a cleric if they just cast bless on the other party members.

Lae'zel shtick can be annoying but straight battle master fighter is very powerful. She can just decide an enemy shouldn't exist and it won't after her turn. As part of her romance, you duel her, and the one time I tried it she won initiative and melted my Durge paladin on her first turn.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Gale as a wild magic barbarian would be funny. Fundamentally there's very little keeping companions in their classes.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Is there reason to think they'll improve act 3 with updates over time? Heard mixed things about it.

Larian has a long history of improving their games after release. Baldurs Gate 3 has been a phenomenal success for them and there's no reason to think they'll stop. Act 3 is only mixed compared to the fun open sandbox of Act 1, which had years of polish through early access, and the banger of Act 2. Those are tough follow ups and they've already added content to improve the epilogue.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How do Boots of Stormy Clamor help with magic missile?

Spellsparkler does lightning damage on every spell. Every magic missile thus adds reverberation, which when it maxes out knocks the target prone and inflicts more Thunder damage. If they're still standing after the magic missile barrage, laezel can go and murder them with advantage.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I had no idea lightning was a condition. Awesome.

It's the boots that cause the condition. If you want to stack even more, there's a set of lightning robes that also provide some minor buffs for lightning charges.

It's not a late game broken build (unless you have a spotter with phalar aluve, which can add 1d4 Thunder per hit in its radius) but like throwing it comes online early and stays effective.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Don't feel a need to play a charisma class.Many classed have unique dialogue options that give them alternate ways through. Play what you feel like playing. BG3 is a fun way to try out a character build that you haven't had the opportunity to do in tabletop. You can respec yourself or a companion for pocket change very early.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you can throw goblins???

this changes everything

You appreciate the goblin camp so much more when you start fighting enemies that you can't pick up and throw at another enemy.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Jose posted:

i'll admit one of the reasons i want the level 20 mod is i'm playing a warlock/bard multiclass and got the robe that makes eldritch blast do extra damage based off my 21 charisma

There's a hat that adds a +2 and a mirror in the House of Grief that lets you get another boost. Toss on some more damage rider rings and the spellmight glove and you're done.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Comstar posted:

Go see the cleric one and tell her you have a problem and drink what she gives you.

Then don't bother trying to escape.

Someone will come help and you don't have to do anything. This is the easiest solution to a quest ever and no one seems to have ever do it.

Or you can pass your constitution check, she calls for help, and you fight the entire goblin camp right there.

Really the pro move is to get her in the room and don't even bother with dialogue, drop a silence spell and murder her.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

When people refer to act 1, act 2, etc., are these marked by title cards in the game or is just something fans referred to during development?

right now I just killed nere and freed the gnomes and now i'm trying to take the haunted elevator up on the way to moonrise towers - is that act 1 or act 2?

The underdark is a little fuzzy on when Act 2 begins, but I'd consider Nere and co to be the start. They're level 5+ which means they start to get extra attacks and more complex spells, and Nere drops one of the moonlantern that you eventually need. They're not as intense as the Githyanki in the monastery so it's less visible: that's definitely an Act 2 zone as the difficulty of the enemies really spikes. A team of Gith can wreck your poo poo if you're used to goblins.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Not my experience for sure, that's where my honor mode run ended, and I thought Grief was a piece of cake. How'd you beat House of Hope?

It's tough, but what works for me is just keeping Raphael stunned so that he never gets to take actions. He's relatively* vulnerable to wisdom saving throws.

He's also a pretty immobile spellcaster, so a one two combo of silence and difficult terrain/sentinel could neutralize him.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 3, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

loving lol

Just watched a video on YouTube of a resist Durge turned mindflayer at the epilogue party talking to an Ascendent Astarion (who might have been a romance partner?). Astarion says monstrous things, the mindflayer says that sounds bad, Astarion says who cares. Mindflayer gets the option to eat Astarion at the party. This initiates combat, but literally everyone at the party is on your side. Everyone’s green in the order.

Withers still kicks you out, but lolololol

Post final boss is your mysterious elven companion who's gained a great deal of power but lost their grip on morality.

But enough about Dragon Age Inquisition.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

mA posted:

Is there any effect on the story if you save some, but not all of the Gondians from the Iron Throne? My completionist impulse wants to free all of them, but I'm pretty done trying at this point.

The Gondians will still side with you if you save a lot, or maybe any, of them.

If you're struggling, try bringing a wizard/sorcerer who can cast haste and throwing that on a monk or rogue who can dash with bonus actions. Bonus points if you twin cast haste. One or two hasted characters is worth more than that sorcerer in terms of speed. One hasted character for each direction, the guy who goes south can grab Omeluum for a quick trip back. The sorcerer camps in the center, opens the doors there, and seals the southern doors once those two Gondians get through.

