Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Good OP. I'm just glad the Basic Chunnel post was preserved for posterity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Has larian ever stated how many copies they expected to sell? It must be loving wild to sell 22 million plus copies and counting in a few months when your previous game sold 7.5 million over 6 years and was considered a huge success.

Where are you getting 22 million from? More likely, it's still pretty close to that 7.5 million figure from D:OS 2 right now, but considering that it's currently the best-selling game on Steam* (four months after release and at full price), that the Xbox version was just released, and that Christmas is coming up, it should have no trouble reaching at least 10 million by the end of the year.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The spread on SteamDB is so wide as to make the estimations almost useless. According to PlayTracker it's 5.48m, whereas SteamSpy apparently puts it at 27.44m (lol). Probably the only thing we can say with near-certainty is that it's way more than five million at this point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Can you explain this? Because I don't know much about how they get their estimates but based on steamdb I would assume it's scraping data from steam itself?

e: I'm not disputing, 20 million plus would be completely insane but I'm curious as how their estimates are so inflated

The Steam sales numbers themselves aren't publicly available, so these trackers have to extrapolate from other statistics. This means that any given tracker's estimate will depend on which indicators they use, and how much weight they attach to each one respectively. For example, if their calculation is heavily based on the number of Steam reviews, they will get inflated numbers for games where (for whatever reason) an unusally large proportion of owners has reviewed it.

I don't know why the spread for Baldur's Gate 3 in particular is so ludicrous. Maybe because it's still relatively new.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know if you'll ever get a precise figure before Larian announces it themselves, but just going by number of Steam reviews, BG3 is already at ~440,000 only three months after release, having never once gone on sale. Most AAA games have about a 50:1 review to sale ratio, so that would extend to ~22 million sales total. It will probably eclipse Elden Ring (550,000) and CP2077 (600,000) within the next year, which are both confirmed 20+ million sellers, so I think even most conservative estimates would put them in the same neighborhood. Now, I also think the percentage of players who bought BG3 on Steam is probably way higher compared to those other two games, and there were a significant number of EA reviews prior to the full release, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's a megaseller. Even if you go by Steam reviews for Divinity: Original Sin 2 (~150,000 with 7.5 million confirmed sales) and extrapolate, that puts BG3 in ~22mil territory.

Larian recently said that about 1.3 million people had completed BG3. Even with a <20% completion rate, that seems to indicate that total sales must still be far below 20 million. Right? Regardless, it's true that we can only speculate at this point.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 9, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BG3 is where my muscle memory from years of playing CRPGs finally paid off. I F5'ed at every opportunity and ended the game with thousands of saves. Never lost any progress.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I recently started playing Solasta since I needed my CRPG fix, and I have to say it's pretty good. Obviously, with its budget, it doesn't have the cinematics or writing of Baldur's Gate 3, but the combat is satisfying and very faithful to D&D 5e. Worth checking out if you enjoy that aspect of BG3.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Nothing wrong here, Shadowheart says while looking at me like this.

Women, amirite fellas

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Patch 5 is finally out for MacOS, so I guess I can actually start playing the game again.

Judging by all the angry Steam posts, they really underestimated how many people would be playing this on a Mac

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What I really like about these voice actors, other than the fact that they're excellent at what they do, is that they seem very enthusiastic about the project/game, beyond what would be expected from professionals. Amelia Tyler recently said, paraphrasing, that she would give her left arm to work with Larian again. It's a good indication that they were never exploited or treated shittily by management.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thuryl posted:

I think one of the most interesting notes in that interview is that Orin did originally always kidnap your romance partner if you had one, and they changed it because playtesters hated it.

In my playthrough they kidnapped Gale, whom I never used and did not feel strongly about either way. So I only got around to rescuing him after doing about a dozen side quests first

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished Solasta's main campaign. Not bad if you're looking for another game in which to build characters and fight using the D&D 5e ruleset. Obviously as a low-budget title it doesn't hold a candle to BG3 in terms of cinematics, voice acting, and writing, but weirdly enough there are actually a few things Larian could learn from it. For example, having the game warn you if you're about to break Concentration, or having the party stop all movement when they spot a trap. The latter is really inexcusable when you realize Pillars of Eternity had a fully functional, customizable auto-pause system all the way back in 2015.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What you're saying is, I was playing on hard mode by not consuming any tadpoles at all. I knew I was an epic gamer.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zirak posted:

I saw it when hovering over Shadowheart's proficiencies on her character sheet yesterday, weirdly. Two entries saying Not Found.

Harsh. She already has such low self-esteem

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So do orcs and elves produce fertile offspring as well? You know, I've never thought about this before, probably for good reason

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

space uncle posted:

My camp chest has enough wine and vegetables to feed an entire army, dozens of Supply Packs, and yet I must check every Rotten Basket to make sure that carrot really is rotten and isn’t edible. I’m still looting chickens well into Act 3.

Brain problems.

This is how I ended up with over 110k gold despite there being nothing to spend it on. Turn back before it's too late

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Halsin is not especially popular itt but the internet loves big bear daddy.

Yeah, goons just like standing out compared to the general population. Remember when Larian dropped the latest stats a while back, and it turned out that something like 51% of players had romanced Shadowheart? Not 51% of those pursuing romances with female characters, not even 51% of those choosing to romance in general, but 51% of all players.

