Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monathin posted:

All we really know about in that vein is that Larian did not intend to do Epilogues or DLC and BG3 was going to be a one-and-done release, but they pretty quickly pivoted once the money started rolling in, so I have to assume it widely outpaced even their most pie-in-the-sky expectations.

The current peak is almost 900k concurrent players.
So yeah, seems like it's been almost 10 times as popular as they expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-snip-

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There's kind of no point to making a custom Wizard, is there? Sorc does pretty much everything they do but 2x while also acing their speech checks and you gotta play as Gale to get some of the best spellcaster buffs.

Sorcerers don't have the flexibility that Wizards have, who can just switch spells in and out depending on what the problem is.
And also if you play a custom Wizard then you won't have to interact with Gale.
So it's a win/win.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

My Int-based Lore Bard/Divination Wizard Minthara was pretty clutch in my honor run. Being able to control the dice is really great along with the incredible utility she had. My Durge was also Cha for the checks though.

I used a similar build for my MC and it works extremely well.

An INT Bard/Wizard only loses out on a couple of offensive Bard spells and on the number of Wizard spells learned, but neither is an issue when Wizard offensive spells are much better and in return you get almost full advantages of both Bard and Wizard classes.
I threw 1 level of Lore Cleric of Mystra in there as well, because you can never have enough skill proficiencies and splashing Cleric into anything makes it stronger.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Just use the set int to 17 circlet that is in act 1.

Or I'll use the Diadem of Arcane Synergy to murderize everything instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

20 Int Bard/Wiz would fire off a magic missile, coupled with that piece of gear that gives you a Lightning Charge on every spell damage instance, and then use a Bonus Action offhand Hand Crossbow to trigger Lightning Charge proc and extra damage from Acuity.

I was using that combo until middle of Act 3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the last paragraph of this imply that in the afterlife souls don't keep their memories?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

alcaras posted:

Where’s a good place to find a Scroll of Haste in Act 1 so Gale can learn Haste? I hit level 5 but am 2 Tempest Cle / 3 Div Wiz so need a scroll.

There are a certain number of spells that don't have a scroll, at all. Haste is one of them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grack posted:

What are you talking about, Haste scrolls absolutely exist. I know it's in Act 3, but Sorcerous Sundries carries them all the time.

I will grant that they are extremely rare, though, especially early game.

My bad then, I don't remember seeing a Haste scroll.

There are several spells that absolutely don't have scrolls though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Slashrat posted:

That's actually what happens. Petitioners (souls of the dead that have moved on to dwell in their respective afterlives in the Outer Planes) usually don't retain memories of their previous life and at best might simply express strong emotions for something or someone that was important to them in life. In some cases they might even find themselves 'remodeled' by whatever deity holds sway over their afterlife. Non-dwarven worshippers of a dwarven deity might end up getting turned into petitioners that look like the platonic ideal of a dwarf for example.

That really simplifies the duscussion around Illithid souls to "it doesn't even matter".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Entropic posted:

I give it to Karlach because Lae’zel ends up using the burning sword that you can Command:drop from the demon at the end of the Nautiloid tutorial for like half the game.

Uhh...not the Githyanki Greatsword from the Creche? That's like, the second best weapon in the game for her.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

So, Karlach's portrait in my current run is just broken. I leveled her up, and when I came out of the screen her portrait is now just pitch black and you can see a tiny bit of her eyes, that's it

Reloading/resting doesn't seem to fix it. Is there a way to trigger it to reload? Didn't seem like changing her gear made it happen but then again I have her helmet hidden so maybe that's why..

Try respeccing her. That usually fixes it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhh....how do you win the Jackpot?
I just got it on my first run and I don't remember doing anything special for it. Now on my second run, I'm just not getting any option to do that no matter how many times I spin.