Potions of speed are tricky because they only last three turns and the last thing you want is to lose that fourth turn if you're not back yet.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tae posted:

Is there a weapon to use if you're not a lizard for melee, I feel like almost every greatsword I wanna use is racist towards non-lizards

Sarevok drops a greatsword that adds necrotic damage and heals you on each hit. Corpsegrinder in Act 3 is another maul that adds thunder damage, you get it from beating up the Stone Lord thugs near the shore. And Balduran's Giantslayer from Ansur.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

Halsin you motherfucker, all you had to do was stay near me and we would have killed everyone in Moonrise room by room before robbing the merchants, but no, you had to get stuck on some geometry and piss off the goblins, which you killed with an attack before I could stop you, triggering the guards, and the watching eyes, so I had to fight the entire goddamn platoon in dribs and drabs because I couldn't get to it to silence it.

You're lucky they are happy to forgive and forget the fact that all their butchered compatriots lie around us as we barter (so I can rob them efficiently).

That would have been a particularly dumb way to end my Honour Mode run.

Don't you get a pop-up warning you that there will be issues if you bring Halsin (or any non-Tadpoled companion, but he's the only one you can have at that point) to Moonrise?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's problematic in the same way being a divination wizard is problematic, because you get a pop up on every roll asking you to use your absolutely busted special ability.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Runa posted:

Astarion's Charisma is low because he's built using strict point buy and you need a dump stat or two if you want to afford a higher stat somewhere else.

In other words don't think about it, D&D mechanically sucks rear end.

The amusing bit is Halsin and Minsc have their stats reworked when they become companions: both have strength scores as NPCs that reflect their rippling muscles that are then tossed because it's not a good build for their classes (since Minsc defaults to a ranged fighter(?!?) and Halsin should always be wildshaped and never need his physical stats).

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I've seen memes for every romance option and murder mommy Orin. It takes all sorts.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The variations of Orin being secretly in your camp are easily disturbing. I haven't actually gotten it, but if she replaces Halsin it's theoretically possible to have a threesome with him at the same time. There's also this horrifying interaction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8drdjb6rEg

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
BG3 from Halsin's perspective must be a trip. First he teams up with Aradin and the Beno Boys, gets involved in whatever disaster that is, spends a significant amount of time trapped as a bear, presumably escapes when a murder hobo shows up and murders the goblins, returns to his grove to find that it's a hot mess under Kagha's leadership/possibly dead. Then he waddles off to the shadow-cursed lands where he launches his solo expedition to the Shadowfell. Then in Act 3 he spends another indeterminate amount of time imprisoned by the Bhaalists. All of this in addition to whatever he does while actually in your party. Also he possibly has one or more threesomes during this period.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

When are you supposed to use improvised melee weapons?

Believe it or not it came in clutch one time when I got beat up on an honor mode run by goblins and instead of dying wound up in prison.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Azran posted:

The wood creatures in Act 2 consistently wrecked me due to their ambushes, is there a way to get the upper hand there aside from just "don't fail Perception checks"?

Don't fail perception checks. They hit hard but can't take it, that's why the surprise round is so brutal. Alternatively just be so tanky yourself that it doesn't matter.

Blight will wreck their poo poo since it does maximum damage. They're just big sacks of HP without any sophisticated defenses to get through. But the small ones explode on death, which can wear down a high DPS melee fighter.

There's two groups of them and they're both very much optional, so you can avoid them.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

What’s the best way to use Javiera (without multi classing), even leveled up to 9 she feels pretty underwhelming other than the wild shape to owl bear

Druids are powerful casters with a lot of control spells to shape the battlefield or buff others, but they can be tricky to use. It is especially a problem with Jaheira because you get her at the end of Act 2 and do not have much experience with her spell list. It's especially a problem because a lot of her cool stuff is concentration and she will get targeted by enemies until you gear her up to have her AC match other party members.

When I did a run where I needed a tank I rebuilt her as an oath of the ancients paladin, specialized her in dex with the yuanti armor and the two weapon fighting bracers, and she was pretty intuitive there. A ranger would be mechanically similar.

She's canonically a fighter/druid and there can be a spore druid build which is a melee power house.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 13, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
edit: pocket post

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Straight class rogue is balanced around getting their sneak attack bonus every turn, which requires some careful play to make it happen. At level twelve that's 6d6 extra damage each round. The sneak attack is their equivalent of an extra attack. They're fine as long as you make sure he gets that sneak attack in (reliable methods are to hide before attacking or attack someone threatened by an ally).

Where that falls behind is that it's equivalent to what a great weapon fighter is probably putting out per attack at that level, so you're not going rogue for damage dealing if you're trying to optimize. You're going rogue for

1) skill proficiencies and expertise (traps, persuasion)

2) assassin critical hits on surprised enemies (pair with gloom stalker and fighter for synergy!)

3) thief extra bonus action

Having an extra bonus action is very useful for a build that can attack with a bonus action. Dual wielders are the tip of the ice berg: throwbarians can do another enraged throw and monks can do another Flurry of blows (which itself is two punches). A lot of builds pick up 3 or 4 random levels for thief just for that.

In my current honor mode plan, three of the builds take levels of rogue (gloomstalker assassin, throwbarian thief, open hand thief) because of how powerful it is.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 15, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
If the fifth closest thing to a God in the game tells you to do something, you lie and say yes.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You can do a lot of work with a surprise round and an AoE, is all I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The first time I played I was very careful not to use any fire spells in the fireworks factory. The second time I was very careful to blow it all up turn 1 after drinking a potion of fire resistance.