And I'm not going to lie, being a basic bitch myself I also romanced Shadowheart during my first playthrough. However, next time around I'm planning on wooing Minthara, which should put me in a more exclusive club of special snowflakes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

The SH romance is pretty well done though, and while the game doesn't exactly railroad you into dating her it's sign posted pretty hard.

That is true, although I wonder how much of Shadowheart's popularity is related to her appearance. I like both Karlach and Lae'zel as characters, but they are very obviously non-human, whereas SH is a conventionally attractive, normal-looking young woman. Yes, she's technically a half-elf, but all that means in practical terms is that she has slightly pointy ears.

You don't really have that contrast among the main male love interests. Gale, Astarion (same caveat as SH), and Wyll (although he becomes markedly less human after a certain point in the story) are all presented as attractive human men.

I'm probably spending way too much time thinking about this, but I do think it partly explains Shadowheart's disproportionate popularity

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I heard Minthara is the jealous type, so watch out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Party In My Diapee posted:

For all the deserved praise this game has gotten, not being able to fix minor bugs after so many months is disappointing.

Submit a bug report! If enough people point something out, there's a good chance they actually will fix it, based on precedent.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It wasn't supposed to be possible to have them in the same party until very recently, so I'm not surprised they don't have any banter. I wouldn't be surprised if the madmen at Larian patched this in at some point, however

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Agreed, and also, Kagha. I can fix her

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm seeing people thirsting for Alfira and Kagha, but no one wants any hot milf action with Jaheira? Sad.

I do but she's recruitable so you can already have her be naked in cutscenes and stuff

Uhhhhh I mean yes you're right I would love to build a deep emotional connection with Jaheira, Larian pls

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Her previous choice of partner, which she hasn't been able to get over despite more than a century passing, reveals that she's really into goony losers, which means we're a perfect fit

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hotfix addressing several issues just dropped:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3878226811922849512

No more Pinocchios

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There is currently a bug on PC where trying to drag and drop items to sell will drag the item several slots below the one you're hovering over. Meaning you end up selling stuff you probably didn't want to sell. Very annoying

Is this a problem introduced by today's hotfix?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Steam Awards are live again. Baldur's Gate 3 is a shoo-in for Game of the Year, as far as I'm concerned. The only other nominee I've played is Hogwarts Legacy, and that was just a boring game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Geekboy posted:

BG3 is a whopping 10% off for the Steam Sale.

Meanwhile Starfield is 30% off and Diablo 4 is 40% off.

Clearly they don't need the sales bump.

I mean, BG3 is currently the best-selling game on Steam.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No need she's doing just fine in there

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

what's mind sanctuary

Nothing much, what's Mind Sanctuary with you?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was talking to my sister over Christmas dinner, and apparently she used to be in the Chiro (local youth movement) with Joachim Vleminckx, who is the art director for Baldur's Gate 3. Hometown hero, it really is a small country. I'd love to shake his hand, but he probably gets enough positive attention as is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Black Noise posted:

The only thing I know about Planescape Torment unfortunately is BABES! DEMON BABES! UNDEAD BABES! ASIAN BABES!

Did they change the nature of a man?

The actual quote includes 'human babes', making 'Asian babes' even funnier

I don't think there even are any Asian babes in P:T

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

it's from Planescape: Torment's internal pitch document

To be fair, that actually is something Morte would say. However, it's still very funny if you know how serious and contemplative the general tone of Planescape: Torment is

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Those guys are dicks, you can turn them hostile really easily, so I killed them all. I might have been playing a good guy, but I still don't take any guff.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I never got that scene with Karlach. It's crazy how much content you can miss in this game if you just do one playthrough.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lauresh posted:

It's been genuinely nice to sink my teeth into a game with the depth and love that Larian has put into this one, I do find myself reloading saves to re do interactions to get better outcomes quite a bit which is very reminiscent of old Bioware games.

Still on Act 1 but having a great time.

Agreed, although I might have taken it a little too far, having ended my playthrough with 3k+ saves.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

What do you guys think getting Friends'd feels like? Surely it's a pleasurable sensation

I don't know but I hope to have friends one day

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

My wife is 5 months pregnant and I’m pushing for a BG3 related name so far got it narrowed down to:

Karlach
Brinna
Necromite

Netherbrain
Dribbles
Orin

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

My wife is 5 months pregnant and I’m pushing for a BG3 related name so far got it narrowed down to:

Karlach
Brinna
Necromite

Just realized, five months pregnant...BG3 came out five months ago...this will be the ultimate BG3 baby

e: our precious little Necromite, conceived on August 3rd 2023, developed and published by me and my wife

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 30, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I do hope BG3's success will lead to an increased interest in western RPGs in general and for the suits to clear their studios to tackle the genre more seriously, but I really can't think of anyone other than Larian that could make something with the scale and production standards of BG3. Owlcat could get there in some titles if their games keep selling, dunno if Obsidian is interested/equipped in returning to the genre after Tyranny and PoE2 flopped and BioWare, well, lol lmao. Also RIP Harebrained Schemes.

Obsidian getting back to making isometric CRPGs would be awesome. Did Deadfire really flop? I feel like it's one of those slow burners with a long shelf life, that's probably selling at a decent rate on Steam even to this day. I remember really liking it, and I normally don't care for nautical/pirate themes and aesthetics at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jose posted:

so uh other than the solution i found online of killing myself and resurrecting is there any other way to fix a dislocated shoulder?

Go see a doctor, don't just blindly trust WebMD