Is it some kind of passive check or something?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Did they teach enemies to pick up their weapons yet?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tarbrush posted:

I had to stop playing for a bit because killing the owlbear made me sad

Why did you do it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That fight is why I always carry a couple of knockback arrows even in a party with no archers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if it would be worth it dipping into Swordlock for throwing build for the ability to make any weapon returning.
Probably not.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does Honor Mode allow for respeccing/hirelings?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FalconImpala posted:

I made a 99-cent-store Geralt of Rivia and he got wiped by bandits after falling through a hole in the floor :( Any reason not to rest after every fight? I know almost nothing about D&D and it's hard to tell how often I should be sleeping

A good rule of thumb is to Short Rest after every encounter and Long Rest when you're out of short rests.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-final-interview-game-of-the-year-2023-characters-endings

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IMO the game should enforce some of those Long Rests to not have players miss scenes like that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shard posted:

I read this and I can feel the dev teams annoyance with the interviewer lol

Games journalists

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ashcans posted:

If you don’t recruit Shadowheart at the beach, I think she moves to the grove and you can recruit her there.

If you didn’t reduce her on the Nautilus I think she isn’t at the beach and starts at the ruins instead?

Yeah, that's right.
It's really difficult to miss her, even if you purposefully try to. For obvious reasons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shard posted:

My favorite was right at the beginning.

Interviewer: "So I think I'll just start with my girl, Karlach. I feel like she maybe it has grown the most since launch because she got a better ending, which was the ending I specifically went for or invading hell together, even though she friend zoned me. She got even a little more detail and everything. I know that most of her personal quest was cut out of Act 3..."

Swen Vincke, Director: "It was never cut."

Adam Smith, Lead Writer: "No."

SV: "It was never there."

Interviewer: "It was just never there."

Also the interviewer going "You said there's thousands of ending but there's only like two." and Swen going "We respectfully disagree." which is basically him calling the interviewer a moron in PR speak.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Buddy, I'm playing as him.

It still works.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

When playing on PC, why is it when I use nvidia dlss settings that it turns off antialiasing?

Because DLSS automatically antialiases the image so using anything else on top of that is just counter-productive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Actually that's pretty cool.
It makes for an organic story rather than you quicksaving your way to the best results every time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Owned.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

About the tadpoles (act 1): I have avoided using them so far. Is this choice worth it by the end of the game? Does it change anything meaningfully?

ChronoReverse posted:

No. /Withers

That one spoilery IGN interview actually confirmed that your reward for doing that is slightly lowered DC on one specific check if you choose to oppose one specific character The Emperor.

So...No.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

What you're saying is, I was playing on hard mode by not consuming any tadpoles at all. I knew I was an epic gamer.

Yes but also, the game is really easy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

tadpoling all the way through gets you the coolest ending in the game imo where you turn into an Illithid, save the world, and then immediately stab yourself in the gut fifty times rapidly while your party members watch on in stunned silent horror. I came here to rid the world of evil folks and that means All evil. Jaheira screaming out 'STOP THIS MADNESS' or insanity or w/e she says, meanwhile I've already made about 15 new holes inside of my squid guts

Have you learned nothing from Omeluum?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geekboy posted:

More than 1200 hours and I just now found out who Shovel is.

You mean Fork.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

How is every warlock built around eldritch blast when there is a whole subclass about using swords?

Because Swordlocks muticlass from Paladin.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They'd probably lose at least 20% of their sales if they ditched Halsin, probably more.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I don't see how. It's not like they'd have to drop the bear sex scene entirely :v:

That's fair.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Science_enthusiast posted:

Sorry if it has been asked a million times: but has anyone here played a significant amount on steam deck. Last tried on release and it was ugly. If i could expect 24 - 30 fps, all low graphics- could i hope to get a couple of hours battery?

I haven't but the last patch has had a big performance pass integrated from the console versions, so I imagine that it probably had some improvements.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Just gonna say it: this game would be more fun if you got feats every 3 levels instead of 4

It would be even more fun if it broke even more moronic D&D conventions, but alas, you'll have to take it up with WotC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If there's something I would fix it without rewriting all of 5E it would be giving an ASI to some of the more underutilized feats, so that you don't always mathematically lose out on 20 mainstat by taking them. Like Dungeon Delver could also give +1 WIS, Spell Sniper could give +1 to one of WIS, CHA, or INT, etc.

The fact that there's no useful feats that give Int or Wis is loving stupid.

Int in general is an incredibly garbage stat in D&D because it does nothing but scale Wizards and any other bonuses are completely reliant on the DM.

Something something INT being bad and D&D fans.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not sure more power is needed in a game that is already too easy even on honour mode and even if you're not going out of your way to break it in half

More interesting options don't have to be more powerful.